Login

russian armor

The console release is a fiasco ?

6 Jun 2023, 19:46 PM

//

Yes, it is a rant and a personal opinion.

In my own words, I would describe COH2 as:
(Faster Phases, More Lethality, Less Strategic Map, Commanders automatic linear tree)

I might not get the "crux" of these gameplay changes in 1vs1. But could you try to explain what am I missing. A well placed flanker SMG squad or micro'ed TD could wipe units. An unlucky mortar shot could wipe a clumped squad, un-dodged grenade wiping squads. Some other differences in teching and sector resources.

I also understand that the light-vehicle "Phase" is much longer in 1vs1. You get your one-trick flame halftracks or clown cars in 4vs4, but the window is short and you know the medium tanks will start to come out from 12th minute. I don't understand how it matters if the "infantry/light vehicle" phase is much shorter in 4vs4? A well balanced unit will retain it's value with high veterancy even later in the game. Kubelwagen is the consumable unit, it is a scout. You can have a wider light motor pool selection aimed at different playstyles. You want to micro your Pumas and T70? Perfectly viable, a high vet Puma is the MVP in many games. Case point the AEC is a great Stukahunter or suicide Tiger flanker with movement-hits.

From the design perspective, it is ok to have units aimed at different modes. LEFH or Priests are definitely not 1vs1 units, they can be balanced for 4vs4 knowing they will never disrupt the 1vs1. Same for those light motor pool options: some just get out-phased too fast in 4vs4. You have different maps, and probably a pool of tech options excelling in different scenarios.

The strategic choices to capture Fuel and deny your opponent resources: It is fine to put fuel into manpower points making sure that you cannot lockout your opponent from teching. I will concede that you lost strategic options by going with COH2 system, but... COH3 has regained it, right? And... I don't mind either way. Instead of 3 COH2 linear tech trees you now have 3 COH1 tech trees to choose from.

So what, most people playing games are in the Casual/Unranked/Silver bracket, they will adapt to either side as long as the game is exciting to play without even understanding the nuances. To this day I don't know why my IS is capturing sector at half speed sometimes. I was at the top of the 4vs4 ladder. I played COH2 not because it had any mechanical differences I preferred, but there were more players, it had more commanders/units to play with, and the game looked/sounded much better.

COH2 wasn't made for team games either. The 1vs1/2vs2 was the priority up until late into the lifecycle, when they nerfed base-sector artillery shots and then community patches followed. I can maybe accept that COH2 had more consideration for the 4vs4, but none of the COH1/COH3 mechanics are problematic to be as a 4vs4 player. Just... where are the maps, why is my MGs/PAKs/Mines bugged, why can leavers ruin games unpunished. (I know MGs and PAKs are greatly improved now). I have gripes on the nuance how they changed the tank-destroyers, but I would adapt and roll-over if the game was that "objective" upgrade I describe.

(I write COHO off because that game simply failed the F2P monetization test, it could have had the "best" mechanics but that game was fundamentally botched because it was a pre-LOL F2P game meaning a terrible free experience. I logged in once, it was the most freemium shit, uninstalled and never cared enough to play a single round online.)

Anyone else is also welcomed to say: no fantomshmuck, you really don't get how different these games were. Or... yeah, we don't care about nuance, either is fine.
14 Jun 2023, 14:14 PM
14 Jun 2023, 15:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2023, 14:14 PMnigo
From a console player:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/14960e7/console_is_dead/

Of course, when Relic answered that there would be no cross platform, the pointlessness of the console release was 100% obvious. The console is not a strategy platform. Yes, there are super rare popular strategies like Halo, but the exception to the rule. A console release would only make sense if console players played with PC players on a keyboard and mouse.
14 Jun 2023, 19:18 PM

Of course, when Relic answered that there would be no cross platform, the pointlessness of the console release was 100% obvious. The console is not a strategy platform. Yes, there are super rare popular strategies like Halo, but the exception to the rule. A console release would only make sense if console players played with PC players on a keyboard and mouse.

I'm stunned. Here I was thinking all the in-game friend request UI stuff was the groundwork for cross-platform play. Maybe it's supposed to be cross game play between Epic games and Steam? Otherwise they just coded a redundant friend request system in for no apparent reason. Very odd.
15 Jun 2023, 06:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2023, 14:14 PMnigo
From a console player:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/14960e7/console_is_dead/

The OP post and account have been deleted, you should definitely check what you're sharing and from who before posting :/

-----------

Console cross platforms is between consoles. Have you even watch a console player stream? The gameplay has nothing to do with computer gameplay.
15 Jun 2023, 13:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2023, 06:12 AMEsxile

The OP post and account have been deleted, you should definitely check what you're sharing and from who before posting :/

I'm just going out on a limb here... but it probably wasn't deleted when he posted it, considering the post was made one day ago...

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2023, 06:12 AMEsxile

Console cross platforms is between consoles. Have you even watch a console player stream? The gameplay has nothing to do with computer gameplay.

From what I've seen it looks to me like a console friendly UI and the same game. And no, cross platform play between PCs and Consoles has been done before and it's old news. Call of Duty: MW 2019 did it, for one. Plenty of others I don't know off the top of my head I'm sure.
15 Jun 2023, 14:19 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I'm just going out on a limb here... but it probably wasn't deleted when he posted it, considering the post was made one day ago...

Thanks Don. ;)
15 Jun 2023, 17:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

To come back to Nigo's post:
We're now two weeks post launch and most 1v1 ladders have an astonishing <50 people ranked. Team games don't even make it to 100. And most ranked players have between 10-20 games. I guess saying coh3 has flopped on console is fairly clear, which is also bad news for the PC version.
15 Jun 2023, 18:13 PM

To come back to Nigo's post:
We're now two weeks post launch and most 1v1 ladders have an astonishing <50 people ranked. Team games don't even make it to 100. And most ranked players have between 10-20 games. I guess saying coh3 has flopped on console is fairly clear, which is also bad news for the PC version.

I'm serious, it really boggles my mind there is no crossplay. What easier way to ensure console players at least have humans to fight against than to add crossplay.

I just don't get it. Why were there so many issues with the friend request UI when it was simply intended to be redundant to steam, instead of connecting players cross platform? Why hide player names if not to avoid the possibility of console players having vulgar names relic might not be able to enforce bans on.

My theory is that crossplay WAS intended, but the devs didm't have the time or manpower to implement it, and left it to be added in the future or canned entirely. That's the only thing tht makes sense besides incompetence..
15 Jun 2023, 18:20 PM

I'm serious, it really boggles my mind there is no crossplay. What easier way to ensure console players at least have humans to fight against than to add crossplay.

I just don't get it. Why were there so many issues with the friend request UI when it was simply intended to be redundant to steam, instead of connecting players cross platform? Why hide player names if not to avoid the possibility of console players having vulgar names relic might not be able to enforce bans on.

My theory is that crossplay WAS intended, but the devs didm't have the time or manpower to implement it, and left it to be added in the future or canned entirely. That's the only thing tht makes sense besides incompetence..

Or money. Sony requires money for those games that have cross-platform. Therefore, one of the most profitable games for Sony... It's Call of Duty. Maybe it was easier to negotiate with Microsoft, but it clearly makes no sense to spend money on cross-play for Playstation with a minimum income from the game.
15 Jun 2023, 18:20 PM

Hanlon's razor: never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
15 Jun 2023, 20:30 PM
15 Jun 2023, 22:11 PM

All our speculations/disagreements on the horrible UI/Teamcolors for 4vs4 invalidated, because the game is not even crossplay or crossplatform. It is just multi-platform...

Everything in this game can be explained as: the studio behind it had no skills or knowledge how to continue the COH franchise, and this is the result. I am sure they all planned on making a good game, with adequate quality, content and features.

Or money. Sony requires money for those games that have cross-platform. Therefore, one of the most profitable games for Sony... It's Call of Duty. Maybe it was easier to negotiate with Microsoft, but it clearly makes no sense to spend money on cross-play for Playstation with a minimum income from the game.

That is not true. The Sony crossplay fee refers to the situation where a primary Sony platform user (Lets say 90% hours Playstation Fortnite player) starts making purchases on a different platform, yet Playstation remains his top platform. It is a fair business deal from Sony: crossplay is allowed provided it doesn't undermine their own revenue.

If you don't allow cross-platform account progression, then Sony fee doesn't even matter. Since you would always need a new copy of the game, with a different platform account, to make any purchase with COH3.

16 Jun 2023, 06:49 AM
16 Jun 2023, 07:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2023, 20:30 PMnigo
Another one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/14acau5/coh3_console_anyone_else_really_struggling_to/

Memoryholed.

Lext time maybe archive the link with the waybackmachine then post it here lmao. Seems the Reddit mods are pretty protective about negativity.
16 Jun 2023, 13:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think it's one of the unfortunately many things where Relic either failed at due to poor planning and the resulting time constraints. Some features got implemented due to larger plans, but then other parts did not get finished. Friends system -> backbone implemented at launch, but not much done with it. No time to integrate crossplay. Maybe they also wanted to go to the MS or any other store with CoH3 which would have necessitated such a system. Those features never got finished, so now there is a friends system that is fairly useless. Same with console crossplay.
Overall, Relic's workflow seems to be highly rigid and inflexible. That's how stupid decisions get pushed through up to the final version, because the decision has been made early on, issues came up in between but now you can't adjust anymore. That's why the July patch couldn't be changed anymore after the layoffs in May. That's two months for a simple patch, and they can't change it. That's really crazy. Player names two months after launch. More maps only after massive complaints fours months after launch. Community maps not-sure-when, months after the community started pushing for them. Replays in fall, half a year post launch.
They're doing the right thing, they're getting stuff in that the community wants. But it always looks a couple of months late. And the game might not have/have had those extra couple of months.

Memoryholed.

Lext time maybe archive the link with the waybackmachine then post it here lmao. Seems the Reddit mods are pretty protective about negativity.

I don't know how reddit works since I don't frequent that site. Looks to me like the OP removed it/deleted his account? Or is this how reddit displays posts after the mods removed them?
16 Jun 2023, 17:25 PM

I don't know how reddit works since I don't frequent that site. Looks to me like the OP removed it/deleted his account? Or is this how reddit displays posts after the mods removed them?

I saw that too. It just seems odd to me that two people now "deleted their own post" about console edition issues.

Also, I'm not entirely sure but it might be that their account isn't deleted, just that it says u/[deleted] to protect the identity of whoever posted it. Idk

Anyways, Reddit is known to be a place where moderation can be pretty strict, so I suspect shenanigans.
16 Jun 2023, 19:55 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2023, 06:49 AMEsxile

Post and user deleted.

Next time I will take screenshots, just for you. ;)
20 Jun 2023, 13:20 PM
20 Jun 2023, 17:05 PM

Overall, Relic's workflow seems to be highly rigid and inflexible. That's how stupid decisions get pushed through up to the final version, because the decision has been made early on, issues came up in between but now you can't adjust anymore. That's why the July patch couldn't be changed anymore after the layoffs in May. That's two months for a simple patch, and they can't change it. That's really crazy. Player names two months after launch. More maps only after massive complaints fours months after launch. Community maps not-sure-when, months after the community started pushing for them. Replays in fall, half a year post launch.
They're doing the right thing, they're getting stuff in that the community wants. But it always looks a couple of months late. And the game might not have/have had those extra couple of months.

All of this.

Looking at the Reddit complaints I see people saying they are not getting games on PS5. Others say its fine on Xbox. But the official ladders show similar player counts, maybe even leaning to PS5.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★