Login

russian armor

OKW: Valiant Assault

24 Aug 2019, 00:34 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

With the upcoming patch Fallschirmjäger will receive long due buffs to put them back in the meta again. They're the heart of the Luftwaffe commander that will likely see the light of day again when the patch is finally out. The commander itself is not that lacking since it has call in infantry, recon, plate loiter and a bit utility.
I'd like to take the opportunity to adress one issue this might cause: Valiant Assault.
The ability is crazy good in terms of buff, cost, cooldown and duration and was seriously hurt by being in a hard to play commander only. But if an OKW player pulled it off, this ability plus OKW blob of 3-4 Volks plus 1-2 Fallschirmjäger is next to uncounterable until you have at least two mediums operational.
Squads will sprint and flank almost every MG, if not they will just frontally kill it with the accuracy buff. Allied squads will lose hard to OKW infantry and due to speed and DPS boost, there is a decent chance to wipe them on retreat.

Whenever I saw that my OKW opponent pressed the Valiant assault button I usually stood no chance. A blob of at least 3-4 squads will just kill anything in seconds. The best option was just to retreat everything to base and either wait there or make sure that my team mate is not going to be flanked.
I also played around with the commander as OKW, and while the commander itself at the moment (prepatch) is quite weak, Valiant Assault is a major reason to pick it nevertheless if you want to have some fun. 2-3 of these abilities at the right time can break your opponent if it allows you to wipe squads and push him off the map. I've had my fair share of fun just pressing the button and getting insta wins in infantry fights.

Then I thought about counters:
- MG -> usually gets decrewed by blob
- rocket arty -> often hard to aim since the enemy is running very fast. It is a counter, but you need luck. Also no option as UKF and USF. While the Scott is a great unit, it's often not a huge help if you're super busy microing your infantry.
- tanks -> Okayish option if you could keep mun pressure high, otherwise high risk of getting snared. Also the commander does not delay OKW tanks, so while your tank is busy fighting the blob, the enemy tank can take freebies at your tank. Your AT gun usually has to retreat and cannot support since the blob will wipe it.

There are more and similar abilities in other factions ("For mother Russia" for example), but I'm not sure if the buffs are comparable. Also, these abilities tend to share the same fate that Valiant Assault had - that is being stuck in bad commanders. But unlike Valiant Assault, I don't think that the commanders get a significant buff.

What do you guys think about that?
24 Aug 2019, 01:43 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

There was a change included in a balance mod at some stage where once these units were in combat the sprint would deactivate. Probably would be a good idea to include again.
24 Aug 2019, 03:08 AM

I agree wholeheartedly.

There was a change included in a balance mod at some stage where once these units were in combat the sprint would deactivate. Probably would be a good idea to include again.

That'd be a great fix. It's also a really cheap ability for what it does, so IMO cost could go up to like 90-100 muni.
24 Aug 2019, 09:26 AM

I agree wholeheartedly.

That'd be a great fix. It's also a really cheap ability for what it does, so IMO cost could go up to like 90-100 muni.
then make it have same bonus as for mother Russia :snfPeter:
24 Aug 2019, 09:34 AM

There are more and similar abilities in other factions ("For mother Russia" for example), but I'm not sure if the buffs are comparable. Also, these abilities tend to share the same fate that Valiant Assault had - that is being stuck in bad commanders. But unlike Valiant Assault, I don't think that the commanders get a significant buff.

For Mother Russia = 50% accuracy + sprint + buffs team weapons aswell
Valiant Assault = 25% accuracy + sprint
UKF's assault = recon overflight + 15% accuracy + 25% faster movement speed for infantry
Assault & Hold = 25% accuracy + 100% cap/decap rate

I'd say, just remove the sprint / movement bonus from all these abilities and replace it with something not combat related, like the cap/decap bonus from Assault & Hold. That way, good positioning stays rewarded for the other player.
24 Aug 2019, 09:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

then make it have same bonus as for mother Russia :snfPeter:

Either that, or I'd actually prefer making both abilities weaker.
One difference is also that SOV usually have lower moving DPS than OKW. Only Shock Troops will do real harm here, but their ability to wipe on retreat is limited due to their DPS drop off curve.
OKW has more options to do that.
24 Aug 2019, 09:40 AM

Either that, or I'd actually prefer making both abilities weaker.
One difference is also that SOV usually have lower moving DPS than OKW. Only Shock Troops will do real harm here, but their ability to wipe on retreat is limited due to their DPS drop off curve.
OKW has more options to do that.

How is moving DPS a factor when all squads sprint with these abilities, thus being unable to fire?
24 Aug 2019, 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

How is moving DPS a factor when all squad sprint with these abilities, thus being unable to fire?

They are able to fire when Valiant Assault is on. Otherwise that would be a huge debuff.
24 Aug 2019, 09:51 AM

They are able to fire when Valiant Assault is on. Otherwise that would be a huge debuff.

Yes they can fire, but not while moving, and you said:

One difference is also that SOV usually have lower moving DPS than OKW.

24 Aug 2019, 09:52 AM

Hannibal really u should actually check what abilities do before proposing changes , especially saying for mother russia is in a bad commander when it has b 4 recon kv1 and shoock troop
24 Aug 2019, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Yes they can fire, but not while moving.

Really? Wow. Well if that's true than forget the moving DPS point as it's invalid.
I thought that was a thing.

Played the commander quite often several months ago, I did not notice that.
24 Aug 2019, 09:58 AM

Really? Wow. Well if that's true than forget the moving DPS point as it's invalid.
I thought that was a thing.

Played the commander quite often several months ago, I did not notice that.

They'Il only point their gun towards the enemy, but not actually fire.

They do fire a shot if they slow down, like when models bump into each other or when they turn while sprinting, but that's mostly negligible.
24 Aug 2019, 10:06 AM

Shocks with For Mother Russia is not a problem but valiant assault with falls is a problem ? I seriously don't understand people.
24 Aug 2019, 10:10 AM

These Valiant Assault type abilities really need better descriptions.

'Units move faster and fight harder' is about as informative as 'this squad carries guns'.
24 Aug 2019, 10:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2019, 10:06 AMJilet
Shocks with For Mother Russia is not a problem but valiant assault with falls is a problem ? I seriously don't understand people.

Its almost as effective range of weapon determines effectiveness of counters.

Shocks aren't going to insta snipe HMG gunner from the second they get in sight and range(if no spotter for HMG), falls will.
24 Aug 2019, 10:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2019, 10:25 AMKatitof

Shocks aren't going to insta snipe HMG gunner from the second they get in sight and range(if no spotter for HMG), falls will.
no ? u have penal for that, they get 50% INSTEAD OF 25% accuracy
24 Aug 2019, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

no ? u have penal for that, they get 50% INSTEAD OF 25% accuracy

Penals cando that, Shocks can't. Katitof responded to a post that was about shocks.
24 Aug 2019, 10:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2019, 10:25 AMKatitof

No falls won't. Their FG-42 damage spreads through the models. If I remember correctly DerbyHat has proven that.
And for shocks they are not gonna snipe it, they are gonna run it down.
24 Aug 2019, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Aug 2019, 10:55 AMJilet

No falls won't. Their FG-42 damage spreads through the models. If I remember correctly DerbyHat has proven that.
And for shocks they are not gonna snipe it, they are gonna run it down.

First, running frontally into an MG even with sprint is rarely a good idea, unless it's a Maxim, then it can work.
Second Falls are great units for wiping and decrewing because they have decent mid and long range DPS, so they can wipe/decrew squads at high sight range. Shocks won't wipe if the enemy squad leaves close range, because their DPS drops off drastically

And as DerbyHat established, moving the squad will cancel firing, so "running" it down is apparently not an option. You need the mid/far DPS if Fallschirmjäger and Volks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★