Login

russian armor

Panzer Tactician too strong, prove me wrong.

Panzer Tactician Smoke allows you to cover up almost any mistake or retreat. It's like a get out of jail free card.
Option Distribution Votes
26%
41%
10%
23%
Total votes: 69
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
24 Sep 2018, 13:04 PM

Just a poll to throw in too. But I think this ability has overstayed it's welcome in the Coh2 community and I'm not sure why it's even necessary.

On average axis tanks have more armor than allied tanks and yet they need the survivability buff of the smoke combined with Blitz to do what?

I mean, the main way Soviets used to take down Axis tanks years ago was ram, a sacrificial lamb to take out an axis tank and even if it meant a suicidal attempt on the Soviet side of things the ram was nerfed so hard it's almost never used now. Sure, it was very powerful but nerfing something to the point it isn't viable anymore is just sad and ruins the asymmetrical goal of this game. The squeeky wheels get the grease as they always say, and judging by the numbers more people need to start complaining about allied factions unless you enjoy the search queues going back up to 80-90% axis and 10-20% allies huh? Don't you guys want to have PEOPLE to play against? cause it's slipping back again already.

This single ability is tied to tons of frustration for not only new players, but veterans. I've been training a friend up to be viable at coh2, but his frustration with pop smoke has him begging me to queue as axis instead because he always finds the Wehr a far more reliable, solid faction that he can depend on. That's a noob speaking.. and he isn't exactly wrong.
24 Sep 2018, 13:13 PM

as far as i know... there was a forced ground attack command in every unit with balistic weapon.. but sadly i didnt know what is that thing for...

and if you know that in WW2 RPG-43 AT grenade and Russian satchel design is the most advance thing in the war.. they have advance near-alien level of fire and forget mechanism that why soviet win the war read some history books..
24 Sep 2018, 13:34 PM

Every smoke ability in COH2 should be changed to the UKF/USF design of having to shoot a smoke grenade with your main gun. Just pressing a button to get your vehicle out of a difficult situation is just brainless and stupid. Super annoying IMO.
24 Sep 2018, 13:35 PM

I don't understand why you spend so much time talking about things you're not gonna change. I also don't understand why I always read this. ^_^ lol
If there's anything grossly unbalanced about this game, the professional players will give their opinion and Relic will react at some point. Trust the guys who understand this game down to the last detail.
24 Sep 2018, 13:41 PM

Every smoke ability in COH2 should be changed to the UKF/USF design of having to shoot a smoke grenade with your main gun. Just pressing a button to get your vehicle out of a difficult situation is just brainless and stupid. Super annoying IMO.

If we're going to change anything, the smoke grenade launcher system should remain as it's historically accurate. What could be changed instead is that it takes longer for the smoke to deploy (like with the Sherman) so it can be used tactically, but no longer serves as a last second panic button.

A 2-3 second delay before the smoke effects kick in would nullify its use as a last resort save button while maintaining its use in tactical retreats.
24 Sep 2018, 13:52 PM

Apply the simple solution I always suggest to this problem: adjust cost.

If it’s too good for it’s cost, make it more expensive. If it’s not good enough for its cost, then make it cheaper.

In this case a simple increase to the cost of using Panzer Tactician (stupid name, by the way. Why can’t it just be called smoke dischargers? Lol).

Panzer Tactician is a little too good of a get out of jail free card. BUT if it cost a little more, say 5-10 munitions more, then over using it will cost you the ability to buy LMG42’s and lay teller mines etc.
24 Sep 2018, 13:53 PM

I think it works on vehicles that have it stock because they're balanced around it.

Panzer Tactician adds it to every vehicle OST has, which makes a huge difference to their survivability.

OST has two doctrinal smoke abilities, Smoke Bombs and Panzer Tactician. Smoke Bombs is really useful but Panzer Tactician is substantially more powerful in my opinion.

One solution is to simply redistribute the two abilities.

LIVE
  • Panzer Tactician
    • Blitzkrieg Doctrine
    • Elite Troops Doctrine
    • Festung Armor Doctrine
    • Fortified Armor Doctrine
    • Mobile Defence Doctrine
    • Spearhead Doctrine

• Smoke Bombs
    • Festung Support Doctrine
    • German Mechanized Doctrine
    • Storm Doctrine

REARRANGED (italics have moved)
  • Panzer Tactician
    • Blitzkrieg Doctrine
    • Festung Armor Doctrine
    • Spearhead Doctrine
    • Storm Doctrine

• Smoke Bombs
    • Festung Support Doctrine
    • German Mechanized Doctrine
    • Elite Troops Doctrine
    • Fortified Armor Doctrine

• Reconnaissance Overflight
    • Mobile Defence Doctrine

Restricting Panzer Tactician to four relatively underused doctrines makes those doctrines more desirable. Festung Armor and Storm are barely used and Spearhead already loses out to Lightning War as a Tiger doctrine. Blitzkrieg competes much more strongly with Mobile Defence and Elite Troops if it's the only one that keeps Panzer Tactician.

Elite Troops, Mobile Defence and Fortified Armor lose Panzer Tactician in favour of the more versatile but less responsive Smoke Bombs. Mobile Defence loses smoke entirely, although it might be worth sticking it on the OST Puma as stock in that case.
24 Sep 2018, 14:00 PM

Everything play axis but highest win rates matchups are both sov vs axis faction..
24 Sep 2018, 14:03 PM

Flavor of the last 3 years: Slowly but surely, nerf everything that is potent, no matter the faction or unit, into the ground.

Let's have nothing left when we are done!
24 Sep 2018, 14:12 PM

I don't think it's ever going to be touched, Wehr has a lot of over the top stuff that's been unchanged for years, sadly.
It's really funny when their vehicles can blitz on reverse and pop ninja smoke though.
24 Sep 2018, 14:17 PM

There should be a second balance forum for no-playercard complains
24 Sep 2018, 15:03 PM

Don't sweat it, I've been complainig about this ability for years, the community don't want to admit that panzer tactician is braindead and offers an unfair advantage.
As always you also have that one moron (or two, or three...) who will share stats about how allies dominate the game...

At least making it using actual micro would be a good change, right now is just press a button and gone.
You would think that using it would bleed the ammunition, it's doesn't.

I understand this ability on fragile units though.

Playing against idiots who can simply pull off and save their tanks when you win the encounter is way too frustrating, it doesn't pay off for good players.
24 Sep 2018, 15:13 PM

Keep it for lights, and apply the warspeed treatment for mediums, would be fair
24 Sep 2018, 15:14 PM

it should really have a slight delay the way american smoke does, that ways its less "crutchy"
24 Sep 2018, 15:19 PM

If you did that you'd probably need a visible timer on it so it doesn't feel unresponsive.
24 Sep 2018, 15:39 PM

It would be weaker if we had the option of firing a projectile in a straight line. Attack ground is a coin toss. The firefly rocket is a strong counter to tactician.
24 Sep 2018, 15:47 PM

Attack ground at max range to get the straight line effect.
24 Sep 2018, 15:49 PM

Everything play axis but highest win rates matchups are both sov vs axis faction..

Highest winrates are OKW and Ost vs USF and UKF. You are factually wrong.

OKW vs USF 64%

OKW vs UKF 70%

Ost vs USF 63%

Ost vs UKF 66%

Sov vs Ost 53%

Sov vs. OKW 52%
24 Sep 2018, 15:51 PM

Panzer Tactician is a little too good of a get out of jail free card. BUT if it cost a little more, say 5-10 munitions more, then over using it will cost you the ability to buy LMG42’s and lay teller mines etc.

Agree with that.
24 Sep 2018, 15:54 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Highest winrates are OKW and Ost vs USF and UKF. You are factually wrong.

OKW vs USF 64%

OKW vs UKF 70%

Ost vs USF 63%

Ost vs UKF 66%

Sov vs Ost 53%

Sov vs. OKW 52%

USF and especially UKF were barely used in the tourney. Soviets were used 30% more than USF and UKF combined.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★