21 Feb 2014, 18:53 PM

320 MP just die like flies to cons?

Countering assgrens 3 steps:

(1) Run
(2) Spread
(3) Focus fire

Done
21 Feb 2014, 18:59 PM

maybe if they didn't follow you to an open area and fight in a corner it would be the other way around
21 Feb 2014, 19:01 PM

Weren't they 320mp in the last patch?
21 Feb 2014, 19:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 19:01 PMlink0
Weren't they 320mp in the last patch?

Doesn't do anything with patch, they were and are still useless.

maybe if they didn't follow you to an open area and fight in a corner it would be the other way around

If they didn't follow their target and shoot at zero range, they are more worthless than Ostssssopen
21 Feb 2014, 19:09 PM

AGrens are actually awesome. Just don't make more than two of them because you still need some normal Grens for faust mid/late game.
21 Feb 2014, 19:21 PM

Ass-grens are a high risk opening, you have to rely on meeting a less or equivalent number of conscripts squads and then being able to close range to them quickly, if you fail in the first few mins of the game you're probably going to lose.

My criticism would be that the Ass-Grens shoudlve flanked around the furthest side of the garrisoned building and focused fire on those conscripts while using the wall as cover from the other squad - ten seconds and the garrisoned conscript squad would've been down. Then I would've taken the Assgrens and charged for the closest conscript squad trying to engage at point blank range if possible. Ass-grens fire good on the move, so try and chase down the other conscript squad and force them to retreat as well.

I agree that the Ass-Grens could use a buff, not a massive buff, but enough to make them worth the 320mp.

Edit: Watching it again I notice you actually had the advantage when one of the conscript squads fled, you should've immediately chased down the conscripts to the left, leading with your full health squad, and you probably would've won the engagement. Instead you stayed between two conscripts squads for a few seconds and at that range and at that position you were always going to lose.

Edit 2: And when I talk about a buff for Ass-Grens I'm thinking more in the line of vet bonuses, they don't do well mid-late game so it would be nice if the vet bonuses could make them a little more usefull for later on in the match
21 Feb 2014, 19:25 PM
Honorary Member Badge

im sorry but ass grens are awsome
21 Feb 2014, 19:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 19:25 PMWiFiDi
im sorry but ass grens are awsome

Enlighten me with some awesomeness show, please?

Edit: Watching it again I notice you actually had the advantage when one of the conscript squads fled, you should've immediately chased down the conscripts to the left, leading with your full health squad, and you probably would've won the engagement. Instead you stayed between two conscripts squads for a few seconds and at that range and at that position you were always going to lose.

I was the Soviet player :/
21 Feb 2014, 19:38 PM

They are awesome in how they're one of the very few early shock units the Germans have.

They're great at flanking and cleaning up emplacements in the early going, where it would take Grens nigh on a century to clear a 6-man support unit (without them running away).

They certainly are risky in 1v1 but like everything else, less so in 2v2.
21 Feb 2014, 19:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 19:32 PMPorygon

I was the Soviet player :/

Ah, well good job then! :D

I like Ass-Grens but they only work on certain maps and against certain doctrines. You also have to be very aggressive with them which is something a lot of German players with an MG-opening mentality, including myself, struggle with.
21 Feb 2014, 20:01 PM

Maybe if you didn't engage 3 squads in better cover, run over red cover and kept close instead of mid range you'd do better?
21 Feb 2014, 20:15 PM

I could see them lowered in cost to say 300MP. They are niche and easily countered. I mean if PENALS can beat em.....what more can one say....

Firepowerwise your always better off with LMG grens IMHO. It would be like build Penal Battalions when you have PPSH scripts....why?

Edit: Now back in the day when they came out and you couldnt build T1 for a dogs age I could understand why they upped the cost.
21 Feb 2014, 20:18 PM

Permanently Banned
720 well micro'd manpower wins against 640 terribly micro'd manpower? No way!
21 Feb 2014, 20:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 20:01 PMKatitof
Maybe if you didn't engage 3 squads in better cover, run over red cover and kept close instead of mid range you'd do better?

This. They are great for killing support weapons, since they kill them fast while grens take forever to kill a 6 man squad.
21 Feb 2014, 21:20 PM

Permanently Banned
Is """""Assault""""" grenadiers, with MP40 ($hit)...

No one SGT44 for good...

Never use this """""Assault""""" grenadiers...

The only real good is the 5 grenades (but a little weak or sometimes dont work fine) if the 5 guys are live...
21 Feb 2014, 22:17 PM

That Bryan fella was probably admiring his good looks and wit when that happened..

Imo assault grens don't scale well. Cons will beat them if blobbed. I follow up with MG42's for this reason. Once cons get the ppsh, you can forget about your ass grens as an assault force. I'd like to see them at least get the faust after t1 is teched or as a vet ability.

As for this video, *shrug*, between a rock and a hard place, it certainly takes allot more then 10 seconds to clear a garrisoned building. As it was, I went for the cheeky decap on the cut off and hoped to catch one squad on the retreat before I bugged out (nearly got it). By going that side of the building, less cons would shoot out of a garrison. Did not expect a 4 man squad to drop so rapidly in green cover. Once you are outnumbered by cons, your in trouble with ass grens allot of the time.

My other option was to soft peddle back to an Mg42 coming onto the field. Maybe I made the wrong choice.
21 Feb 2014, 23:34 PM

assgrens are great for protecting an mg42 or at guns from a flank
21 Feb 2014, 23:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 21:20 PMBravus
The only real good is the 5 grenades (but a little weak or sometimes dont work fine) if the 5 guys are live...

Are you kidding? That's their weakest link. I don't spend 45 mun and temporarily drop my DPS to 0 to kill one guy and make the enemy squad dance.. Give me a Guard grenade- hell I'd take a Shock's Grenade!
22 Feb 2014, 02:13 AM

Just need to stay more close and follow. Cons can't shoot backwards.
22 Feb 2014, 03:50 AM
Patrion 27

After watching the clip it's my opinion that, as per usual, Porygon is just spewing hyperbole.

If the Assgrens had won this engagement I would say things were unbalanced. They were unsupported and constantly moving. Assgrens are for flanking, taking out weapon teams and holding the fuel in the early game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 56
Poland 10
United States 16
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %