Login

russian armor

Mortar Vet 3

3 Oct 2018, 11:34 AM

I'd just like to suggest that the mortar vet 3 bonus on most mortars be shifted from +30% accuracy to +30% rate of fire - or 20% if 30 is too much.

The way I see it is that mortars are not just indirect fire meant to take out individual stationary targets,they are also have saturation utility in which they hit targets in a large area.
In a lot of cases I feel the +30% accuracy is actually detrimental to the mortars job.

One example of this is bombarding a bofors emplacement. Without vet, the mortar will not only be a threat to the bofors, but also to the repair crews as the mortar barrage can scatter(no pun intended) around a bit. With vet, this actually becomes less an issue for the repair teams as they can either move to the side not being barraged, or if the barrage is on the center, avoid taking hits entirely.

Anyone else agree or if not, is this just an unfounded issue?
3 Oct 2018, 12:46 PM

Your point about the repair unit actually does make sense.
3 Oct 2018, 12:46 PM

I think it's a preference thing. Accuracy allows to pin team weapons faster and punish opponent if he doesn't pay attention. I guess both options are equally good but you can't have both.
3 Oct 2018, 12:53 PM

I think it's a preference thing. Accuracy allows to pin team weapons faster and punish opponent if he doesn't pay attention. I guess both options are equally good but you can't have both.

Well, both rate of fire and accuracy would increase DPS against a single target at a similar ratio. The difference is that increasing accuracy limits its use in saturation, increasing rate of fire keeps it while upping the DPS against single targets as well.
3 Oct 2018, 13:01 PM

mortars are not the counter to emplacements (not a hard counter anyway), use ATGs to do that.
3 Oct 2018, 13:12 PM

bwtter accuracy means more consistent usability. something most people here crave for. they dont like RN>G
3 Oct 2018, 13:22 PM

mortars are not the counter to emplacements (not a hard counter anyway), use ATGs to do that.

How do you imagine ATG'ing a mortar pit that's behind a garisson or shot blocker?
3 Oct 2018, 14:35 PM

bwtter accuracy means more consistent usability. something most people here crave for. they dont like RN>G

Only in the role of knocking out singular targets. It doesn't help in area denial or saturation. An equivalent increase in rate of fire should provide the same DPS increase against a single target without lessening its ability to blanket a larger area with fire.
3 Oct 2018, 14:41 PM

looks like you are playing linnen forest in 4v4. if you cant have enough skills to combine mortars ats and infantry, just build a 105. it will help you a lot.

or make pak43. it costs almost similar to mortar pit.
3 Oct 2018, 14:47 PM

the point you made about saturation is good.
what if they add a new concept to the mortar: saturation mode where the mortar fires quickly but with less accuracy , and precision mode where the mortar fires slowly but accurately. you can switch between the 2 modes as you like regardless of vet.
3 Oct 2018, 15:15 PM

looks like you are playing linnen forest in 4v4. if you cant have enough skills to combine mortars ats and infantry, just build a 105. it will help you a lot.

or make pak43. it costs almost similar to mortar pit.

Perhaps you dont understand the point that i was making. The change has nothing to do with mode, game size or map.
Let me try to lay it out for you.

Mortars are indirect fire weapons that function as counters to static play, area denial and saturation
Mortar Veterancy 3 reduces the area the mortar shells can land in.
This reduces the ability for them to perform in the area denial and saturation role.
Thus, veterancy 3 is at best a net neutral in terms of what it gives to the unit, and possibly a hindrance.
7 Oct 2018, 00:27 AM

I like the idea. Accuracy helps a lot in single target removal, but sometimes area denial is an important job. Even an additional barrage at vet 3 would be great
7 Oct 2018, 02:35 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

The barrage ability is exactly what this is, an increase in RoF at the cost of accuracy.
7 Oct 2018, 13:27 PM

The barrage ability is exactly what this is, an increase in RoF at the cost of accuracy.

Doesn't the increased accuracy from vet also effect the barrage tho?
7 Oct 2018, 13:29 PM

Doesn't the increased accuracy from vet also effect the barrage tho?

• Veterancy 3 range bonus replaced by 20% increase to barrage accuracy; applies to all barrages except smoke
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★