Login

russian armor

Ladders/ rank grinding, tired of it.

17 Oct 2019, 06:22 AM

Yes, I know the rank doesn't directly represent your skill. But, hey, at least it looks cool. I have been trying to grind up to my previous ladder(like about 30 in 4v4) a few weeks ago after a three months break. However, after 20 games, losing 1 and winning the other 19 of them, and keeping the win ratio around 65%, I am still sticking at around rank 100. I know, I have sometimes encountered some very low-rank players( which I do feel bad for them), but still, I don't know how much more I have to grind in order to get back. Jesus, I don't even know in what way I managed to get up to the top 10 once. Anyone is suffering from the same problem. Feel free to share your experience. Just a chill post, please, no arguing here.
(It's tired, not tried. Sorry for the mistyped)
17 Oct 2019, 06:31 AM

rank does actually indicate your skill with like 90% accuracy imo
17 Oct 2019, 06:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Oct 2019, 06:31 AMGiaA
rank does actually indicate your skill with like 90% accuracy imo

Yes, I know, It just looks cool.
17 Oct 2019, 17:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Oct 2019, 06:22 AMHarry
I have been trying to grind up to my previous ladder(like about 30 in 4v4)

Found the problem. :foreveralone:
17 Oct 2019, 17:39 PM

I wonder if the lack of ranking up has to do with playing mostly premade teams that have not reached a high ELO yet? Do you run CELO or check the results later to see if these are teams you are winning against?
17 Oct 2019, 17:44 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

You need to have a better "ELO" than the next person on the ladder inorder to surpass them. It's a hidden value that takes into equation probably w/l ratio, who you've beaten etc.
17 Oct 2019, 18:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Oct 2019, 06:22 AMHarry
I don't even know in what way I managed to get up to the top 10 once.

No one does - 4v4 (random teams) ranking is a mess. Like ShadowLinkX37 said, you only go up in rank when your hidden ELO is higher than the person above you - but you only gain (noticeable) amounts of ELO by beating players equal or higher than you (at least, that's how ELO usually works). The problem is, the skill-range in a single 4v4 match is so massive (rank ~100 and ~1200 in the same game), that you'll almost never gain much ELO.

At least, that's my experience with it. I've been as high as #28 in 4v4, but usually hover around 120. If you want to make progress in ladders, stick to 1v1 or 2v2.
17 Oct 2019, 19:18 PM

I think you just have to play a lot and if you win enough you will get there. It can take a lot of games though and it varies more now than ever though as with a smaller player base it can be harder to have each side filled with 4 good players.

If possible it would be good to play better players to rank up quickly.

The two things that can really slow you down are
1. Allies dropping when your against low skill opponents (big elo loss)
2. Playing against AT who are significantly more skilled than their rank suggests (as in placement)

But you can mitigate that by just spamming more games

All that said it's ephemeral and rank only lasts for the moment, its not worth it if the games aren't fun.
17 Oct 2019, 22:35 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You can get REALLY high ranks within your first 20ish games. Then it gets harder and harder unitl you recach the point on which you have over +500 games on which you are playing at basically the same level/skill but you are slowly grinding the ranking.

The problem with random teamgames is variance. It's part of the nature of the game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★