Login

russian armor

Maps that induce camping.

1 May 2014, 22:56 PM

Forgive me, but isn't VP play inherently campy ? It's already been said, but the whole point is to hang on to the VPs. Why throw yourself out there for an annihilation foray, when you can just run down the clock ? Personally, I'm not a huge fan of that, because I enjoy tactically interesting battles, but "camping" is pretty much the name of the game...."Company of Camping Heroes" ! ....I just made myself chuckle.

It goes both ways. The fact that a loosing player is on a clock also means he has to be more aggressive or pay the price. He can't just dig in whilst holding 0-1 VP.
2 May 2014, 00:46 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

OMG fecking MG42 camper!!

I found it funny reading this on an RTS. You have the right tools to punish someone who just turtle up, at least on early game-midgame. Once we hit the "Elephant/Pak43/ISU152" stage, unless you made a bad tech/commander choice you should also be able to deal with it.
2 May 2014, 03:43 AM

Due to the recent cover changes and what not I find most games are a camp fest/delay tactics until the first armour piece arrives.

Rather boring if you ask me
2 May 2014, 07:12 AM

Rails and metal map.

Select germans, make Maginot line with MG42s, PaKs and mortars, wait for ele and tiger, win.

Its that much more hilarious as it is oh so praised vcoh map.

Its quite hard to find more campy map in automatch now that Pripcamp river was removed.

I loved rails and metal in vCoH and you are right, if you don't go ultra aggressive as soviets right from the start you will usually lose the fight.

Minsk and Langres Winter are also terrible.
2 May 2014, 07:39 AM

Anyone who thinks CoH2 is too campy clearly has not experienced the bridge maps from CoH1.

You think these maps are campy? Imagine a map with 3 crossings (2 are destructible), and with both sides getting Bunkers and Tank Traps right off the bat. Now imagine this with a faction that's literally based off building Bunkers (MG Bunkers, AT Bunkers, AA Bunkers, Howitzer Bunkers...)
2 May 2014, 07:42 AM

Doesnt anybody find Crossing campy? Either side has usually their side in the late game and it simply becomes a war all about the VP's. Not fun when each army has a bazillion of MG's and Pak's set up.. Offensive play is harder and gets punished on this map.
2 May 2014, 08:05 AM

Omg paks and mg and defenses?
Fekking cemper :s
2 May 2014, 09:05 AM

Crossing isn't that campy, it's one of the more mobile maps where pushes constantly changes left-right. It's only campy when an Elefant/ISU shows up on the map and sits in the center, but all maps (except Stalingrad) turn campy when the Elefant/ISU is on the field.
2 May 2014, 09:27 AM

Anyone who thinks CoH2 is too campy clearly has not experienced the bridge maps from CoH1.

You think these maps are campy? Imagine a map with 3 crossings (2 are destructible), and with both sides getting Bunkers and Tank Traps right off the bat. Now imagine this with a faction that's literally based off building Bunkers (MG Bunkers, AT Bunkers, AA Bunkers, Howitzer Bunkers...)

vCoH did not had 100 range behemoths, one indestructible making not even heaviest armor can come close, one anti all.

These two are the main reason camping exists.

Sadly, they won't be removed.
2 May 2014, 10:04 AM
Patrion 14

Pro-tip:

If someone is digging-in at an area, just attack somewhere else. If someone is pouring all his resources into defending one point of the map, the rest of the map becomes 4v3. Communicate and coordinate with your team mates to concentrate your attacks against points that are not defended by a dug-in player, you should overrun these points easily.

Then transition of some heavy artillery like howitzers or katyuskas/panzerwerfers to crack the enemies strong points.

Sometimes thats why i hate teamgames. I´m often the guy who has to deal with more than 1 opponent because the rest of my team is sitting around and waiting that maybe an enemy is walking in front of their pak/mg whatever.
2 May 2014, 14:09 PM

None of which were in automatch.
2 May 2014, 14:10 PM

Nothing ruins a campsite more than heavy smoke.

Smoke has got to be one of the most underused features in CoH2.

Fascists hiding behind bunker? dont know what to do? Can't get through the chokepoint? Drop a smoke barrage all over their faces and a direct assault has never been made easier.
2 May 2014, 14:13 PM

Nothing ruins a campsite more than heavy smoke.

Smoke has got to be one of the most underused features in CoH2.

Fascists hiding behind bunker? dont know what to do? Can't get through the chokepoint? Drop a smoke barrage all over their faces and a direct assault has never been made easier.
2 May 2014, 14:34 PM

I can kind of understand some maps favouring turtling, but isn't turtling one of the main tenets of RTS games? I understand that CoH isn't really as much an RTS as some other games, but I imagine the same basics apply in some form (rushing,turtling, booming).

It reminds me of when Age of Empires 3 was ruined by having a million '45 minutes no Rush' games spring up in the customs.

EDIT: Before anyone mentions it, I'm a rubbish player and don't play that often anymore, but that's my 2c. Again, I do understand that maps can be unbalanced, but I don't know if I would say it can break the game.
2 May 2014, 21:57 PM

I'm not saying that massing for an assault is bad. I have just had too many rounds recently were my Oshteer teammates stood back and did nothing whenever an offensive was launched. It would quickly turn into a rout as all the soviets shifted to meet me, yet my teammates would sit in their bunkers because they thought they would be invincible there... A painful byproduct of 4v4 I suppose.
2 May 2014, 21:58 PM

Sometimes thats why i hate teamgames. I´m often the guy who has to deal with more than 1 opponent because the rest of my team is sitting around and waiting that maybe an enemy is walking in front of their pak/mg whatever.

+1
2 May 2014, 23:10 PM

Calliope
3 May 2014, 03:27 AM
Honorary Member Badge

[Plutarch]We are told that Publius Silo who had the greatest authority and power among the enemy, once said to him, "If thou art a great general, Marius, come down and fight it out with us"; to which Marius answer, "Nay, but do thou, if thou art a great general, force me to fight it out with you against my will."[/Plutarch]
3 May 2014, 07:22 AM

The recent artillery nerf made fighting campy opponents even worse.
4 May 2014, 22:11 PM

I'm not saying that massing for an assault is bad. I have just had too many rounds recently were my Oshteer teammates stood back and did nothing whenever an offensive was launched. It would quickly turn into a rout as all the soviets shifted to meet me, yet my teammates would sit in their bunkers because they thought they would be invincible there... A painful byproduct of 4v4 I suppose.

Hi, I'm a camper.

A lot of times this just has to do with poor teamwork. So many times when I'm playing (particularly as Ostheer), you have the armchair generals who begin by pinging the map at the fuel points to say "we need fuel." Countless times on Steppes this happens, and I go to secure the bottom island, where there is a VP, a fuel point, and 3 strat points immediately surrounding.

Typically, yeah, I buckle that down with defensive measures-- combined arms and all of that, and almost inevitably I end up facing heavy enemy counter-attacks for a while. I tailor my defense to making sure that at whatever cost we keep that fuel point, that VP, and the surrounding strat points, because they represent a disproportionate amount of our income for teching.

Of course, as my teammates get pushed back elsewhere, I'm called a noob, an idiot, a faggot, a retard, etc. because I'm not pointlessly pushing when nobody has formulated more of an attack plan than frantically clicking the middle of the map screaming "NOOBS!" I'd be happy to help were it not for the fact that I alone, the noob camper, am the only one defending our only resource income and victory point while everyone is pushed back so that we're not hopelessly triple capped with barely a trickle of fuel coming in.

I get sick and tired of being blamed for being "asleep" with hulled-down Vet 3 panthers on the southern island (Gee, wonder how they got to Vet 3, I guess it was by doing nothing), when the rest of my teammates are making idiotic teching choices.

Oh, the enemy went heavy T4 and ZiS guns? Well my teammates feel the best counter to that are PIVs, StuGs, and Tigers. That's such a massive failure on the strategic level that my two Panthers, no matter how amazing they are, can't make up for those type of strategic errors.

But, alas, I am a camper.

I am a noob, a retard, an idiot, and a faggot.

And the more someone verbally harasses me rather than asking for help or planing a flank needing my troops, the less and less likely it is that I'm going to help someone acting like an asshole. Because were someone to maybe ask nicely, or help me mine the island fully so my troops could leave (since Ostheer players have a hard-on for fuel caches and not Munis), I'd gladly help elsewhere. But 90% of the time, honestly, it's just assholes looking for someone to blame because they made bad decisions.

I'm not saying you're one of these people, just giving a different perspective.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★