Login

russian armor

Observer Mode - Coming Soon™

18 Feb 2014, 17:37 PM

They took the time to specifically mention it in the video. They are doing it to judge community feedback and interest in such a feature.

Edit: Such downers.
18 Feb 2014, 17:47 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Every (well not EVERY) feature is welcomed.

@Napalm people prefered to be cautious before being let down by the game. Again.
18 Feb 2014, 17:50 PM

Understood. However, it would be nice for this community to recognize some of the positive achievements Relic is making.
18 Feb 2014, 17:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 16:50 PMNoun

It's important to clarify that this is a potential new feature, not a promise for a new feature.

Edit: I'm not saying either way, I just want to avoid a situation where 9 months from now people are linking to this thread saying we lied.

Too late.
The "observer mode" phrase was mentioned on dev side.

This means the community thinks now it will be implemented for 100% in the next patch and when it won't, the butthurt will be so strong that your grandkids will feel it.

Thats how coh2 community rolls.
18 Feb 2014, 18:02 PM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

No that's not how the coh2 community rolls. We know Battle Servers are the first step for other "server side" features and we hope that Observer Mode would be among those Relic will end up doing, that's all.
18 Feb 2014, 18:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 17:56 PMKatitof

Thats how coh2 community rolls.

Observer Mode 2/18/2014 Neva Forget

*insert doge here*
18 Feb 2014, 18:10 PM
Donator 33

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 17:56 PMKatitof

This means the community thinks now it will be implemented for 100% in the next patch and when it won't, the butthurt will be so strong that your grandkids will feel it.

What a pathetic post. I understand you're tired of the rage, that is a constructive and commendable feeling - but you just managed to turn your own strength into a post that reflects really poorly on you.

If Relic manages to get this game on the somewhat right track, you'll see a very productive community. This patch looks really great, which will make the board ease up.
18 Feb 2014, 18:13 PM

I think the increasing in negativeness and butthurt in the CoH community is precisely the lack of info.

Seriously, I think that people here is sufficiently mature to accept that Relic can be working in something and probably it will take a long time to develop or perhaps it will be abandoned before it's made.

I prefer to know that developers were working in a possible observer mode and finally gave up for any reason than not knowing anything and think that they were only making up new commanders to take my money.

Some big names in the community probably know what is being cooked in Relic's kitchen and they can be optimistic about CoH2's future. But us, the common player crowd, don't know anything of that and the lack of info about future projects, not involving DLCs or balance, is killing our patience.

So I'm glad to hear that developers are pondering over an observer mode, even if it's never made. Knowing Relic's agenda probably would be enough to calm down some pessimistic moods.
18 Feb 2014, 18:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 18:03 PMwooof

Observer Mode 2/18/2014 Neva Forget

*insert doge here*

As the official doge representative for this community allow me.

18 Feb 2014, 18:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 17:10 PMInverse

Well, it's kinda silly to say "Hey, this is possible now!" when it was entirely possible before. And it isn't a feature that the compstomp crowd cares about, so I doubt it's a priority for the development team.

There's a lot of people in between compstomp and uber competitive that you're leaving out here, probably the largest group of all.
18 Feb 2014, 18:34 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Observer mode is not only good for e-sports and broadcasting, it is also good for simply playing with your friends in a social or mentoring environment. If you have 3 players, for example, you can play "winner stays", while two players fight in a 1v1 and the third watches. The third player then plays against the winner and the loser watches, etc. Add players and you can do it w/ teamgames. The social aspect of such a feature can have a huge positive effect on a game that already is lacking in social features (chat lobbies).

For live e-sports events, both on-line and off-line, Observer mode in an absolute necessity. I hope that Relic is sincere in their intentions to work on it, and hope that it becomes a top priority.
18 Feb 2014, 18:45 PM

What a pathetic post. I understand you're tired of the rage, that is a constructive and commendable feeling - but you just managed to turn your own strength into a post that reflects really poorly on you.

If Relic manages to get this game on the somewhat right track, you'll see a very productive community. This patch looks really great, which will make the board ease up.

Well, you're right about one thing.
I'm really tired of this bitching community that endlessly whines about everything.
-Game gets bad patch - community whines
-game gets good patch - community whines
-paid commanders released - community whines
-free commanders released - community whines
-no commanders released(dec-feb period) - community whines
Oh and lets not forget about our little doggies who bark and bite as they have rabies regardless of what happens to the game, because they haven't even played it past 2nd month and yet are ballsy enough to talk about whats going inside like they have any idea.

This community will never be productive. A few individuals might be, but in general its a friggin nursery where 97% of infants never stop crying.

Sure patch looks great, seems to be better improvement then last patch, but I give it 1 hour top until first person start bitching about it.

That post would be more suitable in the 'lets be awesome' thread as my first one was pretty much a half serious sum up of what always happens.
18 Feb 2014, 18:55 PM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 18:20 PMWilliG

There's a lot of people in between compstomp and uber competitive that you're leaving out here, probably the largest group of all.

The majority of people who played vCoH never played against other people. They either played compstomp or campaign. We don't have info for CoH2, but it's safe to assume that trend hasn't changed.

Everything Relic has done so far has been targeted at that group of players. Until we see otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that those players are their first priority.
18 Feb 2014, 19:25 PM

Interesting idea for a poll, is that possible on this site?

Redacted: in strictly objective statistical terms it would be a poor poll.
Seb
18 Feb 2014, 19:26 PM
18 Feb 2014, 19:27 PM
Coder Red Badge

Not yet, but even if it was it would be biased, seeing as anybody visiting a site like this is very likely interested in multiplayer.
18 Feb 2014, 19:28 PM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 18:55 PMInverse

The majority of people who played vCoH never played against other people. They either played compstomp or campaign. We don't have info for CoH2, but it's safe to assume that trend hasn't changed.

Everything Relic has done so far has been targeted at that group of players. Until we see otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that those players are their first priority.

i don't really think just because they haven't done what "you" want means that they don't care about multiplayer commuinity.
18 Feb 2014, 19:37 PM
Coder Red Badge

I said they don't care about multiplayer? Interesting. When did I say that?

Duffy: Well, we’re not an esport. The demands on the game and the presentation are different if that’s what you’re aiming for. Our game is very presentation heavy. Everything that’s visual in the game is underpinned by gameplay and supports gameplay. We build the tech systems to support the experience. That has created something really unique.

Berger: It has its own pace. It speaks to an audience that likes the time to make decisions on the battlefield but it’s fast paced enough that you’re not staring at a turn-based game. It’s not as unforgiving as either a fast paced esport RTS or a turn-based strategy game. It has its own area where it’s very approachable with a lot of depth that lots of people can find their own level in. When we build a game we constantly keep in mind that it’s not going to be played, mostly, by extremely hardcore players. A lot of the things in the game aren’t going to be used by hardcore players. If you look at the pure numbers it doesn’t make sense. But other players will love to use it. It’s there for them. Those people are our core.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/05/cold-front-company-of-heroes-interview-pt-2/#more-110700

That's the CoH2 design philosophy in a nutshell. Observer mode is one of those features that appeals primarily to the hardcore player. The hardcore player is not where Relic's focus lies.

I personally think it's coming, and it'll be great when it does, but I wouldn't get too excited about anything happening in the near future.
19 Feb 2014, 00:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Feb 2014, 18:45 PMKatitof

Well, you're right about one thing.
I'm really tired of this bitching community that endlessly whines about everything.
-Game gets bad patch - community whines
-game gets good patch - community whines
-paid commanders released - community whines
-free commanders released - community whines
-no commanders released(dec-feb period) - community whines
Oh and lets not forget about our little doggies who bark and bite as they have rabies regardless of what happens to the game, because they haven't even played it past 2nd month and yet are ballsy enough to talk about whats going inside like they have any idea.

This community will never be productive. A few individuals might be, but in general its a friggin nursery where 97% of infants never stop crying.

Sure patch looks great, seems to be better improvement then last patch, but I give it 1 hour top until first person start bitching about it.

That post would be more suitable in the 'lets be awesome' thread as my first one was pretty much a half serious sum up of what always happens.

Well Said! It really makes me sick.
19 Feb 2014, 00:28 AM

Neat! Hope it comes. If you really wanna retain more players though like vCoH did, bring back lobbies as a priority and as a lesser priority the chat rooms of old, this time with some moderators to filter out bible thumpers and racists. This is a sure way to rejuvenate the social aspect of CoH2 and thus have more players playing.

The majority of players who participated in multi were either compstompers or preferred choke point maps and a lobby to moderate the "skill level" of each team. This funneling of the entire player base into automatch needs to stop, custom games by friend invite alone is not enough. This brings up the paradox of how can one make new friends if you can only play with the limited number of friends you currently have?

Idk if battle servers allow easier implementation of this, but hey just saying.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 41
Germany 720
Netherlands 6

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak