Login

russian armor

Plane crash

16 Apr 2020, 09:54 AM

Hi, this mechanic that has been around for some time made anyone lose a few games. Randomly, some of your infantry squads are brutally wiped, sometimes on your base where you can lose 3/4 teams, other times on the field. Removing the damage done by these planes when they fall could be a good improvement. It really doesn't make any sense to be punished for shooting down a plane.
16 Apr 2020, 09:56 AM

You should have seen how much planes crashes did at launch. They could easily wipe an entire army.
16 Apr 2020, 09:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2020, 09:56 AMVipper
You should have seen how much planes crashes did at launch. They could easily wipe an entire army.
Wow, it must have been a pleasure to play.
16 Apr 2020, 10:01 AM

Yes it was good for randomness. Every matches will turn out differently

But i found plane crashes too often in your base while you are healing. Not sure if that is a bug.
16 Apr 2020, 10:04 AM

It kinda was,the game was full of random broken stuff. Like back then tanks reduced to 0 HP would roll a crit instead of always dying. So you could have a 0HP tank that would survive 4 more penetrating shots due to lucky crit roles.
16 Apr 2020, 10:17 AM

it should only do like 40 damage lmao, just for the occassional low health sniper wipe clips.
16 Apr 2020, 10:32 AM

People complain about RNG in the game. But I always liked CoH2 precisely because of this: An abandoned tank around which a desperate battle begins, over the possession of this tank. A plane crash, even if sometimes they work against you, but it's damn fun, Blizzard - which gave a tactical respite or a great chance for a tank attack. All these things made CoH2 truly unique and different of similar RTS. These things made the game more lively and exciting. And personally for me it is a pity that the game in most cases has lost such mechanics and cut all these things to a minimum that made the game more bland and boring.
16 Apr 2020, 10:37 AM

People complain about RNG in the game. But I always liked CoH2 precisely because of this: An abandoned tank around which a desperate battle begins, over the possession of this tank. A plane crash, even if sometimes they work against you, but it's damn fun, Blizzard - which gave a tactical respite or a great chance for a tank attack. All these things made CoH2 truly unique and different of similar RTS. These things made the game more lively and exciting. And personally for me it is a pity that the game in most cases has lost such mechanics and cut all these things to a minimum that made the game more bland and boring.
I can understand that you like it, but it is still an RTS and you have to reward some choices. Most of the coh2 rng elements can be partially controlled, from artillery, to bounces on tanks where you can decide whether to withdraw or not, or take a deep dive where there is a risk of an abandoned tank. But planes are not funny at all, they have no affinity for the concept within the game. It is a completely random event that punishes you for having a counter.
16 Apr 2020, 10:44 AM

16 Apr 2020, 10:47 AM

I can understand that you like it, but it is still an RTS and you have to reward some choices. Most of the coh2 rng elements can be partially controlled, from artillery, to bounces on tanks where you can decide whether to withdraw or not, or take a deep dive where there is a risk of an abandoned tank. But planes are not funny at all, they have no affinity for the concept within the game. It is a completely random event that punishes you for having a counter.

I understand your position, but could a downed plane get into a warehouse with ammunition, barracks, etc.? Absolutely and therefore I really like that this could happen in the game, making it closer to reality, and it is really amazing that the game can do this. I never worried about RGN in the game, because in life we also cannot influence many things. For me, the main thing is to have fun playing and early CoH2 really gave me a ton of fun, despite the RNG and a terrible balance.
16 Apr 2020, 11:00 AM

I understand your position, but could a downed plane get into a warehouse with ammunition, barracks, etc.? Absolutely and therefore I really like that this could happen in the game, making it closer to reality, and it is really amazing that the game can do this. I never worried about RGN in the game, because in life we also cannot influence many things. For me, the main thing is to have fun playing and early CoH2 really gave me a ton of fun, despite the RNG and a terrible balance.
It would have been fine if it were a WW2 simulator, but it is an RTS game, and is constantly balanced to ensure that there is a fair fight between each faction. This at the expense of realism because it is not a simulator, and if you analyze the state well, you will see that there is very little realism. It must not be just fun, this game has a competitive aspect, otherwise tournaments and ranks (for what they are worth), what are there to do?
16 Apr 2020, 11:08 AM

It would have been fine if it were a WW2 simulator, but it is an RTS game, and is constantly balanced to ensure that there is a fair fight between each faction. This at the expense of realism because it is not a simulator, and if you analyze the state well, you will see that there is very little realism. It must not be just fun, this game has a competitive aspect, otherwise tournaments and ranks (for what they are worth), what are there to do?

To be honest, I always did not care about E-sports, tournaments, ranks, etc. All I need from the game is to get fun from the game and have fun with friends.
16 Apr 2020, 11:10 AM

To be honest, I always did not care about E-sports, tournaments, ranks, etc. All I need from the game is to get fun from the game and have fun with friends.

But this is the balance section, so here he writes who is interested in this.
16 Apr 2020, 12:14 PM

Literally one of the biggest competitive advantages COH2 has is RNG, it makes watching the game far more interesting because interesting things happen and you have to make plays based on that. Do you get that penetrating shot to get the tank low enough to make the dive to finish the tank?

The thing about RNG is it always comes full circle, you might get unlucky at the start of the game but eventually, the tide will turn. Might even be the next game, the RNG gods are fair.
16 Apr 2020, 13:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Apr 2020, 10:44 AMVipper
Rng is good but not at this level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2JnVRJCGps&feature=emb_logo

Clearly outplayed! Ost player just needed to practice more

KappaClaus

Anyway, I hope in CoH3 we get the plane crash site indicated with a plane shadow like 5 secs b4 it falls so there is both RNG and counterplay potential at once
16 Apr 2020, 17:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

As others have said, you should had seen what planes used to do before.

For most cases, extreme cases of RNG had been dealt with with only a few exceptions been left which still don't make sense to this day (hello ram).

The whole concept of RNG is not about removing it completely, it's about not rewarding or punishing a player for absolutely no reason at all.

As seeing that GeneralsGentlemen just released a vid recently, you could check his POV on the subject from back then in 2016 when it was partially toned down but still there (example mines).

But this is the balance section, so here he writes who is interested in this.

There are 2 extremely good videos on the subject. There's an old vid from Richard Garfield (Magic The Gathering creator) on luck vs skill. It's a bit longer and "boring" but a more approachable source is this one:

TL;DW: translated from fighting game to CoH2, some people want the game direction to be towards a "party game". Who wins doesn't matter based on who plays better. Others prefer the whole "competitive" vibe.
So in a scale of luck vs skill you have low skill low luck (tic tac toe), low skill high luck (bingo), high skill low luck (Chess), high skill high luck (poker). Different persons want the game to go towards different regions on this chart.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★