Login

russian armor

Partisan Tactics commander

• This thread is locked
14 Nov 2013, 10:35 AM

Admits all the complaining about p2w commanders, I would like to take a moment to thank Relic for doing an excellent job on the Partisan Tactics commander. The Partisan Tactics commander has a clear theme of using espionage and sabotage to gain victory, rather than relying on the might of Soviet heavy armor and artillery. The strengths and weaknesses of the commander are very nicely balanced and the commander allows for some nice novel play styles.

Having said that, I feel the Partisans could use a little extra to enhance their role as saboteurs and behind-the-lines ambush units. Currently, after their initial deployment, they will soon join the main army, where they don't really have much of a role. Therefore, I have a few ideas to enhance their utility for their designed roles.

First, the partisans, masters of sabotage, lack the ability to place demo charges. I feel like the demo charge fits the partisans theme extremely well, and it's a bit of a shame that they have no access to them. Second, partisans knew the lay of the land, and would know which places were best suited for ambushing unsuspecting German units from good hiding spots. This is already represented in-game by the deployment mechanism, but I feel this theme could be enhanced by giving the partisans the ability to use ambush camouflage. These abilities could either be given for free from the get-go, be unlocked via veterancy, or be bought with munitions upgrades.

What are your thoughts for these ideas?

14 Nov 2013, 11:24 AM

These are some great ideas. I don't remember the mp cost for the partisan call ins but maybe the cost would also have to be increased.
14 Nov 2013, 11:41 AM
Developer Relic Badge
Donator 11

Very good points, I would like to see them being able to plant demo charges as vet1 ability and getting the ambush ability at vet3. :)
14 Nov 2013, 12:21 PM

Very good points, I would like to see them being able to plant demo charges as vet1 ability and getting the ambush ability at vet3. :)

That would be a great way to implement it.
14 Nov 2013, 12:28 PM

Permanently Banned
Dunno, they seem to work fine from what Ive seen in conjunction with Con and CE support.
Additional abilities would be OTT imo.
14 Nov 2013, 13:01 PM

Demo charges would be a bit too much for a fighting unit that pops up anywhere, even if it was a vet ability. If anyone has seen a player using demo to good effect, like Stephen, it's horrifying the way you can almost guarantee squad wipes with good use of them.

The reason why it's on engineers is that if you see them in an area, you start feeling cautious about mines and demo.
14 Nov 2013, 13:41 PM

my partisans come out from my side of the map. i call them the free partisans. LOL!
Hux
14 Nov 2013, 14:53 PM
Patrion 14

They should at least get the trip-wire flares, being able to place them and then retreat would be concurrent with the entire commanders abilities which revolve around knowing where the enemy is.
14 Nov 2013, 15:01 PM

how strong are the partisans? They seem to be like 4 man conscript squads, but with lmg
14 Nov 2013, 15:12 PM

how strong are the partisans? They seem to be like 4 man conscript squads, but with lmg

Normal partisans are 160mp(20mp reinforce) 4 man squads equipped with either:
- 4x SVT rifles
- 3x Kar98 rifle + 1x lmg42
- 4x ppsh41

They seem to have weaker stats than conscripts, as they die very fast. They do however have a 40 munitions upgrade that gives them a defensive buff, which appears to make slightly more survivable as conscripts. I don't have the numbers though so I could be wrong.
Normal partisans can build mines and barbed wire, and can throw molotovs after HQ research. Vet 1 gives them trip wire flares. They can't cap points, but can decap them.

Anti-tank partisans are 240mp(30 reinforce) 4 man squads equipped with either:
1: 1x panzerschreck + 3x rifles (not sure if mosin nagant or kar98)
2: 3x PTRS anti tank rifle + 1x normal rifle

These AT partisans also seem to start out weaker than conscripts but can buff their survivalibility with a 60 munition upgrade.
The AT partisans can throw AT nades after the HQ upgrade, and just like the normal partisans, can build mines, barbed wire and trip flares. They also can't cap points, only decap.
14 Nov 2013, 17:46 PM

I think partisans are perfect the way they are now. If you want sabatage they can still place mines. I had a team game last night where my teammate built a little partisan army behind my enemies line and built a big mine field. When the player tried to send troops up they hit the mines and got ambushed by the partisans. It was glorious!
14 Nov 2013, 17:48 PM

Normal partisans are 160mp(20mp reinforce) 4 man squads equipped with either:
- 4x SVT rifles
- 3x Kar98 rifle + 1x lmg42
- 4x ppsh41

They seem to have weaker stats than conscripts, as they die very fast. They do however have a 40 munitions upgrade that gives them a defensive buff, which appears to make slightly more survivable as conscripts. I don't have the numbers though so I could be wrong.
Normal partisans can build mines and barbed wire, and can throw molotovs after HQ research. Vet 1 gives them trip wire flares. They can't cap points, but can decap them.

Anti-tank partisans are 240mp(30 reinforce) 4 man squads equipped with either:
1: 1x panzerschreck + 3x rifles (not sure if mosin nagant or kar98)
2: 3x PTRS anti tank rifle + 1x normal rifle

These AT partisans also seem to start out weaker than conscripts but can buff their survivalibility with a 60 munition upgrade.
The AT partisans can throw AT nades after the HQ upgrade, and just like the normal partisans, can build mines, barbed wire and trip flares. They also can't cap points, only decap.

By the way, I learned that Irregulars are not the same thing as partisans. Irregulars come from the TOW commander. They can't come out of buildings and are a normal call in, but they have a regular grenade and at-nade.

21 Jan 2014, 17:54 PM

Partisans are a bit weak. Would it be to OP if they could merge? That would make them a lot stronger i guess, giving the merged partisans consc-armour.
22 Jan 2014, 02:03 AM

These are some great ideas. I don't remember the mp cost for the partisan call ins but maybe the cost would also have to be increased.

I think it was 120 for basic, 240 for AT.

Very weak. They have good weapons, better than Conscripts, but survivability-wise (per-model) they're on-par with Osttruppen at best.

Personally I want an ability to refund partisans at the cost-per model, you'd get the reinforcement cost back. That way you can call in more from another place to continue behind the lines work. The problem with Partisans for me, was that as said above, once retreated, they just require an upgrade and then become part of your Army, since there's not a lot they can do behind the lines, let alone get there.
22 Jan 2014, 13:48 PM

As said before 160 for basic

For Irregular, they cost 320, are as strong as upgrade partisan (so not a lot) bur their grenade is very strong (i have won a 1v1 against PG with that). They not really worth the price !
22 Jan 2014, 13:53 PM

I have never found irregulars to be worth it. They have a small squad size, are quite expensive, and you never know exactly what weapons they will have.

After playing quite a bit with partisans on the free weekend I am also struggling to understand how to use them. They are hard to integrate into an army because of their low health even after upgrades, and often end up standing around my HQ all game. They also take out a lot of mp when you start to call them in, and leave you with effectively no units. The commander is not bad per se, I just don't know how to use it effectively.
22 Jan 2014, 15:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I have never found irregulars to be worth it. They have a small squad size, are quite expensive, and you never know exactly what weapons they will have.

After playing quite a bit with partisans on the free weekend I am also struggling to understand how to use them. They are hard to integrate into an army because of their low health even after upgrades, and often end up standing around my HQ all game. They also take out a lot of mp when you start to call them in, and leave you with effectively no units. The commander is not bad per se, I just don't know how to use it effectively.

I use them also during the free weekend almost exclusively on Semois. Harass, harass, swarm your enemy.
Best situation for using them was when i heard from the Radio intercept that they deploys support weapons. Early game, any MG shouldnt be a problem.
Mid to late game they are either pushing behind Cons or just harassing enemy territory. If alone, inmedialy retreat.
Also, people should remember to deploy mines with them.
22 Jan 2014, 15:39 PM

I think the best way to use them is to supplement your regular units. Their advantage over conscripts is that they have good weapons (Ironic, I know), so 1 conscript squad + 1 irregular is fine.

I find them too weak (probably half health, like osttruppen) to fight German troops on their own. You can also ambush tanks and light vehicles with a suicidal partisan tank hunter.
23 Jan 2014, 04:14 AM
Patrion 27

The synergy of Radio Intercept and Spy Network means you will know EXACTLY where and when units are entering the field. Even seeing the opponent go MG42 first and which side of their base it spawns can be a great tell for you to just go cap the other side of the map. Sadly intercept doesn't currently show or announce call-ins which is a total bummer.

Partisans benefit from the "Battlefield Menace" bulletin decreasing the build time of barbed wire and TM-35 mines by 10%.

I feel like the ideal way to utilize them is in support of fully upgraded Conscripts since partisans use Molotovs and Sticky nades.

Finally, I am completely baffled as to why Partisans spawn from a building and immediately exit said building. Spawn in the building dangit!
23 Jan 2014, 05:58 AM

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment