Login

russian armor

AT mode for LeIG 18 to "help" OKW.

16 Apr 2019, 22:39 PM

Hello, so today me and Widerstreit tested out his mod and I stumbled upon an old project of his which basically gives the LeIG a direct fire AT mode that could be used to supplement OKW's AT since as people have noted that the Raketen is lacking due to the majority of it's shots hitting the ground because of the low spawning shells and low range, the Sturms are given the AT infantry job on top of their other 5 jobs and the Puma and Jagdpanzer IV both cost fuel and so on.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the ability in action:

Direct fire AT mode -

Indirect fire artillery mode which is the current one in the vanilla game -

You can test it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1562660350

Along with it are a few other things which he is experimenting with it like a new Radio bunker model and new trench.

Sadly he deleted the repair station from the preview picture after it was declined by the community mod team back in the revamped commander patch so there's no point in looking for it.

He's also responsible for the grenade fix and other things which were implemented a long time ago into the game.
17 Apr 2019, 00:55 AM

I personally love the idea.
LeiG had a little direct fire role back in ww2, but it had small calliber and low velocity rounds, therefore as an ATG its damage shouldnt be better than raketen.
17 Apr 2019, 01:16 AM

I personally love the idea.
LeiG had a little direct fire role back in ww2, but it had small calliber and low velocity rounds, therefore as an ATG its damage shouldnt be better than raketen.

In fact, it had hollow-chragers for fighting vehicles, up to 100mm pen.

My Version has 50 range, 120 pen and 100 damage.

EDIT: I released a new version.
- now AT-modus blocks auto AI-attack (like PaK-43 does)
- new ability added, low angle shots. (like Zis3 ability, but worse. has cool-down with normal barrage) Ability can be used while in AT-modus.

17 Apr 2019, 04:37 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Miragefla and Mr. Smith back in the day gave the 7.5cm leIG 18 a "Hollow Charge" single-shot ability to the leIG 18. It wasn't effective enough as an anti-vehicle tool and was consequently cut from the balance patch.

In Widerstreit's version, however, where you can switch between HEAT and HE, is going to be very powerful. I don't see much of a reason to build a Raketewerfer if the leIG 18 gets selective fire.

120 pen is enough to pen all light vehicles, even the Valentine Mk.XI, and has at least 75% chance of penetrating stock allied medium tanks. For reference, the Puma has 120 pen mid (10-30m) and 80 pen far (30-50m). Never build Raks again; go Battlegroup into P4 rush every game, as you have leIGs that can barrage enemy infantry (especially HMGs that give OKW infantry play headaches) and ruin light vehicle play.

Additionally, if you could fire regular HE barrages in AT mode, that removes the counter-play available to the other player; engage with infantry if the leIG is in AT mode, and engage with vehicles otherwise.

I would say that the issue with Battlegruppe HQ is the fact that it has paltry answers to vehicles and tanks. However, I would say that giving the leIG an AT mode is not the solution. I would say that the solution is to make the leIG 18 the M1 Pack Howitzer of OKW; a reliable, powerful indirect fire unit.

My solution to make Battlegruppe HQ more viable is far more extreme. I would remove the Sdkfz. 251/20 IR HT and give it to Overwatch Doctrine as a 4CP (same timing as Recon flights) call-in vehicle in place of the 8CP 10.5cm leFH 18. Next, I would add a 250MP Panzerjager squad that can camouflage in cover and carries 3 weapon-team Kar98ks and a Panzershrek.
17 Apr 2019, 06:13 AM

The Pack Howitzer for USF currently gets a HEAT barrage with veterancy. If it had good accuracy on those shots, it could be potentially useful without outright replacing a rak's function.
17 Apr 2019, 06:20 AM

I love Widerstreit idea, LeiG being a weaker all around gun. The low angle shots ability should have a big minimun range, otherwise it can fight inf, LVs and garrisons, team weapons easly.
17 Apr 2019, 06:45 AM

I would say that the issue with Battlegruppe HQ is the fact that it has paltry answers to vehicles and tanks. However, I would say that giving the leIG an AT mode is not the solution. I would say that the solution is to make the leIG 18 the M1 Pack Howitzer of OKW; a reliable, powerful indirect fire unit.

You'll need to get ride of OKW T3 canon then. In my opinion the reason why OKW can't get access to better version of HMG/atgun/Indirect fire units is because of OKW T3 that can already lock 1/3 of a 1vs1 map and cover your Leig from any assault.
I mean take a good look at the PakHowi, close your eyes, visualize it and then put OKW T3 close to it as defense.
17 Apr 2019, 08:24 AM

This would ruin team games imo as OKW is already the strongest faction in 3v3/4v4
17 Apr 2019, 09:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2019, 08:24 AMGrim
This would ruin team games imo as OKW is already the strongest faction in 3v3/4v4
try brits i find them much better thanks to sexton and any commando doc, okw is good with overwatch tho (75%crit JLI), but in team game 2 ff remove the enemy armor of all palyers
17 Apr 2019, 10:30 AM

Test them befor you judge. Like in the video, even a T70 can handle them. The AI shells still are the old ones, bad AOE, bad damage. And in direct fire mode they get massive accuracy nerf for the reload buff.

I don't get access to the code of Patch-Version of the game, because you don't make it public... don't judge me.

Püppchen still is needed to handle tanks.

My models are mainly for showing the possibilities of mod-tool.

In my opinion only that thing has more priority than the new OKW commander nobody needs... but how I am to say that?
17 Apr 2019, 10:39 AM

Miragefla and Mr. Smith back in the day gave the 7.5cm leIG 18 a "Hollow Charge" single-shot ability to the leIG 18. It wasn't effective enough as an anti-vehicle tool and was consequently cut from the balance patch.

In Widerstreit's version, however, where you can switch between HEAT and HE, is going to be very powerful. I don't see much of a reason to build a Raketewerfer if the leIG 18 gets selective fire.

120 pen is enough to pen all light vehicles, even the Valentine Mk.XI, and has at least 75% chance of penetrating stock allied medium tanks. For reference, the Puma has 120 pen mid (10-30m) and 80 pen far (30-50m). Never build Raks again; go Battlegroup into P4 rush every game, as you have leIGs that can barrage enemy infantry (especially HMGs that give OKW infantry play headaches) and ruin light vehicle play.

Additionally, if you could fire regular HE barrages in AT mode, that removes the counter-play available to the other player; engage with infantry if the leIG is in AT mode, and engage with vehicles otherwise.

My solution to make Battlegruppe HQ more viable is far more extreme. I would remove the Sdkfz. 251/20 IR HT and give it to Overwatch Doctrine as a 4CP (same timing as Recon flights) call-in vehicle in place of the 8CP 10.5cm leFH 18. Next, I would add a 250MP Panzerjager squad that can camouflage in cover and carries 3 weapon-team Kar98ks and a Panzershrek.

how the hell is this guna replace reketen and make it obsolete?, its way inferior to the reketen in its AT role, and lacks any retreat or camo, if you seriously rely on this unit for AT before any of your tanks role out a single lv is guna stomp you, let alone a medium.

This would most certainly help with OKW non fuel AT options
17 Apr 2019, 10:54 AM

Fine-balancing is then the Job of the balancing team. The leIG18 will become more useful and will fill the roles OKW is lacking.

More or less I see the Option to use 1*Püppchen with 1-2*leIG18 instead. Also leIG18 is in medic-truck, so this tech also allows a light AT-Option beside of T2.

And first we have to fix what we have ingame. leIG18 is the most misrepresented unit ingame with most potential.

-> better remove the fire-Shell-ability of fire-commander and buff the leIG18 as a hole unit.
17 Apr 2019, 13:07 PM

The LeiG doubling as an anti-tank gun is interesting, like a reverse of the old SU-76.

Balancing it sounds challenging but doable. It'd also boost Battlegroup's capabilities without increasing its manpower bleed.

The M42's AT capabilities are probably a good starting point. Wide arc, fast RoF, pretty ineffective against mediums.
17 Apr 2019, 13:19 PM

Interesting idea.

Didn't the old ISG target vehicles automatically? I think some of its veterancy still has some remnants of that (vet 5 gives +15% penetration I think). I'd assume this dual purpose role was removed for a reason, so it might be worth digging that reason up before possibly repeating a mistake.
17 Apr 2019, 14:09 PM

try brits i find them much better thanks to sexton and any commando doc, okw is good with overwatch tho (75%crit JLI), but in team game 2 ff remove the enemy armor of all palyers

I play brits quite a lot and I think they're the weakest faction at the moment. They're a one trick pony. Emplacements are a meme (the only one I use is the 17pdr with the fortifications commander upgrade) and you are forced into FF/Churchill combo which is powerful but not worth enduring the UKF faction as a whole for.
17 Apr 2019, 14:11 PM

The same change should apply to command PzIV and Stug -E since they used a similar gun that could be used for direct and indirect fire support.

I would lower the direct fire mod range to something like 40-45 thou.
17 Apr 2019, 14:13 PM

Interesting idea.

Didn't the old ISG target vehicles automatically? I think some of its veterancy still has some remnants of that (vet 5 gives +15% penetration I think). I'd assume this dual purpose role was removed for a reason, so it might be worth digging that reason up before possibly repeating a mistake.

In the original implementation the Leig could fire both low and high angle and had AT barrage.

That made the unit OP. This is quite different since the weapon uses different firing Modes.
17 Apr 2019, 14:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Apr 2019, 14:11 PMVipper
The same change should apply to command PzIV and Stug -E since they used a similar gun that could be used for direct and indirect fire support.

I would lower the direct fire mod range to something like 40-45 thou.

I have already asked Wider to do me a favor and give the same treatment to the StuG III E as well as an MG42 but I'm not so sure about the Command Panzer IV since it's a command vehicle and not a regular one so it's kind of an odd egg. I guess it'd be fine for the regular F1 if they ever add it.
19 Apr 2019, 13:48 PM

I have check the changes Widerstreit mod and they look promising.

In addition to Leig changes Ghosting does not block units which is great.

There is a new trench that also look great that is not building and does not block vehicles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS