Login

russian armor

StuG and JPIV Penetration

PAGES (13)down
10 Jun 2019, 09:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:18 AMLago

Perhaps I'm biased by the unrelenting stream of IS-2 stallers I've had to put up with since the last patch (and which this patch will just make worse), but I still think 375 is a stupid armour value for any unit.

Well, it gets up to 500 for axis units and they have multiple of them.

Also, you're well aware that heavies will end up on tech sooner then later, so its kind of pointless to buff stug to deal with a unit its not supposed to, because there is a problem that is going to be solved soon.
10 Jun 2019, 09:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:07 AMLago

If you do that, the StuG holds the special honour of being the only unit in the game that becomes completely useless if the opponent goes for a heavy tank.

This is just wrong. If you consider price, tech and timing you will realise Stugs do well vs Churchills + it´s different variants, Pershing, KV1 and KV2. A pair of Stugs is very powerful especially with TWP.

Yes they are not the answer to T70 into IS2 stall tactics but that's the beauty of COH2. Not every unit is right for every situation.
10 Jun 2019, 09:30 AM

This is just wrong. If you consider price, tech and timing you will realise Stugs do well vs Churchills + it´s different variants, Pershing, KV1 and KV2. A pair of Stugs is very powerful especially with TWP.

Yes they are not the answer to T70 into IS2 stall tactics but that's the beauty of COH2. Not every unit is right for every situation.

No that privilege is only reserved for the M36.
10 Jun 2019, 09:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:30 AMVipper

No that is only the M36 privilege.

(psst, that's the case if you have a faction that doesn't have alternative, you know, like 2 dedicated TDs stock in 2 different tiers - its not a privilege, its a necessary requirement)
10 Jun 2019, 09:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:22 AMKatitof
Well, it gets up to 500 for axis units and they have multiple of them.

Also, you're well aware that heavies will end up on tech sooner then later, so its kind of pointless to buff stug to deal with a unit its not supposed to, because there is a problem that is going to be solved soon.

525, actually.

IS-2's like "hey look at my sweet armour stat that screws up the tank destroyer balance" and the Jagdtiger's like "hold my beer".

I think all these armour values are dumb. OKW is by far the worst offender.

Tying heavies to tech will end heavy stalls, but high armour remains a problem for balancing tank destroyers. Especially casemates.

But every unit can always do something. Even the Panther can go kill some infantry.

The StuG doesn't need to be better than the Panther, but if it's going to be an exclusively AT unit then it shouldn't be deadweight.

That's an idea, actually. You could raise the cost of the pintle back to 60 and double the damage.

That'd give it slightly worse AI than the Panther. By no means good, but actually useful.
10 Jun 2019, 09:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:38 AMKatitof

(psst, that's the case if you have a faction that doesn't have alternative, you know, like 2 dedicated TDs stock in 2 different tiers - its not a privilege, its a necessary requirement)

No matter how many time you repeat the same argument it will not become true.

psst, load the game you will see that only 2 out of 5 faction have 2 dedicated TDs stock in 2 different tiers. (actually one since SU-76 can barrage)
10 Jun 2019, 09:52 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:48 AMVipper

And I'm bouncing that ball right back at you.

Plus, that's not an argument, that's a faction design fact in USF case.
10 Jun 2019, 10:51 AM

They are tank destroyers and should thus clearly have better penetration+ they can't self spot or have rotating turrets like allied TD's ...
10 Jun 2019, 10:58 AM

They are tank destroyers and should thus clearly have better penetration+ they can't self spot or have rotating turrets like allied TD's ...

They have 170 far penetration.
Their intended targets have 160 armor.
JP4 DOES self spot.
They are either much more durable or incomparably cheaper from allied counterparts.
10 Jun 2019, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jun 2019, 22:43 PMVipper

I am not suggesting to buff the Panther and nerf the Su-85.

I am simply making some points:
1)Unit should have role in the game.

2) Units should be balanced both in vet 0 and at higher vets. The relationship could change if there is a reason. A unit vetting slower might need to have superior vet bonuses.

3) Unit should be priced according to their role if the role of the JP is to counter enemy mediums and enemy tank destroyer the unit should cheaper than those units.

4) Tds should not have 100% chance to hit and penetrate enemy vehicles at range 60. Else they have little reason to engage in other ranges.

Since you said that SU85 vets faster and better than a Panther, this would destroy the balance from vet 0 units and that Allied TDs would be OP in general, it heavily suggested that you want to nerf/buff some units.

Apart from point 3 I do agree on the rest. Especially for point 4 I would like the game to be slower with bigger maps in general so that tank battles can be drawn out a bit. But for CoH2 it's too late, we need to tweak the current system to the best status possible.
10 Jun 2019, 11:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 10:58 AMKatitof

JP4 DOES self spot.
They are either much more durable or incomparably cheaper from allied counterparts.

Sorry but what do you mean by "intended"? Axis TDs intended to deal with mediums and allied TDs intended to kill heavies? The point of this topic is not their penetration performance against mediums.
JP4 does self spot at VET2, not by default.
The durability of JP4 is not enough to protect it against the INTENDED allied Super-TDs. 230armor vs 220/240/260 pen of M36. They can penetrate each other with every shot.
10 Jun 2019, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 09:48 AMVipper

psst, load the game you will see that only 2 out of 5 faction have 2 dedicated TDs stock in 2 different tiers. (actually one since SU-76 can barrage)

Of course this is true.
Without M36 USF could only fight mediums at best, because Stuarts and the US Pak do not have the pen to deal with anything heavier than a Stug. So the M36 needs the pen to damage a Panther and even heavier. It's not well designed, but that's what we got.
10 Jun 2019, 11:25 AM

Sorry but what do you mean by "intended"? Axis TDs intended to deal with mediums and allied TDs intended to kill heavies?

Exactly.
In case you've missed about 50 posts in this thread explaining why, let me briefly get you on board:
10 Jun 2019, 11:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 10:58 AMKatitof

JP4 DOES self spot.

I'm convinced.

I still think the IS-2's design is dumb, but I can put up with that. As you said, it'll stop showing up every damn game when they tie it to tech.
10 Jun 2019, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Sorry but what do you mean by "intended"? Axis TDs intended to deal with mediums and allied TDs intended to kill heavies? The point of this topic is not their penetration performance against mediums.
JP4 does self spot at VET2, not by default.
The durability of JP4 is not enough to protect it against the INTENDED allied Super-TDs. 230armor vs 220/240/260 pen of M36. They can penetrate each other with every shot.

Targets of StuG and JP4 are light vehicles and mediums. Allied medium tank is usually 160 armor, making Stug and JP4 pen with 100% chance.
Unlike Axis, with the expection of Soviets Allies do not have access to another tier of tank destroyers that can deal with heavies. This means that their TD must be able to deal with the heaviest armor, otherwise we go back to the "I win"-King Tiger button.
Also, Allies usually don't have much heavy armor, so the Panther is an additional option as a brawler tank or against heavy call ins or heavier British tanks to reliably deal with them. That's why Stug and JP4 don't need the pen to deal with heavy armor.
Also, JP4 has 45 base sight which enables it to spot mediums for itself without being fired back on.
10 Jun 2019, 11:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2019, 11:25 AMKatitof

Exactly.
In case you've missed about 50 posts in this thread explaining why, let me briefly get you on board:

It seems OK. However, if panther is a super-TD in the same class of M36 and FF, then it should get same range atleast.
And i dont think the cost of SU76 equals JP4. Same cost as M36, deals good with mediums only. The performance should justify the price.
10 Jun 2019, 11:33 AM

I've got a question: where does this fast rate of fire for the JPIV thing come from?

Looking through the stats it's pretty similar to the Jackson and SU-85.
10 Jun 2019, 11:35 AM

Targets of StuG and JP4 are light vehicles and mediums. Allied medium tank is usually 160 armor, making Stug and JP4 pen with 100% chance.
Unlike Axis, with the expection of Soviets Allies do not have access to another tier of tank destroyers that can deal with heavies. This means that their TD must be able to deal with the heaviest armor, otherwise we go back to the "I win"-King Tiger button.
Also, Allies usually don't have much heavy armor, so the Panther is an additional option as a brawler tank or against heavy call ins or heavier British tanks to reliably deal with them. That's why Stug and JP4 don't need the pen to deal with heavy armor.
Also, JP4 has 45 base sight which enables it to spot mediums for itself without being fired back on.

You are right. But JP4's performance not matches its high cost. 2 T34/76 can manage to beat JP4 with a lose of 1
10 Jun 2019, 11:45 AM

If the JP4 target are light and mediums it should not be more than they do.
10 Jun 2019, 11:59 AM

The Panther doesn't counter anything, especially not heavy vehicles with it's low ass dps.
PAGES (13)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS