Login

russian armor

USF Calliope balancing

3 Aug 2020, 04:26 AM

Having read all that imo its SPEED may be the answer to all problems.

It could be done in a few ways but the concept would be to make it the most heavily armoured but also the slowest among rocket arty units.

If calliope was, for example, 50% slower it could make it more vulnerable to AT stuff and would allow it to retain its armour. Some other ideas of slowing it down could be used (70% speed penalty after the barrage for 15 seconds, etc).

What do U guys think?
3 Aug 2020, 05:06 AM

Speed is a great idea.

Give me increased scatter with distance on the SZF. Then cut calliope health to 320 and cut speed to 70%. Maybe increase time between rockets to increase vulnerable period.
3 Aug 2020, 06:30 AM

caliope is a perfekt example how lazy an unit can be implemented:

- has great shot-gun mode with fast landing rocket, where you have nearly no time to react
- has really good armor where even p4 bounce...dont talk about puma..which is a dive-in-kill-weak-armor-verhicle
- can be spamed into popcap
- in a commander which come with triple elite bazooka squads which deny every armor dive in
3 Aug 2020, 09:29 AM

Having read all that imo its SPEED may be the answer to all problems.

It could be done in a few ways but the concept would be to make it the most heavily armoured but also the slowest among rocket arty units.

If calliope was, for example, 50% slower it could make it more vulnerable to AT stuff and would allow it to retain its armour. Some other ideas of slowing it down could be used (70% speed penalty after the barrage for 15 seconds, etc).

What do U guys think?

That is not a bad idea. And it's logical. Having a mounted rocket arty on your small tank is not really an easy burden.

Slower velocity after barrage is especially a good idea.
3 Aug 2020, 18:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jul 2020, 19:47 PMKatitof

Its a TANK, not cardboard box on tracks, like pwerfer.

Prove it to me what the difference of a Sherman and a German Halftrack, being well shot by a 75mm German anti-tank gun.
3 Aug 2020, 19:04 PM

Prove it to me what the difference of a Sherman and a German Halftrack, being well shot by a 75mm German anti-tank gun.

Only if you'll sit inside for tests.
3 Aug 2020, 23:16 PM

My point was that, that upped USF\UKF blobs are by far the strongest compare to grens\volks blobs. You can counter them by blob of yourself, while Sov\Ost\OKW cant counter western allies blobs by their blobs, thats why they have stock rocket arty.

At least its my opinion.

no offence, but you sound like you have extremely one sided experience of coh2. What exact blobs are you referring to? Stock infantry vs stock infantry? Is it allowed to have doctrinal infantry (guards, shocks, falls, JLIs etc) or doctrinal upgrades for line infantry (g42s, con SVTs, 5th veteran gren etc)? What about elite stock German infantry like pgrens or obers, or side tech infantry like penals? At which point of the game and in which game mode (1v1, 2v2 etc) blobbing occurs? Etc.

Also OST have Sturmpanzer IV or Brummbar that is extremely effective against grouping enemies, while being pretty sturdy at the same time.
8 Aug 2020, 10:13 AM

Apart from survivability, Calliope has no outstanding advantage over other rocket artillery. If you want to take survivability back from Calliope, you'll have to tweak cp, price, barrage cooldown, etc. When this happens, Calliope becomes a PW with just the skin changed.
8 Aug 2020, 21:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2020, 10:13 AMLoren
Apart from survivability, Calliope has no outstanding advantage over other rocket artillery. If you want to take survivability back from Calliope, you'll have to tweak cp, price, barrage cooldown, etc. When this happens, Calliope becomes a PW with just the skin changed.

this is a joke, right?
caliope has this shotgun in closerange like katjuscha which wipe every stuff without any reaction time and has much more range than PW and much more rockets.

the impact of a caliope is much bigger
9 Aug 2020, 04:10 AM

That's why it's range is 200. Whereas Stuka zu Fuss has a 1000 max range and 160 HP. In other words to use Calliope you need to get it to the front line.
Stuka -> Low hp/armor, devestating precise long range strike

Calliop -> Low range AOE rocket arty that may or may not kill. Also it's in salvoes so you have time to react whereas Stuka drops them in a sec or two making you pray that it misses.

If Stuka had 5 times the range of Calliope we'd all be complaining about the Stuka. Those numbers are super wrong, since even 60 or 70 range is more than one screen away. 1000 range would be like base-to-base for a 4 v 4 map.
9 Aug 2020, 04:11 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Aug 2020, 10:13 AMLoren

We should also make it stock and call it a day.

There's enough faction flavour as it is, I'd rather have balance and playability.
9 Aug 2020, 13:15 PM

it has higher price,timing and popcost to match its performance.

but thats the only drawback it has, in almost all other aspects, its got the edge over its peers, save for stuka, which has more concentrated strike.

but where it really shines is the commander urban assault

I had a random 4v4 match week-2 ago, played the urban assault commander vs 3 ost and 1 okw i think it was, i went bananas with rangers+zooks and callipoe's.

went 4 rangers +zooks total 12 zooks.
went 3 calliope's.
with major,rear echelon and ambulance. think that was all.

i just placed some mines around for dives by enemy just in case, but they never got that far :-)

it was completely one-sided, they got elefants, brumbars, panthers, continuosly wore them down with cali's, and wiped even brumbars in 1 salvo from rangerzooks.think there was 2 brummbars and a ostwind there, wiped them with losing 1 of 4 ranger squads

the PZwerfers i simply evaded with the smoke+speed call-in when i pushed in.

mg's, mg-bunkers and mines i bypassed with with smoke+speed call-in and ''mine-clearing'' with cali's.

counterblobs slaughtered before they even got close to my rangerzooks push by cali's.

and AA protection was a SOV quad AA closest to me, stopping all attempts at off-map attacks.

balance......
9 Aug 2020, 15:10 PM

If Stuka had 5 times the range of Calliope we'd all be complaining about the Stuka. Those numbers are super wrong, since even 60 or 70 range is more than one screen away. 1000 range would be like base-to-base for a 4 v 4 map.

It's the hardcoded range. I was looking at the wrong number. The range by itself means nothing. The ability range is what matters and there they are on equal footing, more-less.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS