Login

russian armor

CoH2: All-Out War Edition - 64bit

30 Oct 2020, 00:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2020, 00:26 AMClarity
I thought we were going to get the map patch and 64-bit in the base game with this but I doesn't look like it. :(

Smart money would have been before the game went on sale for a $1. Now we have 10-11k players all crashing in automatch and deleting the game because it is buggy :guyokay:

I would really love to know what goes on in a gaming company like this. What is everyone doing there? Why does everything take several months to do? Just in general. I am not saying this particular patch. Just every thing they do takes months longer than it seems like it should.

If I equate it to my IRL work experience I would guess Coh2 is the lowest importance thing in the company. Or Sega has their hands around Relics balls so tight they cant do anything?

30 Oct 2020, 06:19 AM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2020, 00:42 AMRosbone
If I equate it to my IRL work experience I would guess Coh2 is the lowest importance thing in the company. Or Sega has their hands around Relics balls so tight they cant do anything?

Relic ideas are worthless without good execution. Even if we assume the best CoH intentions there are just to many Relic leaders/managers who fail in execution with little top down accountability.
Relic leaders could have turned DoW3 failures into success stories by removing deadweight.
For me, the most disappointing thing is the corporate hypocrisy/double standards and empty promises.

My fan advice to Relic/Sega management;
Walk-the-talk or STFU!.

For example, Relic leaders still claim to be a transparent company.
If Relic leaders believes that's true then I'm James Bond :D (wishful thinking).

This is Nintendo leaders walking the talk;
Nintendo's Transparency on Metroid Prime 4's Development Reboot is a Breath of Fresh Air:
30 Oct 2020, 06:36 AM

Relic leaders could have turned DoW3 failures into success stories by removing deadweight.
For me, the most disappointing thing is the corporate hypocrisy/double standards and empty promises.

Company of Heroes 2 will be entirely about the Eastern Front - Quinn Duffy.
30 Oct 2020, 08:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2020, 00:42 AMRosbone

Smart money would have been before the game went on sale for a $1. Now we have 10-11k players all crashing in automatch and deleting the game because it is buggy :guyokay:

I would really love to know what goes on in a gaming company like this. What is everyone doing there? Why does everything take several months to do? Just in general. I am not saying this particular patch. Just every thing they do takes months longer than it seems like it should.

The answer is likely quite simple, things take time and game development is never smooth. :)
30 Oct 2020, 20:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Oct 2020, 08:34 AMwuff
The answer is likely quite simple, things take time and game development is never smooth. :)

Yes in RL I am a systems engineer/integrator who built test equipment and wrote software to run and calibrate equipment. If someone said we need to do this, it got done ASAP. If it was not important it never got done.

I am a nob programmer who wrote a simple 2D game engine and map editor in just over a month. That is just one guy, me. Assuming Relic has at least 40-100 programmers I would expect things to get done rather quickly.

Which brings me to my post. Clearly COH2 is not a big money maker for Relic. So they will not put too much manpower on it. But saying we will do a patch and then taking months to do it seems odd. Because we know the Community Manager can get it done in a couple of days.

So are management pulling the CM off COH2 to do other stuff and leaving us hanging? Does the CM have too much responsibility? Maybe pay them less and make them CM only? Does everything have to go thru SEGA and the middle management there is causing the slow downs.

I am not complaining about the patchs. Just seriously curious why Relic tries so hard to leave an impression of not knowing what they are doing? Seems backwards to me.

31 Oct 2020, 10:01 AM

I was always wondering where all these programmers hide. It´s not only in CoH, i often wonder how these people could even get payment.
I mean, all the programming people, where do they all come from?
all the programming people, where do they all belong?
31 Oct 2020, 10:56 AM

Gamedev here: our company has been porting, releasing and re-releasing the same game or variations of the same game for every possible platforms. I'm bored of it. It sells, that's all what matters for us.
31 Oct 2020, 11:21 AM

Gamedev here: our company has been porting, releasing and re-releasing the same game or variations of the same game for every possible platforms. I'm bored of it. It sells, that's all what matters for us.

#bethesda
31 Oct 2020, 13:26 PM

Tbh I'm not even sure that 64 version is even being made by relic in a first place. It can be done by someone from microsoft with relic\sega supervision. The same way Warcraft 3 reforged modeling was made by third party company.

Its a common experience. There is most likely no deducated dev team for coh2, but ppl who are working on different projects and being called to upload\fix something what is already been done.

I mean, just look at the updates in general, why would sega\relic would want to keep dev team deducated to coh2 and paying them sellaries when updates are non existent pretty much and patches are done by the community.
Pip
2 Nov 2020, 00:11 AM

Company of Heroes 2 will be entirely about the Eastern Front - Quinn Duffy.

To be fair, I think WFA was a correct decision, even if those armies have been somewhat of a thorn regarding balance. You're a bit limited for factions if you stuck to the Eastern Front.
2 Nov 2020, 00:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2020, 00:11 AMPip

To be fair, I think WFA was a correct decision, even if those armies have been somewhat of a thorn regarding balance. You're a bit limited for factions if you stuck to the Eastern Front.

Well not really, going WFA was just more easier of a chose. EF easily could have get somesort of WaffenSS based faction, Soviets could have easily get somesort of the Guards army (elite soviet regements), again somesort of the faction based off all collaborators and Allies for Germans and so on. WFA just gave more distinct factions aswell as relic played on nostalgia bringing back USF and UKF.

In terms of inf play, it doesnt really matter what kind of factions we have right now, since pretty much all the upgrades\abilities even tech trees can be applyed to pretty much any faction, just change models.

And both soviets and germans in terms of amor\weaponary possabilities had greater number of unique and fan vehicles\weapons, then US and UK combined, consideting both US and UK were more concentrated either on artylery or airsupperiority IRL.
2 Nov 2020, 03:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2020, 00:11 AMPip

I agree with the comment below. The USSR and Germany also have units for at least one new faction, for example, the Guards Army. Plus there is a Hungarian mix of Hungarian units and German units if you are tired of the Germans. But .. the company of scum and all this criticism, instead of fulfilling their promises and fixing the situation (why the British were needed without the opposite side, without a campaign - this is not a DLC, but a stub), but instead of Britain, make a good big DLC about the Eastern Front with a history ... it happened like this:

2 Nov 2020, 09:51 AM

what are the chances they do a World of Warcraft Update Fuck-up and kill the game?
2 Nov 2020, 16:11 PM

Extremely high.

If the update even ships out in the first place that is since it's been what, 4-5 days now since it should have already dropped?
Pip
2 Nov 2020, 17:01 PM

Im led to believe the 64 bit version still has some issues that are being worked out, which is why it has been delayed. I think it'll be alright once it eventually does release.

I doubt they will do a WOW level fuck-up, assuming they're smart enough to retain the 32 bit version when they DO attempt to push the 64 bit one. Then again, Lelic, anything is possible.
Only Relic postRelic 2 Nov 2020, 21:27 PM
Developer Relic Badge

Apologies for the delays with the 64 bit update. We're trying to ensure a quality product at launch.

Without going into all the speculation here, two main reasons for the delay are;

A) We were working to resolve technical issues, some of which required collaboration with external parties.
B) Our game is now on two platforms. Aside from the additional scope for issues, our release pipeline has become a lot more complicated, with differing requirements between platforms.

We hope to have the update live in 1-2 weeks.

2 Nov 2020, 21:31 PM

Apologies for the delays with the 64 bit update. We're trying to ensure a quality product at launch.

Without going into all the speculation here, two main reasons for the delay are;

A) We were working to resolve technical issues, some of which required collaboration with external parties.
B) Our game is now on two platforms. Aside from the additional scope for issues, our release pipeline has become a lot more complicated, with differing requirements between platforms.

Thank for the updated, I consider it more important even than delivering the update itself.
2 Nov 2020, 22:16 PM

Dear Relic,

Please give Andy more money and power. He is awesome.

Thanks Andy, you are pro.
3 Nov 2020, 00:16 AM

:sibTux:
Pip
3 Nov 2020, 01:13 AM

Thank you, Andy. I expect most people don't mind waiting so long as the expected wait time/reasons for the wait are communicated.

I look forward to the update.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS