Login

russian armor

Small efficiencies in north spawn camera rotation

A_E
22 May 2020, 11:59 AM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

CoH Theory: there are small efficiencies to be found in north spawn camera rotation and making west vs. east maps.

Please actually watch the 9 minute video in full before contradicting the merits of the recommendation.
22 May 2020, 12:19 PM

I like that tac map rotation tip. I'll have to give that a go.
22 May 2020, 12:38 PM

I thought this was obvious? the camera rotation should start flipped by default when you're in the north.

and on east vs west maps, the default camera should be west facing if you're in east, and east facing if you're in the west.

Other RTs's have default camera positions that change like this, total war to name one.

I always turn my camera that way at game start anyway, all my friends do too. I thought everyone did? The current north-always camera default has been annoying since game launch, was it just us?

Different orientations for different teams doesn't matter because they're not communicating anyway

Having a camera orientation which points into enemy territory give the most breadth of view across your front line and the most depth into the enemy's to see long-ranged units firing at you. If your camera is the other way you are partially blinded.
A_E
22 May 2020, 12:53 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 12:38 PMTomDRV
I thought this was obvious? the camera rotation should start flipped by default when you're in the north.

and on east vs west maps, the default camera should be west facing if you're in east, and east facing if you're in the west.

Other RTs's have default camera positions that change like this, total war to name one.

I always turn my camera that way at game start anyway, all my friends do too. I thought everyone did? The current north-always camera default has been annoying since game launch, was it just us?

Different orientations for different teams doesn't matter because they're not communicating anyway

Having a camera orientation which points into enemy territory give the most breadth of view across your front line and the most depth into the enemy's to see long-ranged units firing at you. If your camera is the other way you are partially blinded.

I was getting mocked on a twitch stream earlier today, made me think it wasn't as obvious as I assumed so thought I'd make this video to clarify the logic.
22 May 2020, 12:55 PM

I tried to do that and kinda forgot one could turn the angle when using the tactical map. So i never got a good angle and stopped.

Will definetly try that sooner or later!
22 May 2020, 13:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 12:53 PMA_E

I was getting mocked on a twitch stream earlier today, made me think it wasn't as obvious as I assumed so thought I'd make this video to clarify the logic.

Well some people seem to like to troll regardless if they right or wrong.

Nice thread by the way.
22 May 2020, 13:07 PM

actually i never turned the map Becouse i found the angle very hard to get, thanks for the tip turning it with tac map, that way you can keep the angle you are used to. I will definetly try it out
22 May 2020, 13:11 PM

actually i never turned the map Becouse i found the angle very hard to get, thanks for the tip turning it with tac map, that way you can keep the angle you are used to. I will definetly try it out

You probably know this but you can also reset the pitch angle by hitting backspace just once.

Personally I can't be bothered with rotating the map, because you have to re-do it every time that you want to rotate the map for some other purpose, such as wiring off the doors of buildings.
A_E
22 May 2020, 13:16 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 13:11 PMsuora

You probably know this but you can also reset the pitch angle by hitting backspace just once.

Personally I can't be bothered with rotating the map, because you have to re-do it every time that you want to rotate the map for some other purpose, such as wiring off the doors of buildings.

Great point but max how many times is this per game are we talking 3 maybe? 2 door wires and a demo check let's say?

So three times you'd have to go to tac map and quickly manoeuvre to your preferred angle?

Still seems worth it imo.
22 May 2020, 13:37 PM

i find that low level players tend to rotate their camera angle, whereas high level players dont usually do that, to keep it consistent
22 May 2020, 13:41 PM

I prefer to lower the angle because as you explained it opens the vision angle. The only trouble with that is tall trees that mask some portion of the field.

I miss a lot less action with that. (and turning the camera ofcourse)
A_E
22 May 2020, 13:45 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

i find that low level players tend to rotate their camera angle, whereas high level players dont usually do that, to keep it consistent

I find that not many people do really, in similar ratios. Notable top players are Jove and Bulat one an all time great, and the other a top 20 player (both Russian).
A_E
22 May 2020, 13:46 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 13:41 PMEsxile
I prefer to lower the angle because as you explained it opens the vision angle. The only trouble with that is tall trees that mask some portion of the field.

I miss a lot less action with that. (and turning the camera ofcourse)

This is so important for casting 2v2 both me and tightrope do this.
22 May 2020, 14:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 12:53 PMA_E

I don't think anyone can be accused of being at fault for not recognising it, it's it's hard to pick up on if someone hasn't played many RTS games, but if you have it glares you in the face. Mechanics like I mentioned should be a given for any RTS game, along with, in my opinion, full-map zoom outs like in Wargame & steel division. There's no gameplay reason to restrict a player's view, it just makes it harder to absorb information.

That players have to consciously adjust in COH2 is a failure in ui design.

Actually the whole COH2 ui is pretty bad, so much dead space.

P.S I have a 1920x1080 display, my hud scale adjustment it locked on max, how do I reduce it?
22 May 2020, 14:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 14:07 PMTomDRV

I don't think anyone can be accused of being at fault for not recognising it, it's it's hard to pick up on if someone hasn't played many RTS games, but if you have it glares you in the face. Mechanics like I mentioned should be a given for any RTS game, along with, in my opinion, full-map zoom outs like in Wargame & steel division. There's no gameplay reason to restrict a player's view, it just makes it harder to absorb information.

That players have to consciously adjust in COH2 is a failure in ui design.

It depends on the type of game and how they are designed. The titles you mention are less RTS and more RTT (with CoH been a mix).

Take SC, C&C, AoE or WC*. You don't need to rotate the camera cause what you can see in the screen is already aligned to a square/rectangle. In WC3 you can zoom in, but that's only helpful for when there are enough units on top of each other (specially fliers) that you need to give a specific command and is the one who has the closest relation with CoH in regards unit preservation.
Try to do the same in CoH and you realise how small the vision is, on top of the game not been designed to work in that way.
22 May 2020, 15:05 PM

I've always rotated my camera angle but being a team game guy when people saying east/west/north/south I usually have to tell them to just blip the map
22 May 2020, 15:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

My experience from checking camera angles on replays is that most people (at least at my level) do not rotate the camera and use the default one instead.
22 May 2020, 17:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 May 2020, 13:16 PMA_E

Great point but max how many times is this per game are we talking 3 maybe? 2 door wires and a demo check let's say?

So three times you'd have to go to tac map and quickly manoeuvre to your preferred angle?

Still seems worth it imo.

Thanks! I usually rotate, but it's annoying to have to try to find the right elevation angle. It's much easier to do it with the Tac map.

IMO, moving units into the position you want is easier if you rotate your views. It's really annoying when you try to tell your units to get behind a wall and use the green cover, but you click a pixel too far and they vault instead.
22 May 2020, 17:35 PM

You can also rotate and press backspace once (instead of twice) same effect as rotating in tacmap.
22 May 2020, 18:12 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I've always rotated the camera, and when I used to stream people would complain about it all the time.

Streamers and casters stick with the standard because it keeps things consistent across different maps and spawns. I'd bet more people actually rotate the camera when they are playing in private, you just don't see it.

For me atleast it has always been about pushing towards the enemy. It feels a lot more natural to me to be making forward progress across the map. In CoH it also makes it much easier to put your units into cover, which is usually facing the enemy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★