Login

russian armor

demo charge bonus damage against uncrewed support weapons

27 Aug 2018, 19:44 PM
Patrion 26

9/10 demos are/were not used for blob denial but to casualy wipe a squad here and there, which is cheesy af and way too cost effective. While there's no denying that there need to be effective blob denial tools, demos are not suited for it.

You say that but youtube is full of videos of blobs being utterly annihilated by a demo (there are some great videos). At one point it was pretty much a COH2 meme. That said they were almost always from 4vs4 games, which are always just blob orgies, so that doesn't really count for anything.

I agree that they were OP when you could easily wipe a full vet squad for just 90, that did need to be fixed, but they went too far the other way and now demos are pretty much useless. They need to be given a useful role again, and I think at the very least denying support weapons is a good start.
27 Aug 2018, 20:12 PM

I agree that they were OP when you could easily wipe a full vet squad for just 90, that did need to be fixed, but they went too far the other way and now demos are pretty much useless. They need to be given a useful role again, and I think at the very least denying support weapons is a good start.

This is exactly why I said they can never be balanced as squad killers, because either they'll be too powerful (frustrating for enemy) or too weak (frustrating for user). It's a lame mechanic either way so I too would propose to make it a utility tool instead. Destroy sandbags, wrecks, walls, team weapons, whatever.
27 Aug 2018, 20:16 PM
Patrion 26

This is exactly why I said they can never be balanced as squad killers, because either they'll be too powerful (frustrating for enemy) or too weak (frustrating for user). It's a lame mechanic either way so I too would propose to make it a utility tool.

I completely agree with you, maybe lower the price to 45 and allow it to destroy support weapons and cover.
OKW salvage is free but it takes awhile and it's (infuriatingly) easy to lose a squad to one lucky mortar/howie hit, because they all clump up while they're doing it. Ideally that also needs to be changed so only one model does it while the rest of the squad stay spaced out, but that's another discussion.
27 Aug 2018, 23:41 PM

As I see it, the main problem with old demo was that you could put it in the middle of the road, and enemy soldiers would need sweepers to see that huge charge over there. So maybe the right solution would be to give demo its old camo and cost back, but only when it is placed in cover or when you click on the building. Otherwise it would work like current demo, without a camo.

I thought the problem was you couldn't cap with anything other than something with minesweepers or else you risked losing the squad. Which is a pretty awful problem.
28 Aug 2018, 03:30 AM

9/10 demos are/were not used for blob denial but to casualy wipe a squad here and there, which is cheesy af and way too cost effective. While there's no denying that there need to be effective blob denial tools, demos are not suited for it.

1st. you are full of shit. Demos were used a lot to deny blobs (even if you didn't get the blob blown up, the psicological factor alone made blobbers much more cautious)

2nd. demos are cheesy, but tellers and s-mines aren't? LEL
28 Aug 2018, 03:36 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

:clap: :hansREKT: ^ this guy is calling the sanderman out :banana: :rofl:
28 Aug 2018, 04:31 AM

65 now, and in the early and mid game it would be very useful. That's exactly the time when you want to deny them support weapons but don't have an AT gun in position (and even when you do it takes awhile) or good enough/safe armour yet.

If you don't have time to safely steal it, and know they are about to re-take it you can destroy it. There have been loads of times I've needed to do that in 1vs1s.

It would make demos useful and finally give them utility beyond blowing up buildings.

I could also see it as a beautiful way of setting traps for infantry. Maybe that along with reducing squads to one man and giving it the old camo along with increasing the sweeper detection range would really go a long way to making them usable again.
28 Aug 2018, 17:21 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Aug 2018, 23:41 PMKoRneY

I thought the problem was you couldn't cap with anything other than something with minesweepers or else you risked losing the squad. Which is a pretty awful problem.

This is a huge oversimplification of the matter. First of all, capturing points with a lonely squad always means that you risk it, apart from early game where there are no demos either. You might get flanked by infantry blob or AI tank. You might get gunned down or granaded by an infiltration squad such as commandos or german stormtroops. You might even stand upon a goliath or booby trap. So no, old demo is not an outlier here. It actually blends in perfectly.

Another thing is that it is not exactly true that to avoid being demoed you need to always take a sweeper squad with you. Many players used to estimate the position of enemy combat engineer squad and send sweepers only to the points where they used to be. It is a very effective way of narrowing down the places where demo can possibly be. Players also used to play mind games similar to the one caused by mines - guessing which spots are popular for demos and trying to move your capturing squad into a position where a demo is very unlikely, also choosing accordingly safe path by for example jumping a fence.

If demos were only possible to set up on building and cover, it would be much easier than that to avoid. All you would have to do is send your capturing squad in the open ground and you would be pretty much safe.
29 Aug 2018, 03:49 AM

This is a huge oversimplification of the matter. First of all, capturing points with a lonely squad always means that you risk it, apart from early game where there are no demos either. You might get flanked by infantry blob or AI tank. You might get gunned down or granaded by an infiltration squad such as commandos or german stormtroops. You might even stand upon a goliath or booby trap. So no, old demo is not an outlier here. It actually blends in perfectly.

Another thing is that it is not exactly true that to avoid being demoed you need to always take a sweeper squad with you. Many players used to estimate the position of enemy combat engineer squad and send sweepers only to the points where they used to be. It is a very effective way of narrowing down the places where demo can possibly be. Players also used to play mind games similar to the one caused by mines - guessing which spots are popular for demos and trying to move your capturing squad into a position where a demo is very unlikely, also choosing accordingly safe path by for example jumping a fence.

If demos were only possible to set up on building and cover, it would be much easier than that to avoid. All you would have to do is send your capturing squad in the open ground and you would be pretty much safe.

But... but... I just want to blob all my infantry and not have to worry about anything like “mind games” or “thinking”. I just wanna a move my entire army and win.

Sarcasm aside, I like the point you make in your last paragraph and I think it’s a pretty strong argument for that kind of change.
29 Aug 2018, 07:57 AM

That is what satchels are for. Timed demos would be just redundant. LoopDoop's idea to give a short timer after detonator has been clicked is much better.

Nahh, it isn't redundant cause is locked in tier one, with penals in t0 i could agree but this is a good idea. Useful to destroy weapon or base. Static stuff.
29 Aug 2018, 13:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Aug 2018, 03:30 AMzerocoh

1st. you are full of shit. Demos were used a lot to deny blobs (even if you didn't get the blob blown up, the psicological factor alone made blobbers much more cautious)

2nd. demos are cheesy, but tellers and s-mines aren't? LEL

I'd love for you to show me all those replays of high ranking players who lost entire blobs to demos. As far as I recall, it happened way more often that lone squads got blown into oblivion. Convince me otherwise. I'm not talking about four digit ranked games here.

No one said anything about tellers or S-mines and no one ever claimed they are not cheesy, so I have no idea why you bring that up. I don't agree that tellers can oneshot some light tanks such as the T-70 and I wouldn't mind seeing suppression added to S-mines. In any case these can be sweeped properly anyway while demos in their current implementation can not. Minesweeper squads will bug out and walk into the demo when ordered to shoot it, and demos can't be seen with the default camera when they are hid behind buildings or obstacles.
29 Aug 2018, 14:23 PM
Donator 33

Vonivan and others made it a daily trend to eliminate Paula blobs usually with a demo or two, so your either really new or didn't see Paula and Sprice. The legends of A move who sent many goats to the sacrifice to not be demo countered. Incendiary demo even that would be something to guarantee a house burns down, dunno just something would be great.
29 Aug 2018, 15:11 PM

Sure, it was devastating, but a player should also use sweepers to guide his blobs either way

I only say Ostheer-S-Mines with it's shields… xDD

Demo is fine as it is now. Put it behind buildings, or simply destroy OKW base with it.

Soviets don't need more tools do handle Blobbs, stock T34/76 is one of best infantry killer ingame. Even its machine-gun is op as hell, doing as damage as all 3* Mg34 of Panzer 4 with update.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★