Login

russian armor

Penals idea

5 Oct 2019, 12:19 PM

Hey everyone,

So the Soviet T1 gets its own stock AT in the form of Penals with AT rifles and the general consensus is that this upgrade is a stopgap which stops being useful after the light vehicle phase, which to me seems like a giant waste to build and vet a 300mp penal squad just for it to be useless. That’s why I was thinking of a solution to this issue and I think I came up with an interesting idea.

So the AT rifles on penals are good early on vs Light Vehicles. My thought was what if they followed a similar route to 7man conscripts where they could buy a side upgrade at T3 and free upgrade at T4 to exchange their homing satchel and at rifles for either lend leased Bazookas or Piats, or stolen German panzershreks? That would make them more traditional AT infantry and make building at rifle penals actually viable, which would help mitigate the soviet T1’s weakness to early LVs.
5 Oct 2019, 12:34 PM

I think a shreck non doc on six man squads with to the last man would be broken to honest.

Current ptrs penals still help su 76/85 and the zis a bunch. They can detter any vehicle from puhing in if they flanked an su85 or zis. They might not be as viable as shrecked pgrens but not a waste imo.
5 Oct 2019, 12:39 PM

Have you ever played against VG blobs with shrecks? this idea would be twice as bad.
5 Oct 2019, 12:40 PM

Hm I disagree. They are still quite useful and chip away at vehicles. They are also a great scarecrow unit, as they have the at satchel. This still makes me on my edge whenever they show up.
5 Oct 2019, 12:43 PM

Maybe for some Doctrine
5 Oct 2019, 13:06 PM

If Shreks are too potent, what about lend leased American bazookas?
5 Oct 2019, 13:14 PM

If Shreks are too potent, what about lend leased American bazookas?

Again having early units with good AI and AT is bad. It would also make guards completely redundant.

Penal are more than fine, they need a redesign and not a buff.
5 Oct 2019, 13:27 PM

Yeah lets go dumpster T2 build...
5 Oct 2019, 14:58 PM

Schreck might be too much, but yeah, the current Penal PTRSes are unbelievable trash, even against LVs
5 Oct 2019, 15:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2019, 13:27 PMJilet
Yeah lets go dumpster T2 build...

Exactly, we don't need more reasons to ignore soviet tier 2
5 Oct 2019, 15:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2019, 13:14 PMVipper

Again having early units with good AI and AT is bad. It would also make guards completely redundant.

Penal are more than fine, they need a redesign and not a buff.

Yeah, and the best redesign is to remove them to hell. They will overlap any Soviet infantry unit, it remains to give them PPSh-41 as the main weapon and farewell to the Shock Troops. Separating infantry into defensive and attacking is also a stupid idea. Look at the rest of the factions and in them the main infantry combines both of these roles.
5 Oct 2019, 15:57 PM

Yeah, and the best redesign is to remove them to hell. They will overlap any Soviet infantry unit, it remains to give them PPSh-41 as the main weapon and farewell to the Shock Troops. Separating infantry into defensive and attacking is also a stupid idea. Look at the rest of the factions and in them the main infantry combines both of these roles.

Or you can just remove the AT package from penals and give Conscripts stock AT grenades.
5 Oct 2019, 16:05 PM

Or you can just remove the AT package from penals and give Conscripts stock AT grenades.

This would be a buff to stock cons and also an invitation to a more varied army composition. There would be no reason not to have at least 1 group of cons at all times. I like the idea, but this is a significant buff of 125MP and 10F to the soviets. It's not game breaking, but significant nonetheless.

On the other hand, it would be sad to see satchel/PTRS removed from soviet stock units. These items are part of SOV identity.

Your idea would have to be modified somehow. You may have increased unit variety, but you decreased the tool/weapon variety :mellow:
5 Oct 2019, 16:11 PM

And leave the Guard again useless. Previously, the Guard synergized with T1, it was almost a rule - you build T1 and you need the AT support provided by the Guard. After the PTRS Penalty, I see the Guard once in a few dozen battles. Penalties are superfluous, they have always been superfluous and will be superfluous. Any perverted schemes and roles were not invented.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 26
Germany 522

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment