Login

russian armor

UI Bug Seemingly Increasing in Frequency on Eindhoven

8 Jul 2020, 20:23 PM

Just a post to make mention of the seemingly increasing frequency of UI bugs I'm getting on Eindhoven primarily (if not exclusively) while playing OKW which now has been occurring across several units and is not consistently fixed by hitting escape. Going to reinstall game, clear local cache, verify the integrity of my game files and then see if the issue persists. Just wanted to make this post to see whether other people have been having a similar issue on this map in particular as the bug has otherwise been absent from the 2v2 map pool at least for me.
8 Jul 2020, 20:40 PM

Just a post to make mention of the seemingly increasing frequency of UI bugs I'm getting on Eindhoven primarily (if not exclusively) while playing OKW which now has been occurring across several units and is not consistently fixed by hitting escape. Going to reinstall game, clear local cache, verify the integrity of my game files and then see if the issue persists. Just wanted to make this post to see whether other people have been having a similar issue on this map in particular as the bug has otherwise been absent from the 2v2 map pool at least for me.

It is not your PC. Each map that gets uploaded to the Relic server has a chance of getting this bug. No one knows why or how.

I have personally seen that the order you select units is the cause. So if you get the UI bug you can:
- Click the unit icons on the upper right of the screen Left and back. If that doesnt work Right and back.
- Some people have good luck clicking on a building and then back.
- Veto Eindhoven. Each player has teh same chance to get the error so it is balanced.
8 Jul 2020, 20:50 PM

Not your computer. It's a Relic problem.

(Basically +1 to what Rosbone just said)
8 Jul 2020, 20:57 PM

When I saw the bug, it was an order of selection. So maybe if someone is using hotkeys they may get it more often? I need to do some more testing...in my free time.
8 Jul 2020, 21:13 PM

Sad to hear as I'm quite a fan of Eindhoven, will keep trying to document it's occurrences and see if I can replicate it
10 Jul 2020, 07:04 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

“ITs oNLy oN vILsHaNkA” and “IT DoEsN’t dO iT On otHEr MApS”

Yet since this has become a prominent and well known topic, I’ve tried to tell people with each patch it spreads to other maps with more and more regularity.

This is a Relic bug and has something to do with the recompiling/uploading process that they do. It is only going to get worse as the patches roll out and the community works on any of the maps.
10 Jul 2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2020, 07:04 AMTric
“ITs oNLy oN vILsHaNkA” and “IT DoEsN’t dO iT On otHEr MApS”

Yet since this has become a prominent and well known topic, I’ve tried to tell people with each patch it spreads to other maps with more and more regularity.

This is a Relic bug and has something to do with the recompiling/uploading process that they do. It is only going to get worse as the patches roll out and the community works on any of the maps.

Could you elaborate why you think that there is some kind of "accumulation" over time that makes it worse?

It could be something within the Relic server infrastructure, then the CoH community could do nothing about it. If however it has something to do with properties of the map, then the only way the error "accumulates" would be if the map always gets downloaded from Relic servers for reworking, or am I wrong here?

How do custom maps behave? I don't think the maps in the workshop get compiled by Relic as well, so we should not see any error or accumulation there?

I am quite interested why you think that the issue will become worse with further patching.
10 Jul 2020, 11:32 AM

How do custom maps behave? I don't think the maps in the workshop get compiled by Relic as well, so we should not see any error or accumulation there?

Vilshanka was played a lot in Trics SMC before it was uploaded. And no UI bug ever surfaced.

I recall doing a byte-by-byte comparison of pre-Relic and post-Relic uploads and the files matched. But that means the files were unzipped/unpacked.

This almost points to the Relic zipping function that is altering data somehow? Which would indicate a certain byte order causes a zipping error. However, I recall Tric saying multiple versions of Vilshanka were uploaded trying to fix the UI issue. What are the odds each version had the same exact byte order?

Or the files on the Relic server are messed up, not the local downloaded files. But I do not see the path for the SCAR UI to get bugged locally from server data packets. Need someone smart to figure that out.

As for me, I edited Einhoven last and never had issues locally. I also edited Lienne forest on the first patch and it worked fine locally and live. Made some adjustments for the next patch and now it has the UI bug as well.

But I need to redo the byte-to-byte tests again because I am fuzzy on the details.

NOTE: Rhzev Winter was bugged with british planes not working. I deleted everything off the map and it was still bugged. I made a copy and pasted it onto a NEW map, bug gone. So very weird unexplainable stuff happens to maps.
10 Jul 2020, 16:23 PM

Read twice initial post - still didn't figure out what kind of bugs are you all talking about? I've had some @ 4v Lienne like ability buttons of mortar and grens blended somehow. Also disappeared controls for brit sections: couldn't retreat, throw nade... nothing.
10 Jul 2020, 16:28 PM

The missing abilities, both action and movement (attack, retreat...) bugs cost me plenty a unit in competitive. You'd click T for them to retreat only to notice the unit is blank xD. I don't think it's a fixable bug for the community. I think that's something that only direct source code access people can do.
10 Jul 2020, 16:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2020, 16:23 PMHater
Read twice initial post - still didn't figure out what kind of bugs are you all talking about? I've had some @ 4v Lienne like ability buttons of mortar and grens blended somehow. Also disappeared controls for brit sections: couldn't retreat, throw nade... nothing.

Yes that's the exact issue.
I have experienced it some time ago, but did not have issues for the last months despite playing Einhoven and other affected maps regularly. Maybe it's just a lucky streak. But only the other I think they don't happen too often anyway. Most games are still fine, although no one obviously sees the bug if it happens to someone else.
I once had the feeling though that if the bug happens, you have a decent chance of it occuring a second time in the same match
10 Jul 2020, 17:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2020, 16:23 PMHater

In most instances of the bug, the entire menu will disappear and you will have NO hotkeys for that unit.

Other times, you will get the menu for the previous unit you selected. You will have a UI, but the wrong UI. Example would be your Panzer iV now has sandbag and flamer buttons. So many times, people may not realize they had the bug as long as the menus are similar between the unit being used and the last unit selected.

As I stated before, when I saw the bug it was if I selected units in a certain order, I could recreate the bug every time. If I had 10 units and I selected units 2 then 3 then 7, I would get unit 3's menu. And by clicking unit 8 then unit 7, unit 7s menu would return. This may not be every ones experience though. Others click an empty house and the menu returns. Which again, means click something else then back, but dont click the last unit you selected and come back or the menu may still be bugged.

Just guessing for now...

My original post when I did byte testing:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/102679/ui-for-inf-disappear-ingame/page/2#post_id797469
Code

I am still testing but so far:
1) I took the live map files, did not change anything, did not press SAVE, and recompiled it. Got the UI bug.
2) If I change the scenario name and then recompile, I do not get any UI bugs.
3) Changed the scenario name back to original ID string and recompiled. No UI bugs.

I need to test the LIVE compile files vs unchanged files.

LIVE files renamed and compiled creates four major file differences:
- SCENARIOMARKER
- SBG
- _LAO.DDS
- _TDM.DDS

I used HxD HEX EDITOR to compare files at the byte level. The differences were large.

So saving the files in the worldbuilder seems to fix what ever errors exist in those four files.

No SCAR code changes were found. And as we have seen in Lienne Forest, the SCAR code was not changed but the bug was introduced. So it looks like the binary map files are getting bugged at some point.

More testing to come...
10 Jul 2020, 19:53 PM

I think I've found a way to reproduce the vilshanka bug at eindoven.

As soviets:
- Have a Zis3
- Steal a raketen with ppsh cons
- Control+left click on any of the AT guns unit card on the top right (this should select all available ATG type units)

There is some instances this will not work. Keep trying. It should work 7 out of 10 times.

An attack order issued with the right click button will make the unit UI reappear, selecting any other unit type will also fix the UI

In my current test, the Zis UI is working, but the raketen is showing the Zis UI and does not have any effect on the unit behavior

Zis

Bugged Zis

Raketen

Raketen with zis UI

12 Jul 2020, 07:52 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Could you elaborate why you think that there is some kind of "accumulation" over time that makes it worse?

It could be something within the Relic server infrastructure, then the CoH community could do nothing about it. If however it has something to do with properties of the map, then the only way the error "accumulates" would be if the map always gets downloaded from Relic servers for reworking, or am I wrong here?

I am quite interested why you think that the issue will become worse with further patching.

Every patch they recompile the entire game.

Any community updates to maps = recompile of those maps specifically.

Each recompile = more ui bugs across more maps with more frequency
12 Jul 2020, 20:10 PM

Happened again, this time with cons

Same as before. Control+left click on the unit cards on the top right corner
13 Jul 2020, 08:12 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Happened again, this time with cons

Please provide some more info if possible about what you did before that and if it was fixable. Best case also provide a replay file.

But from what I get from our map makers in this thread, this problem is not fixable from the community side, so to be honest I don't know how much reporting and describing this bug really helps.
16 Jul 2020, 04:42 AM

At the very least, if we learn how to consistently replicate it we may be able to go out of our way to avoid inducing it. So not pointless but likely without a fix
16 Jul 2020, 04:43 AM

and from what cochosgo has said at least one means of doing so seems to involve CTRL clicking unit cards and then another unit of a different type
17 Jul 2020, 19:46 PM

Units didnt respond to anything but rightclick.
I ended up ff ing a winning game because i couldnt do shit. All my units bugged out.. ALL OF THEM, resulting in me losing them sooner or later.

*except the 2 b4 arties
18 Jul 2020, 07:44 AM

Weren't doing anything of note prior to it starting?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★