Login

russian armor

Flame thrower

25 Jun 2021, 10:57 AM

1. Can anyone explain how exactly Flame thrower work?
2. Do all faction FT has the same stats?
3. Do Ost Halftrack FT & KV8 has different stats to infantry's FT?
25 Jun 2021, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Afaik: Flame throwers target a model (or a spot when attacking ground) and apply an AoE around this model. They deal 16 damage to all models within the AoE. That's at least how I understand pio flame throwers, and I think the infantry based ones are all the same.

I think the 251 has either damage over time component to it or there are multiple damage checks during one visual burst of flames, but not sure. Maybe it sets the ground on fire which causes the DoT (that's how molotovs deal most of their damage).

EDIT: Just to be clear: The 251 does some damage upfront followed by additional DoT damage as described above.
25 Jun 2021, 11:46 AM

As far as I know:

Hand held flamer do only attack/splatter damage

Vehicle flamer do attack/splatter damage and set the ground on fire for DOT.

Flamer also have different modifier and do more damage/less to certain type of cover/terrain.

(Extra damage to garrison/less damage to water/negative)

Hand held flamer do similar damage, vehicles not so much.
25 Jun 2021, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2021, 11:46 AMVipper
(Extra damage to garrison/less damage to water/negative)

Hand held flamer do similar damage, vehicles not so much.

That's a good point too. They deal more damage vs units in green cover in general. Yellow cover is not affected iirc.

Basically if you see a flamer and your units are behind a sand bad: Run to the open field. First you do not get the additional damage modifier, second your models space out, causing less models to get hit per burst.
25 Jun 2021, 15:53 PM

Afaik: Flame throwers target a model (or a spot when attacking ground) and apply an AoE around this model. They deal 16 damage to all models within the AoE. That's at least how I understand pio flame throwers, and I think the infantry based ones are all the same

16 damage to targets in the open or light cover. 20 damage against heavy cover or garrison. So 5 or 4 bursts to kill a model (80hp) depending on the type of cover.

They also have 2.5 penetration compared to standard small arms' 1, so they're good against armored infantry (Shocks and heavy Sappers) and they can damage light vehicles to some extend.

I think in vCoH they used to deal less damage to targets that were in water, but I'm not sure if they copied that over to CoH2.
Pip
25 Jun 2021, 17:49 PM

16 damage to targets in the open or light cover. 20 damage against heavy cover or garrison. So 5 or 4 bursts to kill a model (80hp) depending on the type of cover.

They also have 2.5 penetration compared to standard small arms' 1, so they're good against armored infantry (Shocks and heavy Sappers) and they can damage light vehicles to some extend.

I think in vCoH they used to deal less damage to targets that were in water, but I'm not sure if they copied that over to CoH2.

They only do four more damage to models in Green cover? Strange, it always felt like they did more that that. Perhaps its just a factor of them generally also being very bunched up (And in the case of Garrisons, it hits all models automatically, right?)

I feel as though I've noticed Flamethrower bursts occasionally doing no damage, too, but I dont have any evidence of this, and can't really think why it would be the case.
25 Jun 2021, 18:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2021, 17:49 PMPip

They only do four more damage to models in Green cover? Strange, it always felt like they did more that that. Perhaps its just a factor of them generally also being very bunched up (And in the case of Garrisons, it hits all models automatically, right?)

I feel as though I've noticed Flamethrower bursts occasionally doing no damage, too, but I dont have any evidence of this, and can't really think why it would be the case.

That might be because your unit is sitting in a trench and the flamethrower can't aim downwards. It happens for trenches like the ones used for Rails and Metals and Alliance of Defiance.
25 Jun 2021, 19:51 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That might be because your unit is sitting in a trench and the flamethrower can't aim downwards. It happens for trenches like the ones used for Rails and Metals and Alliance of Defiance.

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2021, 17:49 PMPip

Flame throwers can apparently be blocked by terrain objects. So in some instances the flames can't fire through terrain or rocks, despite the model trying to attack through the terrain. I think this can be the case for trenches (as in trenches on the map, not the buildable British ones): The flame hits the ground in front of the trench, so the flame is blocked.
MMX
26 Jun 2021, 02:11 AM

Flame throwers can apparently be blocked by terrain objects. So in some instances the flames can't fire through terrain or rocks, despite the model trying to attack through the terrain. I think this can be the case for trenches (as in trenches on the map, not the buildable British ones): The flame hits the ground in front of the trench, so the flame is blocked.

to add to this; usually moving a tad bit closer to the target fixes the dealing no damage issue for some obscure reason. not sure if this is the same for elevation differences such as trenches or cliffs, though.
26 Jun 2021, 08:59 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

IIRC they do do half damage to units in water, not that'd really be an issue though unless you find yourself in the unlikely situation of fighting dual flamers with no other small arms.

I experienced this the other day on rails when a player was spamming royal flamers at me when I was in the fuel trench. This should be looked at and fixed if possible. It's pretty shocking to see 4 flamers do absolutely nothing to a squad in a trench.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★