Login

russian armor

Overwatch Flares

11 Apr 2019, 17:52 PM

Can this ability be made to require some level of brain activity? Every time I encounter this ability I find a new way that its stupid. The fact that its free makes the rest of it even more absurd.

The traps auto-arm themselves to a absurd degree. I was capping territory last night and my opponent picked the commander while I was doing it. The point was almost decapped when the flare shot into the sky. If you step out of a point for a second and then step back in, the flare auto-arms itself so quickly that it fires another one.

The best part is that in order to disable the flare you have to walk your sweeper into the center of the point, thus revealing the squad to your opponent anyway. Yet the trip triggers the moment a squad walks into the cap radius.

Can it be a free ability on sturmpios, or be a cost ability that you place yourself? There aren't really any abilities like this in the game, radio intercept being the closest one I can think of. Like why is it free AND it requires no micro?
11 Apr 2019, 17:55 PM

I've wanted this for a while. It's not hard to do, surely.

Use the old Soviet Booby Trap - click on commander ability, click on point. 10-25 MU.
11 Apr 2019, 19:13 PM

Yea as a stand alone single ability slot it was fine, not so much as an Uber bundled ability slot

Although I guess the only rational explanation is okw is the faction of super strong recon: arty flares, Kuble has map hax built in at vet 1, UHU, these... Hell even their recon plane does more than a normal recon plane does...
11 Apr 2019, 21:09 PM

The overwatch flares should require some time of brain function by the player, like booby traps / tripwire flares require some setup. Maybe give volksgrenadiers the ability to arm them. In addition some of the other flare abilities, especially spec ops are so annoying, as well as the UKF flares, the main reason is because you can't counter flares like you can recon planes.
11 Apr 2019, 21:40 PM

volks should be fine, but on pios would mean only a few points will get the flares, even if they were free. Im ok with both options, its a really good ability imo, borderline OP.
12 Apr 2019, 16:41 PM

Yea as a stand alone single ability slot it was fine, not so much as an Uber bundled ability slot

It was still a problem as a standalone IMO. It's free and there's no micro, and it can't really be countered. Sweeper has to enter the points LoS to disable it. The bundle is just the icing on the cake.

The traps arming themselves in every point without any user input is flat out stupid. I don't care if it took up 5 ability slots, the concept doesn't belong in the game in general. It's wildly brainless for a game that's allegedly about strategy
12 Apr 2019, 18:17 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think another way to keep the ability as is and fair, is to remove the vision provided by the flare and instead just give the minimap vision.

This way it would put it in the same power level/utility wise as the SU radio ability.

This was the main selling point of the commander, when it didn't have as strong tools as it has now after rework, so a change to it should be fine.
12 Apr 2019, 22:35 PM

I think another way to keep the ability as is and fair, is to remove the vision provided by the flare and instead just give the minimap vision.

I like this idea. I think free LoS is just a bit too far so this would do the trick.
12 Apr 2019, 22:56 PM

At this point I'd replace Early Warning Systems with Goliath and be done with it. Overwatch has JLI for scouting now and it's got six abilities as is.
13 Apr 2019, 00:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2019, 22:56 PMLago
At this point I'd replace Early Warning Systems with Goliath and be done with it. Overwatch has JLI for scouting now and it's got six abilities as is.

I'd just remove JLI from that tbh.
13 Apr 2019, 01:09 AM

volks should be fine, but on pios would mean only a few points will get the flares, even if they were free. Im ok with both options, its a really good ability imo, borderline OP.

+1

I don't see why volks shouldn't have it. Sturmpios don't ned even more jobs lmao.
14 Apr 2019, 19:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2019, 22:56 PMLago

That's a good point I kinda forgot Jaegers have only been on overwatch for a little while. Hard to remember JLI were even a thing before that change
14 Apr 2019, 19:53 PM

Hard to remember JLI were even a thing before that change

Have you already forgot scavenge doctrine meta for a loooooong time before ostwind was tech bound for OKW?
That's when JLI were spammed already, they were also batshit insane thing at WFA release.
14 Apr 2019, 21:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2019, 19:53 PMKatitof
Have you already forgot scavenge doctrine meta for a loooooong time before ostwind was tech bound for OKW?
That's when JLI were spammed already, they were also batshit insane thing at WFA release.

I thought that doctrine's thing was call-in Ostwinds?
14 Apr 2019, 22:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2019, 21:49 PMLago

I thought that doctrine's thing was call-in Ostwinds?

JLI were also a thing, not as potent as current ones, but most definitely were used.
15 Apr 2019, 01:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2019, 19:53 PMKatitof

Who cares? No I don't remember jaegers being spammed when ostwinds were still meta. Not really that important to this discussion
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★