Login

russian armor

Ostheer 1v1 tips?

• This thread is locked
4 Jul 2020, 05:11 AM

I've been dabbling a little more in ost 1v1s as of like this week, and I'm enjoying it but I've historically had some trouble as ost overall with just general field presence I guess, and I honestly just feel a lot more exhausted playing ost 1v1 than any other faction somehow, whether I win or lose.

Just to give at least a little context I've been mostly sticking to a pretty generic mg 3 gren opening and throwing a pak in midgame, and just sort of filling my army in during midgame based on what my opponent is doing, and I like keeping mobile defense in my back pocket for soviets (cuz t70). I kind of always just spam p4s in the lategame for lack of me thinking of anything else to build really.

I know replays are helpful and I can throw one up but I haven't been having too much trouble lately as of when I'm making this thread so there's not a great one of me struggling or whatever yet. Just looking for some general gameplay tips for ost since it's probably my least played 1v1 faction but I want to play more of it.
4 Jul 2020, 05:52 AM

Honestly, pzgrens are in a really good spot right now. Try adding one of them into your build order before building t2
16 Jul 2020, 02:45 AM

Yeah Panzergrens, elite infantry available way too early that steam rolls everything.
16 Jul 2020, 10:18 AM

Never use Mobile Defense, absolutely useless doctrine.
22 Jul 2020, 12:02 PM

Can anyone post advise for Wehr players that have to deal with USF in general and with Armor Company as commander? I feel that I can compete with UK and Soviets quiet well but i really dont know how to deal with Assengis. Rifles+Assengis+Stuart is just too much to stomach for me.
22 Jul 2020, 12:26 PM

I mostly go for mg 3 grens 222 and pak into p4 (maybe with pgrens if i can).

I feel like ostheer might struggle into p4 arrives,when it hits you are mostly fine.

You can always bypass your early weakness by picking osttruppen (vs sov) or 5men grens(vs usf). Sniper vs brits is also a good choice but it depends on your micro (and map ofc) .

Basically as ostheer use every tool you have to apply as much pressure until p4 hits the field. Thats why the early game commanders are meta for ost at the moment. Dont bother so much about the lategame, p4 spam or even panther tech if your confident, is often enough for the lategame.
29 Jul 2020, 16:49 PM

I think your Ost rank is already higher than mine (well, I hardly have time to play any more so my very short time in the Ost top 100 is far behind me...!).

But as a Brit "main" the thing I love about Ost is, of course, having tools for everything... and using them to really control one area.

Yeah, it is as you say exhausting, one of the hardest-work factions to play with more micro, no questions. So I personally find that, instead of doing grenspam, using your mortar, mg, Pak, sniper, not to mention the synergy from gren and pgren, can be unbeatable if you focus your energy into one area. Then, like I see a lot of Ost players doing, send your pioneers to cap (or a-move your grens) to try and grab something elsewhere when you have the chance. Then when that stops working, refocus your main effort into another area.

Then, 222 can help get you to p4, though don't fall into the trap of getting one every time as it's not always applicable (222, I mean... p4 is always always applicable ;-)

The T4 stuff is more of a bonus when you already have the upper hand, at least a little...
31 Jul 2020, 13:13 PM

Ditch mobile defense, I'd trust a teller over the puma to get rid of the t70 and besides you want get the p4 ASAP so there is no point on wasting fuel on Puma.
4 Aug 2020, 02:31 AM

Bunkers are your friend to snare infantry without affecting your popcap. This is particularly important against Soviets, and sometimes I'll keep a mortar around my fuel cap bunker MG to counter the 120 blast.

I've been using Ostruppen/T3 to limited success. Ostruppen paired up can build bunkers really fast, leaving my lone engineer squad to plant mines.

A small trick I use is to show an MG 42 garrisoned to infantry, they retreat, then use a trench that covers the same area and while they blast that building to smithereens, have a MG42 set up for the inevitiable push in the trench.

I like using AT stugs, and when paired up, can pretty much take on any allied tank thats not super heavy.

Build T4 late to have a rocket truck to finish opponent.

OKW and OST are diametrically opposed in playstyles. OKW is about diving deep and establishing map control; OST is about defensive pressure and getting allied units to bleed.

Seems I have the most success baiting allies into murder holes where they quickly die.
28 May 2021, 03:25 AM

When the first burst fire from my HMG42 doesn't suppress any squads it makes me sad. :(

That's why I really like the 4% increased ROF bulletin for HMG42 team. Higher chance at suppression. Lovely!
28 May 2021, 09:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2021, 03:25 AMLewka
When the first burst fire from my HMG42 doesn't suppress any squads it makes me sad. :(

That's why I really like the 4% increased ROF bulletin for HMG42 team. Higher chance at suppression. Lovely!

does that bulletin actually make the mg42 supress on the first burst?
28 May 2021, 18:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 May 2021, 09:41 AMSmaug

does that bulletin actually make the mg42 supress on the first burst?

IMO the improved suppression is quite noticeable especially without any vet like in the early game
9 Jun 2021, 12:11 PM

occasionaly use the halftrack instead of 222. As you already know they can also build mines,etc with doctrine so pioneers can focus building stuff. You can also try to focus on denying fuel and rush ostwind. Bait lv to teller mine, intentionally allow ur lv to take hits and retreat the lower the better without dying as most people can't resist chasing. Mixing stugs with your p4s vs med tank spam also helps.
22 Jun 2021, 05:52 AM

What doctrines are you guys using for 1v1 right now after patch?
22 Jun 2021, 10:54 AM

I believe JLI is is the most popular 1v1 commander for ost...others 2, people use all sorts of commanders...from ostruppen, to blitzkrieg, spearhead,...
26 Jun 2021, 05:44 AM

commanders that is rare on 1v1 is Close air support, elefant commanders everything else is probably viable
26 Jun 2021, 07:03 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Let's not necro 1 year old threads.

If you have questions or want to make a thread about ostheer, feel free to make a thread

/locked
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 36

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment