Login

russian armor

MG42's getting sniped by scripts and shocks

10 Jan 2014, 13:19 PM

amirite? Seems like the mg42 gunner gets instantly killed all the time in coh2 now even by squads just running straight at it. Or is this just my RNG God forsaking me?
10 Jan 2014, 13:36 PM

This is really annoying. I wish there was some kind of consistent mechanic of who dies first in the weapon teams or something.

Sometimes the machinegun team can't retreat because the guy who was supposed to pick up the gun dies D:

At times you'll lose the full 4 man mg42 squad and can't do anything about it but just watch the blinking retreat icon and dying gunners.
10 Jan 2014, 13:39 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

It's usually the first unit that gets in range for teh scripts to shoot it
10 Jan 2014, 13:41 PM

It's usually the first unit that gets in range for the scripts to shoot it

This
10 Jan 2014, 13:47 PM

It's usually the first unit that gets in range for teh scripts to shoot it

Yea, but the fact that scripts can walk right into the line of fire and snipe the gunner before he ever lays a burst is more than annoying and renders and MG useless right then and there, even with support nearby you can kill off mgs left and right with just a script or two when you get the RNG roll on the gunner.
10 Jan 2014, 14:07 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

Agreed but that usually happens when my mg just deployed or when the mg42 is in no or red cover. I don't see how this can be changed with minimal effects on flanking and survivability of the mg42 in general
10 Jan 2014, 15:02 PM

Well, the MG42 (and Maxim?) could give team weapon cover (like AT guns) to the crew very close to it. However, I don't think this would be a good change because it would allow the HMGs to set up wherever they want and still get the same benefits as if they were deployed behind a stone wall.
Sadly there is one Team Weapon Heavy cover, no lighter version of it. If there were a light version of it equal to light (yellow cover) and if the cover area behind the mg were basically just working on the gunner, I'd think that would be a good change.

So for now, just always deploy in cover :)
Also remember that you have to basically be "behind" the cover object to actually receive the bonus. The shield icon can display even when just one of the crew gets the bonus and the rest of the weapon team is sitting in the open but then the others don't actually receive the bonus.
10 Jan 2014, 15:53 PM

The mg has been effectively Panzer Elited. There is no coming back from that... until coh3. Worse than cons is Shocks, which seem to snipe the gunner all the time, and then you can't retreat fast enough not to lose the mg. I think all Germans players should get together and have a memorial service for the once mighty mg42.
10 Jan 2014, 16:00 PM

The mg has been effectively Panzer Elited. There is no coming back from that... until coh3. Worse than cons is Shocks, which seem to snipe the gunner all the time, and then you can't retreat fast enough not to lose the mg. I think all Germans players should get together and have a memorial service for the once mighty mg42.

Here's to you, MG42.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpM8OPixds&bpctr=1389371370
11 Jan 2014, 11:47 AM

Molotov crits on the gunner are terrible too. And now that I think about it, flamethrowers are massively OP for all units that have them in this game. Ridiculously effective compared to reality. The problem isn't so much the damage they do as much as it is the range of other units is massively reduced by comparison. Small arms can easily target hundreds of meters further away in real life, but in CoH2 the effective range of some flamethrowers is actually longer than some rifles.
11 Jan 2014, 12:41 PM

If you have MG setup and in cover, you cannot lose against one constript squad. Two of them can flank you, or one of them use orahhh and throw molotov. Is bad if 480 MP, fuel invest and muni using beat one 240 MP machine gun? If you have MG alone and you see two squads from diferent sides, simply retreat fast.
11 Jan 2014, 14:41 PM

IMO, MG42 is so crap compared to the maxim, it doesnt pin anything in 1 burst, while the maxim pins anyone in 4-5 bullets...
11 Jan 2014, 15:12 PM

IMO, MG42 is so crap compared to the maxim, it doesnt pin anything in 1 burst, while the maxim pins anyone in 4-5 bullets...

Maxim suppresses but doesn't pin that fast so you can still riflenade it though
11 Jan 2014, 15:37 PM

if MG is at full health and 6 cons hit the gunner he gets killed, it's rare but possible and really annoying
12 Jan 2014, 16:06 PM

Well, the MG42 (and Maxim?) could give team weapon cover (like AT guns) to the crew very close to it. However, I don't think this would be a good change because it would allow the HMGs to set up wherever they want and still get the same benefits as if they were deployed behind a stone wall.
Sadly there is one Team Weapon Heavy cover, no lighter version of it. If there were a light version of it equal to light (yellow cover) and if the cover area behind the mg were basically just working on the gunner, I'd think that would be a good change.

So for now, just always deploy in cover :)
Also remember that you have to basically be "behind" the cover object to actually receive the bonus. The shield icon can display even when just one of the crew gets the bonus and the rest of the weapon team is sitting in the open but then the others don't actually receive the bonus.

HMGs and Mortars generated light cover in vCoH by default (directional, so it was less useful for mortars).
12 Jan 2014, 17:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2014, 16:06 PMVolsky

HMGs and Mortars generated light cover in vCoH by default (directional, so it was less useful for mortars).

That sounds nice for a solution - it limits the mentioned problem and promotes flanking.
12 Jan 2014, 19:29 PM

That sounds nice for a solution - it limits the mentioned problem and promotes flanking.

The mentioned problem can already be fixed by placing the MG42 in cover instead of out in the open.
13 Jan 2014, 04:13 AM

The mentioned problem can already be fixed by placing the MG42 in cover instead of out in the open.

To be fair, cover isn't always available at where you want to place the gun. And this time you can't build cover like in CoH1.
13 Jan 2014, 04:32 AM

I hope Grens and PG can build wire and sandbag (not the stupid crap now we have that requires to be build for ages) once more, it's the best thing I can recall from COH1 wehr
13 Jan 2014, 06:32 AM

Easier said than done. Effectively done, anyways.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★