Login

russian armor

Soviet unit roster needs fixing

2 Oct 2018, 10:57 AM

All this comes from a 2v2 perspective:

Soviets are objectively the best Allied faction and are pretty well balanced with both Axis factions on most maps.

But why is it that despite all the balance work the faction has a trillion units and abilities but only a handful are actually useable? There is a huge gap between strong units that get used every game and the rest.

I really hate that if you want to win as Soviets you need to abuse the same units over and over again or get completly rekt because the rest is trash tier. T70, SU-85, counter-everything Guards, Snipers and Penals are basically the only choice you have. PPSH Cons can be viable but they are limited to a few doctrines and only useful on certain maps.

Conscripts without PPSH are still flat out UP at any stage of the game. They just get bullied by Volks, Grens and Axis elite infantry. The least they could have done is merge the grenade upgrade. 25 fuel just to unlock snares is a bit too much considering how much you need the T70 when you go Cons.

Maxim needs to get better suppression so it can´t just be forced to retreat by a frontally charging Volks that throws a flame nade. Just reduce squad size to 5, make it have a slightly longer build time and increase pop cap by 1 and give it good suppression. That way spamming it isn´t effective but it becomes a useful unit. Right now the Maxim at vet 0 is a joke especially because it requires you to not get sniper+penals. Meanwhile Ost can have actually good units out of T0/T1 without having to lock themself out of a certain group of units. Soviet mortar and AT-gun are OK in my opinion.

M5 HT should get a slight muni decrease or smoke so it becomes a worthwile unit to get instead of no-brainer T70 every single game.

Su76 is a terrible design at the moment. It has 200 penetration and 60 range which is insane for a 75 fuel vehicle. On the other hand the one thing it needs, accuracy, it doesn´t have. The Su76 is supposed to counter LV and help as a stop-gap vehicle vs Ost T3. Decrease the penetration and increase accuracy so it starts to counter LV, Ostwind + Ost P4 effectivly without relying on RNG that much. On top of that SU76 is one of the hardest vehicles to actually use because it cant aim it´s gun so needs to rotate the entire vehicle to aim. Which given how pathing works in COH2 makes it spin endlessly and get constantly stuck at small map objects.

T34/76 is another tank that I personally really dislike because it just loses vs every medium tank in the game. Since Soviets always need to built T3 to get to T4 it´s just not worth it over T70 unless you are already winning the game so hard that it really doesn´t matter what vehicle you get. The timing of the T34/76 is wrong as well. It costs more to field the first T34 76 than to field the first P4 as Ost. You are much better off building T70+SU85 and Katy if opponents has too many support weapons or blobs hard. That being said I I don´t really know how to change the T34/76 without making it too much like the 85 variant.

Soviet Partisans are terrible across the board, I have seen them once in the last months. Not worth it because they just don´t scale at all. Plus they come in bad doctrines, which is another big problem. The entire Partisan doctrine should probably be deleted and instead Partisans should find a new place in doctrines that don´t suck that hard.

Shocktroops are actually decent but they just don´t fit into any Soviet build order unless you gimp yourself by going T2 without PPSH Cons. They dont synergize with Penals because of their cost and lack of AT options. They dont synergize with PPSH Cons because you don´t need them when you already have several PPSH cons.

Dshk machine gun is so bad it makes the Maxim seem good. It has a tiny arc, comes late, costs 300 MP and still doesn´t perform well. Not sure how it was possibly to overnerf it that hard. The doctrines the Dshk comes in are not good so if you pick these doctrines it´s because the Dshk is a strong unit, but in reality it´s not. It has ok suppression and damage but set-up and tear down is too slow to compensate for all the glaring weaknesses it has. Useless unit. Perfect way to lose the game is to pick defensive doctrine or lend lease. Buff the DSHK back to the OP lend lease days. It comes in bad doctrines so it would be completly fine. What made Lend Lease OP months ago was not the DSHK but tech-free M4Cs that could be spammed all game thanks to supply drops. Buffing the DSHK would also make these two doctrines decent again and thus increase variety.

B4 howitzer is not super bad but 100% relies on RNG to do anything. Not a great design but it would be ok if it didn´t come in a terrible doctrine. Again a unit that you can´t really use because the doctrine doesn´t work.

KV1 is still a terrible tank in 2v2+, it does OK if Ost player is not smart enough to get Pak40s or T4 but you can´t count on your opponents stupidity to win a game. It does nothing vs OKW T4 because it can´t pen OKW P4, JP4 or Panther. It needs a bit more penetration or smoke to make it worthwile and comparable to the Churchill.

KV8 and KV2 are meme units at the moment. Not sure if the rework will change anything about that. I am sceptical.

Conscript Repair Kits are terrible and need a buff. Just WAY too slow. You need to keep ALL your mainline combat infantry away from fighting just to get the repair speed of a combat engineer. Complete trash ability. Increase the repair speed.

Incediary Artillery Barrage is fine but way too expensive. It doesn´t kill anything unless opponent is AFK and does absolutly nothing to vehicles. Maybe make it cost 100 muni and increase cool down.

Rapid Conscription is useless since the last nerf. Not enough time, too many units need to die. Worthless muni sink. Not sure why this ability was ever nerfed. Revert the nerfs and make it decent again.

2 Oct 2018, 11:23 AM

Soviets are objectively the best Allied faction and are pretty well balanced with both Axis factions on most maps.

But why is it that despite all the balance work the faction has a trillion units and abilities but only a handful are actually useable? There is a huge gap between strong units that get used every game and the rest.

I really hate that if you want to win as Soviets you need to abuse the same units over and over again or get completly rekt because the rest is trash tier. T70, SU-85, counter-everything Guards, Snipers and Penals are basically the only choice you have. PPSH Cons can be viable but they are limited to a few doctrines and only useful on certain maps.

Conscripts without PPSH are still flat out UP at any stage of the game. They just get bullied by Volks, Grens and Axis elite infantry. The least they could have done is merge the grenade upgrade. 25 fuel just to unlock snares is a bit too much considering how much you need the T70 when you go Cons.

Maxim needs to get better suppression so it can´t just be forced to retreat by a frontally charging Volks that throws a flame nade. Just reduce squad size to 5, make it have a slightly longer build time and increase pop cap by 1 and give it good suppression. That way spamming it isn´t effective but it becomes a useful unit. Right now the Maxim at vet 0 is a joke especially because it requires you to not get sniper+penals. Meanwhile Ost can have actually good units out of T0/T1 without having to lock themself out of a certain group of units. Soviet mortar and AT-gun are OK in my opinion.

M5 HT should get a slight muni decrease or smoke so it becomes a worthwile unit to get instead of no-brainer T70 every single game.

Su76 is a terrible design at the moment. It has 200 penetration and 60 range which is insane for a 75 fuel vehicle. On the other hand the one thing it needs, accuracy, it doesn´t have. The Su76 is supposed to counter LV and help as a stop-gap vehicle vs Ost T3. Decrease the penetration and increase accuracy so it starts to counter LV, Ostwind + Ost P4 effectivly without relying on RNG that much. On top of that SU76 is one of the hardest vehicles to actually use because it cant aim it´s gun so needs to rotate the entire vehicle to aim. Which given how pathing works in COH2 makes it spin endlessly and get constantly stuck at small map objects.

T34/76 is another tank that I personally really dislike because it just loses vs every medium tank in the game. Since Soviets always need to built T3 to get to T4 it´s just not worth it over T70 unless you are already winning the game so hard that it really doesn´t matter what vehicle you get. The timing of the T34/76 is wrong as well. It costs more to field the first T34 76 than to field the first P4 as Ost. You are much better off building T70+SU85 and Katy if opponents has too many support weapons or blobs hard. That being said I I don´t really know how to change the T34/76 without making it too much like the 85 variant.

Soviet Partisans are terrible across the board, I have seen them once in the last months. Not worth it because they just don´t scale at all. Plus they come in bad doctrines, which is another big problem. The entire Partisan doctrine should probably be deleted and instead Partisans should find a new place in doctrines that don´t suck that hard.

Shocktroops are actually decent but they just don´t fit into any Soviet build order unless you gimp yourself by going T2 without PPSH Cons. They dont synergize with Penals because of their cost and lack of AT options. They dont synergize with PPSH Cons because you don´t need them when you already have several PPSH cons.

Dshk machine gun is so bad it makes the Maxim seem good. It has a tiny arc, comes late, costs 300 MP and still doesn´t perform well. Not sure how it was possibly to overnerf it that hard. The doctrines the Dshk comes in are not good so if you pick these doctrines it´s because the Dshk is a strong unit, but in reality it´s not. It has ok suppression and damage but set-up and tear down is too slow to compensate for all the glaring weaknesses it has. Useless unit. Perfect way to lose the game is to pick defensive doctrine or lend lease. Buff the DSHK back to the OP lend lease days. It comes in bad doctrines so it would be completly fine. What made Lend Lease OP months ago was not the DSHK but tech-free M4Cs that could be spammed all game thanks to supply drops. Buffing the DSHK would also make these two doctrines decent again and thus increase variety.

B4 howitzer is not super bad but 100% relies on RNG to do anything. Not a great design but it would be ok if it didn´t come in a terrible doctrine. Again a unit that you can´t really use because the doctrine doesn´t work.

KV1 is still a terrible tank in 2v2+, it does OK if Ost player is not smart enough to get Pak40s or T4 but you can´t count on your opponents stupidity to win a game. It does nothing vs OKW T4 because it can´t pen OKW P4, JP4 or Panther. It needs a bit more penetration or smoke to make it worthwile and comparable to the Churchill.

KV8 and KV2 are meme units at the moment. Not sure if the rework will change anything about that. I am sceptical.

Conscript Repair Kits are terrible and need a buff. Just WAY too slow. You need to keep ALL your mainline combat infantry away from fighting just to get the repair speed of a combat engineer. Complete trash ability. Increase the repair speed.

Incediary Artillery Barrage is fine but way too expensive. It doesn´t kill anything unless opponent is AFK and does absolutly nothing to vehicles. Maybe make it cost 100 muni and increase cool down.

Rapid Conscription is useless since the last nerf. Not enough time, too many units need to die. Worthless muni sink. Not sure why this ability was ever nerfed. Revert the nerfs and make it decent again.

hmm i agree with some of your points

yes i agree entirely that sov is currently limited to a few viable builds unlike OST or OKW which has a variety of effective builds simply because all their units are viable... (few doctrinal exceptions)

1. cons are useless without PPSH... they need a DP-28 at the very least to be viable

2. maxim needs good enough suppression to stop a lone volks from flamenading it... give it MG34 suppression or better

3. the M5 HT needs a buff on the muni cost for its meatgrinder plus either a suppression buff or smoke... its absolutely shit atm

4. the SU-76 as addressed in my earlier SU-76 forum needs to get a penetration decrease in exchange for accuracy buffs... its accuracy is dirt useless atm

5. hmm idk i actually use the T-34-76 as my premier anti infantry tank with a powerful on demand AT grenade...ram is a powerful tool to disable a tank allowing me to satchel it to kingdom come... i do feel like it should come earlier however...

ive had situations where i owned both fuels yet the OKW P4 came at around the same time as my T-34... OKW still lost thanks to ram/satchel but i find it ridiculous that they got a P4 out around a minute or 2 after my T-34 despite losing both fuels early on... i also forgot to mention i got 2 fuel caches on the cutoffs aswell... 2 fuel caches...

tbh i think sov T4 is simply overpriced... maybe reducing the price of SOV T4 would fix this... not sure might be a bad idea...... or better yet give the option of skipping T3 and give T4 a small fuel increase... maybe 110 fuel?

6. i use partisans vs MGs and lone grenadiers when absolutely needed to make a breakthrough... absolutely useless otherwise +1

7. shocks got buffs... theyre good now imo

8. wtf did u do with the DSHK relic? this is simply overnerfing

9. i really dont know how to make the B4 usable tbh

10. no opinion on the KV-1 since i rely on T-34-76s

11. the KV-2/8 got buffs soo lets give it a look see

12. i agree to the next 3 statements...
2 Oct 2018, 12:07 PM

playing sov is boring: spaming penal/ guards into callins. and u know why? because penals and guards so strong (to strong) that they can deal with all targets. Much better than any other squads.
2 Oct 2018, 12:08 PM

playing sov is boring: spaming penal/ guards into callins. and u know why? because penals and guards so strong (to strong) that they can deal with all targets. Much better than any other squads.

thats why you buff the underpowered aspects of sov rather than force their reliance on guards or penal spams... besides obersoldaten chew them up nicely
2 Oct 2018, 12:25 PM

So why your sov rank is lower then sum of all your other ranks and you barely break 50% win ratio?
2 Oct 2018, 12:34 PM

So why your sov rank is lower then sum of all your other ranks and you barely break 50% win ratio?

because hes biased but refuses to admit it... seriously ulumullu play l2p the allies before talking shit in the balance forum... else everyone will continue to disregard your opinion as biased opinions...
2 Oct 2018, 12:37 PM

Did you even read the OP?
2 Oct 2018, 14:42 PM

Merging the Conscript AT and Molotov Grenade was attepted. Huge German player revolt
made them backtrack. However, the price was slightly reduced, I believe.
- Molotov throw time used to be shorter, too. Was increased to, like, twice of Volk's lavanade throw.

- Soviet T4 is insanely expensive next to the Wehr's building cost. Did you guys look at how
cheap Wehr Support Armor building is? 160 manpower, 60? fuel, I think?

But ultimately, it boils down to :
X unit is not the same as unit 3. You should change that.
People, stop bitching about assymetry unless you want Mirror stat factions.

Factions completely identical to each other. All of them.
- Brits don't have AT grenades
- Sov sniper has 2 models
- German tanks need US-Style Crew De-crew (so you can have 25x Panthers)
- British Vickers needs to be nerfed (But please don't give Brits Bunker MGs)
(Remove British Strenghts, but do not replace them with axis abilities)
- Why isn't Pershing as strong as the Tiger, or able to 1-shot Panthers?
- Jackson is too strong, it shouldn't be able to pen Panzer 4s, or Panzer 2s, even.
- Soviet 120mm Mortar is OP. But please don't touch my Railroad artillery, or Stuka
-in-HQ strike.
- Soviet Cons w PPSH are OP, please let them stay useless and easy to bully, plz.
- Why should allies need to pay tons of fuel, etc to upgrade their mainline infantry?
(Brits IS, USF Rifles, Soviet Cons) why can't they get everything free like Germans?
- Why do Penals have SVT40? Elite Rifle! Why Satchels? OP! They're criminals!
- M1 Garand should be OP at all ranges. Notes "History"
- Why can't USF get T0 .50 cal?
- Why can't UKF get mobile mortar?
- Why can't German infantry dual their LMG42 per squad upgrades, throw smoke 'nades?
Also, all German Infantry should be 5 to 6 models (And more numerous than allies)
- Why can't Axis have all commanders at once?
I want my Tiger to have : Scope, Pz4 Command bonus, Hull Down, de-crewable (for free repairs,
and flag capture), smoke, offensive smoke (Sherman style), N-Grenade, topside MG *AND*
topside officer with binoculars (SU85 ability), Jackson's range, immunity to AT *AND* to be
able to 1 shot any allied tanks.

People continually bitch about differences, yet, don't want mirror stat balance.

Why is that?

2 Oct 2018, 14:46 PM

People continually bitch about differences, yet, don't want mirror stat balance.

I don´t bitch about differences. I bitch about most units not being useful and being limited to a handful of units.
2 Oct 2018, 14:50 PM

Merging the Conscript AT and Molotov Grenade was attepted. Huge German player revolt
made them backtrack. However, the price was slightly reduced, I believe.
- Molotov throw time used to be shorter, too. Was increased to, like, twice of Volk's lavanade throw.

meanwhile OST gets free panzerfausts and riflenades upon techup and OKW gets free incendiaries upon truck and free panzerfaust upon techup... i wonder why it takes penal/m3 abuse to finally break that 60-70% okw winrate...
2 Oct 2018, 14:52 PM

I don´t bitch about differences. I bitch about most units not being useful and being limited to a handful of units.

Most bitch about differences.

I do miss when most units were fun, useful. This forever quest for "balance" is a lot about
nerfing close to everything into uselessness. Then people stop using that unit and go for the next
"op" unit and then it, too, has to be nerfed into the ground.

Have you tried Spearhead mod?
Everything is OP! Lol. I find it quite refreshing.
2 Oct 2018, 14:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Oct 2018, 14:50 PMgbem

meanwhile OST gets free panzerfausts and riflenades upon techup and OKW gets free incendiaries upon truck and free panzerfaust upon techup... i wonder why it takes penal/m3 abuse to finally break that 60-70% okw winrate...

- Allies get larger squads and dual upgrades, albeit at a fuel cost.
(Dual bar, Dual bren makes germans howl)
- Germans get 4 men squads on average and are limited to one upgrade per squad, on average.

Yes, there are exceptions.

It's funny how on the forums you see :
USF op!
USF up!
OKW up!
OKW op!

Threads. It's almost like these people aren't even playing the same game.

2 Oct 2018, 15:07 PM

- Allies get larger squads and dual upgrades, albeit at a fuel cost.
(Dual bar, Dual bren makes germans howl)
- Germans get 4 men squads on average and are limited to one upgrade per squad, on average.

Yes, there are exceptions.

It's funny how on the forums you see :
USF op!
USF up!
OKW up!
OKW op!

Threads. It's almost like these people aren't even playing the same game.

sees 30-40% USF winrate.... yes USF OP... nerf USF
2 Oct 2018, 19:15 PM

Major problem Soviets have is late game infantry combat if you dont go Guards or Shocks.
2 Oct 2018, 19:43 PM

Not going to talk about all points.

Agree about bundled grenade upgrade, doesn't make sense to have it different. Since no one else does, not to mention that molotov is infererior to Volks' flamenade in every way better, and anti tank grenade is also weaker than fausts (which is totally ok).

I gave up on SU76 and haven't been building for a long time. It's better to get a Zis-3 or wait for T4. Don't know how to fix them though.

It's better to get 2 t34-76 instead of KV1

T34-76 is a fine tank. It is supposed to lose to any axis medium tank because it's cheaper (even if teching is more expensive) and it's really good against infantry. Their strength is in numbers.

Conscription repair kit is fine imho. It's supposed to be a nice option nothing else. I like it when there are some conscripts in base to repair tanks and I don't have to drag engineers back to base.

Obviously the Soviet is balanced but some of the units are simply lackluster and therefore you have fewer options.
2 Oct 2018, 20:40 PM

They dont synergize with Penals because of their cost and lack of AT options.

Can't agree. Actually they're good with penals as close range fully-AI unit. Agree they don't worth it if ppsh-cons are in charge though.
2 Oct 2018, 20:48 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

A lot of the problems in OP are inconsistant from 1v1. For example the T34/76 is a great tank.

A lot of the problems mentioned are either overshadowed by other units or just cheesey. Not really any way to around that except to redesign units. Guards won't go away so long as their stats are not straight up nerfed to dust since they can trade with elites, are 6 men, and can engage anything. The B4 is inconsistant, but if it wipes anything is immediatly has its value. 1 shot things should be removed from the game. An idea is to make it similar to the sturmtiger in the rework patch.

@Felinewolfie I'd like mirror stats for factions, or at least balanced concepts. Others do not.

2 Oct 2018, 22:03 PM

A lot of the problems in OP are inconsistant from 1v1. For example the T34/76 is a great tank.

A lot of the problems mentioned are either overshadowed by other units or just cheesey. Not really any way to around that except to redesign units. Guards won't go away so long as their stats are not straight up nerfed to dust since they can trade with elites, are 6 men, and can engage anything. The B4 is inconsistant, but if it wipes anything is immediatly has its value. 1 shot things should be removed from the game. An idea is to make it similar to the sturmtiger in the rework patch.

@Felinewolfie I'd like mirror stats for factions, or at least balanced concepts. Others do not.

The real problem with the T34 is teching... SOV t4 needs to be buildable without T3 but cost like 120 fuel... that should diversify strategies
2 Oct 2018, 22:05 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Oct 2018, 22:03 PMgbem

The real problem with the T34 is teching... SOV t4 needs to be buildable without T3 but cost like 120 fuel... that should diversify strategies

lol 220F from start to get t34. yeah no.
2 Oct 2018, 22:09 PM

lol 220F from start to get t34. yeah no.

It currently costs 290/295 fuel to get a T34... ost can get the superior panzer 4 cheaper... true in the right hands the T34 trades better... its still damn expensive
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★