Login

russian armor

Does the Centaur need fire suppression?

6 Oct 2021, 15:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Might be just me but I've always thought the Vickers had the best accuracy of all MGs. Its gotten even better with the new "Take Aim" ability.

I feel like I win most of my MG vs MG duels with the Vickers. It wins more than it loses.

Accuracy for MGs doesn't really matter an awful lot since ROF is equally important to deal damage.

The Vickers deals more damage than the MG42, so it should win an engagement. Another plus in this regard is that the CD and reload have a slightly smaller share of the whole cycle, meaning that the suppression modifiers do not hit it as much.

On-topic:
I don't think there is an issue with Centaur suppression. The ability is hard to aim and time. I never use it to be honest.
6 Oct 2021, 15:46 PM

Might be just me but I've always thought the Vickers had the best accuracy of all MGs. Its gotten even better with the new "Take Aim" ability.

I feel like I win most of my MG vs MG duels with the Vickers. It wins more than it loses.

I'd say this is my experience as well. By feel Vickers seems to be better at DPS (not accounting for Vet 1 abilities). Suppression wise I'd say almost everyone would agree that MG42 is better in that regard. Personally I think suppression counts for more in most game circumstances but seeing a Vickers kill a retreating squad is very satisfying haha

Back to the OP topic. Ostwind doesn't need suppression as it's pretty lethal as is. I had no clue that Centaurs Strafe ability had suppression because it usually either whiffs or deletes whatever squad that other player usually forgot about. Even then it's not like the Stafe ability gets much use from my experience since Centaur usually gets relegated to AA role if it gets built at all... Either way the comparison to Centaur is no real justification for Ostwind suppression.
6 Oct 2021, 16:09 PM

By feel Vickers seems to be better at DPS

The Vickers has pretty much the same raw DPS as the HMG 42. The difference is that suppressed units get a received accuracy bonus, thus lowering DPS of all small arms firing against them, including the HMG that is suppressing them. Which means that the faster an HMG suppresses, the lower the effective damage that it deals. The HMG 42 suppresses faster, so it deals less effective damage.
6 Oct 2021, 16:11 PM

Accuracy for MGs doesn't really matter an awful lot since ROF is equally important to deal damage.

The Vickers deals more damage than the MG42, so it should win an engagement. Another plus in this regard is that the CD and reload have a slightly smaller share of the whole cycle, meaning that the suppression modifiers do not hit it as much.

the best thing about Vikers is the burst length, but in terms of actual suppression it is behind any MG, but Maxim.
BTW its accuracy is OK, but definitely not the best, at least at ranges that matter for HMGs (mid to long).
6 Oct 2021, 17:06 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Back to the OP topic. Ostwind doesn't need suppression as it's pretty lethal as is. I had no clue that Centaurs Strafe ability had suppression because it usually either whiffs or deletes whatever squad that other player usually forgot about. Even then it's not like the Stafe ability gets much use from my experience since Centaur usually gets relegated to AA role if it gets built at all... Either way the comparison to Centaur is no real justification for Ostwind suppression.

+1

I use the centaur strafe ability where possible and I've also never seen suppression from it. I've seen infantry go prone and crawl like when mortar shells land near them sometimes, but never actually get suppressed. Plus any infantry that actually gets in the path of strafe disintegrates.
MMX
7 Oct 2021, 05:36 AM

+1

I use the centaur strafe ability where possible and I've also never seen suppression from it. I've seen infantry go prone and crawl like when mortar shells land near them sometimes, but never actually get suppressed. Plus any infantry that actually gets in the path of strafe disintegrates.

I think the OP (and by extension his acolyte) wasn't really talking about actual suppression but rather meant the Centaur's vet1 strafing fire ability should be available to the Ostwind in some form as well. That would be my guess at least, could be wrong though.

Anyway, I fully agree neither unit needs additional suppression. Both the Ostwind and Centaur are already very good in what they're supposed to do, not to mention medium-armor suppression platforms are probably one of the things the game needs the least.
7 Oct 2021, 09:21 AM

On-topic:
I don't think there is an issue with Centaur suppression. The ability is hard to aim and time. I never use it to be honest.

Since you never use it then maybe have you considered your not good at using the ability or understanding how potent it can be rather than thinking it's no good.
7 Oct 2021, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Since you never use it then maybe have you considered your not good at using the ability or understanding how potent it can be rather than thinking it's no good.

Well yes, I am quite bad at using it, no doubt about that.
I also know that it demolishes infantry if your opponent does not move. If he moves, you probably won't hit though.
OP's point was its suppression and the lack thereof on the Ostwind. At least that's what I get from his somewhat confusing posts. I don't think Centaur has any issue with its suppression. Infantry in the way of the ability gets usually killed anyway.
7 Oct 2021, 10:14 AM

Giving Ostwind similar ability to "20mm strafing run" is a potential disaster, considering its timing and shock potential. Also same ability is out of the question, since Ostwind has slow firing AA gun, not two fast firing 20mm cannons.
7 Oct 2021, 11:14 AM

Giving Ostwind similar ability to "20mm strafing run" is a potential disaster, considering its timing and shock potential. Also same ability is out of the question, since Ostwind has slow firing AA gun, not two fast firing 20mm cannons.

But people want the ostwind to have both a high anti-infantry DPS and have a strafe ability that insta kills infantry in it.
sniping models and squad health and penning the rear of the staple allied mediums is not enough, needs a buff
7 Oct 2021, 11:59 AM

But people want the ostwind to have both a high anti-infantry DPS and have a strafe ability that insta kills infantry in it.
sniping models and squad health and penning the rear of the staple allied mediums is not enough, needs a buff

40 damage with 55 pen close. Such a menace
7 Oct 2021, 12:17 PM

40 damage with 55 pen close. Such a menace

it do be like that when you buy a 90 fuel medium and have no hp whatsoever
7 Oct 2021, 12:47 PM

it do be like that when you buy a 90 fuel medium and have no hp whatsoever

#offtopic same HP as P4, Sherman, Cromwell, su85, jackson etc. And it is a lot of AI with ability to do occasional 160 damage frontally for 90 fuel. Also it counters Ostwind. So if you lose t34 to an Ostwind - that's on you
8 Oct 2021, 06:32 AM

Well yes, I am quite bad at using it, no doubt about that.
I also know that it demolishes infantry if your opponent does not move. If he moves, you probably won't hit though.
OP's point was its suppression and the lack thereof on the Ostwind. At least that's what I get from his somewhat confusing posts. I don't think Centaur has any issue with its suppression. Infantry in the way of the ability gets usually killed anyway.

i think op is just bitching about the centaur being able suppress inside smoke. Generally mg's can't suppress while you are in smoke as they lack ground attack feature. The ability is sorta similar to suppression strafes which suppresses as the targets gets hit in it's AoE regardless of what environment they are in. And also I think bitching about the ostwind.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★