Login

russian armor

Fallshirmjager usage

7 Jan 2019, 07:10 AM

Recently trying out OKW luftwaffe ground forces in 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 and would like some advice on when and how to use fallshirmjagers. I love it's firepower but can't take full use of it in most games.

My trouble with the timing is that it comes at 3CP when my infantry lineup is normally quite set and filled with volks and sturmpioneers. I can't use it at the start where it would be the most powerful. Midgame it doesn't have any anti-tank capabilities and lategame i would have obers to replace dead squad. So when is it the most effective?

As for how to use it, it's 440 mp is very expensive and it is much more fragile than I expect. It also gets countered hard by any tanks, so how is it meant to be used?

Thanks in advance for any help.
7 Jan 2019, 07:28 AM

its 380 mp wasn't it?

and yeah if you field that many infantry units it can be hard, but volks spam is so cheap and effective that you can afford elite squad here and there.
Best way to use them is to sit the behind volks, because falls do good damage no matter where they are located
7 Jan 2019, 07:35 AM

You could try to vet them to 2 by having them support volks and use them as an infiltration unit on cutoffs or wiping team weapons, repairing engineers, snipers and the like as they get cloak at vet 2.

As a strict frontline infantry unit, they simply do not hold up as well as obersoldaten with their -50% received accuracy.

Another problem of falls is that they dont have a mainweapon and support guns, but 4 FG42s. That means one dies, your firepower goes down 25% flat. When 3 guys but the MG34 gunner die in an ober squad, you still had significant firepower till the retreat.
7 Jan 2019, 09:14 AM

thanks for the help on usage, will try it out.

but when would you call them in. Maybe because I'm a noob but i can't get 3CPs early enough to call them in when there aren't tanks and can be used to full potential. Midgame i mainly build support weapons to augment my volk squads and i need to counter the allies light vehicle which falls is of no help. Then later in the game, I rather have obers. Is there an ideal time for it?
7 Jan 2019, 09:57 AM

I never use them, as Obers with the STG44 upgrade (Special Operations doctrine) are much better if you want some CQC infantry.

The only good use Falls have is using their ambush camouflage on the flanks (like defending a VP). Cloak in cover and put them to hold fire, then throw a bundled grenade and enable firing to get the jump on an approaching or capping squad. But this can be tricky to micromanage if there's a lot of other things going on.
7 Jan 2019, 10:11 AM

You lost a volk squad? call in Fs to replace them. I mainly use them to hide and flank allied crew weapons. Bundled grenade really helps out in that regard
7 Jan 2019, 10:14 AM

I never use them, as Obers with the STG44 upgrade (Special Operations doctrine) are much better if you want some CQC infantry.

The only good use Falls have is using their ambush camouflage on the flanks (like defending a VP). Cloak in cover and put them to hold fire, then throw a bundled grenade and enable firing to get the jump on an approaching or capping squad. But this can be tricky to micromanage if there's a lot of other things going on.

Falls are NOT CQC infantry.
In fact, they are very WEAK as CQC infantry.

They are volks on crack with camo, all range infantry that picks their engagement and distance to perform best.
7 Jan 2019, 10:21 AM

7 Jan 2019, 10:28 AM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jan 2019, 10:21 AMBaba
whats qcq?

it's CQC and it means Close Quarter Combat
7 Jan 2019, 10:30 AM

damn i lost my ability to read. thanks. i figured that it was close combat related but couldnt make sense of the q's.. :D
7 Jan 2019, 10:35 AM

Falls are NOT CQC infantry.
In fact, they are very WEAK as CQC infantry.

They are volks on crack with camo, all range infantry that picks their engagement and distance to perform best.

Meh, using them on mid-long range engagements makes them pretty bad compared to Volks as their DPS is not that much higher on those ranges and they lose 25% of it per dropped model as opposed to Volks who retain their highest DPS weapon untill the last two models. If you want mid range engagements you're better off with STG Volks, and for long range there's LMG Obers. Then on CQC they get outclassed a lot by STG44 Obers. Which effectively gives them no real use except for ambushes.
7 Jan 2019, 10:40 AM

" Which effectively gives them no real use except for ambushes."

yes, i mean why else would they have the ability to cloak. CP 3 glass cannon with cloak. not meant as mainline inf. like for example.. well what could possibly follow... Jli?^^
7 Jan 2019, 10:50 AM

Ambushes are micro heavy, require your very expensive squad to be idle most of the time, with a chance of having them wiped for nothing if you forget them while they're on hold fire and without ambush bonus you might as well just put a squad of Obers there to pick away infantry as they approach.

I'm not saying they are completely useless, I'm just saying that Falls have no outstanding uses when all other OKW infantry can do most of what they do both better and for a cheaper price. IMO they are just not worth getting.
7 Jan 2019, 11:04 AM

Yes, I ,mostly agree. My previous post was meant to agree aswell. When i use them, i do it because i think it is a fun unit and i like to use paras, same with USF, even though i dont hink they should be comming by air.
7 Jan 2019, 16:04 PM

I think the problem is building Obers is way more favorable than calling Falls.
7 Jan 2019, 16:24 PM

ye, try getting obers at cp3. give me a screenshot of that pls
7 Jan 2019, 16:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Meh, using them on mid-long range engagements makes them pretty bad compared to Volks as their DPS is not that much higher on those ranges and they lose 25% of it per dropped model as opposed to Volks who retain their highest DPS weapon untill the last two models. If you want mid range engagements you're better off with STG Volks, and for long range there's LMG Obers. Then on CQC they get outclassed a lot by STG44 Obers. Which effectively gives them no real use except for ambushes.

You are really underselling their firepower. Yeah, having 4 models with the same weapon makes their DPS drop, but their weapons are basically 4 improved Bars and compared to Volks STG, they have basically double the damage at long range.

They are "Must use cover" units, similar to PG. With the difference that they can engage at any range.

Good thing on looking at the unit, is that after the revamp, i think they overlooked some changes when they modified their vet.

Someone should really take a look at what they really get with vet, specially at vet 4, since in the SBPS files i can't find anything (i still use the file extractor).

Changelog doesn't mention it but they didn't just moved the acc bonus but swap it with the self healing.
7 Jan 2019, 17:14 PM

You are really underselling their firepower. Yeah, having 4 models with the same weapon makes their DPS drop, but their weapons are basically 4 improved Bars and compared to Volks STG, they have basically double the damage at long range.

My point is not that they are bad per sé, but that they don't serve a distinct role. Yes, their long range DPS is much higher than Volks but if I want a long range squad, I'll take some LMG Obers who are cheaper, with higher long range DPS and who benefit from the sustained DPS by having most of it coming from 1 transferable LMG.

Then medium range is already covered by the much more efficient Volksgrenaders with STGs of which you'll have 3-4 squads by default anyway.

Then if you want a CQC squad, you're much better off with STG44 Obers because once again, they are cheaper, with much higher near DPS and they benefit from the sustained DPS by having most of it coming from the 2 transferable STGs.

Which leaves the Falls with nothing special really. They simply do not really have anything to stand out. Which is why I never use them and I rarely see them used by other players.
7 Jan 2019, 18:30 PM

"Which leaves the Falls with nothing special really. They simply do not really have anything to stand out."

this is an oppinion, not a fact.
They are excellent for flanking, ambushing and combined with valiant assault/ airborne assault, they become unkillable terminators
7 Jan 2019, 23:35 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

They are generally good at a timing where you need some more AI but your T4 is far away.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 45
Germany 11
unknown 9
unknown 4
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L