Login

russian armor

Burnout and Dealing with RNG Frustration

4 Jul 2020, 03:53 AM

Hey guys, wondering how you deal with bad RNG and prevent it from causing tilt and what you do to either prevent burnout or help with burnout and lacking the desire to play the game anymore. Deep down I still love the game but I just can't conjure the same feelings I used to have for it these days. Any suggestions?
4 Jul 2020, 05:02 AM

Probably pretty obvious but straight up just taking a break for like a week can do wonders for your outlook on the game. Sometimes it's just so much more fun after you haven't played for a while and all the old wounds heal.
4 Jul 2020, 07:01 AM

We all know what I do. I delete the game. Then get bored a week or two later and reload it.

I deleted about 2-3 weeks ago and was almost gone for good. Then I got the idea to write a golf game and wanted to use the worldbuilder to make the Holes/courses. So I reinstalled.

Then I got the idea of logging peoples disconnects and playing as RestartCoh2EveryGame to advertise to new people.

So I still hate the RNG and want to punch someone at Relic in the dick. But at least some good is coming from me playing. Spreading knowledge in the community trying to reduce bug splats.

<tinfoil hat on>
Once I started logging, I went 23 games with only one person crashing on load. Then in idle conversation I mentioned it to Sturmpanther. the next 4 games I played had 3 crashes on load. The game is evil. I would seriously just delete it for good. Remove all RNG from your life and you will be much happier. If it can screw you, it will. Everytime.
<tinfoil hat off>

The best thing to do is to study what happened on the replay. sometimes the replay is different than what you saw. Meaning the game was lagging server messages etc and made up some bullshit story for you and you believed it.

I dont know how many times I have seen some serious bullshit, then tested it in CheatMods and the game wasnt even close to what I see in cheatmods. Stuff like Vetted Obers getting completely rekt by a mortar teams support models.

The game has WAY TOO MUCH rng. Between the model animation lags, server lags, and just coded RNG its a complete shitfest. So embrace the good/fun moments and let the rng bullshit roll off your back.
4 Jul 2020, 07:53 AM

the next 4 games I played had 3 crashes on load. The game is evil.

Do you only play 4v4 or something? I only ever play 2v2 now really and never have team mates bug splat, esspecially not on loading.

RNG is part of the game, it's fun. A good player should be looking to exploit it, and look out for it screwing you. Don't expect everything to always go your way and it's less frustrating.

I barley notice it much of the time, I focus my thoughts elsewhere, I just try to react to it.
4 Jul 2020, 08:04 AM

Do you only play 4v4 or something? I only ever play 2v2 now really and never have team mates bug splat, esspecially not on loading.

Yes. 4v4 is the only mode that is fun to me. And yes, people crash all the time :)

RNG is part of the game, it's fun.

Loading into a map and calculating your strategy. Then spending the next 10-15 minutes playing it out just the way you planned it to pull off this cool new strat idea and then....RNG decides not today.

So you sit in lobby for 10 minutes, load for a minute or two. Then play your ass off for 15 minutes and the game screws you. Lands a plane on your army. Decrews your tank while chasing down an enemy tank that has no health but somehow kills your tank and now they have two tanks so its G-fuckin-G.

That is fun? If you are dicking around with AI, yes. Automatch, that is ass cancer to the max.

That is why I play only 4v4. You can take a few losses and it does not completely ruin the game. If I played 1v1 only I would have deleted the game and moved on with my life after about 5-7 games. So I am with Clarity. How the hell do people not just uninstall. Oh that's right. They do. That is why our community is next to nothing.

Yes Relic, that is how you ruin an amazing game and totally limit your profits.
4 Jul 2020, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

snip

This is exactly why I like the game. While some things like the crashing planes could have been solved otherwise, I would not play CoH2 if it were just another game where you can exactly calculate how many shots every unit with its laser guided weaponry can take or fire against another unit and the fights will always work the same. There are plenty of games like this already on the market, but the games often turn out to be huge rushes and zerging with a few unit types that are predictably (slightly) better than a comparable unit of the other faction. Just look at high level SC or AoE matches. These matches look weird and alien to me. The main "skill" is not necessarily constantly reevaluating how to approach the attack etc, but just when you have reached the critical mass to destroy your opponent. And this is possible because the outcome of every engagement can be calculated before it happens and it will 99% of the time also turn out that way.
The really frustrating issues of CoH2 (plane crashes etc) are also very rare events. And while it is not fun that this happens and potentially loses you the game, for me the game is too good to throw 50 good games away because this big time bullshit happened in the 51st.

Also I disagree that the CoH community is small. Only AoE2 can beat CoH2 on steam when it comes to player counts. CoH2 is one of the biggest RTS games out there. If you want to see a community that is "next to nothing" maybe have a look at the steel division series, supreme commander and similars. Some of these games are quite new, and there are only 400 people playing them. THAT is a small community.
4 Jul 2020, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The most honest way is probably realizing that in 90% of the cases when you attribute a screwed up game to bad RNG, it was actually yourself that made bad decisions.

The times I lost a fair game to RNG are quite slim. Even if my tank gets abandoned in enemy territory: I knew the chances before hand, I took the risk and it did not pay off. That is not the games fault.
4 Jul 2020, 10:00 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Hey guys, wondering how you deal with bad RNG and prevent it from causing tilt and what you do to either prevent burnout or help with burnout and lacking the desire to play the game anymore. Deep down I still love the game but I just can't conjure the same feelings I used to have for it these days. Any suggestions?

Quit the game, play 1-2 weeks another game and then come back. This is the best way to do. Since we all love coh2 and will always come to this game. Its a drug^^
And yes playing premade helps alot vs this random bullshit.
4 Jul 2020, 11:16 AM

Snip.

Play 3v3, it’s much better and people drop much less frequently.
4 Jul 2020, 18:46 PM

4v4 puts computers under most strain and also has the most "casuals" playing, who potentially don't have as high spec PCs, so combined equals more big splats.. plus more players obviously ups the odds on its own.

RNG, good players will minimise it, and react accordingly when it hampers them, and will capitalize when it works in their favour.

Bad players will always hope for the best, the cry if it doesn't go in their favour. Tanks diving is always super risky, the game is designed like that.
4 Jul 2020, 18:53 PM

high level players cry about rng in the same manner as we all do. seen enough orange pest to know that
4 Jul 2020, 19:20 PM

Here is my experience in 95% of the games I have played:
- Enemy mortar is wiping my squads on the move with no vision. My mortar cant kill an MG that has never moved all game long.
- My LeFH kills next to nothing all game long. If it does enough damage to get to vet 1, I will finally get kills on counter barrage. Enemy LeFH chases my units around the map killing them on the move.
- I throw a grenade on a squad, no damage. Maybe get one model dropped. If I see a squad moving towards me in a manner that looks like they MAY throw a grenade, I retreat... and lose 4-5 models every time. It makes no difference if I move, am in green cover, etc. 4-5 models every time.
- My AT guns and tank destroyers miss/bounce the first shot 98% of the time. Enemy pens every shot, every time. Usually from outside the fog of war.
- If I have a squad below 90% health and I retreat it, it is dead. It will not make it. Enemy can be at 30% health and just soft retreat away from me and take no damage.
- My team weapons get flanked they are dead in under 2 seconds. I flank an mg or mortar and my elite inf dies to the support team??? Seriously WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK RELIC moments. Uninstall follows.
- If I click on an enemy squad to focus fire on that squad, my units stop shooting and wonder towards the enemy like they are blind and cant see the enemy. Even if they are 3 meters away. They just stand there like...derp. This happens about 30% of the time.
- MGs, Tanks, AT guns: Enemy is standing right in front of my units clearly in range but my units wont shoot at them. If I click the enemy then my units start shooting. This is REALLY bad with Raketens I have had vehicles park right in front of them and never take a shot. Entire blobs walk right thru my MG arc and it never shoots.

I could go on all day long. Just ask Sturmpanther :P I have driven him to drink and ruined his life with my vitriol.

The only logical conclusion I have for most of these issues is server lag.

For example, the server decides your units are dead way before it actually happens. This was very apparent in vCOH, better in COH2. So on my screen I am moving units to safety all the time, but the ordinates FOLLOW my units around and kill them outside of arcs/cones etc. Ask Luciano how this feels and reference Angoville. Where arty followed his units around the base killing all of them.

If I hear "GRENADE!!!!" on my speakers, it was thrown and has already landed on me on the server. But I have successfully dodged it on my screen Boom. Squad gone.

So for me, moving units around and blowing stuff up is the ONLY fun part of Coh2. The rest of it sucks goat ass and makes this the worst game in the world. I gave up on ever winning games two years ago. For me, playing 1v1 would be evidence that I needed to be sent to a mental facility.
4 Jul 2020, 19:25 PM

wall of text

so in short, homing missiles exist.
thanks
we finally sorted things out

myself and other people said it houndreds of times over the last couple of years: if RNG decides to kill your units, it will bend reality to do so
The response: "reeeeeeeeeeeee thats not how scatter workds reeeeeeeeeeeeee"
4 Jul 2020, 19:27 PM

Play 3v3, it’s much better and people drop much less frequently.

I appreciate the help. But my goal is not to play anymore. Just try to make the game better for the people who do play. Thus, make maps, wrote MakoCELO, and play as RestartCoh2EveryGame. And maybe the mod tools are next? I am poor, but still try to donate to tourneys etc.

Since my RNG is so bad, I have no idea about balance. Because to me all of my units have a 0-30% of winning against any enemy. But from experience I will chime in that OKW sucks in 4v4. No smoke, no mortar, no snares, no MGs = gg against any good opponent.

Like I always say 85% of COH2 is the best game ever made by far, and 15% is the absolute worst game ever made.
4 Jul 2020, 19:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2020, 19:25 PMBaba

so in short, homing missiles exist.
thanks
we finally sorted things out

myself and other people said it houndreds of times over the last couple of years: if RNG decides to kill your units, it will bend reality to do so
The response: "reeeeeeeeeeeee thats not how scatter workds reeeeeeeeeeeeee"

LUL Yes I agree with the idea if the server has decided, you are done. Your shit is dead. Play vCOH and watch the projectile paths veering, turning, going up and down following the terrain. If it rolls the dice and you are dead, you are dead. The plays you do to avoid or minimize the damage are irrelevant.

I can even predict when it starts to happen. Right in the middle of a match, your units just stop being effective. And I have said 100 times on streams..."Uh oh, we are done. This is over" when I notice that shift begin. And about 85% the time, the game is over very soon after. That is not random or lucky guessing.

In 4v4, you can hope your mates are doing OK and you may come out of it. But in a 1v1 scenario, your army will lose too much to ever come back. GG.
4 Jul 2020, 19:40 PM

I hope people dont see my posts as complaining. My point is not all players have the same experience. And to maybe help figure out what the cause of that is by talking about it. So L2P is funny and all, it does not help the other players out there with similar experiences.

Because I want to have a good fun community playing the game I love. And if people are deleting the game for these reaons, that is not good.
4 Jul 2020, 19:49 PM

I hope people dont see my posts as complaining. My point is not all players have the same experience. And to maybe help figure out what the cause of that is by talking about it. So L2P is funny and all, it does not help the other players out there with similar experiences.

Because I want to have a good fun community playing the game I love. And if people are deleting the game for these reaons, that is not good.

My humble opinion is that you'd get a much better experience in smaller modes.
4 Jul 2020, 20:35 PM

My humble opinion is that you'd get a much better experience in smaller modes.

i think that was never in question but people feel more comfortable hiding behind 3 other players. takes some pressure off their own shoulders
4 Jul 2020, 21:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2020, 20:35 PMBaba
i think that was never in question but people feel more comfortable hiding behind 3 other players. takes some pressure off their own shoulders

HOW TO MITIGATE RNG FROM THE GAME

Sorry guys, but we are getting off topic. The main post was about coping with RNG. I was just laying out some RNG scenarios to help nail down what it is that is frustrating and can it be fixed.

For my troubles I feel server lag causes many issues, so in the past I have tried different network things like Wifi, hard wired etc. I used to get better results by making my phone a WiFi hotspot to see if I can get a better server time from my phone carrier versus my internet provider. But the last time I tried that, it was just as bad as my provider.

For me personally I go into each game knowing I will get screwed and will lose. So I just try to enjoy the little moments. And of course the few times you play with a random team and it all goes right and everyone is having fun is a big payoff for me.

I also tend go full VonIvan and just keep saying "I like Pizza" in my head as I play.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS