Login

russian armor

Make Multiplayer COH3 free to play to save the franchise.

8 Mar 2022, 21:53 PM

There's plenty of other examples. There's AoE2 that has about 20k players if I remember correctly (only the DE edition) and many Paradox titles have even gained or at the very least retained a ton of players over the years

DE has more than 20k for sure. I play pretty actively, that game is still crazy popular

Definitely can run on a wider range of comps which helps, but still I agree the rts genre is not dead
9 Mar 2022, 07:11 AM

Also Relic tried that already with CoH Online

and tried to appease MoBA people with DoW 3

Both horrible fails, gameplay- and businesswise

I'm not sure if COHO abortion has to do with COHO itself. Lead designer dying and Relic bad economic state are probably more of the real reason. I mean, COHO was meant for the asian market and still Western players wanted to play it so badly!
9 Mar 2022, 11:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2022, 07:11 AMEsxile

I'm not sure if COHO abortion has to do with COHO itself. Lead designer dying and Relic bad economic state are probably more of the real reason. I mean, COHO was meant for the asian market and still Western players wanted to play it so badly!

Yeah. When I heard about it I really wanted to try it out. Alas, it was long dead.
9 Mar 2022, 12:45 PM

there's a steady amount of 6000 to 7000 players, its not a dying game

copium
9 Mar 2022, 12:46 PM

COHO was clearly P2W and I know since I have played it back in the day.

We are talking about 2022 though, not 2011. The market has changed rapidly. I am certain COHO would be way more successful today than it was then.
9 Mar 2022, 12:48 PM

copium

Nah he is right here. CoH2 playerbase is stable in the high 4-digits since many years
9 Mar 2022, 12:49 PM

Nah he is right here. CoH2 playerbase is stable in the high 4-digits since many years

I did not doubt the validity of his claims.

However, calling a game with max 7k people "alive" is a Goebbelian stretch for sure.
9 Mar 2022, 12:51 PM

So your main arguments is a P2W game from 2011 and a PAID title developed to compete with the FREE LOL and DOTA2 formulae.

Would I be wrong to call your arguments retarded or no?
9 Mar 2022, 14:02 PM

I did not doubt the validity of his claims.

However, calling a game with max 7k people "alive" is a Goebbelian stretch for sure.

A game is alive when you never have any trouble to find a multiplayer lobby in a short time. Which you don't in CoH2. You dont need 50k+ ingame players at all times to be an "alive" game lol.

A game is dead on the other hand when almost nobody plays it anymore so queue times or the time to find a full custom lobby are ridiculous because of this
9 Mar 2022, 14:15 PM

A game is alive when you never have any trouble to find a multiplayer lobby in a short time. Which you don't in CoH2. You dont need 50k+ ingame players at all times to be an "alive" game lol.

A game is dead on the other hand when almost nobody plays it anymore so queue times or the time to find a full custom lobby are ridiculous because of this

Allow me to reiterate: a game is considered "alive" if and only if the following two criteria are met:

• Waiting times, as you have said, are low.
  • The matches that occur within that matchmaking process are as fair as possible.

Let's say the first criterion stands (which it does not but whatever). The second criterion is so out of reach for COH2, that it's like a dream.

For further info, check out my other threads and Rosbone's. Every match that is produced by COH2's matchmaker would be consider an outlier by all the other major games' matchmakers.
9 Mar 2022, 14:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Allow me to reiterate: a game is considered "alive" if and only if the following two criteria are met:

• Waiting times, as you have said, are low.
  • The matches that occur within that matchmaking process are as fair as possible.

Let's say the first criterion stands (which it does not but whatever). The second criterion is so out of reach for COH2, that it's like a dream.

For further info, check out my other threads and Rosbone's. Every match that is produced by COH2's matchmaker would be consider an outlier by all the other major games' matchmakers.

Waiting times are usually (2v2 and 3v3) below 5 minutes from my experience when playing with friends. Most of the games we get are also decently balanced I would say, with some one sided games every now and then.
I can't fully speak for pure random games and 4v4, since I play both of these rarely.

However, we'd need to know the percentage of really unbalanced games. They surely happen, and in 4v4 more than anywhere else. But they also happen in highly populated games that have tens of thousands of players. I can tell by from playing rocket league. Most matches are really good there, but even with a large player base, sometimes the other team is just a decent chunk better/worse than mine.

The only estimate that we can make is look at game lengths. Top200 1v1 is probably the closest base line info that we have to perfectly balanced games. Still, 11,6% of games end with 10 minutes or less, indicating these are either drops/technical issues or unbalanced match making. 10-20 minute games happen fairly frequently, too. Since they also happen often in the top200 games, I'd assume these are rather lost games due to bad playing or one player honestly surrendering than bad matchmaking.

Interestingly though, all 4v4 games have a ratio of 13,9% of <10 minute games. 3v3 has 13,4%; 2v2 12,8%. 2v2 top200 11,6%. And all 1v1 has 14,7%.

Percentages are not vastly different and some could also be explained by drops, afks and technical issues that have not much to do with the match maker. Either this, or the "metric" I chose here is nonsense in the first place.
9 Mar 2022, 20:38 PM

Guy is literally posting about how a 9 year old game is dead on a community run website devoted to that game that still has people posting on it. Not to mention the active playerbase that's already been mentioned

Coh2 clearly did well, and still is doing well for a 9 year old game. And coh3 already seems off to good start. Chill
9 Mar 2022, 22:41 PM

Guy is literally posting about how a 9 year old game is dead on a community run website devoted to that game that still has people posting on it. Not to mention the active playerbase that's already been mentioned

Coh2 clearly did well, and still is doing well for a 9 year old game. And coh3 already seems off to good start. Chill

If he put as much time and effort into working as this thread he would have earnt the money needed to buy Coh3 on release rather than begging Relic to change their entire business model XD
10 Mar 2022, 09:43 AM

If Coh 3 does half as well as this game by this point in its lifespan i'll be really happy. Dead game lol. It's had amazing longevity for it's age.
10 Mar 2022, 10:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2022, 22:41 PMGrim

If he put as much time and effort into working as this thread he would have earnt the money needed to buy Coh3 on release rather than begging Relic to change their entire business model XD

Thankfully I have a very good paying job and I can buy COH3 150 times before I go bankrupt. This is clearly not the case.
10 Mar 2022, 10:29 AM

Thankfully I have a very good paying job and I can buy COH3 150 times before I go bankrupt. This is clearly not the case.

As someone in this very thread once said, cope^_^
10 Mar 2022, 11:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2022, 10:29 AMGrim

As someone in this very thread once said, cope^_^

???
10 Mar 2022, 14:22 PM

These games wont survive because they are not AAA games being sold at AAA prices. They are remastered versions, tweaked old games, they are not new games in the sense of how different COH2 was from COH1.
Most time, people are only going to give $60 for something that is genuinely new. The few successful remasters had massive fan bases and are more focused on graphics in the first place (which RTS are not so much).
12 Mar 2022, 04:44 AM

It's pathethic to see someguy thinks convincing people on a forum can make a difference, give up, the idea is bad and the game wont be free
12 Mar 2022, 09:58 AM

It's pathethic to see someguy thinks convincing people on a forum can make a difference, give up, the idea is bad and the game wont be free

lmao i'm just saying my preference you're pathetic thinking that even that is despicable.

It's way more fun talking about COH in general than playing it, so there you go. If we follow your idiotic logic it's no fun talking about units, weapons, tanks in general since Relic will not be releasing another COH update.

Get a life, stop being so negative and depressed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 51
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment