Login

russian armor

Mod Re-release (updated 11/26/21)

11 Mar 2021, 15:03 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Consider this a re-release of my mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2129311414

BIG NOTE:
The mod tools are about 6+ patches behind, so it is hit more miss whether or not these patches it is applied. Expect not...
Also, this mod has nothing to due with Relic, this is a personal mod.

The purpose of this mod is to adjust design, doctrines, and balance is with this game. With the changes to teching and more access to non doctrinal items for all factions, the core of each faction should have all the tools they generally need. Doctrines offer a bit more variety tools while not being crutches for the base factions.

General

Soviet

Ostheer

USF

OKW

UKF

Other

Comparisons
Pip
11 Mar 2021, 15:25 PM

Wait, territory gives manpower bonuses in your mod? What's the reasoning behind that? My understanding is that Manpower income being divorced from territory (and being inversely proportional to army size) is intended as a way to let a person recover from a severe setback.
11 Mar 2021, 15:32 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2021, 15:25 PMPip
Wait, territory gives manpower bonuses in your mod? What's the reasoning behind that? My understanding is that Manpower income being divorced from territory (and being inversely proportional to army size) is intended as a way to let a person recover from a severe setback.

An experiment to see if cashes become more prevalent in match ups. With potential increase of manpower and decrease fuel and munitions, players either invest more so into capturing fuel and munitions points or invest into cashes/trucks, as well as defenses such as bunkers. These values are quite small still, so I would expect a modest impact.
Pip
11 Mar 2021, 15:44 PM

An experiment to see if cashes become more prevalent in match ups. With potential increase of manpower and decrease fuel and munitions, players either invest more so into capturing fuel and munitions points or invest into cashes/trucks, as well as defenses such as bunkers. These values are quite small still, so I would expect a modest impact.

I'm interested to see how it all turns out, a little skeptical about manpower being a territory resource at all (Even if it is a fairly negligible amount), but I won't pretend that experimenting with it isnt worth trying, maybe it'll end up being better like that?

I haven't read through all the notes, and obviously I haven't played it yet (If i even get chance), but one thing that jumps out to me (for some reason) is reducing any squad sizes below 4... I think that being the minimum size is probably for the best, due to how it interacts with a few game mechanics. (Admittedly changes to "max models killed" and a few other things you've done make it less an issue). I dunno, I think this is just a personal thing.

Sorry if some of what I'm saying seems terribly nitpicky, I'm genuinely interested in what you're doing here.

(Completely non-gameplay related... but since you've taken REs out of USF's nondoc lineup... perhaps the RE model could be the Rifleman Winter skin now? :^) )
11 Mar 2021, 16:07 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2021, 15:44 PMPip

I haven't read through all the notes, and obviously I haven't played it yet (If i even get chance), but one thing that jumps out to me (for some reason) is reducing any squad sizes below 4... I think that being the minimum size is probably for the best, due to how it interacts with a few game mechanics. (Admittedly changes to "max models killed" and a few other things you've done make it less an issue). I dunno, I think this is just a personal thing.

There are only three units with 3 models. Before hand there were IR Pathfinders that had three models but they had no survivability with a target size of 1 while these three units do. It is experimental, no doubt about it.

Ostheer's Pioneers with the target size of 0.5, they will be dodging bullets left and right including the tank mgs. Very cheap squad replacement at 150 .

Brit's sniper has a target size of .7 which is similar to other light infantry. Plus the extended range of 45 from the standard range of 35. They should avoid damage all together.

And the one doctrinal Urban Assault Grenadiers with flamethrowers. They have a target size of .75. This will make them resilient and they are suppose to be more of a support squad rather than a frontline squad. This squad may fall too quickly.

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2021, 15:44 PMPip

(Completely non-gameplay related... but since you've taken REs out of USF's nondoc lineup... perhaps the RE model could be the Rifleman Winter skin now? :^) )

Probably not. Riflemen still use that skin on winter maps. Plus being cover in snow on summer maps, not exactly fitting, unless it is an ruined urban environment with dust everywhere.
Pip
11 Mar 2021, 16:12 PM

Probably not. Riflemen still use that skin on winter maps. Plus being cover in snow on summer maps, not exactly fitting, unless it is an ruined urban environment with dust everywhere.

No, no, I mean have Riflemen use the RE winter skin instead of their current winter skin... on winter maps. I'm not sure if that's something that's actually possible to do, however. Its just always felt odd that despite having an infantryman model with a Greatcoat, Lelic decided to have Riflemen just put on gloves and a scarf rather than actually wear said greatcoat.
11 Mar 2021, 17:16 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Mar 2021, 16:12 PMPip

No, no, I mean have Riflemen use the RE winter skin instead of their current winter skin... on winter maps. I'm not sure if that's something that's actually possible to do, however. Its just always felt odd that despite having an infantryman model with a Greatcoat, Lelic decided to have Riflemen just put on gloves and a scarf rather than actually wear said greatcoat.

Those skins are not interchangeable. There is a way to use the Cold Tech upgrade and display a different squad to build, but at the moment I will not change anything.

During WW2 the US did have a shortage of winter weather gear, which military didn't?, and so it was not uncommon for them to use the M-1943 with heavier undershirts. Not preparing for winter is a common occurrence which is usually solved by wearing extra layers. I can speak from personal experience. I was deployed to Kuwait in 2016, in which I learn how to mod in my down time. First step off the plane, it was 130 F (54 C). When winter came around, working night shift, the wind chill it was 22 F (-5 C). Command thought oh here are some propane heaters that are above your head... They did not work. Just because it was 80 during the day does not mean it was not cold at night. That temperature difference change happen during my shift. Back at home working in the winter, wind chill was -40 F (-40 C), and all I was issued was a rain jacket. Even the basic cold weather gear was not enough for those temps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_uniforms_in_World_War_II#Winter_uniforms
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Army_M-1943_Uniform

Here are some other uniforms they used in the time.
http://www.usww2uniforms.com/figures_army.html
12 Mar 2021, 00:07 AM

I don't have a chance to test it out anytime soon, but just looking through the changes I'm liking most of what I've seen.
12 Mar 2021, 01:50 AM

-Volksgrenadiers
By name, should be a reserve unit. This unit has had many changes through out them game. The STG upgrade does not fit with there role.

Actually not true. 2 of every 3 Volksgrenadier squads were armed with automatic weapons, this was to give them a high volume of fire to make up for both the lack of men and lack of skill. The intent actually was to have them equipped with Sturmgewehrs, but the reality was that there were not nearly enough to go around, so most Volksgrenadiers were issued MP 40's instead. It kind of irks me that Grenadiers have the option to become MP 40 squads (uncommon by my understanding) but not Conscripts or Volksgrenadiers (PPSh/MP 40 squads extremely common).

That said you obviously have a different vision than I do and you have put in a lot of work into your mod, so I congratulate you on the release! I still do like a lot of the changes, I just feel strongly about a few of them.
12 Mar 2021, 13:26 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Actually not true. 2 of every 3 Volksgrenadier squads were armed with automatic weapons, this was to give them a high volume of fire to make up for both the lack of men and lack of skill. The intent actually was to have them equipped with Sturmgewehrs, but the reality was that there were not nearly enough to go around, so most Volksgrenadiers were issued MP 40's instead. It kind of irks me that Grenadiers have the option to become MP 40 squads (uncommon by my understanding) but not Conscripts or Volksgrenadiers (PPSh/MP 40 squads extremely common).

That said you obviously have a different vision than I do and you have put in a lot of work into your mod, so I congratulate you on the release! I still do like a lot of the changes, I just feel strongly about a few of them.

I have thought about this. Both in live and my mod, there is no designated non-doctrinal CQB/CQC unit for soviets. Any added item can not overlap with Shock Troops, Doctrinal PPSHs, or outright replace and remove Doctrinal ppsh. I have multiple ideas:

1: Combat engineers
With mobilized reserves no longer being automatic, researching it could grant the combat engineers with a PPsh upgrade that grants an extra man from either the PPSH upgrade or from mobilized reserves.

Or just make the equipped with PPsh's.

2: Penals
Right now penals, in my mod, are significantly different. PPsh upgrade for them could make them stand out.

3: Replacing the PPSH doctrine
There are 5 doctrines in live with this ability but only 3 in my mod. Replacing 3 could allow more variety in doctrines while allowing ppsh's non doctrinal.

Advance Warfare could gain either For Mother Russia or a new ability. The PPSH doctrinal ability does give conscripts oorha back so maybe a combo ability using the Speech Evasive Tactics which may include AT grenade assault. Maybe camouflaged?

Conscript Support Tactics could revert this doctrine wounded recovery station for Rapid Conscription while a ability could be added, Hold the Line. There is speech for a Hold the line ability, in which it could provide defensive buffs for infantry in friendly territory for the duration.

Guard Rifle Combined Arms Tactic's PPsh could be replaced with a vehicle breakthrough ability to help full fill its role of combined arms. There is speech for a Fire and Maneuver ability which is focused on tanks. The vehicle breakthrough would enable vehicles to capture at a fast rate and move at increase speed.

16 Mar 2021, 21:23 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Small update

In playing around with manpower income and now trying out 250 manpower per minute.

Penals are now able to be upgraded with PPSH's
Penals' vet 1: to the last man, now also increases burst duration per model missing.
This should give soviets a decent smg unit non doctrinally but this is a side grade and does not replace shock troops.

Conscript Assault Packages completely replaced and removed:

Advance War's Conscript Assault Packages replaced with Conscript Tactics

Conscript Support Tactic's Conscript Assault Packages replaced with Hold the Line

Guard Rifle Combined Arms Tactics 's Conscript Assault Packages replaced with Vehicle Breakthrough

OKW's supply trucks replaced with the ability the lockdown SWS halftracks into supply centers.

Once set up, the player can choose between the increase of fuel or munitions. Can change whenever you want, barring cool down.

MG34 Moved to T1 but the cost is reduced to 230 manpower.

Munitions Opel Blitz added to T2. Ability Cooldowns and medic packs removed. Aura now also reduce weapon cooldowns. This unit will help fill in the gap for OKW who lacks a mobile reinforcement point.
27 Mar 2021, 01:30 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Update:

Light infantry non-slot weapons range is reduced to 35 and no longer interferes with the attack order and attack move order.

In playing around with income I think I found a sweet spot that in general increases the duration of the phases of early, mid, and late game. Here is a total summery of right now:

Right now, I have implemented various comeback mechanics to make games for entertaining and here is a list of all effects:
Soviets Mobilized Reserves:
Fresh Conscripts no longer need to reinvest with munitions for the seven man squads with it being a global upgrade. In order to make penals more able to get back into the game, they now gain vet 1 immediately if they did not already have it as well as their cheaper reinforce cost.

Volks upgrades:
If a volks squad needs to be rebuilt, the global upgrades should help them get back into the fight. Zeal was probably the weakest of the bunch so like penals, when this is upgraded, vet 0 volks become vet 1 volks.

Ostheer:
Now not only they have new comeback mechanics they have new non doctrinal supply mechanics as well. Soviets and brits build cashes, USF can upgrade WC51 trucks to Supply Trucks. OKW can build Supply HQs that are hybrid of the HQ, Supply truck, and Cashes. Ostheer has now it's old T4 structure reintroduce into a Research building.

Ostheer's Supply Center

OKW IR STGs:

OKW more toggles

USF Paradrop AT gun

OKW's Elite armor

OKW Fuersturm

Also, more ugly Icons for the supply center

11 Apr 2021, 20:22 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Small update

I decided to change the icons for the weapon teams :

Rather than showing the faces of the infantrymen, I decided to change it to the weapon it self with a small icon. After all, the focus is on the weapon itself rather than the infantrymen.

Additionally, I adjusted the WC51 to just use the 30 cal. I have also adjust the USF officers to be more support focus by giving them small aura buffs while reducing the squad sizes down to three. This should make them more support focus rather than combatively focused.
11 Apr 2021, 20:27 PM

11 Apr 2021, 20:35 PM
12 Apr 2021, 03:32 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Cool, lots of great changes! Lots of things I had the same idea in for my mod.
12 Apr 2021, 08:44 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I decided to change the icons for the weapon teams

If you are interested, you can use these to match the other MG's:

MG42 MG34
12 Apr 2021, 10:16 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

If you are interested, you can use these to match the other MG's:

MG42 MG34

If you don't mind. Though honestly I sort of like the MG42 firing look, but my icon making is rudimentary and basic for applying it to others.

Here is the quick edit, thank you:

12 Apr 2021, 10:46 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Cool, lots of great changes! Lots of things I had the same idea in for my mod.

Honestly, it was your 2016, 2015?, mod that really got me into modding. In which my downtime during my deployment to Kuwait, in where I had a lot of time, I really started to understand modding in general.

Out of curiosity, what do you think about my Ostheer Battlephase system versus current? I have always looked at the Battlephase system as teching with extra steps while mine changes it into an escalation system for unlocking new items in multiple buildings.
21 Apr 2021, 03:29 AM

the reality was that there were not nearly enough to go around, so most Volksgrenadiers were issued MP 40's instead.

Volksgrenadiers were never issued mp40 in place of stg44.

Volksgrenadiers generally fought very well, the big difference being in a lack of officers in volksgrenadier divisions, not in quality of recruits, and the fact that 1 or 2 of every 3 squads were equipped with stg44 instead of kar98.

TO&E of a volksgrenadier company
https://www.battleorder.org/volksgrenadiers-1944
2 assault platoons, with:
- 2 assault squads x8 stg44
- 1 fire group, with x5 stg44 and x3mg42
1 rife platoon wit:
- 3 rifle squads with x1 mp40 x6 k98 x1 mg42

if you want a unit that was equipped with mp40 in the whermacht, Jaegers shoud be the ones depicted using them, as all jager divisions had the following to&e for their infantry:
7 mp40, 2 k98 (ammo bearer/rifle grenadier) and a mg42/34
Some jager divisions were issued stg44 for trials

regualr grenadiers were armed with x1 mp40, x7k98 and x1 mg42

Panzergrenadiers were equipped as follows:
x1 mp40, x7 k98, x2 mg42
They were never issued stg44s, the exception being a few hundred issued to 2. panzer division for trials.

Engineers
German engineers were separated into assault pioneers and pioneers
assault pioneers used flamethrowers
pioneers used x1 mp40 x8 k98 x1 mg42. they construced defenses and cleared mines. they were often ued as combat troops

Soviet infantry
http://www.niehorster.org/012_ussr/44_organ/div_rifle/44_rd_inf-co.htm
Soviet divisions featured a large number of smg troops by 1944, at a ratio of 2 rifle squads : 1 smg squad
Squads often attempted to aquire more DP machine guns to increase their firepower
Soviet motorized infantry used the same to&e as regular infantry, though additional SMG armed tankodesantniki (lit. tank riders) platoons were attached to tank brigades

Soviet engineers
Soviet sappers performed both construction and used flamethrowers

US infantry
Infantry in rifle divisions was initialy equipped with garands and x1 BAR. squads often aquired a second BAR and a sub machine gun later in the war.
Rangers and Paratroopers used the M1919A1 LMG in lieu of the BAR for additional firepower
US armoured riflemen used a different to&e, similar to the volksgrenadiers in concept.
Each platoon had 3 rifle squads armed with garands and a bazooka, and 1 fire group with 2 M1919A1 LMGs. Later, the rifle squads often picked up BARs to increase their firepower.

US engineers were armed with rifles.
They also had access to flamethrowers. some infantry from regular rifle squads were trained to use flamethrowers as well.

British infantry
Infantry sections were armed with x1 sten, x8 lee enfields, and x1 Bren. squads often aqiured a second Bren for additional firepower
The british used the same to&e for their motorized infantry

British had field engineers and assault engineers.
field engineers were armed with rifles only, and rarely were used in combat.
assault engineers used flamethrowers.
The majority of flamethrower support was intended to come from the 6 wasp flamethrower organic to each infntry battalion
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★