Login

russian armor

Battlefield V WW2 - SEPT 4 - Open beta.

11 Sep 2018, 18:29 PM

Battlefield 1943 (the XBox arcade game) has a better way of balancing weapons and “historical accuracy”. They used mirror balancing. It was boring but could easily have been expanded on for a “Battlefield 1944” game.

Do eastern front, 1943-45.

Soviets and Germans have multiple classes that have weapons that are “default” and exactly the same as each other, but you can unlock new guns that are open to both sides. Same goes for vehicles and vehicle upgrades. I’m a gun guy with a love of historical accuracy in games, so I know these aren’t exactly the same, but they could be portrayed as being close enough to be the same.

MP-28 SMG for both sides. Unlocks-MP-38/40, PPD-40, MP-34, PPS-42/43, PPSh-41
M91/30 and Kar98k, plus sniper versions of each plus many many other variations and real life upgrades.
SVT-40 and G43, unlock G41(w), G41(m), AVT-40, SKS-45, SVT-38, MkB-42, MP-43/44/StG-44
Walther P-38 and Tokarov TT-33 unlock P-08 Luger, M1895 Nagant revolver
DP-28 and MG-34 with drum. (Very different in real life but if you tweak them they can be close enough to not be unbalanced. ) Unlock MG-42 and many others

T-34/76 and Panzer IV upgrade to long barrel PIV and T-34/85 plus skirts or top gunner etc

StuG III and SU-85 (many upgrades)

KV-85 and Tiger I

IS-2 and King Tiger

Be-109 and MiG

IL-2 and Stuka

Balance and realism isn’t hard to do. But Dice wants to throw history out and do whatever they want. I used to love Battlefied, but I think I’ll pass on this one and wait for a new Brothers in Arms game.

SKS-44, In 1944 Soldiers of the 1st Belarusian Front used SKS-44, the soldiers liked this carbine very much, but there was some of complaints after which SKS-1945 appeared. In one American book it is stated that American soldiers found German documents on the testing of captured SKS in 1945.

About the game - it's bad:
- A ton of bugs, luggs, server breaks. And this is two months before the release of the game.
- game design and balance of weapons - STG-44 OP and is available as the first weapon, self-loading rifles - no one will use them. Cartridges hunger is a stupid solution - theoretically it pushes to the team game, in reality - everyone does not care, people continue to play solo.
- the game seemed boring to me, for four days of beta I played enough in the game and no longer want to play.
11 Sep 2018, 20:26 PM

If guns were locked by team based then there would have to be mirror balancing for the guns. If the STG was the way it was and locked behind the axis faction only, then everyone would want to play axis instead of allied.

Also bf hasnt had faction based weaponry in a very long time and its never been an issue and there isnt really a point in arguing it now when compared to BF1/Bf3/4 which also had factions using weapons they would never use.
11 Sep 2018, 20:48 PM

BF4 had faction based weaponty under this criteria: You unlocked weapons of your faction as you level up. Then after unlocking all of your weapons on that cathegory for that faction you start unlocking captured weapons (other faction weapons)

Overall i didnt like the game much because of the new ammo mechanics and the whole cinematic feel of the game. And, again, the majority of players running around with automatic weapons. I've grown more confortable with more authentic experiences, like Red Orchestra, Rising Storm or Forgotten Hope.
11 Sep 2018, 21:02 PM

Battlefield 1943 (the XBox arcade game) has a better way of balancing weapons and “historical accuracy”. They used mirror balancing. It was boring but could easily have been expanded on for a “Battlefield 1944” game.

Do eastern front, 1943-45.

Soviets and Germans have multiple classes that have weapons that are “default” and exactly the same as each other, but you can unlock new guns that are open to both sides. Same goes for vehicles and vehicle upgrades. I’m a gun guy with a love of historical accuracy in games, so I know these aren’t exactly the same, but they could be portrayed as being close enough to be the same.

MP-28 SMG for both sides. Unlocks-MP-38/40, PPD-40, MP-34, PPS-42/43, PPSh-41
M91/30 and Kar98k, plus sniper versions of each plus many many other variations and real life upgrades.
SVT-40 and G43, unlock G41(w), G41(m), AVT-40, SKS-45, SVT-38, MkB-42, MP-43/44/StG-44
Walther P-38 and Tokarov TT-33 unlock P-08 Luger, M1895 Nagant revolver
DP-28 and MG-34 with drum. (Very different in real life but if you tweak them they can be close enough to not be unbalanced. ) Unlock MG-42 and many others

T-34/76 and Panzer IV upgrade to long barrel PIV and T-34/85 plus skirts or top gunner etc

StuG III and SU-85 (many upgrades)

KV-85 and Tiger I

IS-2 and King Tiger

Be-109 and MiG

IL-2 and Stuka

Balance and realism isn’t hard to do. But Dice wants to throw history out and do whatever they want. I used to love Battlefied, but I think I’ll pass on this one and wait for a new Brothers in Arms game.

=================

I agree, they could totally have this it this way.
Perfect balancing, historical (cosmetic) accuracy, and no headaches.
I wish you were in charge of Battlefield V then :)
11 Sep 2018, 21:26 PM

BF4 had faction based weaponty under this criteria: You unlocked weapons of your faction as you level up. Then after unlocking all of your weapons on that cathegory for that faction you start unlocking captured weapons (other faction weapons)

Overall i didnt like the game much because of the new ammo mechanics and the whole cinematic feel of the game. And, again, the majority of players running around with automatic weapons. I've grown more confortable with more authentic experiences, like Red Orchestra, Rising Storm or Forgotten Hope.

Did it? I haven't played in a while so I must have messed that one up.

I know BF3 had different starting weapons for the US and RUS faction, and you would unlock both later.
12 Sep 2018, 04:36 AM

=================

I agree, they could totally have this it this way.
Perfect balancing, historical (cosmetic) accuracy, and no headaches.
I wish you were in charge of Battlefield V then :)

And if you still need to appease the customization desires of the masses,(even though individual customization of infantry weapons is basically unheard of in the real world, I didn’t put a scope on my M16A4, the armory did! Lol), you add in only real weapon upgrades that existed. Not an all out do whatever you want, but like the old CoD 4 system where you get only one add on or two if you sacrifice something else, like your special weapon(or a “Perk” in CoD 4).

Weapon upgrade examples, all real and not made up crap.
M1 Carbine:
M1A1 upgrade, folding stock makes handling faster and movement speed faster
M2 upgrade, full auto selector.
T30 (trials only, but plausible to be used.) M84 x4 power scope
M3 upgrade, active infrared night vision scope. Basically the same as the German Vampire scope, except it actually worked well and was issued in decent numbers on Okinawa to army troops. Also full auto, but we can omit that for balance. (Or hey a perk!)
30 round magazines
Bayonet
Improved sights, can act like a low zoom optic to show that the user has a better sights or maybe just an accuracy buff
Compensator, reduces recoil
Rifle grenade launcher, fires riflegrenades of various types
Flash hider, reduced flash and detection on the map.
Jungle style taped magazines, faster reload

Not all guns had this much level of customization in real life, but it’s just an example of what can be done without inventing fake “lense scopes” and “red dot style sights”.

Sorry. Rant over. Lol
12 Sep 2018, 20:37 PM

If guns were locked by team based then there would have to be mirror balancing for the guns. If the STG was the way it was and locked behind the axis faction only, then everyone would want to play axis instead of allied.

Also bf hasnt had faction based weaponry in a very long time and its never been an issue and there isnt really a point in arguing it now when compared to BF1/Bf3/4 which also had factions using weapons they would never use.

- STG44 as first weapon is to make players want to buy the game. I expect first weapon to NOT be STG44.
(At launch)
- BF1942 fixed this by giving allied assault the BAR (Everyone had a BAR) which had 100% same stats
as the STG44.
- Yea, mirror stats is needed, else everyone only wants to play Axis.
- True. It's interesting that it's mostly only WW2 that has all these purists.

A man named CODGUY just insulted the way modern FPS’ are being made.......
There’s at least a little bit of irony there. Lol

- He's special. Writes a lot on COH2 forums.
- He's said multiple times that he wishes the SS Obersoldaten and American GI would just
both be blue eyed blondes who lay down and start snuggling, look deeply into each other's
eyes and... well...

Remember Hollywood's Ghost in the Shell with Scarlet Johannson. No blacks, no asians, no women.
Just aryan albino versions of Dwayne Johnson. With the exact same face. Soft romantic moments.

Did you know CODGUY watches a LOT of Oiled Pro Wrestling?
No V in my games, he says. He's also campaigning for all females to be removed from all other games.
Inc Mario Bros. Sigh.

And if you still need to appease the customization desires of the masses,(even though individual customization of infantry weapons is basically unheard of in the real world, I didn’t put a scope on my M16A4, the armory did! Lol), you add in only real weapon upgrades that existed. Not an all out do whatever you want, but like the old CoD 4 system where you get only one add on or two if you sacrifice something else, like your special weapon(or a “Perk” in CoD 4).

Weapon upgrade examples, all real and not made up crap.
M1 Carbine:
M1A1 upgrade, folding stock makes handling faster and movement speed faster
M2 upgrade, full auto selector.
T30 (trials only, but plausible to be used.) M84 x4 power scope
M3 upgrade, active infrared night vision scope. Basically the same as the German Vampire scope, except it actually worked well and was issued in decent numbers on Okinawa to army troops. Also full auto, but we can omit that for balance. (Or hey a perk!)
30 round magazines
Bayonet
Improved sights, can act like a low zoom optic to show that the user has a better sights or maybe just an accuracy buff
Compensator, reduces recoil
Rifle grenade launcher, fires riflegrenades of various types
Flash hider, reduced flash and detection on the map.
Jungle style taped magazines, faster reload
Not all guns had this much level of customization in real life, but it’s just an example of what can be done without inventing fake “lense scopes” and “red dot style sights”.
Sorry. Rant over. Lol

- I agree. The upgrade system of COD4-COD5 is interesting.
I've been playing Red Orchestra 2 a lot. I wish they used a similar system.
1-2 STG44, 1-2 MG, 1-2 Snipers, the rest regular soldiers with a few engineers
and officers and Anti-tank soldiers :)

More immersive.
But someone mentioned that Battlefield is for the masses.
Not the purist.

Take a look at Battlefield 2's Forgotten Hope 2
There was also Battlegroup42 I think, a mod for Battlefield 1942 that was nice.
12 Sep 2018, 20:38 PM

And I agree.
That reflex sight and that holo red dot sight just drives me nuts.
12 Sep 2018, 21:04 PM

I’m mostly just annoyed that developers do so much work to “invent” things to make the game unique and interesting when there are plenty of real life examples that go unused.

If you wanna put women in the game, make them Russian, not British or German. If you wanna our red dot sights on guns, then make a game set in the 2000’s or later. Seriously guys.... c’mon.
12 Sep 2018, 22:02 PM

I’m mostly just annoyed that developers do so much work to “invent” things to make the game unique and interesting when there are plenty of real life examples that go unused.

If you wanna put women in the game, make them Russian, not British or German. If you wanna our red dot sights on guns, then make a game set in the 2000’s or later. Seriously guys.... c’mon.

IIRC the concept of red dot-type sights existed at the time but wasn’t widely used. I think the only functional examples were in AA weapons and planes but I don’t remember too much about it. They probably didn’t work very well either but neither did the vampire IR thing.
12 Sep 2018, 23:03 PM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vice_asset_uploader/files/1418339932jakub_ralski_project_1920_robots_poland_876_791_1418294620.jpg

This just in, they've added giant mecha to make the game more immersive.
PS: You can micro purchases to tailor the mecha's uniform to your taste.
It comes with a 12-yr old japanese girl school uniform.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/5f31/f/2014/345/e/3/o_a_m_grizelda_wrath_by_ku_on-d89ap3n.jpg

http://www.bostonbastardbrigade.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Izetta-2016.jpg

9: Izetta: The Last Witch

izetta-2016

Alternate history can be a tough thing to do, but Aija-do Animation Works' Izetta: The Last Witch brought to the table a beautiful (and often action-filled) tale of a princess and witch out to save their country. The World War II elements brought forth some chilling comparisons to the real fight and struggle, while sprinkling a surprisingly good amount of magic to both Princess Finé and Izetta. While the show struggled a bit in the middle to jam so much back story, the finale between Izetta and White Witch clone Sophie proved to be a gorgeous in-flight battle that led towards the finest WWII what-if scenario since Inglorious Basterds.

13 Sep 2018, 01:58 AM

This game is a joke. Go play BFBC2.
13 Sep 2018, 02:12 AM

I cant believe they are keeping the god awful credit system that was universally hated from SWBF2. Not to mention the p2w arcadish attachment system from it instead of BF4 gun attachment model. Hell I would have even preferred the bf1 different gun models then a credit system.
13 Sep 2018, 09:46 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Almost all players in the server with STG44 (with scope LOL) is a retard thing.

GG DICE.
13 Sep 2018, 12:35 PM

IIRC the concept of red dot-type sights existed at the time but wasn’t widely used. I think the only functional examples were in AA weapons and planes but I don’t remember too much about it. They probably didn’t work very well either but neither did the vampire IR thing.

No.

Actually you’re kinda right. Lol

The concept of a holographic sight, like a modern Eotech sight, was used extensively on aircraft and, like you said, some anti aircraft mounts. By most accounts they worked quite well, especially on later war US aircraft.

But true red dot sights use an LED to project the dot. LEDs didn’t exist at the time.

But more importantly, neither red dot sights nor holographic sights were ever used on any small arms (rifles, pistols, shotguns, machine guns, SMGs, etc.) by anyone. They were too big, bulky, fragile and were less precise than traditional iron sights.

A more interesting way to differentiate the speed of target acquisition would be to portray the iron sights correctly where a peep sight (M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903A3 Springfield, No.4 Lee-Enfield) is a major advantage over a notch and post (Mosin-Nagant, M1903 Springfield, Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk III*) or notch and barleycorn (K98k, G43, StG44, pretty much everything German.)
13 Sep 2018, 13:27 PM

How is a peep sight superior to a notch sight?
13 Sep 2018, 17:17 PM

How is a peep sight superior to a notch sight?

I’m glad you asked! Lol

It’s widely understood that peep sights are superior notch sights for several reasons, most of which don’t translate well to video games but are critical in real life for achieving accurate and precise shooting.

1. Sight radius. Peeps are generally farther back on the rifle and closer to the eye. Sight radius is the distance from the front sight to the rear sight. Longer sight radius is better for precision.

2. Ease of use. It’s a whole lot easier to look through a hole that’s right up to your eye and tell if the front sight is directly in the middle of that hole vs trying to tell if the front sight is in the middle of a “V”. This is especially true on German style “barleycorn” sights where the front post is a triangle in a V. It’s not as bad if you have a square post and a square notch. Also, you can get closer to a peep sight and give yourself a better view of your target by pressing your cheek closer to the sight. This simply doesn’t work on notch sights that are farther forward on the rifle.

A great comparison of the two (or three if you distinguish between barleycorn and square posts) can be seen on the early WWI vintage M1903 Springfield rifle’s vs the WWII updated M1903A3 rifles. The A3 has a peep sight that is infinitely better than the old style.

This distinction on type of sighting system is often overlooked when discussing a rifles accuracy. In practical matters the M1 Garand was (and still is lol) a more accurate rifle than the K98k, just because it had better sights. While the K98k is an inheritor more accurate system, it suffered from the sights on it and the mass production numbers it was needed in. The same is true for the M1 Garand. Both rifles are only about 3-4 moa rifles, which means about a 3-4 inch group at 100 yards/meters and about a 9-12 inch group at 300 yards/meters. This is plenty accurate for combat as the average man is about 19 inches wide at the chest.

Long story short, peeps are better because they are easier to learn and more precise once you learn them and faster once you learn them too. Accuracy is in the shooters ability to shoot and read the sights more than the inherit accuracy of the rifle.

13 Sep 2018, 20:47 PM

- I've fired a number of rifles, usually using ironsights or scopes,
but never peeps.
- Most games show the K98 as the superior ranged rifle compared to the
Garand which has a higher Rate of Fire but is the inferior marksman rifle.
The Springfield being preferred.

And now you say the Garand is more precise than the K98? :)
Ah, nice series of precisions there. An american general said the M1Garand
was simply awesome. Patton?

Interesting. I'll have to go fire one now :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 16
Germany 1
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak