Login

russian armor

Artillery scatter mechanic

3 Jan 2019, 13:08 PM

Hi folks,

I just came back into the game and I've been playing 3v3 and 2v2 with my friends.
Now we like to really make an effort to combine our commanders and I normally go spec ops, because it feels close to mandatory for team games in 3v3 and 4v4.
Now that being said, I'd like to know how artillery scatter is affected by sight abilities.
I do know that scatter gets reduced by sight, but I'd like to know if when I use the leFH to shoot blind into the fog of war the scatter reduces, once I pop arti flares in the middle of one barrage.
Or if it just keeps the scatter it had when it started shooting blind into the FoW even though now it can see.
Obviously it would make a huge difference as I would pop flares before it starts shooting, but it would naturally be better to wait for its barrel to go up and it actually lobbing its first shell ere calling for arti flares.

Cheers
3 Jan 2019, 13:56 PM

Firing in Fog gives +25% scatter penalty, if you are firing close to max range that would probably affect the angular scatter and not linear scatter since that has a max.

As far as I know each shot of the barrage check for FOG penalty.

You can find some info on scatter and diagram here:
https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/231279/a-guide-to-d-p-s-basics#latest
3 Jan 2019, 14:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

The check should be done the moment it's fired. So in your case, the first shell goes with a penalty but the following ones should benefit from the sight.
3 Jan 2019, 15:57 PM

Alright, cheers folks. You helped me a lot!
I really like the leFH and this will hopefully help us :)
3 Jan 2019, 16:38 PM

And so, another artillery hell team game was created.

3 Jan 2019, 17:34 PM

And so, another artillery hell team game was created.

I cant understand how people dont find it entertaining.
Also between us we had a command panther, a tiger, JP4 and something else. The rest we filled up with 4 infantry squads each and then stuka fuß.
I cant find any fault in doing so.
3 Jan 2019, 17:41 PM

I cant understand how people dont find it entertaining.

I enjoy large tank battles and infantry fights, where the one who has superior micro, tactics and/or combined arms use will win. I do not enjoy getting pummeled by random arty shells and eventually losing because some RNG shells happened to wipe my squads and I do not enjoy it when my entire match is spent dodging artillery. Artillery spam is toxic.
3 Jan 2019, 18:01 PM

I was mostly joking in my post about 'artillery hell', but I have played at least 5 games in the last week where my opponents made 4+ LefHs and it's an absolutely unpleasant experience. We won most of them, because at some point someone rages out and goes for a deep dive.

Anyway, if you make 1 LefH then I don't mind. It's the ceaseless screen shaking terraforming spam that becomes absolutely unbearable and has nothing to do with "playing well" since with enough shots, even scatter doesn't matter.

I also dunno how that can be fun since you'd be tying up 60 of your popcap, meaning you'd have like 3-5 other units/squads at most, and unlikely any tanks (unless you're only using stugs, I guess).
3 Jan 2019, 19:43 PM

I didnt have the stuka zu fußes all myself and the enemy started the arti war first, so we had to get an even footing. Once we took down their katys and artis with arti flares from spec ops + fragmentation call in, we just kept pummeling them.
My army composition was:
2x volks
2x obers
1x sturm
1x MG
1x leIG
1x command panther
2x stuka zu fuß
1x püppchen

May not all been at the same time as I lost the leIG and MGs couple times but you get the idea of my composition.
I felt that was very well rounded, especially because my commander cant really call much in except arti flares, so I built like 20 mines on the area we only had lightly defended.

But I cant pretend I dont immensely enjoy 2 1/2 squads getting destroyed by a arti flare + stuka zu fuß.
3 Jan 2019, 23:20 PM

Honestly rocket arty doesn't trigger me 1/20th what a howitzer does, and I was under the impression you were talking about howitzers since you mentioned LefH in your first post.

Stuka requires aiming, positioning, and potentially opens you up to getting dived.

Howitzer in base + screen shake non stop for 5 minutes is the garbage I'm referring to, whether it's a LefH or a ML-20.
3 Jan 2019, 23:40 PM

"Howitzer in base + screen shake non stop for 5 minutes is the garbage I'm referring to, whether it's a LefH or a ML-20."

+1
4 Jan 2019, 02:00 AM

Honestly rocket arty doesn't trigger me 1/20th what a howitzer does, and I was under the impression you were talking about howitzers since you mentioned LefH in your first post.

Stuka requires aiming, positioning, and potentially opens you up to getting dived.

Howitzer in base + screen shake non stop for 5 minutes is the garbage I'm referring to, whether it's a LefH or a ML-20.

Lmao +1
4 Jan 2019, 08:02 AM

Alright, that I totally can understand. We got bumrushed with the enemy having 7 fuel caches and one guy built 5 (?) B4s.
That indeed was no fun.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS