Login

russian armor

Mines in COH2

3 Dec 2018, 15:37 PM

There's something that needs to be changed about the mines in this game. They do not counter blobs as having just one guy with sweeper in that blob enables the whole tactical group to run through a minefield. You can comfortably sit park your tank on top of one as long as your engineers supervising this with a sweeper in hand. Currently the only thing that they achieve is fighting against over extending tank pushes and dropping models from lone infantry squads capping territories by themselves.

Why isn't the squad with the sweeper the only one that doesn't trigger the mine? Please stop catering to the blobbing noobs in order to develop the gameplay further.

Ps. Pls separate AI and AT mines for all factions. :gimpy:
3 Dec 2018, 16:00 PM

It would be too static gameplay, if mines, once placed, have all to be removed by minesweeper, before something can move again in this area.
3 Dec 2018, 16:04 PM

One issues is that UKF/USF can equip both minesweepers and weapons. Imo that option should be simply removed.
3 Dec 2018, 16:08 PM

They could still be removed by shooting with tanks, mortars etc if visible. Even now S-minefields can be easily disposed by just landing one shot in the middle making them useless as you can literally see them without sweepers.

The argument for making the game too static is a valid one but then again, this would in my opinion be more of a problem in the lower rank games. And if people would just end up spending all their munis into mines it could easily be balanced by changing the cost. In my mind this beats the currently dominating superior blobbing tactics.
3 Dec 2018, 16:19 PM

Other argument is, that on some terrain, mines are optically nearly not visible. It would be hard to maneuver a tank around them, even if you know there is some, especially with the bad pathfinding of coh2.

Edit: And attacking mines with tanks: Bad idea, when enemy is waiting there for example with tank destroyers, and you have first to shoot mines infront of them with your tanks.
3 Dec 2018, 16:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2018, 16:04 PMVipper
One issues is that UKF/USF can equip both minesweepers and weapons. Imo that option should be simply removed.

I´ve got some bad news for you, if you think these are the only 2 factions to enjoy that privilege.
3 Dec 2018, 16:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2018, 16:19 PMLoxley
Other argument is, that on some terrain, mines are optically nearly not visible. It would be hard to maneuver a tank around them, even if you know there is some, especially with the bad pathfinding of coh2.

Edit: And attacking mines with tanks: Bad idea, when enemy is waiting there for example with tank destroyers, and you have first to shoot mines infront of them with your tanks.

I think having the map knowledge of knowing few good mine spots is minor negative compared to the total effect of making mines more useful against super aggressive plays and blobbing. And these minespots would become common knowledge so that should balance that out soon.

Shooting mines with AFT instead of using sweepers or ID fire when you know enemy is waiting with AT sounds a lot like an L2P issue and not a balance one. ;)
3 Dec 2018, 16:53 PM

It is fine as it is now, and map knowledge is no thing anymore. Nearly everyone here has played around 10.000 games.
3 Dec 2018, 16:56 PM

I´ve got some bad news for you, if you think these are the only 2 factions to enjoy that privilege.

That it neither news nor bad.

Soviet, Ostheer and OKW do not have access to weapon rack so they can not equip both weapons minesweepers unless some units drops a weapon, so it is actually a UKF/USF privilege in most cases.

Imo minesweepers taking up all weapon slots and providing an XP bonus (either for repairs or constructions) would be fine.
3 Dec 2018, 16:57 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2018, 16:53 PMLoxley
It is fine as it is now, and map knowledge is no thing anymore. Nearly everyone here has played around 10.000 games.

I disagree. Running blobs through minefields is not fine.
3 Dec 2018, 17:17 PM

I think the revealing mechanic is fine as it is; it generally takes enough time & effort to equip 1~2 sweeper squads and to get them around the map to where they need to be, during which time your mine has already accomplished it's area denial role. If you're trying to stop a blob, try the normal blob-punishing tools like MGs or call-ins.

On the other hand, I do think that the time, effort, & munitions cost of planting the things can really not be worth it in some cases even when they are triggered. Imagine planting two USF riflemen mines for 60 muni on a quiet side of the map. There's a loong time your rifle squads are out of the fight, only for the mines to trigger on the same Pioneer / Volks squad and drop 3 models. That's a terrible munitions / manpower trade, and you don't even stop the squad, it just caps a couple points and retreats anyway. Same for e.g. Sturmpio mines catching conscripts, it's basically a waste of time and munitions.

A very specific case maybe, and they're way better than the squad-wiping machines they were a long time ago, but still think they could spread a bit more damage around the squad even if the OHK is limited to two models.
3 Dec 2018, 19:21 PM

How about making other MGs than just the 42s an actual counter to blobs, rather than food for it, instead of making a change that might create a ton of balance problems and still hardly help with anything
3 Dec 2018, 19:26 PM

As if Mg42 would not be overrun by blobs..
3 Dec 2018, 19:40 PM

If one Mg doesnt make the job, its time to get another one... and another one, and another one! (*laughs in maxim spam*)
3 Dec 2018, 20:03 PM

I like mines right now. They are excellent help in the defense of positions, the only thing that would be cool PMD-6 mines were set as a minefield (like German). And mine PMD-6M (light anti-tank mines) its after war modification, replaced by TMD-40 mines (Make a copy from German Rigel mine)
11 Dec 2018, 19:23 PM

SOV : Flamethrower + Minesweeper
OST : Flamethrower + Minesweeper
UKF : Minesweeper + Weapon Rack (No Flamethrower)
USF : Minesweeper + Weapon Rack (No Flamethrower)
OKW : Minesweeper + Panzershrek (No Flamethrower)

You are correct!

Should remove Flamethrower and weapon rack upgrades from allied minesweeping engineers.

OST and OKW can keep their minesweeper + Flame + Panzershrek upgrades because...
They are racially superior. Yea, that's it :D
11 Dec 2018, 21:06 PM

SOV : Flamethrower + Minesweeper
OST : Flamethrower + Minesweeper
UKF : Minesweeper + Weapon Rack (No Flamethrower)
USF : Minesweeper + Weapon Rack (No Flamethrower)
OKW : Minesweeper + Panzershrek (No Flamethrower)

You are correct!

Should remove Flamethrower and weapon rack upgrades from allied minesweeping engineers.

OST and OKW can keep their minesweeper + Flame + Panzershrek upgrades because...
They are racially superior. Yea, that's it :D

You do know he is absolutely being incorrect or were you being sarcastic.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★