Login

russian armor

Elite Armour Doctrine a bit op?

18 Dec 2018, 20:39 PM

Before you scream at me, I just want to say this is from the perspective of a person who played the doctrine, and because of that thinks its a bit op.
The reasons for this are:
1. The 221 is great if you make it survive. Early game you harras the enemy, and force them to get some at, which weakens their AI. Then you turn this thing into a cache. This gives you the ability to rush puma and Sturmtiger.
2. The Puma with HEAT rounds is godlike. Seriously. The thing takes on medium tanks with ease and if a tank gets snared its dead as the puma with sight outranges it.
3. The Sturmtiger got buffed, but not much. The thing is that it comes out very early and with the puma to repel mediums and lights, you get a powerful anti-infantry unit. Actually its anti-everything as the scout car lets you know where your enemies tanks are, and lets you ambush them with the Sturmtiger. The mobile cache comes into play here. The Sturmtiger comes out early and with the increased fuel supply you get it out very soon.
Maybe its just me but, I won almost all the games I played with this doctrine so far.
18 Dec 2018, 20:46 PM

Only really good thing about the doctrine are HEAT round Pumas...Everything else is underwhelming. So no, I don´t see how this doctrine could be considered OP.
18 Dec 2018, 21:11 PM

The only thing that I can complain about this doc is panzer commander upgrade is so good for KT that I will always build a KT. But sturmtiger will be disabled.
18 Dec 2018, 21:13 PM

I tried pannzer commander upgrade for KT and wasn´t impressed. What do you mean?
18 Dec 2018, 21:52 PM

I tried pannzer commander upgrade for KT and wasn´t impressed. What do you mean?

The sight range boost is impressive. And the call-in artillery could help you deal with AT guns.
18 Dec 2018, 21:59 PM

10% acc boost helps get you more hits as well, especially on infantry clusters/ blobs.

Had a P4 (not KT) fire a shell on the move and hit twice against a retreating squad, I was pretty happy.
18 Dec 2018, 22:03 PM

The sight range boost is impressive. And the call-in artillery could help you deal with AT guns.

That moment when the KT needs off map arty to kill an AT gun
18 Dec 2018, 22:20 PM

10% acc boost helps get you more hits as well, especially on infantry clusters/ blobs.

Had a P4 (not KT) fire a shell on the move and hit twice against a retreating squad, I was pretty happy.

Accuracy has next to no impact on shooting tank guns against infantry. What matters against infantry is scatter and AOE. When tanks shoot at infantry they miss in 99% of the cases because the infantry models are way too small. The accuracy matters against tanks, that´s what it is designed for. The reason why main guns of tanks still do damage despite basically missing every shot against infantry is because of AOE. Scatter means how far a tank can miss when it misses.

So the +10% accuracy matters only really helps when fighting vs vehicles.

The arty ability that the tank commander gives is alright but there are usually other ways of indirect fire available, either doctrinal or Stuka. I didn´t find it to be too useful because AT-guns (which is what it would probably be best used against) aren´t a big thread against the KT anyways. The small sight buff is ok too. Still nothing that would make me want to go Elite Armour in my OKW games.

Panzer Commander just doesn´t fix the main things that hold the KT back: horrible scatter, way too high vet requirements, turret rotation, insanely high pen Allied TDs.
18 Dec 2018, 23:32 PM

Still nothing that would make me want to go Elite Armour in my OKW games

You seem to absolutely underestimate the fuel/ammo boost advantage that a 223 can give, the self-repair ability that repairs 99% hp of light vehicles for 35 muni and a big chunk of tanks (so they can go back into action twice as fast), the Panzer Commander sight range and accuracy bonus and the HEAT shells with +30% damage and pen make some vehicles truly excel (Puma, Panzer IV, Jagdpanzer IV, KT) and have great synergy with other AT weapons (like Faust). And there's the now more user friendly Sturmtiger to troll with in team games.

New Elite Armor used to its full potential gives OKW tanks (and Puma) game changing advantages.
19 Dec 2018, 01:20 AM

The self-repair ability is stupid fast, and very nice in a clutch situation.
19 Dec 2018, 01:22 AM

sturmtiger sucks ass lmao, everything else in the doctrine is really good
19 Dec 2018, 15:55 PM

Sturmtiger is good IMO. The puma counters any tank rushes, so it is free to engage infantry without the threat of dying.
19 Dec 2018, 15:59 PM

Sturmtiger is good IMO. The puma counters any tank rushes, so it is free to engage infantry without the threat of dying.
That is highly debatable as i dont think 2 pumas would stand chances against tank assault. Now I will say that puma is good against early vehicles like t70 and stuart but I would prefer a p4 or panther.

P.S. No I did not forget the heatshells
19 Dec 2018, 16:12 PM

Puma with heat shells is capable of taking on a t 34 if microed properly. Just hit it once, then faust, then proceed to shoot it form afar
19 Dec 2018, 16:42 PM

I love this doctrine on certain maps but it's definitely not OP. And that is how a revamp should always look like
19 Dec 2018, 16:48 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Vanilla pumas are definitely enough to ward off or potentially kill any standard mediums. HEAT pumas are even more reliable in that role.
19 Dec 2018, 16:50 PM

I would say it’s strong but nowhere near OP. To be honest it’s the only reason I play okw now just because its abilities are fun and kinda cool.
19 Dec 2018, 18:10 PM

Pumas with heat have always been a blast. They were even better with the old conversion truck to keep the ammo up, I guess the new 223 helps on that front now.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight