Login

russian armor

Calliope shotgunning nerf ideas

22 Jul 2020, 19:45 PM

Currently, the calliope is a bit too good at deleting team weapons. It gives barely any time to react, and is able to frontally assault AT guns and win.

During Miragefla’s stream, one of his ideas was to delay the firing of the rockets by a few seconds or to reduce its damage output so that your opponent has more time to react to the calliope. Another change could be to reduce its health, making shotgunning more risky.
However, reducing its health would take away its uniqueness, and adding a delay long enough or reducing the damage enough to allow AT guns to escape would probably require nerfing it to the state of the old calliope, which as we know, no one built.

Instead, I think a good change would be to make it take a main gun crit upon receiving damage at full health.
This would make shotgunning much more difficult because taking any damage would end the barrage. With this change, you would have to position the calliope behind cover to use the barrage or clear the area of all AT, just like other rocket artillery. Conversely, this would allow it to keep its post buff lethality.

Basically, if this change were implemented, the Calliope wouldn’t be able to shotgun opponents out in the open, as its barrage would be interrupted by taking damage. However, would keep its current lethality, and would still be more resistant to dives and allow for riskier plays due to it remaining a 3 shot kill.
22 Jul 2020, 19:54 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I don't agree with this approach. I think the issue here is that unless you have your AT guns or tank such as a panther setup in position ready to immediately cancel the barrage, the "shotgun" part of the barrage still acheives its purpose, likely targeting those AT guns, or MG etc. Basically I think that the idea that it gets canceled will not arrive fast enough before the damage is done.

I hope the calliope is addressed in the future in some form, and at the absolute minimum has its front armor lowered from 160 -> 110. Similar to the jackson, this unit has no reason to be bouncing shells from p4s. Other adjustments would be welcome, maybe HP nerf with a price reduction etc.
22 Jul 2020, 19:54 PM

Lower the minimum range by about 20m but keep the current performance at all ranges.
22 Jul 2020, 19:59 PM

]Lower the minimum range by about 20m but keep the current performance at all ranges.

And what exactly will that achieve? That would actually be a buff.
22 Jul 2020, 20:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2020, 19:59 PMVipper

And what exactly will that achieve? That would actually be a buff.

Lower = reduce

CalliOP will lose 20m of minimum range and will have to fire from further away.
22 Jul 2020, 20:20 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Lower = reduce

You lower/reduce the maximum range or increase the minimum range. That's how a nerf would work.

I got your point but that's not how it will be understood.
22 Jul 2020, 20:25 PM

Currently, the calliope is a bit too good at deleting team weapons. It gives barely any time to react, and is able to frontally assault AT guns and win....

Calliope should simply not be in commander that has AT rangers and upgunned shermans.

Lower = reduce

That is an increase of minimum range.

I agree that this would be a step in the right direction and had actually suggested last time Calliope was patched.

22 Jul 2020, 22:46 PM

Deleting weapon teams and breaking stalemates is literally why rocket arty exist.
22 Jul 2020, 23:55 PM

Unless they can make the calliope a regular Sherman that can barrage and give that barrage a munitions cost to balance it I do not see any way to have the unit unique and in a state where it's fun to use and a challenge to play against.
It needs to be a drain on the economy to use frequently to warrant being on a strong delivery system.
23 Jul 2020, 03:55 AM

Ensuring Rocket Arty cant shoot from close enough to just annihilate team weapons will really help keep them alive, for good or bad.

All rocket arty except Land Mattress and SZF (cause it doesn't care about range for accuracy) has the same issue.
23 Jul 2020, 07:09 AM

Nerf calliope, make it stock. I think its too strong too but its doctrinal and us gets no stock heavy arty besides major
23 Jul 2020, 07:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2020, 20:25 PMVipper

Calliope should simply not be in commander that has AT rangers and upgunned shermans.

Why? Other factions can have in the same time heavy tanks, rocket Arty, stationary heavy arty and elite infantry.

Caliope is strong but why the rest of the commander in your opinion must be useless
i have no idea

23 Jul 2020, 11:13 AM

Why? Other factions can have in the same time heavy tanks, rocket Arty, stationary heavy arty and elite infantry.

Caliope is strong but why the rest of the commander in your opinion must be useless
i have no idea

Ask Relic who designed the first commander with Calliope, this is not my idea but Relics.

If one want diversity in commander one has to bring all commanders at about the same power level.
23 Jul 2020, 12:47 PM

There are loads of commanders on both axis and allies which have several combinations of abilities if they are strung together they make them proper strong but that makes the uniqueness of the commanders. Example, Axis has loads of good commanders with PFs which are easily elite units. Calliope has its own elite too. Nobody wants commanders to be neutered to boredom. Keep the good stuff together.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United Kingdom 153
unknown 8

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment