Login

russian armor

Building question

14 Dec 2022, 18:05 PM

If i move my infantry close to a building, is the enemy in the building still in green cover?
And if i move my infantry to green cover really near the building, do they get green cover from those in the building?
14 Dec 2022, 18:33 PM

Point blank mechanism does not apply to garrisoned troops.

If attacking unit move to cover close to garrison they will still fire vs garrison while garrison will fire with point blank negating cover.
14 Dec 2022, 21:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2022, 18:33 PMVipper
Point blank mechanism does not apply to garrisoned troops.

If attacking unit move to cover close to garrison they will still fire vs garrison while garrison will fire with point blank negating cover.

Garrison also gets reload bonus right?
14 Dec 2022, 22:53 PM

Garrison also gets reload bonus right?

Garrison provides "cover bonuses" for units like IS/Ostruppen but that about it.
14 Dec 2022, 23:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2022, 22:53 PMVipper

Garrison provides "cover bonuses" for units like IS/Ostruppen but that about it.

I could have swore in the past(years ago) squads got a small reload bonus from being in a building so units with long reloads like snipers/PTRS got a benefit from being inside.
15 Dec 2022, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Small addition related to this topic:
The garrison bonus is a tiny bit worse than green cover (green cover has a 0.5 RA and 0.5 damage modifier, garrisons have 0.55 on one of them, but I can't remember if it was RA or damage). As Vipper already said, garrison cannot be negated by coming close to the target and they are generally more resilient to AoE damage.
15 Dec 2022, 10:14 AM

generally more resilient to AoE damage.

Generally more resilient as in they're extremely likely to get hit, and will take damage across the entire squad, but it'll only be the "far" damage amount every time.
15 Dec 2022, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Generally more resilient as in they're extremely likely to get hit, and will take damage across the entire squad, but it'll only be the "far" damage amount every time.

Half (or 55%? Doesn't really matter though) of the far damage is very low for most tanks. For mediums that's 4 damage per model, an Ostwind emptying his whole magazine is 18 or so, even for the Tiger and Pershing this is 12 and 14, respectively. We can roughly assume that this number is equal to the DPS if we assume 5 models squad and ~4-8 seconds for reload.

The damage is also very consistent. Apart from building collapses, which are also fairly predictable, I rarely lose squads in buildings. You can often zoom away for a moment and come back later with barely any risk.

Having a clumped up squad behind a sandbag is not better in any way. There can be complete misses, and the next shot will take out 3 models at once. You can't zoom away from this, the sandbag might be destroyed super quickly, and when you retreat your squad stays clumped up for a while, leaving you with the opportunity to take another unlucky shot and lose it, while you can leave buildings often through the rear door and be out of sight immediately. This also allows you to dodge grenades completely, while you might get some of the damage behind a normal sand bag when trying to dodge it, either because you reacted a bit too late or the squad formation bugs out.

I haven't tested it out specifically, but I don't think there is any major advantage of green cover over garrisons, unless you're a top10 player that never misses anything on the battlefield and can perfectly estimate the outcome and duration an engagement.
15 Dec 2022, 12:01 PM

Some other points:

1) in order for a weapon to do damage to all entities in a garrison it needs to have "damage all in hold" set to true.

2) there diffident type of garrison with separate modifiers like houses/trenches/emplacements

3) Luch benefits from point blank mechanism and will do ignore cover if it is close enough.

15 Dec 2022, 16:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2022, 12:01 PMVipper
Some other points:

1) in order for a weapon to do damage to all entities in a garrison it needs to have "damage all in hold" set to true.

I think only flamethrowers and demo charges have this IIRC
15 Dec 2022, 16:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I thought all AoE weapons (with maybe a few exceptions) do at least their far damage to all entities, even if they would be outside of their AoE?

This is also what Gachi pointed towards.
15 Dec 2022, 19:58 PM

From small arm probably only flamers have it.

Many explosive weapon including grenades have it.
15 Dec 2022, 20:24 PM

I thought all AoE weapons (with maybe a few exceptions) do at least their far damage to all entities, even if they would be outside of their AoE?

Just quickly tested it to be sure, most explosive weapons have it with the exception of tanks that don't fire high explosive rounds like T34 or P4, and satchel charges
15 Dec 2022, 22:16 PM

Just quickly tested it to be sure, most explosive weapons have it with the exception of tanks that don't fire high explosive rounds like T34 or P4, and satchel charges

T-34/76 should have it PZ4 does not seem to have it which seem to be an oversight.
15 Dec 2022, 23:00 PM

Half (or 55%? Doesn't really matter though) of the far damage is very low for most tanks. For mediums that's 4 damage per model, an Ostwind emptying his whole magazine is 18 or so, even for the Tiger and Pershing this is 12 and 14, respectively. We can roughly assume that this number is equal to the DPS if we assume 5 models squad and ~4-8 seconds for reload.

The damage is also very consistent. Apart from building collapses, which are also fairly predictable, I rarely lose squads in buildings. You can often zoom away for a moment and come back later with barely any risk.

Having a clumped up squad behind a sandbag is not better in any way. There can be complete misses, and the next shot will take out 3 models at once. You can't zoom away from this, the sandbag might be destroyed super quickly, and when you retreat your squad stays clumped up for a while, leaving you with the opportunity to take another unlucky shot and lose it, while you can leave buildings often through the rear door and be out of sight immediately. This also allows you to dodge grenades completely, while you might get some of the damage behind a normal sand bag when trying to dodge it, either because you reacted a bit too late or the squad formation bugs out.

I haven't tested it out specifically, but I don't think there is any major advantage of green cover over garrisons, unless you're a top10 player that never misses anything on the battlefield and can perfectly estimate the outcome and duration an engagement.

I was talking more about mortars, and if you didn't realize it, I was agreeing with you, so I dont really know what warranted the novella of a post o_O
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★