Ranger, BAR's or Tompsons?

Better Ranger upgrade?
Option Distribution Votes
90%
10%
Total votes: 21
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
13 Dec 2018, 17:25 PM

I have been using the Rangers a lot lately with good effect and i have some questions about them.
My question is, what is better? A Ranger squad with 3 BAR's or a ranger squad with Tompsons? Ignoring the ammo cost. Are the BAR's even a good upgrade over the Ranger 1m Carbines?
13 Dec 2018, 17:34 PM

u only get 4 thompson
bar cost more but are better
13 Dec 2018, 17:36 PM

I have been using the Rangers a lot lately with good effect and i have some questions about them.
My question is, what is better? A Ranger squad with 3 BAR's or a ranger squad with Tompsons? Ignoring the ammo cost. Are the BAR's even a good upgrade over the Ranger 1m Carbines?

Bar is superior to M1A1 at all ranges.

Between the Thompson and BAR, BAR becomes better above 20 range.

It mostly comes down to play stay.

I also have to point out that one can equip both Thompson and 1 bar.
13 Dec 2018, 17:41 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Rather have the thompson. Why even get rangers if you will bar them up like any other squad. Better to have one of the best squads in the game at close-mid range.
13 Dec 2018, 18:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 17:41 PMTobis
Rather have the thompson. Why even get rangers if you will bar them up like any other squad. Better to have one of the best squads in the game at close-mid range.

I would say because the Rangers survive very well up close, but even better at mid range.
So giving them bars will give you a really hard to kill really powerfull midrange unit that also performs wel at close range. The Thompsons specialize in close range and not much else.
But i understand where you are comming from melting units at close range with shocks, ranger, etc, is super fun.
13 Dec 2018, 18:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 17:36 PMVipper

Bar is superior to M1A1 at all ranges.

Between the Thompson and BAR, BAR becomes better above 20 range.

It mostly comes down to play stay.

I also have to point out that one can equip both Thompson and 1 bar.

Thank you for the detailed breakdown, does the same go for the paratroopers?
13 Dec 2018, 18:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 17:41 PMTobis

Well if one wants to uses Rangers long range they combine excellent defensive properties and allot of fire power with 3 bars.

0.8 target size (to 0.57 vet 3), 0.9 damage reduction and with 3 bars around 30 DPS at range 35.

For comparison Lmg paras have around 25.2 DPS and that is without counting the extra DPS from BARS scattered shots.

Ranger +3 BARs should are probably better than LMGs paras.

Keep in mind Ranger will start dropping weapons if they have all slots taken after losing 2 models.
13 Dec 2018, 18:14 PM

Thank you for the detailed breakdown, does the same go for the paratroopers?

Glad that I could help.

They use the same Thompson and M1A1
13 Dec 2018, 18:14 PM

Thompsons all the way. Rangers are great for CQB with Riflemen backing them up from medium range. You just spray and pray!
13 Dec 2018, 18:20 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 18:13 PMVipper

Well if one wants to uses Rangers long range they combine excellent defensive properties and allot of fire power with 3 bars.

0.8 target size (to 0.57 vet 3), 0.9 damage reduction and with 3 bars around 30 DPS at range 35.

For comparison Lmg paras have around 25.2 DPS and that is without counting the extra DPS from BARS scattered shots.

Ranger +3 BARs should are probably better than LMGs paras.

Keep in mind Ranger will start dropping weapons if they have all slots taken after losing 2 models.

In my experience riflemen are tanky enough lategame, I'd rather have something that can wipe squads. Longrange units aren't designed to wipe. Better to have riflemen that are pretty good at all ranges while the rangers focus on close-mid where they are wipe machines. The thompsons are also good up to mid range, they have more dps (discounting focus shots) up until range 20. It is a bit map dependent of course.
13 Dec 2018, 18:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 18:20 PMTobis

In my experience riflemen are tanky enough lategame, I'd rather have something that can wipe squads. Longrange units aren't designed to wipe. Better to have riflemen that are pretty good at all ranges while the rangers focus on close-mid where they are wipe machines. The thompsons are also good up to mid range, they have more dps (discounting focus shots) up until range 20. It is a bit map dependent of course.

Thompson is a rather broken weapons since it too good even at mid range as you say.

I simply pointed out that 3 BAR rangers are very good long range (better than lmg paras) and with the damage reduction they come with, they should bleed very little.

I agree about the squad wipe potential of Thompson wielding infantry (and Ppsh shocks as it seems after the patch).
13 Dec 2018, 18:25 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 18:24 PMVipper

Thompson is a rather broken weapons since it too good even at mid range as you say.

I simply pointed out that 3 BAR rangers are very good long range and with damage reduction they come with, they should bleed very little.

I agree about the squad wipe potential of Thompson wielding infantry (and Ppsh shocks as it seems after the patch).

Nah I get you, it's not really a question with a right answer. More about playstyle and preference.
13 Dec 2018, 18:26 PM

it depends on multiple factors for me,
First of all do i have enough mun for tripple browning or should i give my Rifles another one.
Then did i loose a rifle and want to replace him by playing the same style?
Does the enemy have support weapons i can flank and get into cqc or do ihave to stand i green cover frontally?
Rangers with Thompson are no good if you get pinned all the time trying to get close.
Another importent factor is the time of the game rangers die Pretty fast if they have no vet and the enemy has vetted sqads, then Closing in can hurt.
The optimal Scenario for rangers IMO is when both Players did loose some inf lategame and you seek to replace your Rifles with "premium" infantry
13 Dec 2018, 18:35 PM

No reason to get Rangers if you won't buy them Thompsons.
13 Dec 2018, 18:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2018, 18:25 PMTobis

Nah I get you, it's not really a question with a right answer. More about playstyle and preference.

Actually I usually get Thompson and BAR and pick it up with another squad when they vetted and drop it :)

Play-style preference and map :)
13 Dec 2018, 19:34 PM

3 Bar not good for offensive Role than 4 Thompson but good for defensive on cover hold the line role
and eat twice Munition than Thompson and need back to base to grab it
unlike field upgrade Thompson
And Bar long DPS lower than LMG dps at long range and Thompson it can beat
weaking point Lmg at close range easy than Bar
But I vote 3 Bar ok :3
13 Dec 2018, 19:54 PM

3 Bars are "better" but putting that much muni into a single squad typically isn't cost effective. Plus you have your LT/Capt and Rifles to put Bars on so Thompsons make more sense imo.
13 Dec 2018, 20:04 PM

The margin of improvement from "Ranger" M1 Carbine to BAR is much smaller than M1 Garand to BAR. It's much less cost-effective.

Kind of an interesting part of US Weapon Racks is the weapon is always equally good, no matter who's holding it*. That means Rear Echelon Squads benefit the most from upgrades, and elite infantry the least.

*exception for Paras with bazookas, and also vet bonuses

Kind of reminds me of my friend who was happy he stole a BAR with a Fallschirmjager Squad and I had to break it to him that he actually just lost firepower.
13 Dec 2018, 20:40 PM

4 thompsons + bar.
13 Dec 2018, 20:42 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

No one has even mentioned the weapon drop potential is super high when you have 3 bars equipped.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★