Login

russian armor

Can you use Ostruppen in team games?

8 Aug 2019, 17:52 PM

I wanted to try out the Ost doctrine that had concrete bunkers, and so I decided to use the tier 0 Ostruppen the commander also gives you

And oh man do they get instagibbed. And they don't get LMGs until you research the last tech upgrade lol

Is this commander just trash or am I not using them right?
8 Aug 2019, 18:25 PM

I wanted to try out the Ost doctrine that had concrete bunkers, and so I decided to use the tier 0 Ostruppen the commander also gives you

And oh man do they get instagibbed. And they don't get LMGs until you research the last tech upgrade lol

Is this commander just trash or am I not using them right?

I wouldn't recommend it, I don't see why gren's would ever not be better and assgrens get 6 models now if your concerned with snipers. Commander can be okay though if you get a big sector arty off though.

I find concrete bunkers overpriced TBH, they are 380 mp right? just buy 2 pios to repair.:S. Are you having a different experience using them?
8 Aug 2019, 19:26 PM

Sadly they're not as effective in team games where their numbers don't really count for anything because of the overall amount of both friendly and enemy infantry in the match.

Even if you get a good defensive position and dig in hard you just get hit by mass infantry blobs, artillery or early tanks which you cannot do anything against with them.

I suggest just going the support weapons route and then into Tanks, the new Strategic Reserves one with the Assault Grenadiers, Tiger Ace and Panzer IV H or Elite Troops, you got Stormtroopers which I later upgrade with Panzershrecks for AT, MGs, mortars if needed and possible, Tiger Ace, you also got the Panzer Tactician and Panthers.

It all depends if you need to rush hard at first (Strategic Reserves) or can just camp (Elite Troops).
8 Aug 2019, 19:28 PM

Imo they are utterly useless in teamgames vs half decent opponents. Osttruppen are designed for increased mapcontrol at the cost of bad killing power. This is useful in 1v1 maybe but not in teamgames where you usually have to focus a smaller area compared to 1v1. You're just gonna get overrun vs aggressive type of players
8 Aug 2019, 19:34 PM

Osttruppen in general can be viable if you want to play a bit more agressive and get more units on the field in the early game and then follow up with a slightly faster light vehicle (should be a 251/16 as you will have munitions for the flamers and it has a greater initial shock value).
The difference between Osttruppen and Assault Grenadiers for a t1 skipping strategy are that you can have more osttruppen on the field, those have a panzerfaust after the t2 building is completed and that they are way stronger in cover positions defending what you have captured, the problem is that you need other units to assault positions either flamer pioneers, panzer grenadiers or vehicles of any kind probably 251/16 or ostwind/p4 in the lategame maybe stug e or brummbär (sometimes a sniper works well with osttruppen but those strategies work with grenadiers aswell).
The community defense commander can be useful in teamgames but should mostly be used for the osttruppen the pak43 or the sector artillery to hold positions, The other Osttruppen commander is sometimes more useful as the railway artillery can be used to oneshot howitzers or vehicles that driven over riegelmines or british forward headquarters, another nice touch of the original osttruppen commander is the artillery field officer that allows you to use your panzerwerfers twice before the first cooldown has ended with one of his abilities while the other 2 offmap strikes allow you to replace mortars and to push into enemy lines or atleast disturb the vision and forcing infantry to reposition.

I think in general that the concrete bunkers are currently horrendously overpriced as they almost cost the same manpower as an artillery piece that comes later, but can easily counter them and retains is usefulness afterwards, the bunkers can also be countered fairly easy by atguns and the manpower cost usually sets you back quite a bit (might leave you open to light vehicles if you skip a cheaper pak40 for instance).
8 Aug 2019, 20:24 PM

Just go Assault Grens if you want to play aggressively in early game. Osttruppen make no sense and are just a horrible idea for team games
8 Aug 2019, 20:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I do not have the commander you're talking about, but I do like playing with Osttruppen in 2v2 when using the commander that also gives you the support weapon drop.
Keep in mind I am not very highly ranked though.
I usually get either two early MGs on top of 2-3 Osttruppen or one MG plus early 251 for assaulting. That can carry you through the early game, until you get the support weapon drop for a PaK40. The officer can give some close range DPS, but I have used it with very mixed efficiency. Also I usually got a P4 (maybe StuG is more efficient meanwhile) to tech to T3 early on for the Osttruppen MG upgrade.

The advantage of the commander is that you can float a bit of MP and share the support weapon drop with your teammate or build caches. Also Osttruppen are good vs Brits and don't bleed you that hard in late game arty fest,
Nd if you want to have fun you can go full off-meta and get the officer and a Panzerwerfer in the late game. Then surprise your opponent with two Panzerwerfer shots from the same vehicle within a few seconds. Works surprisingly well,
8 Aug 2019, 20:42 PM

The Arty Officer is fun if you get two Pgrens and pop the accuracy buff, no Shock squad will dare close in on that. Free smoke & 35 muni mortar barrage are useful for dispersing the enemy when attacking. Late game the officer lets you barrage a second time with Pwerfers, which can be very strong.

I don't feel the Osttruppen themselves are worth a doctrine in 2v2 however, but in 1v1 they're an absolute must, especially against UKF.
8 Aug 2019, 21:55 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Imo they are utterly useless in teamgames vs half decent opponents. Osttruppen are designed for increased mapcontrol at the cost of bad killing power. This is useful in 1v1 maybe but not in teamgames where you usually have to focus a smaller area compared to 1v1. You're just gonna get overrun vs aggressive type of players

This +

I wouldn't recommend it, I don't see why gren's would ever not be better and assgrens get 6 models now if your concerned with snipers.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★