Login

russian armor

CoH & AoE4 coming to Xbox?

5 Nov 2018, 17:04 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

RTS can be on consoles and still be good, while not be dumb'ed down. Look at CnC 3's, there are a lot of pull up menus for a game based around mass production. AoE is a pretty simple RTS, not really any 'abilites,' just different units. For CoH, there is enough buttons for abilites. Most units may only have two to three abilites. A Vet 1 ability, grenade, and something else. For directional movement, on PC you click, hold, and move. Why not the same on console? For attack move in CnC, it was double click. Retreat could easily be a click in on a stick as well as reverse move to a location.

RTS on consoles are not damn to mediocrity. In a game like CoH where you are not mass producing on everything or micro'ing economy, this maybe the best situation for an RTS to be on a console. The only thing I would say is Relic's poor creation on DoW3.
5 Nov 2018, 17:18 PM

RTS on consoles are not damn to mediocrity. In a game like CoH where you are not mass producing on everything or micro'ing economy, this maybe the best situation for an RTS to be on a console. The only thing I would say is Relic's poor creation on DoW3.

RTS games require accurate and quick inputs, devices like controllers are exceptionally bad at providing this. Why force something to work when its gonna end up as shit anyway?
5 Nov 2018, 18:30 PM

i would like to see COH series on xbox one
5 Nov 2018, 21:18 PM

RTS can be on consoles and still be good, while not be dumb'ed down. Look at CnC 3's, there are a lot of pull up menus for a game based around mass production. AoE is a pretty simple RTS, not really any 'abilites,' just different units. For CoH, there is enough buttons for abilites. Most units may only have two to three abilites. A Vet 1 ability, grenade, and something else. For directional movement, on PC you click, hold, and move. Why not the same on console? For attack move in CnC, it was double click. Retreat could easily be a click in on a stick as well as reverse move to a location.

+Red Alert, the first one was on old PSX and it did worked perfectly fine, obviously you couldn't pull certain micro maneuvers, but you still could order crush infantry or scatter or defend orders without any problem and it worked on pad.
I'm talking first PSX pad, without analogs, and it worked.

KKND was also very much playable, not very good compared to PC counterpart, but playable and worked.

Z was very slow one, but that one worked well too.

So did Warcraft 2.

And Warzone 2100.

Oh there was also Dune 2.

Some of them even had control groups(WZ2100, KKND and RA).

Come to think of it, there were plenty of console RTS mainstream titles which functioned perfectly fine with completely zero streamlining of consoles or circle menus for fast picks.
5 Nov 2018, 23:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

REAL RTS which are not dumb down, can't never work on a joystick. The only solution is forcing mouse and keyboard to be played or simplify/dumb down the game.
Imagine trying to dodge a rifle grenade on a squad which is on the other side of the map. Try to use USF tank's smoke. CoH requires too much input fineness for a joystick to be able to accommodate.

Same with AoE. The formula is simple, but the execution is hard. Try to early scout with sheeps, while you are pushing deer towards your TC or trying to lame the enemy boar with bodyblocking scouts. Kitting with ranged units, attack ground with onagers, building quick palisades to protect your wood/gold/stone lines.

I agree and disagree with several points.

I think you are talking through the PoV of an RTS enthusiast and not as a SC, WC3 (WC2 was just an 90s old model RTS) or even Blizzard fanboy.

While you consider SC2 a lazy continuation, i think that it was mostly what most people expected from the game. New engine, improved and refreshed mechanics, graphics, UI, etc. Arcade/mod tools and a campaign. During it's first years it was still king and the downfall was half part due to a slow and bad balance (zerg infestor meta) and the overall declive of RTS to more casual friendly games and the rise of the MOBAs. Esport side is a bit more deep to talk about.
Coop kept the game afloat in regards to the casual public and probably the best call (at least economically) for them.

The WC3 remaster was just the logical next step after they made BW remaster and the recent interest in the game (WC3 1.29 patch). Unless something is been cooked behind the scenes and a big shift on the market, it's gonna take a long time before any new real RTS is been delivered by Blizzard. WC3 RE is the best expectations you can have for a future release of WC4.
WC3 RE is basically AoE2 HD which i hope with a better implementation than HD (people just went back to Voobly).

WC3 RE is something people want. Diablo Mobile is an abomination aimed towards the Chinese/Casual market.

Regarding Blizzard, yeah you are right. The old guard is slowly fading away and the old dogma "gameplay first, commit to quality" started to be forgotten couple of years ago. While the golden chicken (OW) is been treat well, that is not the case for other IPs. Those IP are probably better treat than most of other games/companies but nowadays it seems that money matter more. Not even high profit HS seems to be able to draw resources in order to improve it.

5 Nov 2018, 23:32 PM

Exactly, I talk as RTS enthusiast and not blizzard fanboy.

This is why I am disappointed with WC3 reforged

My beef with SC2 was lack of improving existing formula at all in any way, whole SC2 is just story continuation in modern standard and the same, old multiplayer on even repeated maps with couple of new units and QoL changes.

There is no denying that SC2 runs better, but mechanically its the exact same SC1, just pretty and with couple of gimmicks(like reapers or colossus).

And yeah, we sadly could see WC3 remaster coming from a mile away thanks to umm popularity? Reception? Of BW remaster.

Overall, I absolutely despise remasters. They bring nothing new to the old player and while they maybe be more popular with younger generation(lets face it, if WC3 remaster will be any kind of success, it'll be exclusively due to marketing to the existing population who is addicted to blizzard just like hipsters to apple products as RTS as a genre is in decay and Relic didn't helped much with DoW3 and its early abandonment).

I don't agree that WC3 is something people want.
People want WC4.
But they will get WC3 solely because of nostalgia.

You know gaming is in shit place when nostalgia releases are popular and modern games are not games, but playable programs to generate as much revenue for publisher as it is possible.

Yes, I'm salty now.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 56
Poland 10
United States 16
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L