Login

russian armor

Retreat Received Accuracy To Received Damage

5 Nov 2019, 18:54 PM

Squad wipes are a big deal in this game. Killing a squad, especially early on, can give you a decisive advantage.

To help squads retreat, they get a big boost to Received Accuracy, which means they're harder to hit. Shooting at a retreating squad is effectively rolling dice over and over and hoping you roll two sixes before the squad moves out of range.

This makes whether or not you get a retreat wipe very random.

What if we replaced the Received Accuracy modifier on retreat with a Received Damage modifier?

If you tune it right, the chance to wipe a unit on retreat is pretty much the same, but extreme values are less likely. A unit running a gauntlet of three squads is much less likely to make it through, and a unit running past a lone Combat Engineer on his lunch break is much less likely to get wiped.

In brief, retreat wipes become a lot more about positioning and a lot less about luck.

Thoughts?
5 Nov 2019, 19:07 PM

Would this make vehicle wipes a lot more common? Tank shells missing retreating squads is beneficial rather than reduced damage?
5 Nov 2019, 19:09 PM
Donator 11

Don't fix what's not broken
5 Nov 2019, 19:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Would this make vehicle wipes a lot more common? Tank shells missing retreating squads is beneficial rather than reduced damage?

It would actually be the other way round. It would make wipes by tanks, but also artillery etc less likely.

To make it short: Tanks usually miss >95% of their shots. What matters is their scatter an AoE profile.
5 Nov 2019, 19:30 PM

It'd make wipes by AoE weapons less likely. Received accuracy doesn't apply to explosive damage because explosives don't use the accuracy mechanic.

It kind of is though, especially with snipers. Something that swings the game this hard shouldn't be as random as it currently is.
5 Nov 2019, 19:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2019, 19:30 PMLago
It kind of is though, especially with snipers. Something that swings the game this hard shouldn't be as random as it currently is.

Same level as failing to hit or penetrate a vehicle escaping. This would make snipers guaranteed kills if shot by another sniper.

I don't find the current situation UNFAIR.
5 Nov 2019, 20:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2019, 19:30 PMLago

Wipes punish overextension, or in case of teamgames, it rewards flanking. It is a fundamental concept of the game to wipe enemy squads and is by no means broken or needing improvements in its current state. As for now, you can say with high accuracy if a retreating squad is going to get wiped when you know what's on the retreat route. That's partially because of the large number of shots per model required to kill said model, which relatively brings the RNG down. The larger the volume of fire, the closer the result should be to median. This is exactly why Sander prefers that people perform the test many many times before coming to conclusion. When it comes to aoe damage, I don't see how person running over a grenade or hit by a tank shell should survive, meanwhile it makes sense that running fast while retreating makes it more difficult for the enemy to hit you.

Even if your idea is balanced in a way that maintains more or less same wiping power of infantry vs retreating infantry, I think it would be an unnecessary nerf to tank shells and explosives as they should be punishing. Hitting retreat button should not save you from all threats imho.
5 Nov 2019, 20:30 PM

Even if your idea is balanced in a way that maintains more or less same wiping power of infantry vs retreating infantry, I think it would be an unnecessary nerf to tank shells and explosives as they should be punishing. Hitting retreat button should not save you from all threats imho.

The issue isn't the effectiveness of wipes, it's the inconsistency of wipes. I agree that pulling off a flank should reward you with a good chance to wipe, but the probabilities with the current "huge RA spike" method are all over the place.
5 Nov 2019, 20:43 PM

It would actually be the other way round. It would make wipes by tanks, but also artillery etc less likely.

To make it short: Tanks usually miss >95% of their shots. What matters is their scatter an AoE profile.

Tanks deal 160 damage, arty up to 640.
What kind of dmg reduction you talk about here? 99%?
5 Nov 2019, 20:45 PM

I would suggest a half dmg reduction half received acc boost. Less RNG, but also a little protection against snipers and snipe shots.

I like the idea, a QoL change.

I would add as optional revamp to increase the fordward retreat points, because retreat path is very important and this consistency could lead to exploits.

Another idea i want to stick with the topic would be a "Demoralization aura" that some specific tanks could have (heavies mostly) that will force retreats (like the sturm offizier) when squad models reach 2 or 1.
5 Nov 2019, 20:47 PM

That would only count for dead center shots. But does AoE damage spreads the farther is from the source?
5 Nov 2019, 21:02 PM

That would only count for dead center shots.

Pretty much only these wipe retreating squads.

But does AoE damage spreads the farther is from the source?

It does, but then again, its irrelevant, because T-70 will still do its thing and others will still need direct hits on low count squads(tanks can't really wipe retreating squads that aren't on sliver of health and clumped up).
5 Nov 2019, 21:12 PM

They deal 160 damage in the middle of the blast only.

Damage reductions vs tanks pretty much just amount to making their AoEs effectively smaller.
5 Nov 2019, 21:17 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I fully expect my retreating combat engineers to turn into T-800 terminators at the press of a button. 99% is a good number.

5 Nov 2019, 21:27 PM

snip

Plus, unless you're retreating literally from in front of opponents base on a huge map, the reason for wipes is 99% retreating too late and 1% being actually hit hard by something.

At least that's the experience I have from watching streams as well as my own games.
5 Nov 2019, 21:32 PM

NO SOLDIER SHOULD RETREAT! DIE TO ALL COWARDS. INSTADETH AT THE PUSH OF THE DAMN 'R' BUTTON.

Allright that was pretty dense, but now that i think straight, a dmg reduction would also affect mines on the retreat path. Making them less effective
5 Nov 2019, 21:46 PM

NO SOLDIER SHOULD RETREAT! DIE TO ALL COWARDS. INSTADETH AT THE PUSH OF THE DAMN 'R' BUTTON.

Allright that was pretty dense, but now that i think straight, a dmg reduction would also affect mines on the retreat path. Making them less effective

The end of S-Mines on the retreat path would be no great loss.
5 Nov 2019, 22:04 PM

...Less RNG, but also a little protection against snipers and snipe shots.

Just to clarify.
Snipers do not deal damage they deal critical kills "damage reduction" instead of "chance to miss" would actually make them better at killing retreating infatry.
6 Nov 2019, 20:03 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That could not miss the point any more than it already does
6 Nov 2019, 20:18 PM

A difficult concept for some.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 44
United States 8
unknown 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias