Login

russian armor

Can someone please explain how handbrake mode works.

27 May 2021, 20:03 PM

Alright. You've got your USF AA Halftrack and turn on handbrake mode; boom, it doesn't move when you tell it to. That's all fine and dandy, but what about handbrake mode on the M3 halftrack and and the 251? People have said "oh well in handbrake mode, halftracks prioritize reversing" nah, not that I can see. I have a M3 set to handbrake mode and one not, and they both move in exactly the same way.

I can't discern a difference. At this point I just feel like everyone else is suffering from the placebo effect on this ability and it's actually just bugged.

Anyways, I would rather handbrake mode prevent the halftrack from moving, period, instead of "prioritizing reverse" even if it did actually work. That's what the reverse hotkey is for.

Can someone please help me out here.
27 May 2021, 20:07 PM

It's bugged on all troop-transporter halftracks and the M3 + Kübelwagen.
27 May 2021, 20:07 PM

It's bugged on all troop-transporter halftracks and the M3.

How has it not been fixed yet? This has been a thing since 2019 as far as I know.
27 May 2021, 20:08 PM

How has it not been fixed yet? This has been a thing since 2019 as far as I know.

some hard-coded issue I believe
27 May 2021, 20:09 PM

I was under the impression that handbrake mode just prevented Half Tracks from unwanted rotating. So if you were using a M3 as a clown car it wouldn't rotate to try and fire it's main gun unless told to (which would count as movement and the passengers would be less accurate)
27 May 2021, 20:31 PM

I was under the impression that handbrake mode just prevented Half Tracks from unwanted rotating. So if you were using a M3 as a clown car it wouldn't rotate to try and fire it's main gun unless told to (which would count as movement and the passengers would be less accurate)

Didn't know that. Yes, that's what it does, I just tried it.

The handbrake mode description makes it seem like it should be the same as the AA halftracks ("The vehicle will not respond to movement commands...")

For the 251 though I would really rather it not be selectable. It's not like troops inside can fire outside. I would rather it be a static reinforce bunker when I need it to be and not have to fiddle with infantry around it.
27 May 2021, 21:25 PM

My best advice is anytime you tell a vehicle to attack something, immediately press "halt" or the associated hot key. The vehicle will still target the unit you told it to, but will no longer rotate to do that and can still be given commands. UFA AA Half track is nigh unusable if you don't do that for example.
28 May 2021, 10:39 AM

They should really update/increase the cone of fire for many vehicles in the game as that is one the main issues that causes vehicles to spin since they have this need to want to face everything they are attacking.

For example Universal Carriers main gun has a 15 degree angle, while a Kubelwagon has a 30 degree angle in which the gun can move before requiring the vehicle to turn. Realistically these weapons had a much larger cone in which they could shoot in real life. Now granted real life shouldn't be used for balancing purposes however the cone angle is so small on some vehicles that it is rather ridiculous.

Its like taking a Panzer 4 which has a turret and requiring the vehicle to always face the enemy even though it has a turret that can move.

Hell non turreted vehicles like the SU-85 have the same 15 degree angle as a mounted tripod Machine Gun which literally makes no sense at all.

I would like to see a quality of life patch that addresses this on some vehicles in cases that make sense. It would help with vehicle pathing and usability on many vehicles instead of trying to create a bandaid via Handbreak.

28 May 2021, 12:33 PM

They should really update/increase the cone of fire for many vehicles in the game as that is one the main issues that causes vehicles to spin since they have this need to want to face everything they are attacking.

For example Universal Carriers main gun has a 15 degree angle, while a Kubelwagon has a 30 degree angle in which the gun can move before requiring the vehicle to turn. Realistically these weapons had a much larger cone in which they could shoot in real life. Now granted real life shouldn't be used for balancing purposes however the cone angle is so small on some vehicles that it is rather ridiculous.

Its like taking a Panzer 4 which has a turret and requiring the vehicle to always face the enemy even though it has a turret that can move.

Hell non turreted vehicles like the SU-85 have the same 15 degree angle as a mounted tripod Machine Gun which literally makes no sense at all.

I would like to see a quality of life patch that addresses this on some vehicles in cases that make sense. It would help with vehicle pathing and usability on many vehicles instead of trying to create a bandaid via Handbreak.

Also a bandaid that doesn't even work once troops are inside, I might add lmao. Yes, handbrake stops the M3 from rotating when there's nobody inside, but once there is it will rotate automatically for some reason.
28 May 2021, 12:45 PM

It's nice when it works. Key word: "when"

EDIT: It was interesting to find out that when you have units inside the M3, the units take small arms damage before the half track does. I don't know if that's the case for all halftracks. I'm gonna find out on my own.

EDIT 2: Ok so it seems that this isn't actually usually the case. I have no idea how to replicate what happened in the video lol. I made the pioneers invulnerable for the test but I don't recall doing that to the M3 halftracks.

EDIT 3: After a short while more testing, I realized that the reason that it was happening was because the engineers were closer than the halftrack? It seems that the halftrack is untargetable when facing backwards, and infantry can only target the troops in the back.

EDIT 4: The halftrack isn't untargetable, but troops only auto-target the troops inside the carrier when the M3 is backwards. They will shoot at the M3 if you manually select it.
29 May 2021, 23:41 PM

I always though the half track and M3 handbreak was to prevent it from rotating. When it rotates to fire, you won't be able to reinforce because rotating counts as movement and movement = no reinforce.

Activate hand break if you desperately need that extra model to come out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★