Login

russian armor

CoH 3 German Campaign!!

18 Jul 2021, 13:44 PM

Some new info about the German campaign that I found while digging around the files.

Apparently there will be 3 German commanders from what I'm seeing and their names are kind of "coded" so to speak.

The first appears to be a German General which has the closest thing to the first name in the list altho he never was in Africa apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ludwig_Ewald_von_Kleist

The second "Rahmel" when googled for comes up as Rommel to no surprise.

And finally we have the guy that organized Operation Valkyrie who also fought in Africa as well having the closest name to the third person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Stauffenberg

Ah cmon at least Stauffenberg could have been spared the censorship
18 Jul 2021, 14:06 PM

Ah cmon at least Stauffenberg could have been spared the censorship

It's not just him.

I couldn't find anything about Allied officers being called Buckram, Norton or Valenti serving in Italy either.

And I'm not sure about Valenti but Buckram and Norton both appear to be generals in the US and British Armies respectively. Buckram even has a 3 star general's helmet on.

But I think it's fairly obvious who they're based on. Patton was a Lieutenant general at that time and you can see him with the 3 star helmet in Sicily here:

Norton is either Harold Alexander going by the name or Monty altho I know that Montgomery was more pompous and the guy in the campaign seems to be more reserved like a typical British officer.

Valenti like I said I have no idea about, I'm not even sure she's a higher rank than a Captain taking into account about women in the military back then.

There's also another German officer in the campaign being mentioned and that's Taube altho when you google his name you only find a Russian general of the Imperial Russian Army from back in the 19th century that served until a bit after the communist revolution in Russia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_von_Taube
18 Jul 2021, 14:20 PM

That's because Nazi sympathizers and white supremacists are naturally drawn towards WW2 fantasies where Germany is portrayed sympathetically or treated like they had a chance of winning.

Lol chill, you check under your pillow at night for scary white nazi's? lol. I would speculate that 99% of people who play german factions in a strategy game are not nazi's.
19 Jul 2021, 18:41 PM

It seems like there is at least some stuff presumably made for a german campaign.
https://imgur.com/a/5fQggpc
20 Jul 2021, 09:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2021, 18:41 PMXeoniz
It seems like there is at least some stuff presumably made for a german campaign.
https://imgur.com/a/5fQggpc

Wait how did you manage to get the Germans in the campaign like that?

I can only start a match with the save file.
20 Jul 2021, 18:06 PM

Start the game with the argument "-entry_race germans_campaign" set.

Notice though that you cant play an RTS game while having the game in forced race mode, it will hang up with a scar error (race not found in scar skirmish setup script).
You bascially have to start the campaign and save the game, then restart the game without arguments, start another campaign, finally load the previously saved game - IIRC, could verify later.

Also "-entry_race germans" let you start a skirmish as germans immediately from the main menu without modifying the savegame (this blocks you from starting a campaign though)
20 Jul 2021, 20:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2021, 18:06 PMXeoniz
Start the game with the argument "-entry_race germans_campaign" set.

Notice though that you cant play an RTS game while having the game in forced race mode, it will hang up with a scar error (race not found in scar skirmish setup script).
You bascially have to start the campaign and save the game, then restart the game without arguments, start another campaign, finally load the previously saved game - IIRC, could verify later.

Also "-entry_race germans" let you start a skirmish as germans immediately from the main menu without modifying the savegame (this blocks you from starting a campaign though)

Huh, very interesting.

I'll note it down, thanks for the info.
25 Jul 2021, 14:06 PM

So a made a showcase video of both the German Mechanized and Panzer companies that you get in the campaign and apparently you get the Tiger and Panther there:

However sadly they're not really playable as you get the AI error if you try to launch a match as Xeoniz already said.
26 Jul 2021, 23:02 PM

Hey, with these steps you can play the campaign as germans, including the skirmishes:

1: launch the game with "-entry_race germans_campaign"
2: start new campaign (disable tutorial! important!)
3: save
4: exit game
5: start game without arguments
6: start new campaign
7: load previous saved campaign

---
Now you can start skirmishes / missions without the scar error.

I was not able to start the Pomigliano Airfield mission, regardless of US, british or german company attacking, so you have to naval or artillery bombard it until you can take it over with an infantry unit without a skirmish. (the "play" button stayed disabled on that mission for me) - counter repair Naples with an engineer / pioneer unit if u need more time. All following mission worked fine for me.
30 Jul 2021, 22:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jul 2021, 23:02 PMXeoniz
Hey, with these steps you can play the campaign as germans, including the skirmishes:

---

I was not able to start the Pomigliano Airfield mission, regardless of US, british or german company attacking, so you have to naval or artillery bombard it until you can take it over with an infantry unit without a skirmish. (the "play" button stayed disabled on that mission for me) - counter repair Naples with an engineer / pioneer unit if u need more time. All following mission worked fine for me.

This works, thanks for sharing.
4 Aug 2021, 18:29 PM

That's because Nazi sympathizers and white supremacists are naturally drawn towards WW2 fantasies where Germany is portrayed sympathetically or treated like they had a chance of winning.

Can't say any time I ever chose Ostheer in my 600+ games of them in CoH2 that I was ever on a power fantasy about the Nazis ruling the world. Instead, I simply enjoy the design of the faction the most (the need for combined arms to win, the feeling when you bring a fresh tiger tank on the field, et al.) Similarly, when I play Germany in games like Hearts of Iron, it is because it is funner to be the aggressor than it is to sit around and wait for things to happen.

You could argue that this is just me, but somehow I find it doubtful that every Ostheer player other than me is some kind of undercover racist. No idea why your inclination is to simply say people who enjoy playing Germany must be as you stated, it is odd to immediately try and paint a collection of people in such a light.

5 Aug 2021, 10:19 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jul 2021, 23:02 PMXeoniz

---

I followed your instructions and played around 2 hours of the campaign with crashes only occurring during matches and so forth now as you can see here:

The only difference is that I had to use an engineer unit to capture the airfield because a normal Grenadier section didn't want to for some reason.

Can't say any time I ever chose Ostheer in my 600+ games of them in CoH2 that I was ever on a power fantasy about the Nazis ruling the world. Instead, I simply enjoy the design of the faction the most (the need for combined arms to win, the feeling when you bring a fresh tiger tank on the field, et al.) Similarly, when I play Germany in games like Hearts of Iron, it is because it is funner to be the aggressor than it is to sit around and wait for things to happen.

You could argue that this is just me, but somehow I find it doubtful that every Ostheer player other than me is some kind of undercover racist. No idea why your inclination is to simply say people who enjoy playing Germany must be as you stated, it is odd to immediately try and paint a collection of people in such a light.

Honestly people called me a Nazi when I had an American flag in the background of my avatar so it doesn't really matter who you are or what you do or what you say, hell I've even seen jewish people be called Nazis lol.

So the best thing that you can probably do is just ignore these type of people because they truly believe that whoever doesn't agree with them is a Nazi, fascist or a racist or whatever.
5 Aug 2021, 14:36 PM

Do you know what I would like to see in a game dedicated to the Italian theater of war? Suddenly an Italian story, not a skirmish, but a story about people who went over to the Allies and who stayed on the side of the Axis. German campaign? I've seen this many times and it's not interesting.
6 Aug 2021, 00:21 AM

Do you know what I would like to see in a game dedicated to the Italian theater of war? Suddenly an Italian story, not a skirmish, but a story about people who went over to the Allies and who stayed on the side of the Axis. German campaign? I've seen this many times and it's not interesting.

I agree on an Italian Army but not on the German campaign.

Too often only one side of a conflict is told, as is the case of the victors in WW2, and almost never from the other side.

Take the Finnish and other minor Axis powers that get almost no representation in games and other media.

Stuff like Battlefield, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor as some prime examples of popular FPS games only have Allied campaigns with the only exception as far as I'm aware being the Last Tiger in Battlefield V.

I for one would like to hear and see the perspective of the Carthage during the Panic Wars which are mostly told from the Roman side, or the Persian perspective in the Greco-Persian wars for example as well.

Saying that the other guy is bad and nobody cares about what he thought or experienced is very biased in my opinion and only seeing things from all possible view angles and perspectives is what truly gives you the whole picture of the situation and not just only one side's such.
6 Aug 2021, 18:30 PM

Stuff like Battlefield, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor as some prime examples of popular FPS games only have Allied campaigns with the only exception as far as I'm aware being the Last Tiger in Battlefield V.

All 3 of those games are popular because of multiplayer. Battlefield V had customizable German tanks in the multiplayer with upgrade paths specific to them. Game was disappointing overall but not because of it's lack of axis representation. The Soviets weren't included in the game at all, among other things

Saying that the other guy is bad and nobody cares about what he thought or experienced is very biased in my opinion

Don't think it's that simple. If you're talking about making campaigns that means getting into the real history. Kinda hard to get into the story of the axis without the holocaust, which most people don't want to see when they're trying to have fun playing a video game

I don't think it's a moral thing at all, it's economic. There's less demand for it. All the games you mentioned so far are made by American companies, and Relic is Canadian. They are trying to make a profit, end of story
6 Aug 2021, 22:44 PM

Don't think it's that simple. If you're talking about making campaigns that means getting into the real history. Kinda hard to get into the story of the axis without the holocaust, which most people don't want to see when they're trying to have fun playing a video game

Ah but you see that's why this campaign is set in Africa, the last refuge of the clean Wehrmacht myth.
7 Aug 2021, 16:32 PM

All 3 of those games are popular because of multiplayer. Battlefield V had customizable German tanks in the multiplayer with upgrade paths specific to them. Game was disappointing overall but not because of it's lack of axis representation. The Soviets weren't included in the game at all, among other things

I don't think it's a moral thing at all, it's economic. There's less demand for it. All the games you mentioned so far are made by American companies, and Relic is Canadian. They are trying to make a profit, end of story

You are assuming I meant the latest games but I never said that, if I did I would have probably named them.

I meant the entire franchises which again, Battlefield was the only one with the Last Tiger campaign in BFV that actually showed WW2 from the German perspective, otherwise all others have always been from the Allied one.

Plus arguably and ironically the Last Tiger took BFV into the headlines so there is a market there for the other guy's perspective.

And I think your logic is flawed a little bit here, what do you mean by "real" history exactly?

As others have already mentioned here there are plenty of German campaigns already, and maybe a few here and there from the other Axis' perspectives but not much and none of them dwell into the war crimes.

If we're going to be honest here there's a lot to cover on the Allied side as well but people don't really want that depression in their games as you said.

2 specific examples I can give which again, were not covered and will never be covered in CoH or any other franchise are the rape of berlin:

Which could have been put at the end of the Soviet campaign in CoH2 but it wasn't for very obvious reasons that there would be an even bigger uproar from the Russians as they only want to be portrayed as heroes in media.

And then we have the Biscari massacre where US troopers murdered around 70 Italian POWs which again, can be covered in CoH3, but obviously won't be.

As Major-General Raymond Hufft is quoted saying - "If the Germans had won, I would have been on trial at Nuremberg instead of them."

One may judge the other harshly but he forgets that at times he is no better. That's not to say that America didn't rebuild the world after the war and became it's freedom fighter in my opinion, more or less, against an even bigger tyrannical dictatorship but still, nobody is perfect and it's important to remember that.

To end it, I'll just say that in war, there are no rules and you can ask any combat veteran about that.

All that matters is you and your buddy next to you, no politics and other such crap, all that bull goes out the window the moment bullets begin to fly and your survival instinct kicks in, as well as your wrath and anger after it's over.

7 Aug 2021, 19:03 PM

You are assuming I meant the latest games but I never said that, if I did I would have probably named them.

I meant the entire franchises which again, Battlefield was the only one with the Last Tiger campaign in BFV that actually showed WW2 from the German perspective, otherwise all others have always been from the Allied one.

Plus arguably and ironically the Last Tiger took BFV into the headlines so there is a market there for the other guy's perspective.

And I think your logic is flawed a little bit here, what do you mean by "real" history exactly?

As others have already mentioned here there are plenty of German campaigns already, and maybe a few here and there from the other Axis' perspectives but not much and none of them dwell into the war crimes.

If we're going to be honest here there's a lot to cover on the Allied side as well but people don't really want that depression in their games as you said.

2 specific examples I can give which again, were not covered and will never be covered in CoH or any other franchise are the rape of berlin:

Which could have been put at the end of the Soviet campaign in CoH2 but it wasn't for very obvious reasons that there would be an even bigger uproar from the Russians as they only want to be portrayed as heroes in media.

And then we have the Biscari massacre where US troopers murdered around 70 Italian POWs which again, can be covered in CoH3, but obviously won't be.

As Major-General Raymond Hufft is quoted saying - "If the Germans had won, I would have been on trial at Nuremberg instead of them."

One may judge the other harshly but he forgets that at times he is no better. That's not to say that America didn't rebuild the world after the war and became it's freedom fighter in my opinion, more or less, against an even bigger tyrannical dictatorship but still, nobody is perfect and it's important to remember that.

To end it, I'll just say that in war, there are no rules and you can ask any combat veteran about that.

All that matters is you and your buddy next to you, no politics and other such crap, all that bull goes out the window the moment bullets begin to fly and your survival instinct kicks in, as well as your wrath and anger after it's over.

thx for that post
7 Aug 2021, 19:23 PM

snip

Huh? This isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm talking purely about the company making a financial decision

Id have no problem with them showing the German side, I would enjoy the campaign most likely. Literally the only thing I'm pointing out is the reason it doesn't happen as often

Like I said all 3 of those franchises are American made. They're not history teachers they create entertainment and they need to make a profit

"One may judge the other harshly..." Like wtf? I'm not judging anyone. I literally said I don't think it's a moral issue, it's an economic one

7 Aug 2021, 21:17 PM

Huh? This isn't really what I'm talking about. I'm talking purely about the company making a financial decision

Id have no problem with them showing the German side, I would enjoy the campaign most likely. Literally the only thing I'm pointing out is the reason it doesn't happen as often

Like I said all 3 of those franchises are American made. They're not history teachers they create entertainment and they need to make a profit

"One may judge the other harshly..." Like wtf? I'm not judging anyone. I literally said I don't think it's a moral issue, it's an economic one

I mean obviously but you said that it's hard to make an Axis campaign without doing the holocaust which is just lol since like I said there's been plenty of German campaigns that never dwelled into any war crimes.

In fact the only game that I know of that involved and even revolved around war crimes was Spec Ops: The Line where you were an active and unknowing participant.

And again like I said, there is a market for the Axis perspective.

You want proof?

The Last Tiger cutscenes - 5.1 million views https://youtu.be/JmlpHDeHjDE

Through the mud and blood campaign from BF1 - 1.2 million views https://youtu.be/99JGWbekto4

Lastly I wasn't talking about you specifically judging the other guy harshly, I'm talking about in general just people which is the truth.

I've noticed it in myself that we often see what others do wrong but not ourselves.

For example I play Hell Let Loose and record my games and I often act as a tank commander and sometimes I'm wondering why the driver or Gunner are turning the other way only to find out later that I gave the wrong direction without realizing it at the time.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 28
Germany 388

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment