Login

russian armor

Relic Update COH Online Domain

26 Jun 2018, 00:22 AM
26 Jun 2018, 00:45 AM

i wish they do, playerbase will increase imo, at this point wouldnt be a bad idea
26 Jun 2018, 03:50 AM

Does 'updated' include just renewing the domain? Because I doubt they'd want to let something that represented their intellectual property fall into third party hands.
26 Jun 2018, 12:30 PM
Donator 11

26 Jun 2018, 13:11 PM

"The last update for the COHO domain was 2015-04-14."
- It is 2018. Who cares.
26 Jun 2018, 14:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2018, 12:30 PMMittens

This is what I was thinking.

To my understanding Im pretty sure they were looking into F2P just around the time of WFA and that there was a build that was also circulating in 2014 with ofc the battlemap and multiplayer campaign map.

OR maybe coh3 will be f2p and the'll tout it as "this is the next step for the RTS model".

Because that worked so well with C&C Generals 2.
26 Jun 2018, 15:33 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Because that worked so well with C&C Generals 2.

The game and studio died way before that.
26 Jun 2018, 15:36 PM
Donator 11

[I posted this in another thread but It would fit better here]
Picture this...

New version of Essence engine, re-done art assets ported from coh2, add Italian faction, Mediterranean campaign.
We already know you can port assets from Coh1 into coh2, IMO its possible to port Coh2 assets into the next build as IMO they are still using essence.

CoH3/Online - Multi-theater company of heroes "games as a service" with payable cosmetics and armies.

Relic: Split in two with one side working on AOE4 with Microsoft, the other working with SEGA on CohO / Coh3.
26 Jun 2018, 17:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2018, 15:36 PMMittens
[I posted this in another thread but It would fit better here]
Picture this...

New version of Essence engine, re-done art assets ported from coh2, add Italian faction, Mediterranean campaign.
We already know you can port assets from Coh1 into coh2, IMO its possible to port Coh2 assets into the next build as IMO they are still using essence.

CoH3/Online - Multi-theater company of heroes "games as a service" with payable cosmetics and armies.

Relic: Split in two with one side working on AOE4 with Microsoft, the other working with SEGA on CohO / Coh3.

This sounds likely sadly, they have probably heard of Generals 2 so they won't attempt to go that route, but it's possible to do with CoH2 what Blizzard did with StarCraft 2, making it F2P after what, 8 or so years? Just in a shorter time.

But yeah in general, a CoH3 being F2P and chopped up in DLC (Armies, Campaigns, Commanders, Cosmetics) sounds like Relic right now, they saw how they can manipulate the masses with the monthly OP DLC commanders that cost 5 bucks each, they saw that a lot of people didn't like the campaign too much and that the Ardennes Assault was just too expensive so they will surely make it completely optional and they saw that selling Armies individually also works.
26 Jun 2018, 17:46 PM

This sounds likely sadly, they have probably heard of Generals 2 so they won't attempt to go that route, but it's possible to do with CoH2 what Blizzard did with StarCraft 2, making it F2P after what, 8 or so years? Just in a shorter time.

But yeah in general, a CoH3 being F2P and chopped up in DLC (Armies, Campaigns, Commanders, Cosmetics) sounds like Relic right now, they saw how they can manipulate the masses with the monthly OP DLC commanders that cost 5 bucks each, they saw that a lot of people didn't like the campaign too much and that the Ardennes Assault was just too expensive so they will surely make it completely optional and they saw that selling Armies individually also works.

Not sure if they will do DLC commanders again. Campaigns why not, I think this is legit to sell them as DLC and Army if you pay them once and there isn't extra DLC units (like commanders), there is nothing wrong with that.
26 Jun 2018, 18:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2018, 17:46 PMEsxile

Not sure if they will do DLC commanders again. Campaigns why not, I think this is legit to sell them as DLC and Army if you pay them once and there isn't extra DLC units (like commanders), there is nothing wrong with that.

Oh they will, believe me, they will, why? I already presented the example, the month old OP commanders that were released numerous times, a lot of people complained about it but most bought it and Relic noticed that, that's why they continued to do it.

What will make them change their mind, who will boycott it, at most like 20 or so people, the rest will buy them.

Now if they were loot boxes or could be presented as such yes, there would be a reason for them not to include them, but they aren't and we all know if not Relic then SEGA loves their money and will push for more DLC no matter what if it's legal.

Unless of course you're right because there was no DLC for Dawn of War 3 that was Pay to Win, only cosmetical such, but I think they played it safe and waited to release such DLC after they tested the waters so to speak since perhaps it was obvious from the first time they actually released a gameplay trailer of the game that it might flop, or someone from SEGA told them to play it safe, wo won't know for sure.
26 Jun 2018, 19:20 PM

What will make them change their mind, who will boycott it, at most like 20 or so people, the rest will buy them.

Dunno, maybe the fact that they stopped to do it some years ago. Maybe because following the gaming industry and entertainment market and the disastrous experience EA had with BF2, there is a switch in editor mentality.

I really don't think DLC OP commanders will be seen in COH3 or whatever next iteration of the franchise. We may even see them disappear from the game and see new mechanism being implemented.
26 Jun 2018, 21:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2018, 19:20 PMEsxile

Dunno, maybe the fact that they stopped to do it some years ago. Maybe because following the gaming industry and entertainment market and the disastrous experience EA had with BF2, there is a switch in editor mentality.

I really don't think DLC OP commanders will be seen in COH3 or whatever next iteration of the franchise. We may even see them disappear from the game and see new mechanism being implemented.

It's a different time too now. A lot of large companies are either getting a ton of backlash over pay to win bullshit (i.e. EA over Battlefront 2) or are shifting away completely from gameplay-changing purchaseable stuff. Battlefield V won't even have paid DLC and is opting for the whole "games as a service" thing.
26 Jun 2018, 22:27 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The biggest problem with this game is the low player numbers. So much would be improved by getting more souls into automatch and ranking. It's a bit sad that i'm considered top 30 lol. It would do much better with some more competition entering the scene.

I'm all onboard with F2P as long as Relic can moderate it, but I doubt they will go that far. If I had to bet I'd say they are going to release the vanilla factions for free so they can still make dlc money.
4 Jul 2019, 00:00 AM
Patrion 310

A tidbit of news.
source:
http://whois.domaintools.com/coh-online.com

Relic have updated COH Online Domain for the third time since 2015:

Updates:
1) 2015-04-14
2) 2018-06-16
3) 2019-06-20

In comparison, companyofheroes.com domain has not been updated since 2017-09-14.

I'm not convinced this game will be FTP. Maybe Xbox Game Pass.
But at very least I hope they go FTP with CoH2:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/90739/company-of-heroes-2-going-f2p
Google + Youtube search facts that support CoH2 F2P (base game).

Free CoH2 keys giveaways, December 2017 & 2018:
Big spike in CoH search, Google and Youtube.
1) December 15, 2017 | Humble Store GIVEAWAY
Company of Heroes 2 is free on the Humble Store for a limited time:
https://www.techspot.com/news/72333-company-heroes-2-free-humble-store-limited-time.html
2) December 6, 2018 | CoH2 5th Anniversary GIVEAWAY
https://store.steampowered.com/news/46547/
In celebration of the 5th Anniversary, get Company of Heroes 2 for FREE starting now until December 10th at 10AM Pacific Time! Once you add the game it will remain in your account after the free period, so don't miss out!

Source: Google Trends
Youtube
Google

CoH2 discounts/giveaways devalue the base game.
Steam selling base game for 19,99€ make Relic/Sega vulnerable to re-sellers such as Kinguin and G2A (the secondary market/gray market).

The truth behind those mysteriously cheap gray market game codes
https://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/8006693/the-truth-behind-those-mysteriously-cheap-gray-market-game-codes
Gravity Ghost isn't the only title on sale at Kinguin, or at its competitor G2A. On these and similar marketplaces you can pick up just about any game you want, including triple-A titles, often at huge discounts. Steam keys, Origin keys, gift keys and even codes from the back of pre-purchased retail game cards — these storefronts have it all.
*SNIP*
R told us that he makes between 1,000 and 1,500 Euros in total revenue per month on his store, or between $1,100 and $1,700. During the holidays, he says, that can rise to more than $2,200 per month. We asked if this was his full-time job, to which he responded, "Something like that." We can't really be sure if his store on Kinguin is his primary source of income.

OUR SELLER SEES MONTHLY REVENUE OF $1,100 TO $2,200 PER MONTH

From the perspective of consumers, the sale of gray market games makes sense. Sometimes people receive games as gifts, or as promotional offers and either do not want them or do not need them. Promotions like Steam discounts and Humble Bundle sales are timed offers, and invite those with the means to make speculative purchases, investments of a sort, where game keys are farmed with the intention of selling them later for a profit.

4 Jul 2019, 00:19 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

F2P encourages more cheating, no? My only concern.
4 Jul 2019, 15:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2018, 00:45 AMLuciano
i wish they do, playerbase will increase imo, at this point wouldnt be a bad idea

I agree. Sometimes it takes ages (up to 15 minutes) to find a game.
4 Jul 2019, 16:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jul 2019, 00:19 AMSpanky
F2P encourages more cheating, no? My only concern.

Could just make ranked play have a minimum level that takes a while to get to (5-10hrs?).

8 Jul 2019, 11:29 AM

Could just make ranked play have a minimum level that takes a while to get to (5-10hrs?).

I approve.
3 Aug 2019, 23:36 PM
Patrion 310

Updated again for the fourth time this month, 2019-07-27
Relic surprise game to be announced at this year Gamescom?

Total updates since 2015:
1) 2015-04-14
2) 2018-06-16
3) 2019-06-20
4) 2019-07-27

The domain is currently in "redemption period", this "surprise game" might get a new publisher (not Sega).

Re-post Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/clp741/relic_update_coh_online_domain_for_the_fourth_time/

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight