Login

russian armor

Upcoming Comander Update - Wishes

PAGES (15)down
6 Mar 2021, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Mar 2021, 16:32 PMVipper

In conclusion, if in your opinion Soviet need an CP 0 assault squad suggest that instead of asking to move the PPsh to CP 0. That would make both unit easier to balance.

Since I'm not motivated anymore atm to give an answer to all the small aspects you commented I'll focus on your conclusion since you gave one (although I disagree in all of them but the last and would have quite a few remarks).

About your conclusion:

No, I'm not of the opinion that Soviet needs doctrinal 0 CP Assault troops, but neither USF, UKF or Ostheer really need one. Because of that all of them are doctrinal, for different openings with different commanders and versatile playstyle.

Yes, Imo the PPsH Cons upgrade is rather underwhelming at its timing at 2 CPs in comparison to the timing of other assault options at soviets themselves or other factions.

So either rework its timing, bundle it with another conscript upgrade or completely exchange for another commander ability. Replace it in Soviet Shock army for sure (since Schock army should keep Schock Troops).
6 Mar 2021, 17:27 PM

Since I'm not motivated anymore atm to give an answer to all the small aspects you commented I'll focus on your conclusion since you gave one (although I disagree in all of them but the last and would have quite a few remarks).

About your conclusion:

No, I'm not of the opinion that Soviet needs a doctrinal 0 CP Assault troop, but neither USF, UKF or Ostheer really need one. Because of that all of them are doctrinal, for different openings with different commanders and versatile playstyle.

Yes, Imo the PPsH Cons upgrade is rather underwhelming at its timing at 2 CPs in comparison to the timing of other assault options at soviets themselves or other factions.

So either rework its timing, bundle it with another conscript upgrade or completely exchange for another commander ability. Replace it in Soviet Shock army for sure (since Schock army should heep Schock Troops).

The timing is in fine.

The ability is already bundled with another conscript ability which is "hit the dirt".

Once more if in argument breaks down to other faction have CP 0 assault your suggestion should be replace the upgrade with CP 0 assault infatry, it has already been done with IS.

Vet 3 PPsh conscripts are more cost efficient than Assault IS and Assault Grenadiers.
6 Mar 2021, 18:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Mar 2021, 17:27 PMVipper

The timing is in fine.

The ability is already bundled with another conscript ability which is "hit the dirt".

Once more if in argument breaks down to other faction have CP 0 assault your suggestion should be replace the upgrade with CP 0 assault infatry, it has already been done with IS.

Vet 3 PPsh conscripts are more cost efficient than Assault IS and Assault Grenadiers.

I always forget about hit the dirt exixting at all because the ability has so many downsides (eating grenades is one of it).

As I said the 7th man is more desirable than PPsH upgrade. PPsH is somehow obselete in current version of the game. Maybe they shouldn't even try to balance PPsH and just take Assault Guards call-in (without M5), put them into the commander slot of PPsH and balance them appropriately for the given CP timing (that way you could integrate them at Lend Lease without M5 too and you killed two birds with one stone).
6 Mar 2021, 20:19 PM

Buffs for Heavies are much needed. If Tigers, IS-2 and Pershing are getting those 10 doctrines are attractive again without any further changes.
7 Mar 2021, 02:37 AM

I want to make a proposition for five commanders. All five commanders are medicore for different reasons and could be good with some minor tweaking. The idea is to put in not more than two changes to make them worthwhile. One commander for each faction - just to be fair.

Soviet: Defensive Tactics
This commander is not entirely bad, but it fills none of the soviet blank spots. Usually you go for a commander with elite troops, ML-20 or premium med / heavy tanks. With 4 of 5 abilities at 0-2 Cps and one at 12 CPs it leaves a huge gap in CP progression. I would suggest to swap M42-AT gun for a KV-1 or ML-20. Both would fit defensive thematic very well and would close the CP game in midgame without making commander op. In addition it would be an interesting option to add a heavy anti-tank mine like Ostheer Riegel or USF M20 mines. The Soviet had such mines too (TM-41/TM-44).
- swap M42-AT Gun with KV-1 or ML-20 commander ability
- add heavy tank mines for engineers with Advanced Fortifications (probably with additional T3 or T4 techlock)

Ostheer: Defensive Doctrine
This commander does a good job at digging in. But retreat of your infantry to you base means you leave your forward defensive positions very vulnerable to pushing. In addition I do think it is somehow unfair that Ostheer is the only faction left without one doctrinal forward retreat point at least. Especially at the big 4vs4 teammaps this should be an option. I do think it would synergize at this commander the most and would fit thematically. Just add a retreat point upgrade to bunkers which gets unlocked at T3 or T4 (similar to Soviet Airborne retreat points).
- add forward retreat point bunker upgrade at T3 or T4 (only one change but a huge one)

OKW: Elite Armored Doctrine
This commander has too many situational abilities and the Sturmtiger is only situational good too. It could need some further armored support to live up to its name. Bundle emergency repairs and Tank commander in on ability and add either Flakpanzer or a Command Tank as commander ability. Both options should give somehow more armored punch.
- bundle tank commander/emergency repairs
- add Flakpanzer or Command Tank (PZIV/Panther)

UKF: Commandos
While Commandos are really good, the commander has just too much munition abilities. Activating each only once costs 510 munition. That’s way too much. Swap at least one of it for commander ability with dependence on manpower/fuel. I would remove mortar cover and add one of these three light/medium units: M3 resupply truck / M5 / Valentine. All of them would help to keep the aggression up in early/mid.
- remove mortar cover (give it to some other UKF commander that needs an adjustment too)
- add either M3 resupply truck, M5 or Valentine instead

USF: Recon Company
Greyhound and bundled airdrop are its biggest problems. I would remove the 4 CP bundled airdrop so that you have a Reserve Falls drop at 3 CPs instead. Alternatively you should build the Reserve Falls separately at your base at least and keep the bundled airdrop. The Greyhound is just too bad in comparison to all the other USF doctrinal vehicle options. I do think the canister shot was nerfed once too often. So either rework its timing/balance or swap it for another commander ability. Advanced Infantry Equipment would make a lot of sense for example (Rifleman flares = additional recon). Or add some sort of a medium vehicle option like M10 / 76mm Sherman instead of Greyhound.
- swap 4 CP Airdropped Combat group for 3 CP Reserve Falls Drop only or make Reserve Falls separately buildable at base at least
- rework timing/balance of Greyhound or swap it either with a thematically fitting ability like Advanced Infantry Equipment or an underused medium tank like M10 / 76mm Sherman

7 Mar 2021, 06:04 AM

goliath on one of the commanders for ost(german mechanized/fenstung support)
MMX
7 Mar 2021, 07:03 AM

[...]
This commander is not entirely bad, but it fills none of the soviet blank spots. Usually you go for a commander with elite troops, ML-20 or premium med / heavy tanks. With 4 of 5 abilities at 0-2 Cps and one at 12 CPs it leaves a huge gap in CP progression. I would suggest to swap M42-AT gun for a KV-1 or ML-20. Both would fit defensive thematic very well and would close the CP game in midgame without making commander op. In addition it would be an interesting option to add a heavy anti-tank mine like Ostheer Riegel or USF M20 mines. The Soviet had such mines too (TM-41/TM-44).
- swap M42-AT Gun with KV-1 or ML-20 commander ability
- add heavy tank mines for engineers with Advanced Fortifications (probably with additional T3 or T4 techlock)

funny that you'd want to replace the one ability (m-42) that makes this commander a viable pick for me. defensive tactics is ideal for t1 openings since you get anything you'd want from t2, and in case of the dskh and hm-38, even in superior form compared to the stock options.
without the baby at gun you'd be forced to back-tech for a zis rather sooner than later, so imho one of the other mediocre commander slots (tank traps and those ap-mines no one ever builds) would be a much better candidate for an ability swap.
7 Mar 2021, 09:25 AM

goliath on one of the commanders for ost(german mechanized/fenstung support)

- no unit swapping between factions;
7 Mar 2021, 09:26 AM

- Heavy tanks need to be buffed. That Change alone will make 10 doctrines more viable.
- And the recent change to Assgrens needs be taken back. I really tried to understand why the mod team gated the Sprint ability behind BP1 but I just can't. Without the sprint the unit is more or less useless.
It would be a lot better if the munition cost and / or the cooldown for Sprint would be increased.
7 Mar 2021, 09:30 AM

- no unit swapping between factions;

but's it's not a unit. It's more like an ability.
7 Mar 2021, 09:35 AM

but's it's not a unit. It's more like an ability.

Can you control it around the map freely?

If the answer is "yes", then its a unit.

Suicidal unit is still a unit.
7 Mar 2021, 09:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Mar 2021, 07:03 AMMMX

funny that you'd want to replace the one ability (m-42) that makes this commander a viable pick for me. defensive tactics is ideal for t1 openings since you get anything you'd want from t2, and in case of the dskh and hm-38, even in superior form compared to the stock options.
without the baby at gun you'd be forced to back-tech for a zis rather sooner than later, so imho one of the other mediocre commander slots (tank traps and those ap-mines no one ever builds) would be a much better candidate for an ability swap.

I say just make all support weapons buildable from the hq and bundle them in 1 ability/ or keep at gun at 1 and bundle the heavy support weapons in a single ability and make them deployable from HQ. Also KV-1 sounds nice.
7 Mar 2021, 10:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Mar 2021, 14:07 PMVipper

Strafe see to be a bit late and it could become closer to Ostheer strafe

In the recent patch:
Soviet Mechanized Support and Shock Motor Commanders
• IL-2 Bombing Runs exchanged for IL-2 Sturmovik Attack Strafe from the Advanced Warfare Commander

Last update on the ability on 20th of Dec 2017:

Also a dmg nerf to prevent it from being able to wipe anything. But then again, what does the Axis call-in artillery do? Wipe complete positions, if I remember correctly. This IL-2 strafe is underperforming horribly!

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Mar 2021, 14:07 PMVipper

Loiter was actually buffed not nerfed and it is strong. It not advisable to leave soft target in the area where the place operate.

So the last update on IL-2 Loiter is from 16th of May 2018:

That's a nerf right there.
7 Mar 2021, 11:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Mar 2021, 10:50 AMredfox

Both the reference you have from IL-2 are about the loiter, unfortunately for this game same abilities have the same name (luckily it has been fixed for some abilities.).

The firing cone and minimum range changes made the ability more effective since it would not properly fire before the changes.

The ability was UP and it typical COH2 manner it was buffed to broken level where it would obliterate all infatry.

Then it was simply adjusted. In sort the loiter went from up->Broken->to good.

Loiter IL-2 is fine.
7 Mar 2021, 11:31 AM

Alright, gotya. However, the problem with the IL-2 single strafe then still remains, doesn't it? Even more so, as now the problem is not only reduced to one commander (Advanced Warfare) but now both ISU-commanders suffer from it as well. It´s the highest CP ability of those commanders and so it should have SOME usefullness other than being a waste-ammo-button.
7 Mar 2021, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Mar 2021, 11:31 AMredfox
Alright, gotya. However, the problem with the IL-2 single strafe then still remains, doesn't it? Even more so, as now the problem is not only reduced to one commander (Advanced Warfare) but now both ISU-commanders suffer from it as well. It´s the highest CP ability of those commanders and so it should have SOME usefullness other than being a waste-ammo-button.

I am under the impression that there where some ninja changes to it (because I remember it to be even weaker) and not firing on the actual indicator but I have not tested it enough to have an educated opinion.

Imo super heavies vehicles commander should not include "major league" abilities, it imo it should be balance around Ostheer stuka AI strafe and that would mean lowering CP to 6-8 and mu cost.
7 Mar 2021, 12:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Mar 2021, 07:03 AMMMX

You will be forced to backtech sooner or later nevertheless. With buff to PTRS Penals one squad is enough to fend off enemy light vehicles/tanks. You don't need a M42 for that, because you get all you need in T1. With a far penetration of 90 and a damage of only 80 this PAK is insufficient to fight mediums let alone a Panther, Brummbar or Tiger later on. Sooner or later you'll need a pair of ZIS which has exactly double pentration and double damage (yes, with lower RoF) while taking only one population slot more. It is way more cost efficient and can take on heavies.
Pip
7 Mar 2021, 16:44 PM

I want to make a proposition for five commanders. All five commanders are medicore for different reasons and could be good with some minor tweaking. The idea is to put in not more than two changes to make them worthwhile. One commander for each faction - just to be fair.

Though it would be thematic to replace the M-42 with a different (and more "defensive") unit/ability, the M42 is a strong unit for Soviet, and this is one of the abilities people pick the commander /for/.

Regarding giving Soviet a "Riegel" mine equivalent; This shouldn't be an "Engineer" buildable mine. Immobilisation mines are built only by vehicles currently, which I have to assume is intended to make their placement more "costly", and to make them less able to be spammed. You'd want to give this ability to the Soviet Halftrack, not to Combat Engineers, if it were to even be considered to be added at all.

Why was that interesting soviet barbed wire removed from this commander ages back, anyway? The one that acted like deep snow? Was it bugged somehow, or was it just really AIDS for some reason? Its a pretty interesting and unique gimmick.

I'd suggest toying with the idea of giving the commander a "Soviet" version of Hull Down... but for whatever reason Soviet already have that as a specific vehicle gimmick, rather than being an ability you could just give to CEs and apply to any vehicle.

Ostheer: Defensive Doctrine

Sure, though I much preferred Unit G17's suggestion of giving any FRP functionality that OST might get to a sd.kfz.261, rather than to a bunker or similar ability. No other faction has such an ability tied to a vehicle, and it would be pretty interesting.

OKW: Elite Armored Doctrine

I like the idea of providing Elite Armoured with more options in terms of "Armour" units, though it's a shame the Ostwind doesn't synergise at all with HEAT nor with the Panzer Commander upgrade. Still, the Ostwind provides something quite desirable to OKW, and it kind of makes more sense for it to be here, rather than in Scavenge Doctrine.

A command Panther with HEAT (Combined with other vehicles with HEAT, thanks to the Aura) feels like it might be rather too strong, though. I shouldn't want to see HEAT be nerfed, so I don't think it would be a good idea to add that unit here... and it's ostensibly unique to another commander anyway. It's a shame, as it would be thematic. If the Command Panther were changed to not provide an aura, and instead provide utility castables instead, then this would be more reasonable. The Command Panzer IV would be a better fit, it's less able to abuse HEAT than the command panther... but it would similarly want to be changed to have utility abilities rather than an aura (Which would impact a lot of other doctrines)

If a "command" unit might want to be considered for the Doctrine, I'd suggest giving the 223 this functionality, increasing the cost of that upgrade, and replacing the "lockdown" function from the 223 with the OSTheer Opel Blitz.

UKF: Commandos

Sounds reasonable? Commando Regiment is insanely munitions-heavy for some reason. I don't know enough about this commander and its use to comment with any real authority, however, so I'm afraid I don't have that much else to say.

Given that this is the "Commando" doctrine, perhaps there is some design space left to devise a new sort of "Commando" squad, so that this commander has multiple options? Not really sure what it would do though, and honestly I dont know if any squad that doesn't just act like the current Commando squad would feel like a "Commando"

USF: Recon Company

The bundled airdops should simply be divided into the ability to requisition Paras, and the ability to requisition the team weapons separately. All "bundles" should be changed in this way, as they're too limiting, and make you pay far too much if you're only actually wanting one of the units within the bundle (which is more often than not the case).

The Greyhound is thematic; It's a recon vehicle... it's just it's historically been a little difficult to balance. I don't think the M-10 or 76 are particularly fitting thematically in this commander, incidentally... and the M-10 is underused because it doesnt really have much of a niche.

If you were going to give additional recon elements to the commander, I'd suggest giving them to the Paras or the Pathfinders, rather than to Riflemen.

7 Mar 2021, 17:02 PM

Let's talk about the Lend-Lease Assault Team, again. Remember that the defenders of this ridiculous design justified this by the fact that the assault team appears faster than the building of T3. Now there is no such excuse. With the new T3 price, resources and T3 construction occurs before CP3. And I'm heading for the redesign of the assault team.
PAGES (15)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS