Login

russian armor

Current state of the Tiger

1 Sep 2020, 20:45 PM

Hello guys,

lately the impression has arisen with me that the tiger has become as good as useless. Sure, the 88 cannon is strong against almost all tanks, but the armour itself is quickly running out against tank destroyers like M36, SU 85 and Firefly.

Basically you can use the Tiger as a medium killer or just a support Unit you have to protect with AT so that the tank destroyers do not follow. Against infantry, it feels like it is worse than a Panzer 4, which further weakens its original role as a generalist. I now almost always prefer the Panther, which costs much less fuel.

The doctrines with the Tiger have, in my opinion, lost in value. I don't want to complain because the Wher is currently not in the worst condition and there are many very strong non-doctrinal units. Nevertheless, I ask myself what place the Tiger currently finds in the game, I avoid it meanwhile and regret it almost always to bring it on the field.

What do you guys think about the Tiger?
1 Sep 2020, 21:59 PM

Tank destroyers and AT guns already eating all armor frontally anyway.

Regarding its AT, its pretty much panther slow panther with slightly less penetration, I belive tiges has 10 or so less.

Regarding AI, it depends on how you use it. When squads are damaged its AI is alright, against full HP squads it takes time to kill them, since AI damage comes from AOE and MGs, rather then sniper hits.

Overall tiger is more of a slowly moving support unit, rather then advance unit.

In general, all at least heavy tanks should follow tiger example, with damage comming from AOE and Mgs rather then sniping shots.

As a unit Tiger is good, when compared to King Tiger\IS-2\Comet\ISU\KV2 its AI is lackluster.
17 Sep 2020, 16:27 PM

I feel like the Tiger is just a slightly better PzIV at this point - it can eat rounds head on, but not sustained damage. It's no longer the breakthrough tank it used to be. It can still hurt infantry, but it has definitely turned into more of a support role and definitely needs to be kept at a distance, while supported by PzGs w/ Shreks or another PzIV.
17 Sep 2020, 16:57 PM

Tiger is balanced. I only trust the secret tests of the balanceGod93 on the matter. The entire playerbase is too stupid to be trusted.
17 Sep 2020, 20:49 PM

I see a Tiger, then it disappears. That is all. (When I play Allies, it isn’t intimidating at all and an AT gun can threaten it enough to back away. I’ve had some success using it as a glorified mobile pillbox in urban maps where TDs are easily lured into death traps but.....pz IV is more cost effective vs inf)
17 Sep 2020, 21:50 PM
18 Sep 2020, 02:16 AM

and that's when exactly?

http://www.companyofheroes.com/leaderboards#profile/steam/76561198059170410/standings

:huhsign:

I took a break so all the Allied RT rankings are gone, I can't stand USF as a faction to boot :P That OST rating was basically me just memeing drunk one night.

Kinda impressed you actually looked the stats up though lol. What can I say, I wanted a high ranking in 4v4 RT and gave up on that after many many disastrous games. And then back to 3v3 slowly grinding back up to 30.

EDIT: Kinda says a lot that my most common game mode since starting is Team of 2 Allies :huhsign:
18 Sep 2020, 02:44 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

It really doesn't feel all that great from either side, unless you count watching it turn into mist from allied TDs. I know there were triple nerfs to it in the previous patch and on paper the AoE nerfs didn't look that bad, but I think the fact that most tanks are more or less RNG machines with their main guns and just not enough AoE can basically mean if they scatter too much, they actually do laughable damage. Although the tiger is the best of heavies when it comes to reload, even that doesn't seem to be able to make it worth while. 5-6 seconds reloading is another round from a TD and more time in the back repairing.

I think all heavies are facing similar issues like this currently. They can't be pushed away from a single squad pushing them with snares. They need to be able to fight off infantry pushes to some degree without having moments of zero DPS because of RNG.
18 Sep 2020, 05:37 AM

This is the state of all ostheer tanks they are BS and crap compared to all allied factions now constantly missing p4 doing less damage than a t-34...... its rediculous. And to make matters worse allies easily get 3 tanks to your one its a really bad joke.
12 Oct 2020, 21:37 PM

Tiger sucks, unfortunatley. With it being quite slow, it really needs to hurt inf. Slow = easy target, harder to keep alive. So it needs to be threatening as trade off.

Panther will do the job vs armour, but is way less risky as its much faster. And you can afford an addional Pwerfer for same price.

Only time its good is if you got a very big lead and want to crush them early.

If its really not allowed to have too good AI, maybe it should have a bit more damage vs tanks, to really reinforce that role and make it feared.

Slow units should hit like a truck.
12 Oct 2020, 21:54 PM

Tiger sucks, unfortunatley. With it being quite slow, it really needs to hurt inf. Slow = easy target, harder to keep alive. So it needs to be threatening as trade off.

Panther will do the job vs armour, but is way less risky as its much faster. And you can afford an addional Pwerfer for same price.

Only time its good is if you got a very big lead and want to crush them early.

If its really not allowed to have too good AI, maybe it should have a bit more damage vs tanks, to really reinforce that role and make it feared.

Slow units should hit like a truck.

How do you guys always find these month(s) old threads? Like, did you just lose a game with Tiger then search "Tiger" keyword on the forums in order to rant about it?
16 Oct 2020, 09:45 AM

How do you guys always find these month(s) old threads?

Well last post was like three weeks ago, it's more a product of the forums not being as active as they once were.

I don't really use the Tiger, just not worth the risk. But that's a real shame.
17 Nov 2020, 03:23 AM

I found with the Tiger Xp bulletin and Tiger sight plus turret rotation bulletin, it´s actually very decent tank
3 Dec 2020, 19:57 PM

One small fix to would be to give Tiger a sight improvement. Similar skill that su-85 gets, it can see further but only in a small cone view front. Tiger was never go close range tank, it was more sit 1km away and snipe with it's 88mm with superior scopes.
3 Dec 2020, 20:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2020, 19:57 PMThamor
One small fix to would be to give Tiger a sight improvement. Similar skill that su-85 gets, it can see further but only in a small cone view front. Tiger was never go close range tank, it was more sit 1km away and snipe with it's 88mm with superior scopes.

Play Tiger Ace -_-
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 44
Germany 26
Germany 81
Israel 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L