Login

russian armor

Portrait of the new commanders

16 Jun 2019, 11:51 AM

Any and all worked being done to improve the game is greatly appreciated.

Having that said imo it would be great if all portraits where more similar and had that "old" photographs feel with less "warm" colors and more "weathering"

This a good example of what I am suggesting.
16 Jun 2019, 12:03 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Only first 13 commanders for Red Army and Ostheer were edited in that way. All other were more/less like WFA and UKF. Easier to bring them to late standart.

16 Jun 2019, 12:20 PM

Agree, the portraits undermine the polish of not only this patch but entire game. Appreciate the hardwork of whoever did it, but it would be silly to pretend its not ridiculously out of place looking to spare someone's feelings.

Saying the "community" doesn't care is demonstrably wrong, the sentiment seems to be strongly felt on reddit and otherwise.
16 Jun 2019, 13:29 PM

Only first 13 commanders for Red Army and Ostheer were edited in that way. All other were more/less like WFA and UKF. Easier to bring them to late standart.

I personally like the the old "photo" look but that is simply my preference.

Imo it would be great if all commander's portrait where made in a similar "technique".
16 Jun 2019, 13:44 PM
Patrion 26

No, I never said I don't like them. It just felt a little bit weird when you are a Lead Artist on the biggest community-driven website and you are getting excluded from a community project which involves a lot of drawing.

I'm really sorry to hear that you were turned away for no apparent reason. That was a very foolish and self defeating decision, especially based on the really high quality portrait you've shared on here.

I'm sure if you had been involved they would have looked great and no one would of had anything to complain about.

Hopefully people learn from this...
16 Jun 2019, 14:31 PM

No, I never said I don't like them. It just felt a little bit weird when you are a Lead Artist on the biggest community-driven website and you are getting excluded from a community project which involves a lot of drawing.

I never said that you said you didn't like them, I only said that I thought you made them, that's all.
16 Jun 2019, 15:11 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Welcome to the club.
16 Jun 2019, 22:20 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The 5 new commanders are made base of faces from the community. Always some faces mixed together and then ofc reworked to look good for coh2- ww2

Really? Who are they supposed to be, some streamers or community members?
16 Jun 2019, 22:26 PM

Yes i know as i told you in the PM. If you ask me, I had let made you this. But at the time you asked me, Relic had already made it self (or paid someone to do it or w/e)

So the timing was sadly bad. :/

And yes it cost alot of work to do something like that.

Not sure if people knew this already

With the risk of offending pretty much everybody, including myself, I'll just say that there probably is no better mug for a commander than this handsome fellow:

16 Jun 2019, 22:53 PM

With the risk of offending pretty much everybody, including myself, I'll just say that there probably is no better mug for a commander than this handsome fellow:

might as well create a wehr and soviet commander with the portraits of Hitler and Stalin to maximize the chance that coh2 will get striked by the law enforcement and taken off of Steam.

*sarcasm off* I know where you're coming from and (by far) not every Wehrmacht leader committed war crimes, but creating commander portraits of actual existing (german or soviet) military leaders from WW2 would definitely cross the line and offend people I am afraid.
16 Jun 2019, 23:04 PM

might as well create a wehr and soviet commander with the portraits of Hitler and Stalin to maximize the chance that coh2 will get striked by the law enforcement and taken off of Steam.

*sarcasm off* I know where you're coming from and (by far) not every Wehrmacht leader committed war crimes, but creating commander portraits of actual existing (german or soviet) military leaders from WW2 would definitely cross the line and offend people I am afraid.

Nah I don't care about offending politically correct people, I meant the people on whose faces the new commanders are based off of.
17 Jun 2019, 01:00 AM

Permanently Banned
Not sure what Saddam is doing as the VDV commander tbh
17 Jun 2019, 01:06 AM

I want to know who's decision it was to use the current artwork instead of the many other options.

I want to know the rationale behind this decision. Can we get Andy or some other Relic liason in here to explain it?
17 Jun 2019, 03:18 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Portraits in general have always been a bad way for players to interface with this critical element of the game. Its painfully confusing, its generic, and it leaves a lot to be desired. The COH1 system of commander selection UI was so much better, but even this could be improved upon no doubt.
17 Jun 2019, 05:03 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2019, 22:20 PMTobis

Really? Who are they supposed to be, some streamers or community members?

I think the soviet's picture is of me?

Not sure, I was not notified. but if it is me, I do not mind.
17 Jun 2019, 06:28 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

SOV . The face circle is lower than compared to the others

US. The outline of the eyes is perhaps too dark. It looks like an TNMT mask.

BRIT . There's something weird and it's ...

EDIT: USA . Has another skin tone compared to the others

17 Jun 2019, 07:59 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2019, 13:29 PMVipper

I personally like the the old "photo" look but that is simply my preference.

Imo it would be great if all commander's portrait where made in a similar "technique".

I believe i found easy and fast way to make all other commanders portraits be like the oldest of them. Of course it is only the first draft. I used posted before commander as base - nation symbol as stamp on photo and desaturation. But still position is different little bit (soviet commander is "higher", than british).
17 Jun 2019, 12:40 PM

The American commander looks SOOO weird!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★