Login

russian armor

Bayeux and Novgorod Outskirts ruin 1v1

19 Dec 2019, 00:44 AM

Gimmicks and unbalance.

Take a look at Bayeux South spawn for example, both of the VP's (north and south) are behind a hedge and the north point, if you are coming at it from the south has 3 tiny funnels to access it... The hell is that all about?

Cut-offs are in stupid places aswell, look at the majority of the great maps, the cut-offs are directly outside the enemy base, you have to do well to get to it or at least, risk something. With the majority of maps we seem to be getting now the cut-offs are practicaly in the middle of the map.

Even Crossroads winter, granted I've only played it once so I can't fully judge it (and it was the biggest mindfuck when I realised Ive been protecting my munitions and not my fuel for 15 mins) but even that falls victim to the placing cut-offs in the middle of the map trend.

Sight blockers seem to be another overdone feature in the new maps, nexus middle, its the best part but north and south is just a maze of sight blockers.

Langres is an amazing map, its the perfect size for a 1v1, no half marathon back to base, no BS sight blockers in stupid places, no easy to attack hard to defend cut-offs.
19 Dec 2019, 00:49 AM

Nice work Latch! Thanks for the feedback.
19 Dec 2019, 00:55 AM

Watched it, no clue what I’m supposed to see here.
19 Dec 2019, 00:57 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

In no way is this an excuse for abominations like Westwall, Arnhem, Stalingrad and Lost Glider.

A good example of an alternative map is Rachnaya Pereprava. Good cutoffs, action everywhere, distinctive engagement areas and no garrisons on cutoff points.

"An alternative map is Rechnaya" and the inspiration is literally xroads from sid around 1 minute.

So is xroads an alternative map? Cause the maps play really similar. Just looks a bit different with the middle VP being a bit more difficult to play around due to pathing around it.

I don't want to derail, but I'm curious of what you think is alternative about it, tbh.
19 Dec 2019, 00:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2019, 22:41 PMTric

I have tried multiple ways to accomplish this
-Map contest with Judges from varying backgrounds
-Map contest with private submission and community voting
-Tournament with maps designed with top tournament players

And all have their weakness and strengths, and their own varied failures and successes.

19 Dec 2019, 01:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2019, 00:57 AMTric

"An alternative map is Rechnaya" and the inspiration is literally xroads from sid around 1 minute.

So is xroads an alternative map? Cause the maps play really similar. Just looks a bit different with the middle VP being a bit more difficult to play around due to pathing around it.

I don't want to derail, but I'm curious of what you think is alternative about it, tbh.

I thought the huge negative cover river and road sections, with massive cutoffs next to the base entrance and a wide open middle with lots of negative cover were pretty obvious.

Despite it all, it actually works great, a shining example of an alternative map that works.
19 Dec 2019, 01:17 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

I thought the huge negative cover river and road sections, with massive cutoffs next to the base entrance and a wide open middle with lots of negative cover were pretty obvious.

Despite it all, it actually works great, a shining example of an alternative map that works.

You do know that the roads on xroads give negative cover right? and the river intersecting te road... like the roads do, is literally the same negative cover besides the recently removed negative cover outside of the bases on xroads?

19 Dec 2019, 02:55 AM

Permanently Banned
The only bad 1v1 map is Nexus. Not only does Nexus have too many walls, but the train stuff serve as shotblockers though not sightblockers. The elevated concrete platform is also a terrible addition to CoH2, and I hope it'll be removed from Rails & Metal as well. If that wasn't enough theres still little bushes that have no use but to harass the lines of fire for support weapons. If you want a sight and/or shotblocker, make the length of the obstruction somewhat more measurable. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a tank dart behind a tiny piece of hedgerow that looks like it can't cover the tank fully but somewhat the at gun refuses to shoot.

Bayeux is a reasonable map for the most part. Don't hate on Arnhem. It's only a slugfest in the center of the map if you allow it to be since the resources aren't in the center. Lost Glider is also a reasonable CQC map that requires some particular doctrines to use the terrain to one's advantage.
19 Dec 2019, 05:46 AM

You are wrong!
There we go:

Map X is bad because I lost on it

Please remove map X

:rofl:

No!

Map X is bad because it isn’t map Y, which I win on

Make map X map Y
19 Dec 2019, 09:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2019, 01:17 AMTric

You do know that the roads on xroads give negative cover right? and the river intersecting te road... like the roads do, is literally the same negative cover besides the recently removed negative cover outside of the bases on xroads?

Except the horizontal road has no hedges/garrisons to hide behind like crossroads and the river is isolated by sight blockers and isn’t a main venue but a side one.
19 Dec 2019, 10:33 AM

I have nothing to say about Novgorod outskirts yet, but I already banned Bayeux and it's probably staying this way when im play ostheer or ukf in 1vs1. Bayeux is quite a large map with lots of sight blockers with numerous tight alleys from where to either flank or fight close combat, so playing on that map with the more defensive factions feels especially horrible, okw and usf and to an extent soviets do not really have any problems with it since okw has sturms/volks with stgs and usf got riflemens. As for soviets they don't really have any close range unit in their basic roster but cons are not too bad at close and they don't need cover to be relevant. Also I feel the middle part of the map pretty hard to handle even with mgs because of all the flanking options, not to mention red cover which makes things even worse. I just wish we could have set bans so we don't have to veto all the maps every time we change modes/factions. Kind of like a thing similar to the commanders loadout option to make presets, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
19 Dec 2019, 10:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2019, 14:24 PMTric
If i were to remove any maps, it would be arnhem, angoville, and lost gilder.

It is far to early for bayeux or novogrod to be removed as they havent even been given time for them to be improved on.

I am not a fan of Bayeux, and I can explain later on why, as it might be helpful for spanky. Novogrod, seems pretty standard, but in truth i haven't played it yet, so i will withhold talking about it as I dont really have any experience on it.

I don't really know why so many people hate lost glider I think it's quite nice when you get your first medium tank then you open up the map crushing all the walls around the middle, but yeah arhem is still after the changes one of the worst map in the pool and arhem used to be fine for me before the latest changes and it was not a map I was vetoing. With the relocalization of the house near the middle of the map at the south spawn however it makes the northern spawn much easier to win from as you can jump in and out of that house if it's not wired. What do you dislike so much about Lost Glider ? I agree that arhem and angoville feels pretty bad to play on.
19 Dec 2019, 10:46 AM

I think he was too lazy to provide his own feedback and left the job to us to clarify his point lol.
A_E
19 Dec 2019, 11:01 AM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Dec 2019, 23:22 PMTric

I've no interest in he said she said, like I said, the things I've stated above (while you largely glossed over much of what I said) happened.

A lot of what you state happens doesn't actually happen or never happened. Your recollection of events is famously overly dramatic.

The maps you see as part of 2016-2017 were either voted in by the map contest judges/relic, voted in by the community/relic, voted on by judges, community and relic, or put in rotation when they weren't supposed to be. :) Which is why I said above what I said, whose voice gets listened too?

You made a lot of overly exploratory artistically led maps, I understand these processes haven't been kind to map makers especially from the uploading side, but you certainly put yourself at risk of criticism with your less than safe approach to overall design in that time period.

I did do it actually. Still bugged, entire move and reupload and it was still broken when it was reuploaded by Relic. Why I talked recently about map IDs, might be a culprit for the UI issues.

That's shit to hear, very unfortunate!
19 Dec 2019, 11:56 AM

and so on this day, and in this thread,
a couple o' days before jesus shared the bread
the mapmakers joined together and rejoiced
see, the feedback was no longer left unvoiced
this artmaking process that could have been a livelihood
'thus far they'd accomplished much that few understood
there was only one thing to keep the game from ending up dead
and it only existed inside tric's, wfr's and wuffyas head
'twas the one thing that could light up james' old shed
A_E
19 Dec 2019, 13:58 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2019, 00:44 AMLatch
Langres is an amazing map, its the perfect size for a 1v1, no half marathon back to base, no BS sight blockers in stupid places, no easy to attack hard to defend cut-offs.

Aren't you a Brits only player, you just basically tore apart the maps that benefit the factions that thrive on mobility and touted the best map for static range based play....

https://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198121057184

There are so many people that comment on 1v1 maps or balance that have horrendously biased view points but don't clarify their opinions when speaking. Like you know most of your experience comes from playing one faction, yet you don't clarify that?
19 Dec 2019, 14:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Dec 2019, 13:58 PMA_E

Aren't you a Brits only player, you just basically tore apart the maps that benefit the factions that thrive on mobility and touted the best map for static range based play....

https://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198121057184

There are so many people that comment on 1v1 maps or balance that have horrendously biased view points but don't clarify their opinions when speaking. Like you know most of your experience comes from playing one faction, yet you don't clarify that.

The “no easy to attack, hard to defend cutoffs” about Langreskaya pretty much screams he has no clue.
19 Dec 2019, 15:38 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

https://www.coh2.org/forum/128/automatch-maps

You will find the maps here being discussed. Lets try to separate the feedback from the two maps into more streamlined process for the mappers to work these maps for future updates.

19 Dec 2019, 18:07 PM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 27
Germany 634

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak