Login

russian armor

Which way do you move the map around?

20 Feb 2014, 17:31 PM
Patrion 15

is there any way to change the hotkey mappings? or are we stuck with the two default options.

Since the "middle" row of the gridkeys is mostly useless for all combat (only pios have some building keys at A and S) units a WASD for the map and QERT for the upper row, Z-V on the lower would make a lot of sence. Maybe ctrl or caps for the tacmap and voila, all the useful commands right under the left hand. Never understood why that's so impossible.

I would like to know this as well. Can someone put a word in @ relic that we need better hotkey customization?

I have a gaming mouse and would love to use some of the choice mouse buttons, but alas I have no idea how to change the default hotkeys.
20 Feb 2014, 19:14 PM

I would like to know this as well. Can someone put a word in @ relic that we need better hotkey customization?

I have a gaming mouse and would love to use some of the choice mouse buttons, but alas I have no idea how to change the default hotkeys.

Right now I use Razer Synapse to adjust the keys, if youre not using razer AutoHotKey could help you out.

One thing I did with autohotkey is switch the tactical map hotkey to space, changed my game allot.
20 Feb 2014, 20:50 PM
Patrion 15

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2014, 19:14 PMstichy

Right now I use Razer Synapse to adjust the keys, if youre not using razer AutoHotKey could help you out.

One thing I did with autohotkey is switch the tactical map hotkey to space, changed my game allot.

I just have a logitech mouse w/ no hotkey software installed. Do you have to have a RAZR mouse to use their software?
20 Feb 2014, 22:41 PM

I just have a logitech mouse w/ no hotkey software installed. Do you have to have a RAZR mouse to use their software?

I have a logitech mouse also ... its fairly easy to add key controls to the mouse; I have a g400 so can have a different action for middle mouse and the 2 side buttons.

21 Feb 2014, 14:41 PM

I used to use arrow keys, but that was very impractical because of distance from hotkeys and bumping around with mouse was weird for me.
So I copied/modified some Autohotkey snippets and now I use WSAD + clicking on minimap for moving around and Shift + WSAD to access underlying hotkeys (the new grid ones).
It's quite awesome and I recommend to try it.. (I can post my version if anyone is interested..)
21 Feb 2014, 14:47 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 14:41 PMiond
I used to use arrow keys, but that was very impractical because of distance from hotkeys and bumping around with mouse was weird for me.
So I copied/modified some Autohotkey snippets and now I use WSAD + clicking on minimap for moving around and Shift + WSAD to access underlying hotkeys.
It's quite awesome and I recommend to try it.. (I can post my version if anyone is interested..)

i use mouse+ arrow keys + hotkeys... your argument is invalid.
21 Feb 2014, 14:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 14:47 PMakosi

i use mouse+ arrow keys + hotkeys... your argument is invalid.

Then I envy your precision skill.. That way I wouldn't hit anything without looking at keyboard.. But whatever works for you best..
21 Feb 2014, 15:03 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post21 Feb 2014, 14:55 PMiond

Then I envy your precision skill.. That way I wouldn't hit anything without looking at keyboard.. But whatever works for you best..

i can blindly typing :)

but i dont use all of the hotkeys, what i use is : shift,A,R,U,S, and for anothers for build like V B = german T1, B S soviet sandback etc V-base buildings, B-build on engineer

and the rest key at build is usually the first letter of ability like Sminefield is then
B S

+ combatgroups like number 1 is sniper etc etc.. maybe i use more but first this is what comes first to my mind.
23 Feb 2014, 07:29 AM

I would never use arrow keys myself. To move around the map i use the middle scroll button, idle infantry unit, tactical map and hotkeys.
23 Feb 2014, 09:24 AM

Permanently Banned
I would never use arrow keys myself. To move around the map i use the middle scroll button, idle infantry unit, tactical map and hotkeys.

you have an action on your near window, you have two option, minimap, or moving mouse. Both of them slower than using arrow keys...

edit:
or pressing space MVGAME
24 Feb 2014, 07:34 AM

I use the arrow keys, anything else is uncomfortable. I'd use middle-mouse, but middle-mouse is inverted and that really throws me off when I'm trying to move my camera up and it goes down. There's no option to turn inversion off either, so I stick to arrows.
26 Feb 2014, 16:13 PM

1,2 & 5 :)
26 Feb 2014, 18:27 PM

is there any way to change the hotkey mappings? or are we stuck with the two default options.

I use: http://www.autohotkey.com/ to arrange the hotkeys the way I want them.
Very simple and easy to turn on/off.. Although I still mess it up sometimes. lol.
26 Feb 2014, 22:51 PM

I use the arrow keys, anything else is uncomfortable. I'd use middle-mouse, but middle-mouse is inverted and that really throws me off when I'm trying to move my camera up and it goes down. There's no option to turn inversion off either, so I stick to arrows.

So you don't use hot keys for abilities? like attack move? I really recommend changing this habbit, It'll be awkward as heck for some time but youll become more competitive after.
27 Feb 2014, 18:40 PM

I'm probably one of the few in the 1-200 rank range that still use the arrow key type movements to replace mouse edge scrolling. When I started playing CoH2 I got ahk and made a script that shifted arrow keys to WASD, my fps habbits are just too hard to kill off lol. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are like me and have played FPS for thousands of hours. :D

Buildings doesn't really need hotkeys, we are talking the difference of miliseconds here that don't really have any effect on the out come of a match since you build very few of them.

tl:dr;

if you are new to the game, learn with mouse scrolling and minimap clicking with your hand placed over the grid keys, at the least. Learn control groups if you want, but like said earlier its not necessary, but I think it can be a nice addition to your "skillset" if you get into the habbit of using them.

Yeah, if its too hard for you to move away from arrows, you can use my method. My hand places over WASD which become the arrow keys, and I can hit all hot keys qert, I moved middle row of keys over, except f and zxcv for all special abilities. I also rebound tactical map to ` (key next to 1), if you so wish to use it. PM me if you want the script
27 Feb 2014, 20:17 PM

If you do not use hotkeys to control your units it's hard to believe that your micro does not suffer. Think of kiting with tanks. I usually reverse away from infantry, then press hold button to stop just before my tank is ready to fire again (Tanks fire 50% more accurate while not moving). Do you click each action with the mouse?

I will risk being an A-hole and say that just because you're more used to something doesn't mean you should keep doing it - some set ups are just better than others. I think there is an option in game to adjust the screen side scrolling speed - reduce that to minimum and you'll be forced to use middle mouse button or mini map. You'll play chicken shit for couple hours but it will be worth it. Before I got Razer tartarus I used middle mouse button and space as tactical map.

Also, I know it costs pretty penny, but if you can afford it. I use this thing for COH and its better than any keyboard set up I can think off. I wont go intro detail on my set up unless someone is actually interested. As Im sure not many people have this gadget.
27 Feb 2014, 21:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2014, 20:17 PMstichy
If you do not use hotkeys to control your units it's hard to believe that your micro does not suffer. Think of kiting with tanks. I usually reverse away from infantry, then press hold button to stop just before my tank is ready to fire again (Tanks fire 50% more accurate while not moving). Do you click each action with the mouse?

I'm confused is this directed at me? :P I use hotkeys. Also I think that is a really gimmicky, useless peripheral, no offense.

I do agree your point about being used to something that you shouldn't keep doing it. For any new players, mouse edge scrolling, grid style hotkeys & clicking on the minimap are the best methods of control. Control groups and tac map aren't necessary but if you can manage to work those into your gameplay it may give you the edge.
28 Feb 2014, 10:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2014, 22:51 PMstichy
So you don't use hot keys for abilities? like attack move? I really recommend changing this habbit, It'll be awkward as heck for some time but youll become more competitive after.

Yeah, which is why I tried to change to the mouse moving, but I couldn't get used to the inversion and was far less comfortable with it. I actually had worse reaction times because I could not get used to the inversion and would scroll away from what I wanted instead of near to it. Ideally I'd like to use Mouse4 + Drag (not inverted), but that just isn't an option, unfortunately. If I'm in a super rush though, I won't hesitate to mash T rather than waste time scrolling over to a tiny button.

Yeah, if its too hard for you to move away from arrows, you can use my method. My hand places over WASD which become the arrow keys, and I can hit all hot keys qert, I moved middle row of keys over, except f and zxcv for all special abilities. I also rebound tactical map to ` (key next to 1), if you so wish to use it. PM me if you want the script

Sounds interesting, I'm an avid player of TPS and FPS games, so WASD and the surrounding keys are certainly no stranger to me. I'll shoot you a PM in a moment here.
4 Mar 2014, 07:45 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Arrow keys on WASD
Tactical map on Middle mouse button (which i use quite frequently to observe the general battlefield panorama)

Attack (A) goes on Q
Stop (S) goes on F

Control groups from 1-6 (for other games i reserved 7890 for lesser buildings)
1-3 on early game is snipers, mgs, scoutcars and then evolves into tanks/snipers
4/6 goes for mortars/artyllery
5 goes for Pios/CE

I would love being able to move all abilities to <ZXCY
5 Mar 2014, 02:18 AM

autohotkey (ahk) can be used to change them. I only found out about it when I was google'ing it last week.

The macro I use is here:

Edit: I had to put paces in between the : and S because it kept making faces. :S

It changes space to the tacmap, my buildings are Ctrl+s, d, z, x, c. If I press enter it will disable it, and restart it when I press enter again (so you can chat properly, you just have to remember to double tap enter if you're talking in steam or0you0end0up0talking0like0this... Hahaha)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★