Login

russian armor

Help a Wehrmacht noob deal with RE blobs

10 Oct 2018, 03:42 AM

Used a standard 3 grenadier opening against a bizarre USF build order that consisted of nothing but rear echelons and a mortar. Early game was good (or so I thought) until his AA halftrack came out and then his RE blobs with weapon rack upgrades came charging in. Tried to get rid of his halftrack with a Pak but it got destroyed twice, and it was all downhill from there.

I felt that I had an advantage early on. Any tips on what went wrong, or how to deal with this no-rifle build? Thanks!
10 Oct 2018, 06:25 AM

Used a standard 3 grenadier opening against a bizarre USF build order that consisted of nothing but rear echelons and a mortar. Early game was good (or so I thought) until his AA halftrack came out and then his RE blobs with weapon rack upgrades came charging in. Tried to get rid of his halftrack with a Pak but it got destroyed twice, and it was all downhill from there.

I felt that I had an advantage early on. Any tips on what went wrong, or how to deal with this no-rifle build? Thanks!

MG spam. Otherwise, instead of opening with 3 grenadiers, go 3 MGs or 2 MGs and 1 Gren OR 1 MG 2 Grens
10 Oct 2018, 12:31 PM

MG spam. Otherwise, instead of opening with 3 grenadiers, go 3 MGs or 2 MGs and 1 Gren OR 1 MG 2 Grens
They are rear echelons if USF player sees MG spam he will just tech smoke
10 Oct 2018, 12:52 PM
Donator 11

You need to win early game with gren spam or gren spam + sniper if you know how to use it. In fact it is enough to cut them off one resource: munitions. That way they won't be able to buy upgrades so quickly and you win pretty much automatically. You can also use your early advantage to gain more fuel and rush for the mediums.

Against AA HT, I would recommend going for double 222. Yes, they are not exactly great against infantry, but they are very cheap and do a short work with rushed AA HT, especially if you are able to flank it. The lack of snare in RE spam build should make your 222s much more potent than normally and forcing your opponent into zooks instead of bars can go a long way into improving effectivness of your grenadier blob. If you find yourself unable to perform double 222 strat, just go for a pak or two, but always keep them close to the gren blob so you can defend and potentially recapture the gun.
10 Oct 2018, 14:00 PM
Senior Referee Badge

I'm not a very good ost player, but i would go normal 3 gren and maybe double mg. Don't go for sniper imo, bcs you can't bleed a player that only has re squads. High chance he goes for zooks on one or two re's so i'd say double 222 isn't the best options. I gues a pak in combination with a flamer halftrack would still work, maybe even if the half track gives a lot of trouble you could go for puma in combination with the flame halftrack to keep the re's at distance as there bars become less good in that way. If he made a lot of 50cals i gues one mortar for smoke would help.

Command p4 is very good against infantry so it would rek his re's. Idk what he went as first tank?
Anyways hope this is a bit helpfull :)
10 Oct 2018, 15:17 PM

Wait a second. Is his opponent an infamous CODGUY himself? Didnt he spammed about how USF is useless and boring?

Sorry for off-topic, just passing-by
10 Oct 2018, 15:57 PM

Try fight manpower army with manpower army, go like 5 gren 2 MG 1 or 2 AT and maybe keep some panic button just incase so you can produce more manpower army

PS.Your tank might come more late than usual, but i believe your infantry should put enough pressure to secure your mid game
10 Oct 2018, 20:22 PM
11 Oct 2018, 03:56 AM

You need to win early game with gren spam or gren spam + sniper if you know how to use it. In fact it is enough to cut them off one resource: munitions. That way they won't be able to buy upgrades so quickly and you win pretty much automatically. You can also use your early advantage to gain more fuel and rush for the mediums.

Against AA HT, I would recommend going for double 222. Yes, they are not exactly great against infantry, but they are very cheap and do a short work with rushed AA HT, especially if you are able to flank it. The lack of snare in RE spam build should make your 222s much more potent than normally and forcing your opponent into zooks instead of bars can go a long way into improving effectivness of your grenadier blob. If you find yourself unable to perform double 222 strat, just go for a pak or two, but always keep them close to the gren blob so you can defend and potentially recapture the gun.

REs can build anti-vehicle mines, this is a snare itself if i'm not wrong. For the cost of 10 munitions each, a USF player can cover the whole map with those
11 Oct 2018, 14:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips! Interesting that we get such a variety of ideas! I’ll try them out.
11 Oct 2018, 18:14 PM

You played very well for only your 6th game as Wehrmacht. Your opponent however was also very skilled and very experienced. RE spam is a very risky tactic and relies a lot on quick map control early on to get enough munitons to properly equip the REs. If they do not get their upgrades quick enough they will get steam rolled by much better Axis infantry.
11 Oct 2018, 21:30 PM

REs can build anti-vehicle mines, this is a snare itself if i'm not wrong. For the cost of 10 munitions each, a USF player can cover the whole map with those

AFAIK no, unless they stack or something that wasn't in the patch notes, it's not a snare - it just slows the enemy vehicles down for 8 seconds.

I posted some tips here for ya: https://www.coh2.org/replay/83397/wrecked-by-usf-re-blobs/page/1#post_id703992

This is all very good advice :) especially attack-move and using cover on grens; RE can only really hurt you up close due to their awful accuracy, so if you micro well with your grens you can usually beat them

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2018, 18:14 PMCODGUY
You played very well for only your 6th game as Wehrmacht. Your opponent however was also very skilled and very experienced. RE spam is a very risky tactic and relies a lot on quick map control early on to get enough munitons to properly equip the REs. If they do not get their upgrades quick enough they will get steam rolled by much better Axis infantry.

Nice complimenting yourself ;D

11 Oct 2018, 21:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips! Interesting that we get such a variety of ideas! I’ll try them out.

At this level I'd recommend focusing on your own strategy and micro far more than your opponent's. At this level simply having stronger fundamentals will usually carry you through: remember the matchmaker's trying to give you opponents of about your skill level.

I posted some useful links on the replay itself if you're interested.
11 Oct 2018, 23:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2018, 21:30 PMLago

At this level I'd recommend focusing on your own strategy and micro far more than your opponent's. At this level simply having stronger fundamentals will usually carry you through: remember the matchmaker's trying to give you opponents of about your skill level.

That’s good advice. I’m definitely aware that there are many low-hanging fruits I could improve on in my own gameplay. Those links you posted are awesome. I’ve been watching them in my spare time. Now the tough part is to incorporate these tips and tricks into my game :D
13 Oct 2018, 03:10 AM

Lol no wonder CODGUY thinks usf is so weak if he only makes REs.
jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2018, 21:30 PMLago

+1

Also, double 222 would counter the AAHT pretty well since he won't have AT riflenades as ferwiner already stated. If he panics and gets a bunch of bazookas your infantry will steamroll his super easily, so that'd even be a plus for you. If you made it far enough to get a P4 you'd probably annihilate him.
13 Oct 2018, 18:13 PM

Lol no wonder CODGUY thinks usf is so weak if he only makes REs.

+1

Also, double 222 would counter the AAHT pretty well since he won't have AT riflenades as ferwiner already stated. If he panics and gets a bunch of bazookas your infantry will steamroll his super easily, so that'd even be a plus for you. If you made it far enough to get a P4 you'd probably annihilate him.

Good point. I guess I’ve only used 222 against snipers. Didn’t know they’re good against AAHT too!
13 Oct 2018, 19:30 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Good point. I guess I’ve only used 222 against snipers. Didn’t know they’re good against AAHT too!

They arn't really. You need to either catch the AAHT out of position on the move, or swarm with at least 2. Going in with 1 and the halftrack is stationary you'll get destroyed.
13 Oct 2018, 19:54 PM
Donator 11

They arn't really. You need to either catch the AAHT out of position on the move, or swarm with at least 2. Going in with 1 and the halftrack is stationary you'll get destroyed.

Considering that 2 222s cost around the same as AAHT and you will lose at most one in the process, you can actually consider that a cost effective counter.
13 Oct 2018, 20:59 PM

Considering that 2 222s cost around the same as AAHT and you will lose at most one in the process, you can actually consider that a cost effective counter.

+1

They also counter AEC pretty hard IIRC, especially since it has abysmal on the move accuracy.
15 Oct 2018, 08:46 AM

Hey man.

You have already gotten a lot of great advice here, so I would just finish off by beating my own drum, and link to the guide I've written with the specific focus of helping inexperienced players getting a better grasp of the fundamentals :D

https://www.coh2.org/guides/70864/from-recruit-to-veteran
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS