Login

russian armor

Impact of smoke on AT grenades

12 Aug 2018, 01:07 AM

@matrix300

Ppshs increase close dps but reduce far dps creating a role change. STGs increase all dps making them more effective at range and even more effective upclose-there is not ever a single reason in the entire game under no scenario that upgrading to STGs is a bad move at all ever. You can still use them to sit behind green cover and shoot at cqb units or rush them in to eat long range units. That is my point. So yea, there would be no reason to restrict the mp40 upgrade imo as it HAS DRAWBACKS.
Building a lot of cons without the ppsh ability is a losing strat because while you are spamming rifle infantry the enemy is matching you AND has an upgrade that increases their DPS, in the case of okw WITH NOT A SINGLE DRAWBACK. You can't just build cons like you can volks and transition into the late game. You will NEED guards or penal to stand half a chance.

Ptac is already a 1 click wonder, if the enemy has snare infantry in range YOU failed to provide proper support and yes you desire to get snared. The pfaust on anything but volks should also apply to that.

Also-fausts can be used against buildings and shit, so maybe THAT'S the "counter weight" *if others do it should all of then*
12 Aug 2018, 03:17 AM

im a mostly ost player, i think its fine as it is

if you have trouble with your smoke, you dive to much ^^
12 Aug 2018, 10:10 AM

So I did some testing myself and it turns out this issue is a symptom of something different.

The Panzerfaust and USF AT Rifle Grenade require the squad itself to have line-of-sight and the other snares don't.

USF AT Rifle Grenades and OST/OKW Panzerfausts require the squad itself to have line of sight to the target vehicle for the firing animation to start. If the squad itself doesn't have line of sight when the animation starts the ability will cancel. Once the animation starts you're safe: if you lose LoS during the Panzerfaust animation the ability will still fire.

Other AT grenades do not require the squad itself to have LoS: provided the player can see the vehicle the squad will throw the snare.

This doesn't just apply to smoke. They'll throw their snares through hedges and buildings too if they can get the target in range.
12 Aug 2018, 15:45 PM

@matrix300

Ppshs increase close dps but reduce far dps creating a role change.

Conscripts aren't meant to fight long range battles so it isn't a role change

there is not ever a single reason in the entire game under no scenario that upgrading to STGs is a bad move at all ever.

Doesn't the same apply to US LMGs and PPsh 41 too?

Building a lot of cons without the ppsh ability is a losing strat because while you are spamming rifle infantry the enemy is matching you AND has an upgrade that increases their DPS

Those upgrades cost ammo which you can spend on other stuff.

You can't just build cons like you can volks and transition into the late game. You will NEED guards or penal to stand half a chance.

Only building Volks will get you also into trouble since they aren't that great when unupgraded and even with Upgrade they are not some kinda of "Ultra-Terminator" squad. And using Cons in late game acutally works. They are a decent infantry unit for their price.

Ptac is already a 1 click wonder, if the enemy has snare infantry in range YOU failed to provide proper support and yes you desire to get snared. The pfaust on anything but volks should also apply to that.

So if Russians snare thought buildings and smoke it is ok and deserved but not so if the same happens with Volks ?

Also-fausts can be used against buildings and shit, so maybe THAT'S the "counter weight" *if others do it should all of then*

Oh yea ... slightly damaging buildings is a really good counterewight to beeing able to throw AT nades even throught you have no LoS. If only Russians had this ability too ... something which could get used as AT nade and Building destroyer ... something like satchel.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2018, 10:10 AMLago
So I did some testing myself and it turns out this issue is a symptom of something different.

The Panzerfaust and USF AT Rifle Grenade require the squad itself to have line-of-sight and the other snares don't.

USF AT Rifle Grenades and OST/OKW Panzerfausts require the squad itself to have line of sight to the target vehicle for the firing animation to start. If the squad itself doesn't have line of sight when the animation starts the ability will cancel. Once the animation starts you're safe: if you lose LoS during the Panzerfaust animation the ability will still fire.

Other AT grenades do not require the squad itself to have LoS: provided the player can see the vehicle the squad will throw the snare.

This doesn't just apply to smoke. They'll throw their snares through hedges and buildings too if they can get the target in range.

Thanks for the testings. In my opinion this makes the whole situation even more broke. Just imagine getting snared out of nowhere.
12 Aug 2018, 16:44 PM

Thanks for the testings. In my opinion this makes the whole situation even more broke. Just imagine getting snared out of nowhere.

You still need one squad with LoS on the vehicle to do it.

Tbh I'm not sure is this possible to fix, it may be an animation bug with the panzerfaust and USF AT grenade.

If it is possible to fix I'd lean towards removing the LoS check from all snares rather than adding it to SOV and UKF. The cancelling snares still allow you to target them when they can't actually be thrown so they feel unresponsive.

Doesn't the same apply to US LMGs and PPsh 41 too?

No.

The USF BAR, OST G43 and OKW STG are the only weapon upgrades I can think of which are absolute improvements: the other weapon upgrades make the squad worse in some respect. LMG upgrades make squads trash close up and don't fire on the move, SMG upgrades make squads trash at range.
12 Aug 2018, 17:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2018, 16:44 PMLago

The USF BAR, OST G43 and OKW STG are the only weapon upgrades I can think of which are absolute improvements: the other weapon upgrades make the squad worse in some respect. LMG upgrades make squads trash close up and don't fire on the move, SMG upgrades make squads trash at range.

With "Lmgs" I also meant the BARs (always forget that they more act like Stg 44s and thus aren't "real" Lmgs in this game).And is it really that hard when Cons long range DPS gets decreased? I mean they already aren't that great on long range so you basically always have to get close to the enemy.
12 Aug 2018, 18:09 PM

nd is it really that hard when Cons long range DPS gets decreased?

Normal conscripts can fight at range just fine, like Riflemen.

The PPSh's damage drops off almost entirely beyond 10m range. If a PPSh Conscript squad fights outside of effectively melee range it's doing about half the damage of a normal Conscript squad.

It's like having half a Conscript squad fused with half a Shock Troops squad, minus the body armor.
12 Aug 2018, 20:00 PM

Ahh so I just checked the log and they removed the minimum range for rifle and fusilier AT nades in the last patch. My mistake. That said, there is still an animation bug that allows it to cancel just like the faust, but I don't know where you get smoke issue from because a variety of things can cause it.

My main objection is how you feel this is an major problem for axis when they have the most tank smoke AND their tanks all have speed boosts. I feel like you have yet to address that...

Conscripts aren't meant to fight long range battles so it isn't a role change

Thats not the point though. It still nerfs their long range dps whereas, Stgs is a buff to Volks at all ranges. Hence why that upgrade is among the dumbest things in the game, it's a total no brainier
12 Aug 2018, 20:18 PM

Let them fire through smoke and just decrease the accuracy to like 40%. Actually, maybe they can make panzerfausts fire like Tulip missiles, but after their natural range the missile just drops to the ground. Honestly I'd be fine with all tank grenades needing to be thrown and not just point and click abilities. If it lands on the tank it will stick. I think its just ridiculous to watch a car drive by an infantry group at top speed and the bomb the infantry squad throws follows it around like something out of Looney Toons. Incorporate some skill into it.

Then massively nerf armored cars.
12 Aug 2018, 21:26 PM

Thats not the point though. It still nerfs their long range dps whereas, Stgs is a buff to Volks at all ranges. Hence why that upgrade is among the dumbest things in the game, it's a total no brainier

No one cares that it nerfs their long range DPS, when you have strong received accuracy bonuses, 6 men (3 of which can be lost with no effect to overall close DPS) and a sprint ability. Making it a "no brainer" upgrade.
12 Aug 2018, 22:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Aug 2018, 16:44 PMLago

Slight corrections + additions.

ARs/SMGs also have focus fire false which tend to deal some damage on miss rolls. You were missing also the IR STG which beats the best long range bolt action rifle (Obers) at practically every range plus having better stats against garrison/cover.
Might as well mention here the Thompson for either Ranger/Paras. You already don't want them fighting at 30 range, so the dmg drop off after upgrading is meaningless.

The concept of LMG been trash at close range is practically false. Unless the enemy unit is able to dance around you forcing the LMG model to spin around, the damage difference is negligible and almost only applying to a small range. While you lose "chasing capabilities", the moment you have an upgrade weapon, you are better doing an attack move order and staying still.
The only squads this DPS disparity might be appreciable are with Paratroopers and Commandos, with Commandos been the only one with a drawback IMO.

Even SMG which have a bigger drop off effect, they are absolutely "no brainers" as the alternative is not much better as oppose to the benefits added. Even the Volks Mp40 upgrade which makes you lose far range dps and lava nades, gives you way better close range dps, smoke/frag nades and better RA.

The only choices which have a really repercussion are either thinking Commandos with Brens is a better investment than putting them on any other squad and upgrading units with AT packages.

12 Aug 2018, 22:49 PM

The concept of LMG been trash at close range is practically false.

I was referring to the LMG itself because of the inverted damage profile, not the LMG squad. A Gren Squad's still got three models with the default guns.
12 Aug 2018, 23:25 PM

Making it a "no brainer" upgrade.

Did Ppshs become stock? They are absolutely not a "no brainier" upgrade. Conscripts aren't even a no brainier unit. Penals are better on many maps

Stg volks are the absolute definition of no brainier. You get them any game regardless of the situation
12 Aug 2018, 23:30 PM

Did Ppshs become stock? They are absolutely not a "no brainier" upgrade.

The fact that it comes in a doctrine has no bearing on its "braininess." No one, who has selected a doc with pssha cons thinks to themselves "You know what, I want my Conscripts to stick at long ranges so that they can continue to have mediocre damage, I wont upgrade them."
12 Aug 2018, 23:41 PM

The fact that it comes in a doctrine has no bearing on its "braininess." No one, who has selected a doc with pssha cons thinks to themselves "You know what, I want my Conscripts to stick at long ranges so that they can continue to have mediocre damage, I wont upgrade them."

You literally bypassed a decision in your explanation of why it's not a decision. Ppshs won't factor at all into your commander choice?

You can debate my wording more if you want, there's no debate that stg Volks are blatantly more common than ppsh cons
12 Aug 2018, 23:43 PM

You literally bypassed a decision in your explanation of why it's not a decision.

Because it's a completely different decision. If we want to factor All decisions into it, why not include which faction one is playing. "You literally bypassed a decision!" Hey why not include playing Coh2 vs coh1? Another you have bypassed.

12 Aug 2018, 23:50 PM

Because it's a completely different decision. If we want to factor All decisions into it, why not include which faction one is playing. "You literally bypassed a decision!" Hey why not include playing Coh2 vs coh1? Another you have bypassed.

Really dude? I'm talking ones you make during a match. Choosing to have ppshs on your cons happens during a match. If you don't see the difference here I don't know what to tell you

12 Aug 2018, 23:58 PM

Really dude? I'm talking ones you make during a match. Choosing to have ppshs on your cons happens during a match. If you don't see the difference here I don't know what to tell you

Because if you have access to them, you upgrade to them without thinking.

Also if you happen to load out all 3 slots with Pssha Cons, that would make it a no brainer in your eyes, yes?

EZ PZ
13 Aug 2018, 00:08 AM

Also if you happen to load out all 3 slots with Pssha Cons, that would make it a no brainer in your eyes, yes?

Do you play the soviets at all? No one who does would ever do that
13 Aug 2018, 00:26 AM

Do you play the soviets at all? No one who does would ever do that

Sure, but in that case it would be a "no brainer," right?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★