Login

russian armor

CoH & AoE4 coming to Xbox?

4 Nov 2018, 13:22 PM
4 Nov 2018, 13:53 PM

How on earth do you wanna play CoH on a XBox controller? It only worked with Halo Wars cuz the strategic depth was a lot more simple and there was way less micro management.
4 Nov 2018, 13:57 PM
Donator 22

nice, why not, with mouse and keyboard….
4 Nov 2018, 13:57 PM

How on earth do you wanna play CoH on a XBox controller? It only worked with Halo Wars cuz the strategic depth was a lot more simple and there was way less micro management.

I guess similarly to Ancestors Legacy.
4 Nov 2018, 14:58 PM

I would say that because of how console controls are handled, console RTS games such as Army Men RTS, Halo Wars and as people have put forth concerns for Iron Harvest as well have dumbed down gameplay to make it easier on the person behind the controller.

So I guess it's possible for CoH and other RTS games to be on consoles as well but they'll require a huge redesign in my opinion in order to be accessible to console players.

But that will of course mean entirely different games, so no cross platform play which will again, cut down in player numbers.

It's my personal belief that whoever is interested in RTS games has a PC already, so trying to appease the console playerbase is just a cheap marketing trick to get some more money, nothing more.

That's also the reason why I'm following Iron Harvest but haven't gotten it yet, the game looks extremely good, is fully funded on kickstarter (1.5 million) and has gameplay very close to that of CoH, but being on consoles, being on the Unity engine and looking a bit too much like CoH2 at least graphical wise put me on the fence for it.
4 Nov 2018, 15:23 PM
Donator 11

I mean Keyboard support for Xbox and even PlayStation has always kinda been a thing thats been requested. Another thing that could happen would be the reverse of what some Xbox games can do already and that is to stream/play from xbox to your PC.We could get the opposite where you stream PC to Xbox with Windows 10 style apps but again this is simply just an announcement that devs can force keyboard support.

Whats ACTUALLY worrisome out of this would be the idea that the game would only be available on MS Storefront which would already mean ded game on launch similar to their relaunched AOE1.

It could also simply just be MS backed Relic development and this is just a showcase, I somewhere remember there being a comment from Quinn Duffy regarding CoH on a xbox/ps and it seemed unlikely.
4 Nov 2018, 16:11 PM

By the time these games release for consoles we will probably have full M&KB support.

4 Nov 2018, 16:45 PM

if it has Halo Wars 2 or StarCraft clone trooper Animations, then No thx
4 Nov 2018, 19:40 PM
Senior Editor Badge

How on earth do you wanna play CoH on a XBox controller?

New Xbox Update to support mouse+keyboard:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/10/15/new-preview-alpha-ring-1811-update-10-15-18/
4 Nov 2018, 21:24 PM

If this is true and will happen then COH3 and AOE4 will be a HUGE pile of pudding.
Isn't it enough that MS will (probably) sale AOE4 only on Windows store, they want to totally fu@# this game (and COH3)?
Consols and RTS games don't match.

After reading this info I only want to puke!

Freaking cash grabbing, milking every game and gamer, greedy cooperations!
4 Nov 2018, 21:30 PM

If this is true and will happen then COH3 and AOE4 will be a HUGE pile of pudding.
Isn't it enough that MS will (probably) sale AOE4 only on Windows store, they want to totally fu@# this game (and COH3)?
Consols and RTS games don't match.

After reading this info I only want to puke!

Freaking cash grabbing, milking every game and gamer, greedy cooperations!

Just wait until Sega finds out that mobile market equals big money for low effort.

Blizzard already found out with Diablo Immortal :romeoHype:
4 Nov 2018, 21:53 PM

Just wait until Sega finds out that mobile market equals big money for low effort.

Blizzard already found out with Diablo Immortal :romeoHype:

As Janice, the ex-girlfriend from Chandler (look at my avatar) would say...
OH MY GOD!!!

4 Nov 2018, 22:52 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

What's also scary about this is that they have a total of 2 titles on console ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Relic_Entertainment_games

So its largely uncharted territory for them, but you can't really blame them for wanting a piece of the pie that is console gaming.
4 Nov 2018, 23:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Nov 2018, 22:52 PMTric
What's also scary about this is that they have a total of 2 titles on console ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Relic_Entertainment_games

So its largely uncharted territory for them, but you can't really blame them for wanting a piece of the pie that is console gaming.

Frankly speaking I don't think anyone is seriously looking forward to either game.

For mw personally I'm just waiting for MS to make the AoE3 DE and bring it along with their Halo games to Steam, and mod support for the workshop of CoH, tools would be nice as well.

Apart from that yeah... Maybe the aforementioned Iron Harvest.

It's sadly dark times for RTS games, no longer are times during the mid 2000s when companies had customers in mind, it's all about the money now.
4 Nov 2018, 23:22 PM

CoH3 is going to be Halo Wars 3 :snfPeter:

5 Nov 2018, 01:27 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

Frankly speaking I don't think anyone is seriously looking forward to either game.

For mw personally I'm just waiting for MS to make the AoE3 DE and bring it along with their Halo games to Steam, and mod support for the workshop of CoH, tools would be nice as well.

Apart from that yeah... Maybe the aforementioned Iron Harvest.

It's sadly dark times for RTS games, no longer are times during the mid 2000s when companies had customers in mind, it's all about the money now.

Yah. The hype for AoE4 has long since faded. HOWEVER I am very excited for the wc3 remaster.
5 Nov 2018, 08:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Nov 2018, 01:27 AMTric

Yah. The hype for AoE4 has long since faded. HOWEVER I am very excited for the wc3 remaster.

Why?
The only reason you'd be excited for WC3 would be if you literally never played it before.
Its massively wasted opportunity to get WC4 out, but since RTS (that aren't made by blizzard) aren't top sellers anymore, why make something new, when you can literally re-heat in a microwave 18 year old meal and sell it again.

Blizzard is gone, the games of old are gone and never coming back as well, remasters when everyone calls for continuation are lazy cash grabs and people being hyped for them are to blame for that practice equally as the lazy developers.
5 Nov 2018, 11:27 AM

Why?
The only reason you'd be excited for WC3 would be if you literally never played it before.
Its massively wasted opportunity to get WC4 out, but since RTS (that aren't made by blizzard) aren't top sellers anymore, why make something new, when you can literally re-heat in a microwave 18 year old meal and sell it again.

Blizzard is gone, the games of old are gone and never coming back as well, remasters when everyone calls for continuation are lazy cash grabs and people being hyped for them are to blame for that practice equally as the lazy developers.

All we wanted was Dawn of War on Dawn of War 2's engine, instead we got the MOBA/RTS hybrid "continuation" in Dawn of War 3.

Why do you think Iron Harvest's devs are looking at tried and tested game mechanics instead of trying to completely reinvent the wheel and catter to the new generation of mindless MOBA kiddies that argue about who stole who's kill why someone died and which lane to take, in other words complete and utter childish bullshit.

Sometimes applying a fresh coat of paint and looking a bit back to see what worked and what didn't is the best route to take.
5 Nov 2018, 11:45 AM

All we wanted was Dawn of War on Dawn of War 2's engine, instead we got the MOBA/RTS hybrid "continuation" in Dawn of War 3.

Why do you think Iron Harvest's devs are looking at tried and tested game mechanics instead of trying to completely reinvent the wheel and catter to the new generation of mindless MOBA kiddies that argue about who stole who's kill why someone died and which lane to take, in other words complete and utter childish bullshit.

Sometimes applying a fresh coat of paint and looking a bit back to see what worked and what didn't is the best route to take.

Oh yeah, tried and tested worked flawlessly for Ancestors Legacy, which is literally CoH with swords.

Let me use an example here:

SC2 was very lazy continuation to SC1 with barely anything altered or added.
SC2 coop commanders is what could be the direction, with more sub factions and interesting perks.

Instead they just copied all of SC1, changed 1-3 units depending on expansion, refreshed graphichs(which still was dated already the day it released) and called it a day.

A minimum effort was put into SC2 multiplayer compared to SC1, but there was still something new to play with.

WC3 is just lazy texture swap and probably some QOL changes, no one wanted that, no one gave a shit, people wanted actual continuation with either new factions or current but enhanced with new/different units/mechanics/heroes/maps.

Only most nostalgia driven drones will be fully content with "new" WC3 instead of WC4.

Its not going to be a game to bring in new players to RTS genre, its a lazy fan service for people who can't let go off nostalgia for early 2000 years.

Sadly, RTS as a genre is dead and blizzard wanted easy buck here, which they will get with their cult-like followers who will swallow everything as long as the logo is on it.

That includes lol Diablo Immortal.
5 Nov 2018, 16:25 PM

Oh yeah, tried and tested worked flawlessly for Ancestors Legacy, which is literally CoH with swords.

Let me use an example here:

SC2 was very lazy continuation to SC1 with barely anything altered or added.
SC2 coop commanders is what could be the direction, with more sub factions and interesting perks.

Instead they just copied all of SC1, changed 1-3 units depending on expansion, refreshed graphichs(which still was dated already the day it released) and called it a day.

A minimum effort was put into SC2 multiplayer compared to SC1, but there was still something new to play with.

WC3 is just lazy texture swap and probably some QOL changes, no one wanted that, no one gave a shit, people wanted actual continuation with either new factions or current but enhanced with new/different units/mechanics/heroes/maps.

Only most nostalgia driven drones will be fully content with "new" WC3 instead of WC4.

Its not going to be a game to bring in new players to RTS genre, its a lazy fan service for people who can't let go off nostalgia for early 2000 years.

Sadly, RTS as a genre is dead and blizzard wanted easy buck here, which they will get with their cult-like followers who will swallow everything as long as the logo is on it.

That includes lol Diablo Immortal.

Where the hell do you see CoH's cover and suppression systems at work in pseudo-medieval times? Plus CoH doesn't have melee, instead it has tanks, artillery and so forth.

I played Ancestors Legacy and literally the only 2 things both games share are the squads and retreat mechanic, nothing else. Flanking isn't really something CoH is unique for since many other games like the Total War series have it as well. But I will admit I am part of the crowd that compared to game to both CoH and Total War, I actually liked the concept of a hybrid game but it turned out to be a huge disappointment, but then again something like this has never been attempted before, taking CoH's squads, base building (sort of), retreat mechanic and Total War's formations, melee combat and scale (again, sort of) and combining them. So no wonder it failed, it was the first ever attempt at something like it, maybe they'll learn from it in the future, maybe not, hell if I know.

But I don't think it's a fair comparison, Iron Harvest is however since both CoH and it feature infantry, weapon teams and vehicles, mechs in IH's case and tanks in CoH's case, cover system, retreat system and so on but at the core, they feature the same gameplay and mechanics so apart from graphics and era, they're almost 1:1 like Supreme Commander is a spiritual successor to Total Annihilation, even tho a lot of TA veterans say they don't like it I still do.

As for StarCraft specifically, I played little of the original but I couldn't stand it's ugly 2D graphics and sprite animations, same for AoE and AoE2. But regardless, in my opinion StarCraft 2 did a lot to improve, sure they used the same base design for the factions and overall game but both games play differently, and it becomes even more obvious if you try out the Mass Recall mod for SC2 where you can basically replay the original campaign ported over to the new game which is fantastic in my opinion. That's another point, modding support, StarCraft 2 allows for more, bigger and an easier time to distribute mods and custom maps compared to the original, plus you could also use the game to play in third person for example thanks to the 3D graphics.

And lastly about WC3 and it's remaster, I never really played WC3 because while the craze for it was going on even in 2006 I was busy with CoH instead and I would say that maybe they don't have any other new ideas or don't see how they could improve upon it, or maybe they're just too scared to make something new as to not ruin the series like how DoW3 did.

IBM also sold it's hardware part of the company back in 2005/2006 over to the Chinese, which now basically sell the same laptops albeit a bit changed and under a different label, my dad says is because they thought they couldn't improve it any further and enough was enough, in which I see some sense in.

You can't force people to be creative, love or have fun, if it doesn't come naturally to you then it might be a better idea not to do it at all unless you risk losing a lot which is what I think Blizzard did and is currently continuing to do.

So in the end, I don't see anything wrong in sticking to your guns, if you're good at something keep doing it, if you wanna try something new but see that someone else already tried and failed perhaps it's a better idea to experiment with something else or take a different route to achieve the same thing. Easier example is Team Fortress 2 and it's "clones", namely Overwatch, which unironically happens to be developed by Blizzard, Dirty Bomb, which is somehow still alive as well as Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare which I still think last reported still had fairly populated servers running.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★