Login

russian armor

BRITISH COMMANDER REVAMP DISCUSSION

24 Jul 2018, 10:27 AM
Senior Editor Badge

Im bringing to you a new way to use the Royal Artillery Regiment and of course the new Tactical Support Regiment.

All abilities in this new Royal Arty Regiment is about the type of QF25 Pounders shells will shoot from the base. If you want any arty shell you need Tommys/sniper to call the arty. Only the QF25 Pounders from the base will shoot shells and any off-map shells are disabled in this commander.

My idea with that is a better and constant usage of QF 25 Pounders from the base. If want a different type of ammo just active the ability. If you want normal HE shells just call the arty without any ability.

Valentine and Sexton are moved to the new Tactical Support Regiment. Think like the Calliope is in the US Tactical. ;)

Royal Artillery Regiment

0 - Flares
QF25 Pounders fire flares rounds at your order. These flares have a parachute. They fall slowly in the area.

0 - Incendiary Rounds
QF25 Pounders fire incenadiary rounds at your order.

0 - Smoke Shells
QF25 Pounders fire smoke shells at your order.

0 - White Phosphorous Smoke Barrage
NQF25 Pounders fire White Phosphorous Smoke Barrage at your order.

0 - AP Rounds
QF25 Pounders fire AP rounds at your order.

***NEW Vet abilities for QF25 pounders

Vet 1 - Enable 25 QF Pounders Crepping barrage
Vet 2 - Enable 25 QF Pounders HE Time Defuse rounds
Vet 3 - Enable 25 QF Pounders to Perimeter Overwatch ability

New Tactical Support Regiment

3 - Designate Command Vehicle
Designate a target vehicle as a Command Vehicle. The Command Vehicle will improve nearby units and increase the recharge rates of commander abilities.

4 - Air Resupply Operation
Air support will automatically drop medical and weapon supply crates on targeted friendly territories. Infantry units will move and reinforce faster in friendly territory.

6 - Forward Observation Post
Designate an occupied ambient building as a Forward Observation Post. This building can direct air and artillery support with unique abilities.

6 - Observation Detachment “Valentine”
A Valentine Light Tank can be deployed to the battlefield.

9 - Artillery Support Group “Sexton”
A Sexton Self-Propelled Gun can be deployed to the battlefield.

25 Jul 2018, 08:58 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

The BRI commanders are few, but very varied in abilities, but some of them are garbage:

Royal Arty Regim:
-Perimeter Overwatch, replace it with something else, maybe self-repair.
-Fix Valentine pop, Sexton more range, and if possible nerf the beam of the valentine/HTinfrared okw (this should never have existed).

Tactical Support Regiment
-ForwardObservationPost, It is very late and very scarce to use, and buged the maps when this ability is used (an icon appears in the center of the map), therefore replace with another ability
25 Jul 2018, 16:05 PM

Command Vehicle and Air Resupply operation are fine as they are, artillery cover is very expensive but also has huge radius and is anti everything so not sure if it could use a cost reduction or not.

call in only one engineer at a cost of 250 since it comes with minesweepers and the ability to recover wrecks, you don't need 2 and its kinda hard to float so much mp, can remain at 4 cp there shouldn't be that many wrecks lying around at that point anyway.

The artillery cover serves as your late game ability no need for forward observation point remove it and replace it with an early game ability.

I would say 2cp US mortar Half track call in, its mobile and comes with 4 different mortar shells to support your units, it fits the support theme of the doctrine.

Royal Artillery Regiment

First 2 abilities are fine though i recommend using infantry to trow flares since its way cheaper.

Valentine not sure about this unit, either make it an anti infantry that arrives at 4cp because 6cp is a bit late for an infantry killer, in this case lock the Infra Red ability behind Hammer/Anvil Tactics so it cant be abused in the early game. Second option keep it at 6cp make it a puma clone, capable of fighting pumas and harassing medium tanks.

Sexton I only use this to punish OKW Forward bases but usually a mortar pit can do the same, maybe replace its vet 1 ability with counter barrage like the LEfh so it can counter those pesky arty units.

Last ability remove perimeter overwatch replace it with forward observation post, allow both ambient buildings and forward retreat points to be upgrade to forward observation post.

Reason being it will otherwise be very map dependent and unusable after a while since buildings are easy to bring down late game. But in order to encourage players to use the ambient buildings, Forward retreat point gets a higher cost for upgrading like 400 mp since you already spent 250 on the thing and 80 fuel, you keep reinforcement but lose the forward retreat ability.

I have never used or have been on the receiving end of the observation post abilities so I have no idea if this high mp and fuel cost is fair or not, so the values are up balance teams

I think these changes would make both doctrines more appealing.
26 Jul 2018, 07:50 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jul 2018, 16:05 PMJZuna

I would say 2cp US mortar Half track call in, its mobile and comes with 4 different mortar shells to support your units, it fits the support theme of the doctrine.

I do like the idea of giving UKF access to a mortar halftrack.
26 Jul 2018, 12:36 PM

Two commanders need a revamp: Royal Artillery Regiment and Tactical support regiment

1. Royal Artillery Regiment

1. Flares - it's a usefull ability and it should stay
2. Concentration Barrage - valentine can call artillery base, Tommies can call hq 25p, and sextons - too much. Replace it with artillery field officer.
3. Observation Detachment "Valentine" - It's okish tank but that has too high CP requirement. Or buff it or reduce CPs.
4. Sexton - My personal suggestion would be to swap sexton with 25p available in all units mod
5. Perimeter Overwatch - enough of this artillery call in abilities. It needs something different here. It should work like zeroing artillery from OKW commander.

After revamp it should be
1. Flares
2. artillery officer squad
(available in beta and all unit mods)
3. valentine
4. 25p emplacement
5. Perimeter Ovewatch

If it would help with UKF design (which mostly lacks of 3 things: snare, light indirect fire and late game indirect fire - becouse mortar pit as middle ground doesn;t work).

Move sexton to a T3 upgradable like comets or churchills. Buffed unit that could fire and suppress infantry to stop huge moving blobs maybe with vet1 ability as fragmentation bombs. Add some extra abilities to the tech as well.

2. Tactical Support Regiment

To much ammo heavy.
1.Designate Command Vehicle - remove or make UC becoming Command Vehicule. Replace it with a Scoped Rifles
2. allow those pios to upgrade with flamethrower. Reduce to 1 squad and reduce price.
3. Air Resupply Operation - it's fine
4 and 5. Artillery Cover and HQ - sadly 1 of this have to go. Almost all abilities are base on ammunition - that's too much. Replace with call in tank: m10 or sherman version with 75mm.
26 Jul 2018, 14:44 PM

If a lend lease Sherman isn’t added to a new commander then it should be added to an existing one.

I also like the idea of the valentine becoming a dedicated anti infantry tank. Combine the roles of a Stuart/T-70 like infantry killer, except slower and with more health and armour. Basically a light vehicle gun mounted on a small vehicle that has the armour and health of a medium tank but is slower than a medium tank and has a much less powerful gun vs armour. This way it can’t fight medium tanks and needs AT support to protect it from AT vehicles.

26 Jul 2018, 14:53 PM

If a lend lease Sherman isn’t added to a new commander then it should be added to an existing one.

I also like the idea of the valentine becoming a dedicated anti infantry tank. Combine the roles of a Stuart/T-70 like infantry killer, except slower and with more health and armour. Basically a light vehicle gun mounted on a small vehicle that has the armour and health of a medium tank but is slower than a medium tank and has a much less powerful gun vs armour. This way it can’t fight medium tanks and needs AT support to protect it from AT vehicles.

Yep, if it possible sherman and stuart should be added to the new or revamped commnaders.
26 Jul 2018, 20:32 PM

Another idea for valentine remove Infra red ability and replace with recon mode unlocked at vet1 and gets more vision at vet2 like t70.

Reason being when the commander came out you could use arty flares in the fog of war so infra red spotting made sense.

But now you need vision so a recon mode is better also arty like sexton is more accurate if you have vision and it would also encourage players to use the valentine as a unit instead of parking it behind a house for the whole match, assuming it gets an AI role it would make the unit far more valuable.
27 Jul 2018, 10:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jul 2018, 12:36 PMStark
5. Perimeter Overwatch - enough of this artillery call in abilities. It needs something different here. It should work like zeroing artillery from OKW commander.

Imo it would it allot better both thematically and for design point of view if Over-watch was replaced from "counter battery" from Advanced Emplacement Regiment (AER).

The ability should not be available to Advanced Emplacement Regiment in the first place since it has improved emplacement in the first place and can counter their natural counter indirect fire. AER could than get redesing version of Overwatch. The new Overwatch would aim at sector and have 25p and mortar pits automatically fire at the target in the sector on any units seen within that sector. Now the player using AER would actually have to actively counter attacks on his emplacements to gain LOS on that sector.

The royal artillery commander on the other hand would be more specialized in dealing with enemy artillery.

As for valentine my suggestion would be remove radar and balance as normal unit. Make radar an upgrade similar to command vehicle giving penalties to vehicle and being limited to 1.
27 Jul 2018, 10:43 AM
Donator 11

Arty Regiment:

1. 3CP - Early Warning
it's good enough.
2. 4CP - Valentine
Buffed to have far better anti-infantry like the T70/Greyhound;
map hack nerfed to behind vet 1;
remove the coordinated fire ability.
3. 4CP - the Valentine coordinated fire ability becomes a stand-alone ability for all units.
It can replace Concentration Barrage.
4. 9CP - Sexton
Buffed like Priest power.
5. 10CP - Perimeter Overwatch.
Replace it with 1CP - USF mortar or 2CP - soviet 120mm mortar

Vanguard Operations

1. 1CP - Raid Operation
switch icon to the ability Raid Tactics(recon support company) icon.
2. 3CP - Forward Logistics Glider
spawn a Valentine not an Airlanding officer;
remove forward retreat point;
remove the possibility to create more commandos and medics;
remove the possibility to reinforce the infantry squads.
3. 6CP - Vehicle Crew Repairs
it's good enough.
4. 12CP - Strafing Support
modify stats of the ability so that it matches that of IL-2 Sturmovik Attacks Soviet ability.
5. 13CP - Vanguard Operation "Crocodile"
modify stats of the main cannon so that it matches that of the Churchill MKVII.

27 Jul 2018, 19:36 PM

My Recommendations-

Tactical Support
2 Ordnance 4.2in Mortar (use model of soviet 120mm, slighty faster and weaker)
4 Field Recovery (now ~230mp, only comes with one squad)
4 Air Resupply (now costs something like 300mp, 50mu, for consistency with other air drops and to reduce munitions drain)
10 Artillery Cover
and either 2 Command Vehicle or 6 Forward Obs. HQ (reduced prices)

Artillery
3 Early Warning
3 Base Howitzer Smoke (30-40mu) (reduces number or redundant artillery options, adds utility to commander)
5 Valentine (combat abilities buffed some)
8 Sexton (increase damage or radius a bit)
10 Perimeter Overwatch (limit to one sector, reduce price)
3 Aug 2018, 14:31 PM

Special weapons regiment

[2CP]
Call-in Tank Hunters Infantry Section.
Tank Hunter Infantry Sections can be deployed. They are equipped with Boys AT Rifles and can detect nearby vehicles. They also have access to anti-vehicle HEAT grenades.

Cost 300 manpower.

[2CP]
(Passive) Demolition Charge upgrade.
Royal Engineers can now deploy Demolition Charge.
Cost 90 munitions.

[3CP]
Call-in 81mm USF Mortar squad.

Cost 240 manpower.

[4CP]
M3 Supply Halftrack. Dispatch a Resupply M3 Half-track.

This Half-Track can reinforce units and deploy Bren or PIAT weapons on the frontline.

[13CP]
Vanguard Operation "Crocodile".

Nearby batteries will fire a quick illumination shot to the deployment point, while a Churchill crocodile is deployed
Cost 700 manpower and 180 fuel.

Special weapons regiment
British forces lack of variety on different terrains, so the Special weapons regiment can fix this problem by sending "special" units on the battlefield. Tank hunters infantry section can be a soft counter to light vehicles and if enemy goes into a hard defense or securing an urban territory you can call-in 81-mm USF artillery, Churchill "Crocodile" or place Demolition charges to deal with the entrenched enemy forces. M3 Halftrack will supply and reinforce your units for continuous attack.

Tactical support regiment

[2CP]
Designate Command Vehicle.

Designate a target vehicle as a Command Vehicle. The Command Vehicle will improve nearby units and increase the recharge rates of commander abilities.
Cost 75 munitions.

[4CP]
Air Resupply Operation.

Air support will automatically drop weapon supply crates on the targeted area. Drops Vickers HMG and QF-6 Pounder AT gun.
Cost 120 munitions.

[6CP]
Call-in USF M5A1 Stuart.

Can't be decrewed.
Platoon Command Post required.
Cost 270 manpower and 70 fuel.

[10CP]
Artillery Cover.

Artillery will automatically attack units in the area. Vehicles will be hit with disabling howitzer fire, while infantry will be suppressed with light artillery fire.
Cost 200 munitions.

[10CP]
Forward Observation Point.

Forward assembly point can now be upgraded to Forward Observation Post providing direct air and artillery support with unique abilities.
Cost 300 manpower and 60 Fuel.
Mutually exclusive with other upgrades.

Tactical support regiment.
Tactical support regiment means that victory forges not only on the front line. Close air support, reconnaissance planes, heavy or light artillery support and resupply crates. All are available with that commander. Designate command vehicle to spot the enemy forces, equip your troops with the proper team weapons and engage them with full strength. If things goes wrong, Forward Observation Point can cover your retreat.
3 Aug 2018, 17:11 PM

Dont know if someone mension that but what u guys think about command tank stick with valetine then we always have command valentine at cp maybe 4 ? Without map hack and without that sexton ability.
This change will buff commanders with command tank and valetine
3 Aug 2018, 22:09 PM

Dont know if someone mension that but what u guys think about command tank stick with valetine then we always have command valentine at cp maybe 4 ? Without map hack and without that sexton ability.
This change will buff commanders with command tank and valetine

This could work, but then again what would the Valentine (now a command tank) be doing in the Royal Artillery? It wouldn't benefit the point of the commander anymore without it's map hack and sexton victor target.

It should then be replaced by that Artillery Officer or 25 pounder emplacement if so, or something else that would make sense and actually benefit Artillery.
19 Aug 2018, 17:27 PM

Hey guys, I've scanned this thread so sorry if i end up repeating what people have said, but there's some things I think are worth mentioning.

I think we need to focus on what's going to make british usable, not what we think would be cool or quirky.

so things like adding the scot/honey etc, we already have aec which is really good anyway and light vehicle generally affects only a 10 minute portion of the game. Not that this isn't important, panzer 2 or puma play can straight up win you the game, but british don't really struggle here, especially with how quick you can get a cromwell/centaur out if you want one. In my opinion brits struggle very badly in the late game. they struggle against LefHs, mobile mortars and panther dives due to lack of snares. As well as british infantry are all very expensive other than sappers so the late game blob fests are nearly always won by OKW as they trade out with you better.

Changing the valentine is fiddly, it's never going to be as good as the cromwell, or if you buff it, it becomes literally a cheaper cromwell. It's radar ability is really good, yes, but nerfing and changing it is pretty harsh as you cant fire anything into the fog of war anyway and remember OKW already have the infra red halftrack as stock. Although it's not quite as good as the valentine's it costs 5 fuel and comes earlier, in my opinion that is OP not the valentine. So nerfing the valentine literally is just buffing OKW.

It's very difficult changing the base 25 pdrs as at the end of the day they are basically free and unkillable. However if I go royal artillery, the only dedicated artillery commander in the game, I would expect the best artillery in the game, not the worst.

My opinion on royal artillery is it actually wont take much to make this commander useful, I would propose:

1. Early Warning: Early warning should be changed to be identical to other artillery flares where you get one flare but get to choose the location of the flare.

A small view of random sections of the map is not useful and it costs far too much anyway for something based on luck to find what you are looking for and only covers frontline sectors anyway. The valentine already gives you a view of frontline sectors for free, why would I pay for the same ability. In order to make most of the royal artillery regiment useful, this commander needs it's own PROPER recon, like the other artillery flares or a recon flyover in order to find and counter LeFHs or spot other targets further back than the frontline without relying on an american ally with a major. Someone suggested swapping this for a command vehicle which would also be good because command vehicles can call in recon.

2.Concentration barrage: This used to be the most OP ability in the game, it could be cast through FoW and all airburst shells landed on the marker meaning you could just snipe OKW trucks and LeFHs etc. They essentially double nerfed it by getting rid of the firing through FoW and dispersing the airburst shells.

That change essentially means that whilst LeFHs and ML-20s can be fired into fog of war, the british equivalent can't. In fairness the british equivalent can't be destroyed so it's not completely unfair, but with the change to early warning, this ability becomes a lot more useful as you can actually use it to counter LefHs which is what it should do. Alternatively, you could remove airburst and allow it to fire into FoW, this also seems fair to me as whilst LefHs can be fired for free, they can be destroyed, meanwhile 25 pdrs can't be destroyed but require munitions to fire.

3.Valentine: As much as people complain, the valentine is pretty good, it'll beat up a panzer 2 if need be and the recon is godly and the sexton ability is just downright funny if you get the chance to use it, it can also deploy smoke for your infantry to push mgs as well which is definitely underused.

Perhaps it could be better in combat. the issue is buffing the cannon makes it just a cheaper cromwell, I suppose you could make it fill a similar niche to the puma? like a light tank destroyer might be cool, but the easiest thing to not screw with balance is buff the MGs like the AEC, that way it won't replace the cromwell like the AEC did for a bit and will be good enough to actually fight infantry and hold off panzer 2s etc if need be. I personally like the idea of adding the valentine as a buildable unit at 0 CP from the platoon command post then at 8 CP you unlock the recon ability, seems fairer to me. Makes it actually usable in the early game as a light vehicle but then can revert to it's original use at 8 CP.

4. Sexton: It's a pretty good unit tbh, people always say it needs more range.

If they made concentration barrage to be used with an accurate artillery flare to counter LefHs it wouldn't need the range upgrade. It only feels like it has bad range because you can't counter LefHs with it in my opinion. If you give the regiment the ability to counter LeFHs, the sexton can be used for its intentional use of killing blobs to defend points and squashing mortars and infantry support guns which it does really well already.

5. Perimeter overwatch: Everyone knows it's bad. It's better than people think, but it's bad still.

Use it when the enemy has 50 points left and you have 2 capture points and you win, it's just a niche win button. Either they need a new ability or to fix this one. Best way to fix this is make it 'Sector' overwatch where the 25 pdrs (and maybe all sextons?) work like OKW sector artillery and rapid fire on everything in a chosen sector. For the price (250 muni) I would expect to be able to choose any sector, alternatively decrease the price to 120-150 muni and it could be only owned sectors making it great for defence if you increase the firerate or give it a mix of HE, Airburst and AP shells or something.

Alternatively you could just trade this ability for some other artillery strike or something, maybe railway arty/240mm whatever it's called? like special weapons reg gets?

Also if we're revamping commanders, I would be more than happy to trade the first commander abilty from every regiment for tank hunter sections. Brits need a snare desperately.
19 Aug 2018, 17:34 PM

P.S.- 25 pdr emplacements... my arse is still raw from the pounding I got from 25 pdr emplacements as panzer elite in coh1. :P
19 Aug 2018, 20:00 PM

P.S.- 25 pdr emplacements... my arse is still raw from the pounding I got from 25 pdr emplacements as panzer elite in coh1. :P

Really? I just counter raped them with Hummels and Hotchkiss Walking Stukas.
20 Aug 2018, 11:54 AM

Really? I just counter raped them with Hummels and Hotchkiss Walking Stukas.

I never said I was any good at CoH1 XD
20 Aug 2018, 12:47 PM

There is no way to revamp brits to be a fun addition to the game
20 Aug 2018, 14:55 PM

There is no way to revamp brits to be a fun addition to the game

Bullshit, just because you don't know how to doesn't mean there is no way.

Of course I can try but I won't waste my time trying to prove some random stranger on the internet that'll just say he doesn't even care even if I do.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★